L'Occitane
www.loccitane.com Aix-en-Provence, France 5000+ Employees

L'Occitane Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

L'Occitane Directeur Exécutif, Président du Conseil d'Administration et Président Directeur Général Reinold Geiger

Reinold Geiger

Pros:
  • "Great products, most stores are quite beautiful"
    in 15 reviews
  • "It is easy to sell because it works"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lack of work life balance - taking personal or sick time is frowned upon"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Snooty Upper Management (especially some of the women there sheesh)"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great products, terrible management

Sales Associate/Keyholder (Current Employee)

ProsThe products are all wonderful and the customers are usually very kind. Very easy job once you get the hang of it

ConsI am very dissatisfied with the management in the stores. They are unprofessional (ie talk about employees to other employees) and generally pushy. The DM is incredibly condescending and treats all sales associates like we know nothing, regardless of prior experience and education. While not described as such in store policy, the sales approach is aggressive. Contrary to the L'occitane management, some people really do just want to browse and that should be respected

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to respect your employees. If you treat us with respect, we will work harder and enjoy what we do. If you treats like dirt, we will have no loyalty to the job. No one wants to work in a disrespectful environment.

It was okay, very glad to have moved on.

Corporate Office (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat Products and philosophies. They do a great job at building beautiful stores.

ConsI know it from the day I started. Corporate Culture is bad, like really bad. Executives are very snotty and only hire people that are like them. I recall a time when a VP made fun of me and I overheard him. I mean really? The work was very under stimulating, I was bored to tears.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new VP Management Team, there's not one person on that team that is likable.

Decent pay, good products, bad location

Danbury, CT

ProsManagement and training was very supportive and respectful (especially regarding work-life balance), there's continual education opportunities for new product lines, and a great employee discount.

ConsKeeping in mind that this is a luxury brand, there's no commission on sales. There is, however, a shared store bonus that everyone earns if the store hits its monthly goal. Since I worked in a very low-volume store that had horrible positioning in the mall where we were located, I never got this bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think some better commission or bonus packages would be very helpful in motivating employees, given the amount of product knowledge they have to learn throughout the year and the price of the products being sold.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great growth opportunities

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSeveral associates complain they do everything a manager does. And if you work for a great manager you would really believe this. Managers are expected to make personal sales goals, store goals and all operations. Having only pt associates makes stronger store managers. If associates are interested moving up it is possible with hard work and flexibility. We get the opportunity to try new products for free and get training with all new products
     Senior management shows appreciation for hard work when deserved. This is the first company in over 10 years of retail I felt like a person and not a number. Goals are based on numbers the previous year so no goal is unattainable like several stores I have worked for. I have bonused 9 of 12 months this fiscal year.

ConsIf you are in a select number of stores you may have a bad experience due to management or lack there of. You may also work in an area with only 1 or 2 stores which is harder to move up. Operations are a constant change without direction from people who will actually be using the forms.

Advice to Senior ManagementInclude store managers when making forms for daily and weekly use.

Wonderful job,

Key Holder (Current Employee)
    Westlake, OH

ProsNice people, great Boss, flexible hours, clean and easy job,

ConsNo opportunity for full time

Advice to Senior ManagementMore store needs to be open, with full time benefits

Fun job for someone interested in skin care

Malibu, CA

ProsGreat products
    Great training
    Good work/life balance
    If you enjoy the people you work with, it's a good place to foster friendships
    Promote from within

ConsCaters more towards a mature consumer with mature skincare needs.
    Low Pay

The brink of disaster

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful products, noble company aims, amiable premise and pleasant work environment can lull employees to docility. The average day can be extremely varied for both retail and corporate employees alike which is great for people who fear boredom. All in all, the potential is there for this to be a job which can inspire and truly become a career.

ConsThe company or rather middle and upper management know all this and use it to exploit employees constantly. An average new part timer will most likely have a key, work whole shifts alone, have to make the stores sales goal and respond to emails from upper management that ask questions like: What happened yesterday? (in regards to Sales) There is no way to win in that situation. If it was snowing and that's noted they don't care and view it as making excuses. If it was a staffing issue you are insubordinate to your boss by saying so. Yet, if you don't respond and leave it for management that is worse. There is so much to tell of how delusional this hokey company can be I would be verging on a rant by doing so. Honestly this brand is expanding so rapidly there is no way for it to retain its integrity and uphold its "just shy of high end" place on the market. All senior management will do is raise prices to uphold brand integrity but care nothing for the best product of the brand, it's employees. L'Occitane employees operate in a mom and pop shop mentality. You will expected to clean floors, unpack shipments, offer facials and email sales and shipping reports which can be confusing for people from other brands where job titles and descriptions are finely delineated by role, which are both valued and respected. At the end of the day, employees are expendable and that's what Senior Management wants, another head on the chopping block to be offered up for bad decisions which were out of the hands of the average employees to begin with. 10 years from now, it will be just another Bath and Body works hopefully bought out by a larger company which will reign in the upper management's propensity for megalomania.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about the brand that you work for rather than burning through money and employees to justify careless haphazard attempts at getting promoted. Your work should show results years after you've moved on.

God awful management

Part-Time Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsPay is decent.
    Employee discount is decent.
    Products are amazing.

ConsVery aggressive selling strategy.
    Managers tend to micro-manage and lack tact when they are supposed to be leaders.
    Promote people with no experience. Our store manager had no professional experience prior to being given the store. She had been a sales associate for 1 year. She was horribly unorganized, extremely unprofessional and stole product. One night after leaving a movie theatre and the store was closed, we saw her bringing shipment boxes from the store to her car. Other employees allege they would visit the store during the day and notice it would be closed for a couple hours. It was later realized that the manager would leave the store to go on interviews and non-work activities.

Great products, some great people, unnecessary stress

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

Pros-If you are lucky and get to be a part of a fun and supportive team then it helps a lot.
    -Products are wonderful
    -The customers are great
    - Company contests
    - Gratis (typically $35 worth, except when the new Divine came out)

Cons-As a sales associate you are still required to be as responsible as the manager and ASM. The pay difference is so great but you still end up doing more than the ones in charge. The motivation to move higher in the company isn't there. My manager and ASM were burnt out and always complaining, the last minute campaign requirements were very unorganized, the amount of emails the district gets is unnecessary, micromanaging is not effective, etc. There is such a lack of sensitivity and so much hypocrisy the higher you go. Obviously a business wants to sell but the way they push (especially when DM and regional visit) is ridiculous. Your experience of the company definitely depends on which district you are a part of. The DM was very fake in mine, my manager cheated on her hours, and in general the people in charge were the ones who made me hate the job. Some of the higher ups aren't even aware of the crap they say.

-A friend of mine from another district said their DM made a "selling point" for a HAIR oil that could be used as an "EYE MAKEUP REMOVER" as well... The same DM that pushes skincare (they all do) was so ignorant to forget only ophthalmologist approved products can be used around the eye. And don't get me started on an insensitive email that my Regional Manager sent one day when sales were low. I loved the boutique and there were wonderful customers but I just ended up hating everything about the job that was bs.

-The price of the products keep going up.

- They have eco-friendly products yet our store didn't even have a recycle bin or a way to recycle all the glass containers from products once samples were used up.

- Tiny backroom that was dangerously over-packed with shipment

- Always a computer issue at the worst times

- The company wants sales and complains about stores going over hrs when paying employees. They expect too much even when there would usually be just one person in the store. With too many customers and one associate, some sales would always be lost

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being hypocrites, care more for your employees instead of finding better ways to sell with your scripts and such. Happy employees want to keep their jobs and are better at selling without the pressure and nonsense.

The experience was fine but management was difficult.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThe gratis was great and full size. I enjoy the district I was in with other managers. Love the team I had

ConsAlways changing every week the koi. Then include Divine cream as a kpi. No matter if my skin are was above the goal of 25% to sales, mostly at 35%. Yet get in trouble because of it not being Divine cream. Before I left, many people were leaving, dm, regionals, corporate people became dm. It was crazy. By the way they do not promote from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork in the store all day and nt for drive by pop in.

Worked for L'Occitane? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at L'Occitane reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for L'Occitane CEO Reinold Geiger. All 128 reviews posted anonymously by L'Occitane employees.