L'Occitane
www.loccitane.com Aix-en-Provence, France 5000+ Employees

L'Occitane Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

L'Occitane Directeur Exécutif, Président du Conseil d'Administration et Président Directeur Général Reinold Geiger

Reinold Geiger

Pros:
  • "Great products, most stores are quite beautiful"
    in 15 reviews
  • "It is easy to sell because it works"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lack of work life balance - taking personal or sick time is frowned upon"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Snooty Upper Management (especially some of the women there sheesh)"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company in need of improvement

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsAbove minimum wage rate. Paid training. Generous employee discount.

ConsSalary not commensurate to duties and responsibilities of sales associates who pretty much are expected to do everything the manager does. Bonus scheme too low. Working alone in store for several hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more financially generous in rewarding your front liners. They are the face of L'Occitane, the ones who put a face to the brand so treat them as you would yourselves. While the products are good, it's the sales people who keep clients coming back for more. It's the service and the experience these associates provide that create loyal customers.

Horrible company to work for

Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsDiscount to employees is very good.. but then again the prices are rather high

ConsEmployees are told to deceit customers just to get sales. Bad management and very unorganized. Managers show facial expressions when customer don't buy anything and they get mad just if customers want to browse!! Age discrimination as well. The worst company I have ever worked for...

Advice to Senior Managementmake unannounced visits to stores to see what is really going on

God awful management

Part-Time Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsPay is decent.
    Employee discount is decent.
    Products are amazing.

ConsVery aggressive selling strategy.
    Managers tend to micro-manage and lack tact when they are supposed to be leaders.
    Promote people with no experience. Our store manager had no professional experience prior to being given the store. She had been a sales associate for 1 year. She was horribly unorganized, extremely unprofessional and stole product. One night after leaving a movie theatre and the store was closed, we saw her bringing shipment boxes from the store to her car. Other employees allege they would visit the store during the day and notice it would be closed for a couple hours. It was later realized that the manager would leave the store to go on interviews and non-work activities.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, but needs improvement...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Great products and discounts
    -Awesome coworkers
    -Ability to pick up hours from another store

Cons-High turnover rate (I have gone through 3 managers and 2 asst managers within a yr)
    -Too many responsibilities with little pay. You're doing things an asst manager could be doing (raises are a joke here)
    -Unrealistic sales goals. Even if you make target, they say it's not good enough.
    -You have to wear silly aprons. Makes you feel like the help.
    -Favoritism. If the manager doesn't like you, they will find a way to get rid of you, or transfer you to another store.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of massive hiring, you should promote within the company. It's not fair to the employees who work hard and have the experience.

Company does not realize the stress put on Management.

Pros-competitive hourly wages
    -high quality products and discount
    -company gratis
    -independence
    -unique atmosphere and provencal setting
    -high end clientele

Cons- long hours working alone
    - must wear dress shoes and stand for long periods of time
    -must work weekends and holidays
    -must have direct deposit or check does not come for days after being paid.
    -unrealistic sales goals
    -no room to advance, most stores have only 1 manager and 2-3 part time employees.
    - part time employees are expected to act like assistant managers w/o benefits.
    - some stores have 1 cash register which can cause congestion during high traffic periods.
    - very little training , yet high sales goals
    - very slow computers that freeze and need to be restarted when customers are waiting.
    -must stick to selling script and demo most expensive face cream on everyone.
    - small staff causes very little flexibility, someone is always on call. It's very hard to get a day off.
    - daily marketing updates make it hard to keep track. If you only work a few days each week you'll never catch up on memos and emails.
    - register codes never work properly
    -store managers never know what's going on
    -shipment never comes on time
    -monthly bonus is very little for all the work that goes into a sale.
    -managers expect associates to close on all sales, although half the customers have never heard of the brand before.
    -customers demand a lot of attention

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let your lower volume stores run short staffed. Promote good sales associates to full time associates or ASM so the managers can develop tenure staff. Don't set high expectations on recruiting the best staff when the company will only offer part time positions. Please don't leave staff on the floor alone to ring, demo and give mini facials. What would be extraordinary customer service at most retailers is not good enough for L'Occitane, unless its attached to a high ticket sale.

Great Company that Needs Work

Sales Associate/Keyholder (Current Employee)

Pros-The pay is competitive for the current retail market.

-The brand is easy to sell because L'Occitane makes quality products and have created long-standing brand loyalty like nothing I've seen before. Most clients I have come into contact with have either been shopping for years (many times they were first acquainted with the company in France) or have recently been gifted a L'Occitane product and were very pleased with the results. That speaks volumes.

-Another thing that makes L'Occitane easy to sell? The fact that they are fair trade and that they make it a priority to employ those with disabilities! I feel good about selling a quality product, and that the company I work for cares about the people who help produce their products.

-When I first on-boarded with L'Occitane, I had quite a bit of retail experience, but no skincare experience. My manager at the time had me attend a two day class session, which I found very beneficial. My travel expenses to the class were paid for, and each day of the class I received a very nice lunch. I learned a lot about skincare, a lot about the company, met other local sales associates, and learned some sales techniques that I hadn't tried yet. I didn't feel like my time was wasted, and I saw direct results in my subsequent sales.

-My manager at the time was a pleasure to work for. Very inspiring, non micro-managing. Sad she left for a different position.

-Our district manager is very nice and is a reasonable person. Her feedback is always constructive, and she's a people person. She's perfect for the job.

-Some have complained about the Gratis. I think the Gratis has been pretty generous in the 6 months I have worked for the company. I don't know if Gratis is different region-wise. For us, it's been solidly good.

Cons-Working by yourself. I got used to it after a while, but I find that when we get a wave of foot traffic, sales are lost even when I try and do my best to sell to multiple people at a time. I would love for our store to consistently keep high sales! I also feel safer in the mall having a co-worker with me.

-I've been working over 32 hours pretty consistently (L'Occitane's full time is 32 hours)...and yet at 26 years old, I'm still considered a part time employee with no benefits. ??

-I'm not sure about our current store manager. She's a great sales person, but as a manager it remains to be seen.

-In continuing with the working by yourself issue...it's unfair to market "free mini-facials" around to customers without appointment when you have just one employee on the floor. You could be very slow, but the minute someone else walks through the door you basically have to stop doing the facial and sell to other customers as well. Facials require your undivided attention for the service to be most effective for sales. I shy away from throwing around the idea of facials unless I know we're dead slow, or there are at least two of us on the floor.

-Basically they really should have two people on the clock most, if not all the time.

-The company has recently been pushing "lease-lining", that is, standing at the entrance and handing out samples during periods of low traffic. Sometimes this works, and gets people into the store, and sometimes it doesn't. The problem I see, is that you look like an annoying kiosk person. I get a lot of people turning down samples (they're free...who wouldn't want a FREE sample?!) but it's because they don't want to be harassed. That's not our aim, but it is what people have been conditioned to expect when they see that sort of thing. So sometimes I think lease lining has the opposite of the intended affect. I guess they figure you lose some, you win some.

-I keep seeing the software issue brought up on here. It's true, the computers are slow and not only that, the computers have quite a few issues. If there is one thing I'd tell corporate to get right on...it's software. Not only does it make processing sales slower at times, which is annoying for the customer, but if you're the only one in the store (which is quite often) then it's inevitable that sales will be lost. As a L'Occitane employee, you are trained to multi-task and sell to multiple people at a time. BUT, there's only so much you can do when there is a computer issue. It takes your undivided attention to process a sale in a timely manner so that you have a customer who isn't frustrated.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lot of talent within your stores, and your keyholders have already proved themselves with greater responsibility than your average sales person. Continue to recognize talent, and make it a priority to try and promote from within.

Positive work environment

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsFriendly team environment
    Clear communication with store management
    Great discount

ConsCons are related to working in retail in general, not specific to L'Occitane - long hours standing up, work on holidays, etc.

l'occitane is a great company to work for

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

Prosthe products, true stories and positivity

Conshaving your skills over looked,

Advice to Senior Managementif some one is already good at sales back off and let them sale, dont stand over them like a hawk, it will ruin their confidence, the stores conversion, atv, and upt.

Good environment, awesome products, good pay

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsGreat products, great pay for a student, nice environment.

ConsManagement could be a pain at times but that is with any retail store. Unhappy costumers time to time. Do expect you to be perfect at all times.

Good If you're seasoned & crazy aggressive

Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee)

Pros- Great product

- Involved in various charitable pursuits (though somewhat vague as to how much)

- Environmentally conscious

- Cool sales associates

- Relatively manageable dress code

- Tons of samples

- Great employee discount

Cons- Unrealistic sales goals

- Demoralizing, clueless management (the product and their titles)

- Trained to twist the arm of the customer to buy and creating low return customer rate

- On-call, especially if they're trying to get rid of you and give you no shifts

- Having to sell in a robotic, formulaic way that values perkiness over knowledge or overall rapport with customers

- Told to lie to customers about how natural everything is (there are still parabens and other manufactured preservatives in various products) as well as "not testing on animals" (China requires every beauty product to be tested on animals, having supplies shipped to a third party is still participating in animal testing whether company owned or not.)

- Group sales, but places significant value in individual sales goals that can't be tracked due to sales floor zoning