L'Occitane Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014
2.4

L'Occitane Directeur Exécutif, Président du Conseil d'Administration et Président Directeur Général Reinold Geiger
Reinold Geiger

Pros
  • Great products, most stores are quite beautiful (in 17 reviews)

• Generous employee discount enabled us to purchase products for personal use (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Snooty Upper Management (especially some of the women there sheesh) (in 16 reviews)

• Lack of work life balance - taking personal or sick time is frowned upon (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Such an amazing work environment.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate  in  Mission Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Mission Viejo, CA

I worked at L'Occitane as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Friendly staff
    interactions with guests
    easy products to get to learn and love

Cons

long work hours
    work on holidays
    training was a smooth transition

Inconsistent and unsettling.

Current Employee - Boutique Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Boutique Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great products with great ingredients that work. Company cares about the environment and the impact it has on it.

Cons

So disorganized! They blame everyone for their mistakes. No matter how hard you work, you will not get promoted unless you have a friend in senior management. They take no accountability for anything but demands accountability from boutique employee's. If you give a realistic view of the business and it's shortcomings you are then "excuse driven". This company may care about the environment but cares nothing about it's employee's. Reviews are very negative. Feedback from senior management is very negative. I imagine this was once a great company to work for. Not so much these days.

This company's leadership should revisit the core values and apply them. Respect and integrity do not exist in L'Occitane.

Out of touch company - corporate vs retail

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at L'Occitane part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good products. Salary was OK.

Cons

I hate to be negative (karma and all) but....

The corporate seemed to be WAY OUT OF TOUCH with the stores. Would never send enough product (sometimes not at all) for campaigns. Always too many corrections (based on previous retail) and discount codes never worked for campaigns.

Payroll gets dropped every work period so you have to make constant adjustments. Always looking to save money so what do they do? Spend astronomical amounts of money on events but none on the employees.

Review system is set so no one can ever get outstanding. We were even told that no one should ever get high marks (even if they deserved them.)

Bonus structure is fairly unobtainable unless you work in a high traffic area. Smaller stores will never get it.

Also, one word "Divine" and I don't mean that in a complimentary way. Too much emphasis was placed on selling this product when there were other products that were totally ignored (Angelica). Every time a customer came in we had to demo the Divine line - even if it wasn't suitable for the client. For example:

Sales "Bonjour welcome to L'Occitane. So what brings you in today?"
    Client "A bar of soap"
    Sales "Great! But let me show you this $107.00 bottle of face cream (slight ad-lib here)"
    Client "All I want is soap"
    Sales "No but you MUST try the divine - its fabulous!!"
    Client "No. I just want soap"
    Sales "This demo will only take just a second!"
    Client "No."

I hated harassing the clients like this. And again, other skin care was totally ignored even though it was a better match and by the time you are throwing divine down their throat - they didn't want to even look at anything else.

Also, too many "one time products". And the next time a client came in we would have to tell them, sorry - that was an LTD.

Work with the stores. Have your stuff ready. Stop making corrections and get it right the first time.

Think about the client and less about the money you can milk out of them on expensive products they don't need.

Recognize employees as opposed to ignoring them.

Get a better POS system. Client wait time sometimes caused them to leave the store.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, poor management

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Monthly gratis is great you always get to try the newest things before they come out. Hours are great they worked around my schedule.

Cons

Poor management. When people need let go upper management is lazy and doesn't document things the way the should. They don't allow anytime for quarterly staff meetings.

Give more authority to your store managers.

Awful approach to building clients and running a business

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at L'Occitane part-time for more than a year

Pros

products and history of the company truly inspiring and the love of southern france

Cons

absolutely no work life balance. your life is "on call" , never know your schedule because meetings etc keep getting scheduled and cancelled and rescheduled,there are more floor changes and moves than customers( i've had customers not realize we did a whole campaign because they didn't stop in for a month and missed the whole thing) there is no staff to even cover you so forget about being sick, too many operations for a selling job, The managers spend all day moving product around , doing paperwork, transfers

in terms of people. To make sales you need people. Never worked for a company that would have as few as 1 to 2 people on the sales floor or someone opening or closing a shop alone. Talk about a safety risk! a no no with anywhere , any companies. This is not a ma and pa company! There are 200 stores but we can't afford two open or 2 close a boutique? I guess l'occitane is waiting for someone to really get hurt. unacceptable. unsafe.
    Don't know about career opportunities. Upper management doesn't seek to grow people. They just say "what u wanna do" and move on. Doesn't do much. I think it comes down to whom they THINK is promotable and not based on skill. Unfortunately most of the skilled are now gone.

A Pig Wearing a Lipstick is still a Pig

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at L'Occitane for more than a year

Pros

The products are about the only thing admirable about this company. They are effective and worth the price. They sell themselves.

Cons

L'Occitane is entirely controlled by its Marketing Department which deigns to open new stores rather than advertise via proven mass marketing techniques leaving store staff member to held accountable for anything from unsuccessful campaigns to extreme weather events.
    Upper management is petty, disconnected, elitist and highly retaliatory. As managers we are instructed to torture rather than fire associates and lower their annual reviews scores so annual increases impossible all to save a buck. It has been said that under current leadership we have never been more successful. Yet are annual Sales conference is cancelled due to budget concerns. Successful? right...
    In addition to hour tampering and action plans the average employee has to know and is held responsible for Everything... everything. Oh And we get transferred every 6 months without fail just she it's time to cash in on all the hounding I mean clientelling. Oh by the way that's not even a word.

Advice is silly give at this point. But here are some ideas for our morning coffees.. Drum roll please is dumb. Champaign and cookies are illegal. And energy is not free, especially toxic energy you spew at the stores. Work life balance doesn't exist.

not fun aymore

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

love the employess, and the gratis

Cons

hate upper management, hate the way we get treated

Inconsistent

Current Employee - PTSA
    Current Employee - PTSA

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

pleasant work environment, decent pay, great discount, you don't have to lie about what you're selling

Cons

inconsistent merchandising, corporate body seems determined to prevent stores from getting bonuses, compounding top-down micromanagement at times, false enthusiasm at the corporate level

communication between departments in corporate - it's obvious that it doesn't happen

Lots of locations, my favorite retail experience so far

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time for less than a year

Pros

Monthly gratis
    Nice managers and co-workers
    Great products with a good philosophy

Cons

Communication with upper management to stores
    Frequent store movements/changes in location for employees and no communication about moves until a few days/weeks before move

Great corporate members but boring job

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time for less than a year

Pros

The higher-ups treat you well. Generous with the employee discount and gratis. Nice job to have on the side or for you to get through school.

Cons

Company claims to be sustainable but actually quite wasteful. The cost of the product is ridiculous considering the cost to actually make the product. The job can be slow and boring as hell or fast paced depending on the location of the store. The company pays its sales associates competitively. However, there isn't much in terms of growth, learning, or challenges. Need to meet a sales goal every single day. Meeting it is honestly sometimes based on luck.

Worked for L'Occitane? Contribute to the Community!