L'Occitane Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
Updated October 18, 2014
2.4

L'Occitane Directeur Exécutif, Président du Conseil d'Administration et Président Directeur Général Reinold Geiger
Reinold Geiger

Pros
  • Great products with great ingredients that work (in 19 reviews)

• Generous employee discount enabled us to purchase products for personal use (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management knows about these conditions, or they at least should get a clue (in 21 reviews)

• Lack of work life balance - taking personal or sick time is frowned upon (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Upper management have no clue how the daily business works.. Very disconnected from reality

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lovely customers. Hardworking and wonderful associates in store. Good employee discount. Great products. Love the true stories and the roots of the company.

Cons

Sales Associates do 90% of the work but get little or no recognition. After more than 3 years pay has only increases 95 cents even though sales goals are met and exceeded. DM hires " friends" from outside company rather than promote hardworking associates from within. DM has no idea how to answer common questions or how to ring up a customer. No recycling of product testers. They are thrown in trash.

All upper management should have to actually work in boutiques a certain amount of time each month to see and understand how them daily business actually runs and how to make real improvements rather then sit behind their computer threatening associates/store managers with unrealistic goals and negative emails.

Lots of promises that were never fulfilled

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

-decent pay
    -gratis at the start of every campaign
    -awesome co-workers

Cons

-micro-managing from upper management
    -managers will promise you a lot of things, but can't deliver
    -no room for advancement (I was promised a full-time position for almost a year and was offered it 4 days after I gave my two-weeks notice)
    -company likes to tout itself as natural and eco-friendly, but pack a whole lot of chemicals in the products and are extremely wasteful. No recycling, everything has excess packaging (do you really need to wrap the box of your moisturizer in plastic?)
    -associates are pushed to sell Divine line of skincare (2 per day) even if it doesn't meet the customer's budget or skincare needs
    -associates are expected to do same amount of paperwork as manager, without the hours or the pay
    -computers and software are a joke. IT Department is extremely unhelpful

Re-evaluate your priorities. Update the look and feel of the stores and company. If you want to be relevant, you have to stop being stuck in the 70s and 80s. You're making yourselves obsolete!

Such an amazing work environment.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Mission Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Mission Viejo, CA

I worked at L'Occitane as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly staff
    interactions with guests
    easy products to get to learn and love

Cons

long work hours
    work on holidays
    training was a smooth transition

Inconsistent and unsettling.

Current Employee - Boutique Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Boutique Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great products with great ingredients that work. Company cares about the environment and the impact it has on it.

Cons

So disorganized! They blame everyone for their mistakes. No matter how hard you work, you will not get promoted unless you have a friend in senior management. They take no accountability for anything but demands accountability from boutique employee's. If you give a realistic view of the business and it's shortcomings you are then "excuse driven". This company may care about the environment but cares nothing about it's employee's. Reviews are very negative. Feedback from senior management is very negative. I imagine this was once a great company to work for. Not so much these days.

This company's leadership should revisit the core values and apply them. Respect and integrity do not exist in L'Occitane.

Terrible dead end job

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

Co workers store level
    Gratis (reasonable though not quite as much as competitor companies and most damages are thrown out)
    Product quality

Cons

-many people are told they will be promoted and given false hope only to find out that will never happen
    -many part time workers are given full time hours without Benefits or promotion
    -hours are sometimes tampered with upon suggestion of the district manager
    -people forced to work alone in unsafe areas
    -lack of appropriate heat or air conditioning that is fixed after weeks of suffering
    -forced to go on the streets in outfits to promote the brand
    -forced to work in cold and leave doors open during winter which makes employees sick
    -not able to take days off when you then get sick
    -write ups for tiny things if you aren't favored (for example leaning up against a wall during an 8 hour day on your feet)
    -it just sucks don't do it

Be better people

Grateful to have left this madness

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good camaraderie with coworkers. They are the 'sisters-(and some brothers)-in-suffering'.
    Decent products.
    Aside from the above 2, cannot think of much else.

Cons

The cons that have already been posted are so repetitive, so pathetic that it has been an entertaining read. Definitely confirms one thing: since having left this company long while back, that nothing has changed for the better. The current employees ought to band together and form an outside counseling group to console one other while looking for better opportunities. So many have quit, the teams from 6 months ago are now unrecognizable, and that includes corporate.

With the holidays approaching, Management better do more than cheap words wrapped in tawdry emails to 'boost' their teams. Put yourself into their shoes and really see what it's like to toil just to keep doors and business going. Quit with the clown costumes, the inane, robotic scripts and phony attitudes - all you've managed to do is breed a political cesspool where sister pits against sister.

As for any potential Seasonals who are even thinking of applying.....better read through before signing your life away.

