L'Occitane Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
169 reviews filtered by
2.5
L'Occitane Directeur Exécutif, Président du Conseil d'Administration et Président Directeur Général Reinold Geiger
Reinold Geiger

Pros
  • Great products with great ingredients that work (in 21 reviews)

• Generous employee discount enabled us to purchase products for personal use (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Snooty Upper Management (especially some of the women there sheesh) (in 20 reviews)

• Lack of work life balance - taking personal or sick time is frowned upon (in 8 reviews)

1. pretty good considering it's retail....

I worked at L'Occitane

Pros

Good employee discount, Small environment, nice people and good co workers

Cons

Sometimes felt "out of place" or talked about

Sales associate for about 2.5 years.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder

I worked at L'Occitane

Pros

Great product, that's about it. Trainings in SF were very effective. Enjoyed giving facials and hand massages to customers, so they could feel a little pampered.

Cons

I will always look back at my experience with this company as the worst I've ever had. Very unprofessional manager, who got away with everything by sucking up to the area or district manager. If you weren't her pet, then it sucked to be you. Not sure if she's still with the company, but I'm still in awe of how she was able to manage a store, when she was back stabbing and manipulating to her sales associates, with high turn over. No interaction with the stores from corporate. No possibility of promotion, though you were always told maybe. Practically ran one of the stores, as a sales associate, along with training a new manager from a near by store. Used and not appreciated for hard work repeatedly. You were to be alone in the store for hours, with no breaks as well.

Hiring the right management. Actually promoting employees who are dedicated and knowledgeable about the company and product. Not leaving associates alone for hours. Corporate interacting with stores, so they involved with the successes of the company and reaching goals at the store level.

It's heyday is well passed!

I worked at L'Occitane full-time

Pros

Good discount and sometimes free products. Nice people in stores with a lot of passion. Good quality products. Good stories.

Cons

Inconsistent and non-existent career path opportunities. Total lack of interest in retaining top talent. Unreachable goals which lead to lack of bonus. Low salaries. Complete disconnect at the top.

Corporate has a complete disconnect with the stores

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay, for the most part, is pretty good; gratis is great; employee discount is great; core values of the brand is awesome and I support what the company does in terms of conservation and charities.

Cons

Corporate is so completely disconnected in terms of what they want for the company. They want to keep the stores feeling like a boutique and yet want to implement big brand corporate ideologies that don't fit.

I highly doubt that you'll see ANY of these things happening at a Louis Vuitton or one of their competitor beauty lines:
     - Having only one person on the sales floor for more than three hours at a time.
     - Due to you being the only associate on the floor, more often than not you can't take your 10 minute break which is ILLEGAL in the state of California. Mind you the manager has limited hours to work with and a district manager is APPROVING these schedules so ultimately it's a fault on the DM for not remedying these situations.
     - Processing and doing shipment on the floor throughout the day because you don't have enough coverage to run the sales floor AND complete shipment.

& the list could go on, but it would take an entirely separate essay to catalogue the plethora of illegal and unprofessional things that go on in the work place.
    Sales Associates are basically Key Holders but are withheld the title of such. On top of that most sales associates are given managerial tasks due to poor staffing and a belief that the bigger stores wouldn't benefit from having an assistant which just doesn't make sense to me.
    There is absolutely NO SUPPORT of a work-life balance for neither the manager's or the associates.
    Some of the upper management in corporate are...kind of sexist? The brand is about natural beauty but you'll be reprimanded if you don't have a full face of makeup and apparently straight hair is the only style that's not considered "messy." I've also heard about their open dissatisfaction when women don't wear dresses when being visited. There's absolutely nothing in the regulations that state it is mandatory for the individual to wear makeup or dresses at all times. Of course you want to look professional but there's a huge difference between professional and "women need to wear this or that'll go on your review."

I really don't get what happened. This company used to pride itself in being so interconnected with their stores that whenever I encountered someone who worked for L'Occitane, I would hear nothing but good things. But now that I work for the company I only feel the complete opposite, and one of the only reasons why I stay is out of respect for my manager and co-workers.

I enjoy challenge and I enjoy being given the opportunity to grow. The former is definitely present but with no possibility for the latter. There is absolutely no support from upper management, and most of the times when your'e trying to reach out for help it's considered being "excuse driven." It really makes me wonder what Olivier Baussan would think if he were to travel to the U.S. and actually sit down with the associates to hear their stories.

There's a storm a brewin' at the level that matters most: the public representatives of your brand ARE NOT happy, and you need to do something productive about it.

Enter at Your Own Risk

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in New York, NY

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

Gratis and excellent products. Training is ok. It used to be better when you had an actual class. I wonder if it became too expensive because now it's just watch a video and written information. It's still ok though because trainers seem to be available for questions.

Cons

Challenges employees face: zero support from upper management, lip service only, they require employees to give give give and all you get back is gratis when you'd rather have ACTION. Managers are often required to manage 2 stores but only some get more pay for it. If upper management doesn't like the manager then the whole staff pays for it. They hire inexperienced managers and assistant managers and expect them to work out but part-time staff end up managing and coaching these "managers". District Managers only seem to focus on large and flagship stores then wonder why things fall apart. They also expect you to work in subpar conditions like lack of heat in winter. Every winter they act like this is something new. Give Us a Break or at least look into the situation. Ask about the turn over rate if your applying for a job. If management were as good as the products this could be A Great Pace to Work but they just don't seem to realize the people selling the product are to be valued. I'm beginning to wonder if this really stems from Ronald Geiger, the owner. This company is all talk no action. Employees working alone in stores from morning until closing. Not Safe and not healthy. Managers send the schedules to district managers and they just let it happen. If you're a product at L'occitane you're golden - if you're an employee - tough luck. It's taken years to write this - finally lost hope. Very sad.

Dear Management,

Both Davids - Thank you very much for the gratis. Amazing and very nice. But I'd give that up for more of your involvement at the store level. Please read the above feedback. Heat doesn't seem like too much ask for. Please don't have managers manage more than one store. There is a reason you probably haven't made these people district managers. IF you must do it then perhaps choose a manager from a store close by like Third/Madison/86 or Columbus/Broadway/Time Warner or Bleecker/Soho/Meatpacking and for the sake of each stores staff consider the time of year this is being done. L'Occitane can be great but we're losing something. When employees are under valued and moral is low, how much selling will happen? Energy may be free, the mood ladder may be a good reminder, cartoon cheerleader emails may be humorous but talk is cheap. I tried to address these things in a less public manner and directly but it falls on deaf ears. Want to sell more? Help Us Help You.

7. Satisfactory.

I worked at L'Occitane

Pros

Good work environment; nice coworkers.

Cons

Getting my check was a little slow.

Complicated Relationship

Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good bonus structure for all employees. Amazing product with results.

Cons

Poor work life balance. Operations in corporate are disorganized and lead to extra work for stores with already short deadlines. Poor learning and development department. Responsibilities fall on Store Manager to carry many hats including, product knowledge, floor moves, coaching, scheduling, transfers and a multitude of other tasks all while running on a small staff with little hours. Store Managers are on the sales floor about 75% of the time.

Give stores more hours and cut from merchandising/marketing department by stopping daily print outs of memos and unnecessary updates with signage during a campaign. Prioritize events and floor moves to ensure store can support more staff on these days. Give staff more time and hours to plan inventory and transfers.

Generally a good place to work, but if you intend to move up in company, expect s long wait and a lot of excuses.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

Monthly gratis of new products, flexible hours, great products, good environment.

Cons

Only 4 paid holidays (if you are Christian, be prepared to work major holidays), antiquated computer system, inconsistencies between districts, lack of reliable communication, not all stores allowed to ship, and unless you want to start at level 1 and wait it out to see if you can rise to management position, you'd better enter company as a manager first. Otherwise you'll hear a lot of promises, only to watch them hire from the outside every time there is an opening.

Follow up on district managers to check on reliability and consistency. RMs need to know first hand who works the stores and gets the job done despite their DM.

Too much control

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Columbus, OH

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Product is special, truly the best way to enjoy the south of France without the flight to Paris and driving to Provence.

Cons

It's very true all of the observations offered here. Training crammed on you while selling at the same time.

Employees should be very low key because shopping for luxury items must be an enjoyable experience however the management has so many instructions and as they call them "always" stipulations for the staff that they feel pressured into an unnatural dialogue.

No work life balance whatsoever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

nice stores
    nice products
    nice coworkers
    you always have hope

Cons

1. operational hell - you are exhausted from too many operations.inventories, cycle counts, transfers, adjustments, merchandising, running around for event supplies, plus your basics...and this isnt quarterly or twice a year! it is weekly.monthly! you will get easily burned out . most companies have full staff and don't even do half those operations

2.no work life balance- on top of the exhaustion of operations and trying to make sales on top of that you are called on your day off, questioned about being sick for a day, emailed at home, as if you are not even off! I work for loccitane I don't own it !

3..wasteful. the MOST wasteful retailer I have seen in my life. NOT earth friendly at all. from the amount of packaging, tissue, little tags , and cutouts, bags for every campaign, boxes, and unused things that get thrown out. etc. to the windows that change every month. the windows have so many components completely thrown out every three weeks. metal pieces,giant hard framed posters etc. wow. walk past a loccitane after a window change. the sidewalk looks like a jungle. we must have a landfill of our own in every state. SO MUCH GARBAGE. yet we claim being natural?????
    go visit a green company and see what minimal is needed.

the company overall needs to be streamlined. too much operational focus. TOO many chiefs. you have everyone giving advice and directives and micromanaging managers UNTIL the store underperforms and THEN it is the managers fault .
    Nice set up
    My question to upper management is if you were to look at your employees in your district right now ask yourself:
    do i know them ?
    do i know why they work for me?
    what are their interests?
    how can I get them there?

NONE OF THAT IS HAPPENING.. hence you simply have only turnover . hence why 34% according to glassdoor would recommend this company to someone else. 34%? SCARY and thats for all positions

L'Occitane Photos

L'Occitane (Photo thanks to Flickr user Simon A, Some Rights Reserved)
L'Occitane (Photo thanks to Flickr user Beat Küng, Some Rights Reserved)
L'Occitane En Provence (Photo thanks to Flickr user Barney Bishop, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo