L'Occitane Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
2.7
L'Occitane Directeur Exécutif, Président du Conseil d'Administration et Président Directeur Général Reinold Geiger
Reinold Geiger

Pros
  • Great products are easy to sell (in 21 reviews)

• AMAZING employee discount (40%) and free products with every new promotion (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Intimidating not inspiring upper management (in 20 reviews)

• Absolutely no work-life balance despite company claims (in 8 reviews)

1. Not worth your energy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are running out of pros as a company. Yes you get a gratis but you get what you get. Can't complain because it is nice BUT isn't the point of a gratis for someone to USE IT to suggest to other clients. Some gratis does not make sense. Like giving a female a MALE fragrance or vice versa as gratis. Ends up being a giveaway...not very productive

Cons

List goes on and on . If you read the reviews you will see the same repetitious complaints.....but I would say #1 NO WORK LIFE BALANCE. A store is run on minimal to NO staff.

Expect a burnout within 6 months... no matter HOW GOOD YOU ARE....this isn't about skill. It's about enduring the consitent torture of events (that do nothing), demands, selling on sidewalks, paperwork on the salesfloor, minimal training, constant emails, floor moves, transfers, cycle counts, inventories, and oh...don't forget to sweep and mop... ( they call this entrepreneurship)

CAUTION:
    you work alone ALOT
    your store doors have decals saying (there is surveillance cameras) THERE ARE NONE -THIS IS A FALSE AND ILLEGAL STATEMENT
    your store doors have decals saying (we keep our doors closed for environmental reasons) in reference to a/c and heat control - FALSE AGAIN. THAT DOOR IS OPEN 24/7 Whether its 100 or -20 expect to be out on the sidewalk begging people to come in to buy $106 dollar moisturizer

You have so many skus. So many packing types now. YOU DONT KNOW WHO YOU ARE.
    Part of the store is loccitane, part is Kiehls, part is Fresh....lots of copies...THAT DONT WORK

Advice to Management

Why are you opening stores if you can't get the stores you have open to run properly? What kind of business model are you following......You have lost SO many good people , though will never admit to it, and are expecting new ones to fall for the trap

What to do?
    Make achievable goals
    Make easy clear expectations
    Stop the insane once a month window changes ( clients to this day do not care)

2. Seasonal

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of Gratis! Every time a new product came out the company would give you one to try for free!

Cons

Way too much going on at once (Gifts, sales, samples, trip giveaways, parties, etc.) and products are always changing and being discontinued.

Put your employees first, the sales will follow.

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great products. Alone a lot in the store. If you like that sort of thing...

Cons

Little to no training on product knowledge hands on. Compared to most luxury beauty brands gratis is a joke as is salary and bonus, well, say goodbye to any bonus checks they expect 30+% above LY numbers for each month. Corporate is so disconnected from the boutique reality and have little to no contact with managers that actually does any good. They send emails that are very "RAH RAH GO TEAM! Push harder!!!" But with no support to back it up. They spend SO much frivolous money on iPads that never work, programs they always halfway implement, and corporate events that draw no extra long term clientele. But when I ask corporate for my best tenured employees to get a $2 raise....they won't compensate and my employees walk because places like Kiehls, Aveda, Origins, Sephora...etc. are so much better to their people fiscally and support wise and I can't blame them! And payroll...HAH! I don't even have enough payroll hours to give everyone their state mandated breaks. I've never felt so unappreciated from a company in my entire career.

Advice to Management

Get your heads out of the fairy land reality you are all so clearly living in and GET INTO THE STORES. Go hang out in your lower volume boutiques for more than 30 minutes every 5 years. And show your "must win" stores winning leadership. If you can't figure out that you are managing HUMAN BEINGS...then this isn't the career for you. We aren't work horses. We all have a breaking point. I know the way the American stores are run is not the vision of Olivier and you should be ashamed of yourselves.

PTSA

I worked at L'Occitane

Pros

They have nice products from France.

Cons

No room for advancement, pay scale is horrible. Do not value employees at all.

Advice to Management

They don't care.

Not for seasoned managers

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Products are fabulous. Amazing people working in the field....but only for so long.

Cons

As many have stated here, so much wrong with this company. No payroll to complete the many, many operational tasks, store managers are basically glorified sales associates who do a little extra paperwork. Absolutely NO autonomy as a manager. You can't hire or fire anyone without approval from your DM or HR. Speaking of HR, such a joke! You can't even write an employee up without approval from HR and it takes months of documentation before that occurs even if the employee is incompetent, stealing, etc. No back office so all of your schedules, reports, paperwork need to be completed on sales floor in between customers. You are alone in the store 90% of the time. If you are a new manager, this may work for you, but if you are highly experienced you will feel like you are being babysat the entire time. Raises are a joke! Goals have been raised so no one can achieve bonus. Managers never get a weekend off unless requested months in advance and if another Store Manager in the district has already requested the same weekend off, it wont be approved.Favoritism vs. competency when promoting. I could go on and on but I won't waste anymore time....

Advice to Management

Corporate is completely disconnected from the field. Stop with all the emails congratulating all the promotions in corporate and celebrate the teams who pay your check!

Awful

I worked at L'Occitane full-time

Pros

Benefits of free products in trainings

Cons

Horrible, shady management. Lots of spying on employees and pathological liars as area managers.

Advice to Management

Do not belittle your employees, appreciate them and they will perform better.

One of the most terribly disorganized establishments out there.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Monthly Gratis
    40% Discount on non-sale items; 15% on sale items

Cons

The turnover rate in upper management is extremely concerning and affects the company as a whole, but the powers on high decide to blame associates at the store level. I've worked with the company for about two years and in my time there I've worked under four District Managers & Four Store Managers, of which two quit because they were either managed out by a newly appointed DM, or they were under incredible stress from unobtainable goals.

Upper Management (District, Regional, Director) has unlikely expectations of their stores and intends to rule them by fear instead of promoting a team environment, which goes directly against their teaching of PROSPERITY. In addition to unrealistic goals, the fact that corporate keeps opening stores so close to one another puts these shops in direct competition for the same client base, yet each store is expected to achieve 200-500k per year.

Due to such high turn over both the District & Store managers are ill equipped to run their districts and stores, respectively. New store managers are only given two weeks to learn the entire culture of L'Occitane by a manager who is busy running their own store, so the on-boarding process is very poor. This new SM in turn trains their own employees which inevitably leads to a cycle of misinformation and/or a lack of knowledge.

A new District Manager will come in and initiate an entirely different business practice than their predecessor, which leads to slow change and minimal results. Since they are being tasked by their own bosses to strive for better results, they in turn feel pressured and project this stress on to the Store Managers. This effect trickles down to the associates and this attitude is neither productive, nor does it incentivize said associates to work harder.

Advice to Management

The question shouldn't be, "What are the stores doing wrong?" Ultimately, upper management needs to ask themselves, "Why is our turnover so high, and is it affecting our business?" Because as an associate who's seen the terror that is working for your stores, it really is.

Please, clean out upper management in the appropriate areas that need it, specifically the directors that make all of the bad decisions and give the company a bad name. I'm convinced that L'Occitane doesn't even check Glassdoor, but I can assure you if they open up that Pandora's Box worth of information, they'll be surprised to see just how unhappy their associates, both current and formerly employed, have been throughout the years. Congratulations, L'Occitane, keep teaching that veiled PROSPERITY you cling on to so much.

Not great

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic Products. Interesting work. Rewarding co-workers and customers. The stores are lovely and the customers are very nice.

Cons

Negative leadership at the corporate level. A system of favoritism, ego, retaliation and general motions to eliminate tenure and cultivate a culture of personality. If you're not friends with the boss (in almost any department) you're out. Subtle (sometimes pretty obvious) discrimination against age, gender and physical appearance.

No life work balance for managers - time off is seen as suspect and discouraged. One is not allowed to take more than a week off at time. Ridiculous "black out" period for time off from November 1- January 2. In retail even more including the afore mentioned also includes February 7-14 and May 1- Mothers Day. This means literally you are not allowed to be off and sick time is discouraged.

Great place to work indeed - and wow, really fostering prosperity with such unrealistic work life balance expectations.

Advice to Management

Grow up - recognize that just because you believe you're a great place to work, doesn't actually make that true. Prosperity is nice, but actions speak louder than words. Oh, and feedback is not a gift - at least not when its tainted with the concept of "do as I say, not as I do."

Senior management is ego driven and is never, absolutely, NEVER wrong - at least in their own minds.

"Good ol boy network"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

product is great and comes from France

Cons

Lots of favoritism
    you get visits from someone who had the worst results in the company telling you how to deliver sales and they aren't even your boss

Advice to Management

Stop promoting your friends

Sales associate for about 2.5 years.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder

I worked at L'Occitane

Pros

Great product, that's about it. Trainings in SF were very effective. Enjoyed giving facials and hand massages to customers, so they could feel a little pampered.

Cons

I will always look back at my experience with this company as the worst I've ever had. Very unprofessional manager, who got away with everything by sucking up to the area or district manager. If you weren't her pet, then it sucked to be you. Not sure if she's still with the company, but I'm still in awe of how she was able to manage a store, when she was back stabbing and manipulating to her sales associates, with high turn over. No interaction with the stores from corporate. No possibility of promotion, though you were always told maybe. Practically ran one of the stores, as a sales associate, along with training a new manager from a near by store. Used and not appreciated for hard work repeatedly. You were to be alone in the store for hours, with no breaks as well.

Advice to Management

Hiring the right management. Actually promoting employees who are dedicated and knowledgeable about the company and product. Not leaving associates alone for hours. Corporate interacting with stores, so they involved with the successes of the company and reaching goals at the store level.

RSS Feed </> Embed