Out of touch company - corporate vs retail

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good products. Salary was OK.

Cons

I hate to be negative (karma and all) but....

The corporate seemed to be WAY OUT OF TOUCH with the stores. Would never send enough product (sometimes not at all) for campaigns. Always too many corrections (based on previous retail) and discount codes never worked for campaigns.

Payroll gets dropped every work period so you have to make constant adjustments. Always looking to save money so what do they do? Spend astronomical amounts of money on events but none on the employees.

Review system is set so no one can ever get outstanding. We were even told that no one should ever get high marks (even if they deserved them.)

Bonus structure is fairly unobtainable unless you work in a high traffic area. Smaller stores will never get it.

Also, one word "Divine" and I don't mean that in a complimentary way. Too much emphasis was placed on selling this product when there were other products that were totally ignored (Angelica). Every time a customer came in we had to demo the Divine line - even if it wasn't suitable for the client. For example:

Sales "Bonjour welcome to L'Occitane. So what brings you in today?"
    Client "A bar of soap"
    Sales "Great! But let me show you this $107.00 bottle of face cream (slight ad-lib here)"
    Client "All I want is soap"
    Sales "No but you MUST try the divine - its fabulous!!"
    Client "No. I just want soap"
    Sales "This demo will only take just a second!"
    Client "No."

I hated harassing the clients like this. And again, other skin care was totally ignored even though it was a better match and by the time you are throwing divine down their throat - they didn't want to even look at anything else.

Also, too many "one time products". And the next time a client came in we would have to tell them, sorry - that was an LTD.

Work with the stores. Have your stuff ready. Stop making corrections and get it right the first time.

Think about the client and less about the money you can milk out of them on expensive products they don't need.

Recognize employees as opposed to ignoring them.

Get a better POS system. Client wait time sometimes caused them to leave the store.

Great company, poor management

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Monthly gratis is great you always get to try the newest things before they come out. Hours are great they worked around my schedule.

Cons

Poor management. When people need let go upper management is lazy and doesn't document things the way the should. They don't allow anytime for quarterly staff meetings.

Give more authority to your store managers.

Awful approach to building clients and running a business

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (more than an year)

Pros

products and history of the company truly inspiring and the love of southern france

Cons

absolutely no work life balance. your life is "on call" , never know your schedule because meetings etc keep getting scheduled and cancelled and rescheduled,there are more floor changes and moves than customers( i've had customers not realize we did a whole campaign because they didn't stop in for a month and missed the whole thing) there is no staff to even cover you so forget about being sick, too many operations for a selling job, The managers spend all day moving product around , doing paperwork, transfers

in terms of people. To make sales you need people. Never worked for a company that would have as few as 1 to 2 people on the sales floor or someone opening or closing a shop alone. Talk about a safety risk! a no no with anywhere , any companies. This is not a ma and pa company! There are 200 stores but we can't afford two open or 2 close a boutique? I guess l'occitane is waiting for someone to really get hurt. unacceptable. unsafe.
    Don't know about career opportunities. Upper management doesn't seek to grow people. They just say "what u wanna do" and move on. Doesn't do much. I think it comes down to whom they THINK is promotable and not based on skill. Unfortunately most of the skilled are now gone.

A Pig Wearing a Lipstick is still a Pig

Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at L'Occitane (more than an year)

Pros

The products are about the only thing admirable about this company. They are effective and worth the price. They sell themselves.

Cons

L'Occitane is entirely controlled by its Marketing Department which deigns to open new stores rather than advertise via proven mass marketing techniques leaving store staff member to held accountable for anything from unsuccessful campaigns to extreme weather events.
    Upper management is petty, disconnected, elitist and highly retaliatory. As managers we are instructed to torture rather than fire associates and lower their annual reviews scores so annual increases impossible all to save a buck. It has been said that under current leadership we have never been more successful. Yet are annual Sales conference is cancelled due to budget concerns. Successful? right...
    In addition to hour tampering and action plans the average employee has to know and is held responsible for Everything... everything. Oh And we get transferred every 6 months without fail just she it's time to cash in on all the hounding I mean clientelling. Oh by the way that's not even a word.

Advice is silly give at this point. But here are some ideas for our morning coffees.. Drum roll please is dumb. Champaign and cookies are illegal. And energy is not free, especially toxic energy you spew at the stores. Work life balance doesn't exist.

L'Occitane Photos

L'Occitane (Photo thanks to Flickr user Simon A, Some Rights Reserved)
L'Occitane (Photo thanks to Flickr user Beat Küng, Some Rights Reserved)
L'Occitane En Provence (Photo thanks to Flickr user Barney Bishop, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo