L'Occitane

L'Occitane Reviews

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
2.5

L'Occitane Directeur Exécutif, Président du Conseil d'Administration et Président Directeur Général Reinold Geiger
Reinold Geiger

Pros
  • Great products with great ingredients that work (in 21 reviews)

• Generous employee discount enabled us to purchase products for personal use (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Snooty Upper Management (especially some of the women there sheesh) (in 20 reviews)

• Lack of work life balance - taking personal or sick time is frowned upon (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Generally satisfied.

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

The pay at L'occitane is relatively high compared to other stores. Gratis and employee discount is also pretty generous. Small pretty boutiques makes it more relaxing.

Cons

Pressure on sales is too much. Lots of responsibilities and confusing marketing. Also not enough staffing.

Mediocre

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent starting hourly rate. I would say gratis but every piece I've received is a scent that doesn't wear well on me so I end up gifting it anyway.

Cons

Long days even as a part-timer. When they hired me they presented the company in a completely different light than what it really is. They said they don't cold call and clientele but that was a lie. They push you to make unattainable goals and when you actually do exceed expectations you don't hear a positive word about it. Management is moody and NEVER works weekends. I've worked as a skin lead for almost ten years and make as much money as the other associates who know nothing about skin care and haven't even worked in retail before. The business has so much potential but it's like they have no idea what they're doing. This job would be ideal for someone that's only looking for a very part time position.

Stop setting goals so high and pushing the wrong skin care on people. Let the product sell itself. Work weekends and nights!

A trip to Provence in your hometown

Former Employee - Full-Time Sales Associate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Full-Time Sales Associate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was an honor working for this company. Beautiful environment, Product Education like opening a good book. Entrancing in the spell that is cast.

Cons

Better communication from between company and associates other than e-mail that is to be monitored thru out the day.
    Constant barrage of "events" that are no longer special, or create excitement. Consumers are jaded by this.

The staff is human, as are the consumers and when you have someone who really loves the product and work nurture this and build from it.
    Unsettling manner in which customer challenges are handled.
    Have your teams back or they will not have yours.
    The customer is not always right. They are working out a frustration out on an individual who is powerless to defend themselves.
    In the pursuit for money in business one must draw the line as to where it is too much and becomes humiliation for the individual at any cost, so long as they are buying something.
    Tighten up on the disgusting returns. People should be ashamed but they never are. It is STEALING and the attitude is that "this is a big company can absorb it". That may be true but multiply that a thousand times and then you are not making money.

I thank you for the Miraculous Product Olivier. You brought LIVING SOUL to those of us who understand.

Love it!

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time

Pros

Great pay, part time. Allows me to attend college and do other things outside of work.

Cons

None. Cons are subjective. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Love it

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

Great pay great products great customers

Cons

Smelling all that stuff makes my head hurt

Nothing

Great for individuals with an entreprenurial spirit and willing make their personal success their own responsibility. (As should be)

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time

Pros

-Amazing co-workers
    -Monthly gratis is very generous (better than many other cosmetic brands)
    -Programs available for growth
    -DM's are more active within the stores than other companies I have worked for (including visits with agendas for improvement, and helpful advice for merchandising)
    -Correspondence between stores in the district is like no other company I have worked for. Lots of encouragement.)

Cons

-Daily reports/memos are overwhelming at times, flooding inbox (and I'm a full-timer. Not sure how my manager feels)
    -Be more conciencious around holidays with tasks to be done so we can leave earlier and enjoy time with family and friends

Every company has areas of opportunity. Keep doing what you're doing. Those employees who want more pay for mediocre work always have the option to go elsewhere.

Upper management have no clue how the daily business works.. Very disconnected from reality

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lovely customers. Hardworking and wonderful associates in store. Good employee discount. Great products. Love the true stories and the roots of the company.

Cons

Sales Associates do 90% of the work but get little or no recognition. After more than 3 years pay has only increases 95 cents even though sales goals are met and exceeded. DM hires " friends" from outside company rather than promote hardworking associates from within. DM has no idea how to answer common questions or how to ring up a customer. No recycling of product testers. They are thrown in trash.

All upper management should have to actually work in boutiques a certain amount of time each month to see and understand how them daily business actually runs and how to make real improvements rather then sit behind their computer threatening associates/store managers with unrealistic goals and negative emails.

Its a good job to start off with

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Boutique like environment is very nice.

Cons

Leadership is Overbearing and Annoying.

Lots of promises that were never fulfilled

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

-decent pay
    -gratis at the start of every campaign
    -awesome co-workers

Cons

-micro-managing from upper management
    -managers will promise you a lot of things, but can't deliver
    -no room for advancement (I was promised a full-time position for almost a year and was offered it 4 days after I gave my two-weeks notice)
    -company likes to tout itself as natural and eco-friendly, but pack a whole lot of chemicals in the products and are extremely wasteful. No recycling, everything has excess packaging (do you really need to wrap the box of your moisturizer in plastic?)
    -associates are pushed to sell Divine line of skincare (2 per day) even if it doesn't meet the customer's budget or skincare needs
    -associates are expected to do same amount of paperwork as manager, without the hours or the pay
    -computers and software are a joke. IT Department is extremely unhelpful

Re-evaluate your priorities. Update the look and feel of the stores and company. If you want to be relevant, you have to stop being stuck in the 70s and 80s. You're making yourselves obsolete!

Dismal like a soul-less shell....

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Just the free products.

Cons

Just the few 'Loves' for this company aren't detail enough to keep the crop of employees from jumping ship so fast that it would leave a person's head spinning to next century! From witnessing the past few months alone the dank-level quality of treatment the sales team gets just for trying to meet goal demands put in the form of a whiney, phoney email, to the excessive amount of work to put up the windows for each campaign - 2 people doing the work enough for roughly 6 -- with no Over Time Pay, no dinner offered for working until 10 or 11pm, no transportation or even expense compensation for that late ride home, or furthermore, THERAPY for the cycle of disrespect and abuse that's endless.

If you are a young woman thinking about applying, consider this: you will be working alone on many nights, or on any occasion should someone call out sick - leaving you vulnerable to trolls, shoplifters, refunds/exchanges from Hades, and no protection or support from management. You will be made to stay late, open ridiculously early for floor cleaning that proves ineffective (the floors still look like a stained mess) for no incentive whatsoever. You will be made to go hungry sometimes when you can't get a proper lunch brake coverage when short-staffed. With Christmas on full tilt, and a near impossible month goal to meet, you'll be worked to the brink of hating life.

Crystal Ball says this company is like the Titanic.

L'Occitane Photos

L'Occitane (Photo thanks to Flickr user Simon A, Some Rights Reserved)
L'Occitane (Photo thanks to Flickr user Beat Küng, Some Rights Reserved)
L'Occitane En Provence (Photo thanks to Flickr user Barney Bishop, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo