L'Occitane Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
Updated October 29, 2014
2.4

L'Occitane Directeur Exécutif, Président du Conseil d'Administration et Président Directeur Général Reinold Geiger
Reinold Geiger

Pros
  • Great products with great ingredients that work (in 20 reviews)

• Generous employee discount enabled us to purchase products for personal use (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management knows about these conditions, or they at least should get a clue (in 21 reviews)

• Lack of work life balance - taking personal or sick time is frowned upon (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Upper management have no clue how the daily business works.. Very disconnected from reality

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lovely customers. Hardworking and wonderful associates in store. Good employee discount. Great products. Love the true stories and the roots of the company.

Cons

Sales Associates do 90% of the work but get little or no recognition. After more than 3 years pay has only increases 95 cents even though sales goals are met and exceeded. DM hires " friends" from outside company rather than promote hardworking associates from within. DM has no idea how to answer common questions or how to ring up a customer. No recycling of product testers. They are thrown in trash.

All upper management should have to actually work in boutiques a certain amount of time each month to see and understand how them daily business actually runs and how to make real improvements rather then sit behind their computer threatening associates/store managers with unrealistic goals and negative emails.

Love it

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

Great pay great products great customers

Cons

Smelling all that stuff makes my head hurt

Nothing

Great for individuals with an entreprenurial spirit and willing make their personal success their own responsibility. (As should be)

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time

Pros

-Amazing co-workers
    -Monthly gratis is very generous (better than many other cosmetic brands)
    -Programs available for growth
    -DM's are more active within the stores than other companies I have worked for (including visits with agendas for improvement, and helpful advice for merchandising)
    -Correspondence between stores in the district is like no other company I have worked for. Lots of encouragement.)

Cons

-Daily reports/memos are overwhelming at times, flooding inbox (and I'm a full-timer. Not sure how my manager feels)
    -Be more conciencious around holidays with tasks to be done so we can leave earlier and enjoy time with family and friends

Every company has areas of opportunity. Keep doing what you're doing. Those employees who want more pay for mediocre work always have the option to go elsewhere.

Lots of promises that were never fulfilled

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

-decent pay
    -gratis at the start of every campaign
    -awesome co-workers

Cons

-micro-managing from upper management
    -managers will promise you a lot of things, but can't deliver
    -no room for advancement (I was promised a full-time position for almost a year and was offered it 4 days after I gave my two-weeks notice)
    -company likes to tout itself as natural and eco-friendly, but pack a whole lot of chemicals in the products and are extremely wasteful. No recycling, everything has excess packaging (do you really need to wrap the box of your moisturizer in plastic?)
    -associates are pushed to sell Divine line of skincare (2 per day) even if it doesn't meet the customer's budget or skincare needs
    -associates are expected to do same amount of paperwork as manager, without the hours or the pay
    -computers and software are a joke. IT Department is extremely unhelpful

Re-evaluate your priorities. Update the look and feel of the stores and company. If you want to be relevant, you have to stop being stuck in the 70s and 80s. You're making yourselves obsolete!

Great brand, horrible place to work.

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The often have events & products that support charitable organizations. Maternity leave is loner than what most companies offer. And of course, great products. With every launch they would provide all employees in the corporate office with something from the new launch.

Cons

Any problem you have will fall on deaf ears. They use unpaid interns to do the work of someone who should have real experience (and be paid!). It's was a very negative work environment when I was there. People were crying at work all the time. No work life balance at all. Disorganized team with complete disregard for each other's time.

Don't compare your employee's job to being raped in their review.

It's so funny to read these.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

The only pro after working for this pathetic brand is products, SOME of the people and knowing that once you've worked here it can only go up.

Cons

They are all the same. Probably haven't changed since I left. Europeans are generally cheap. I'm glad to be employed by a company that makes money and has deep pockets. Some Employees have this conception that you have to suffer needlessly to be in high end. What they fail to realize is this brand is not even that. Not by a long shot.

Reinhold Sell your company and fire those British guys. Everyone hates them.

Words Can't Describe

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Gratis, Employees who actually do care (regardless of what upper management thinks), a great company story

Cons

It is a MESS. Upper management controls everything BUT no one oversees them. They can sweep what needs sweeping out or under the rug. you can't trust anyone.the turnover is beyond insanity. It is all based on how they feel about someone. It doesn't matter how much integrity or care you have for your job. Don't expect a raise. First company I ever worked that you don't get ANY increase annually. Wait are we still in America , the land of opportunity? Opportunity here means, a new promotion--a new title---more work----no reward except the applause. We are working for a living....

People is what makes a business happen. You can have a great story, beautiful stores and wonderful products but if you don't have people they all collect dust, the customers don't come back, and the business fails. People make money, people tell stories, people make the connections special. So treat your employees with kindness and I mean all your employees (not your favorites) Set goals that are achievable. Give them a yearly review that entails a raise. This will make them loyal and even more committed. Is cutting payroll and giving minimal increases worth the risk? I didn't think so because now the business hurts. You could have saved there but long term you saved nothing because "you" made no investments in your future.

If you like work for a company with favoritism this is for you!

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

All pros have been said, mainly co workers and product quality

Cons

If you would like to work for a company where the district manager send an email listing the 5 smartest/best employees around (a genius list) this is for you. Just make sure you work for less than you are worth, sell your life for this company and pretend to not feel working here is hellish to make the list.

Stop favoritism this isn't grade school

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get paid. Small gratis once a month.

Cons

Please read above where I had applied that information within the title description. Thank you. Thank you very much, etc, etc, etc.

Yep.

Such an amazing work environment.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Mission Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Mission Viejo, CA

I worked at L'Occitane as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly staff
    interactions with guests
    easy products to get to learn and love

Cons

long work hours
    work on holidays
    training was a smooth transition

L'Occitane Photos

L'Occitane (Photo thanks to Flickr user Simon A, Some Rights Reserved)
L'Occitane (Photo thanks to Flickr user Beat Küng, Some Rights Reserved)
L'Occitane En Provence (Photo thanks to Flickr user Barney Bishop, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo