L'Occitane
www.loccitane.com Aix-en-Provence, France 5000+ Employees

L'Occitane Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

L'Occitane Directeur Exécutif, Président du Conseil d'Administration et Président Directeur Général Reinold Geiger

Reinold Geiger

Pros:
  • "Great products, most stores are quite beautiful"
    in 15 reviews
  • "It is easy to sell because it works"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lack of work life balance - taking personal or sick time is frowned upon"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Snooty Upper Management (especially some of the women there sheesh)"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Ok job, no strategy, French management that do not understand USA market

Product Manager (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsFree products and summer hours

ConsFrench management do not understand American market. HR not really involved. There is no marketing strategy at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould hire american management that understand this market.

This is a career dead zone

ProsGratis, a couple of loyal customers who help move a dogged day along.

ConsPolitics!! and Draconian type management. From past history (i.e., the last 6 or so months) the corporate leadership in this company has brought a ton of doubt and distaste amongst the store front crews. It's all on their obvious behavior, online and in person -- They pick favorites, ignore those not in the 'Preferred Kids' Clique' requests for help on dire issues (such as understaffed stores, some with less than 3 employees trying to manage on their own, security risks); interrogate managers who may not have made their stratospherically-high target deadline (despite breaking their backs trying so) and just being over all, untrustworthy or dependable when claiming to 'have your back'.

It is no wonder so many have quickly and quietly resigned - the heartburn and headache was too much. It was costing some their health!

And 'negative' people do not just 'happen' within this company, contrary to another Reviewer's belief - the negativity was bred through mounds of frustration and a whole host of many bad experiences that accumulated in time. Many of these employees began their jobs with earnest and good intentions, until a royal rude awakening. The abuse occurred, is real, promotions and growth are far and few in between those in the ground floor. You can put in a year of your life that you'll never get back for a poor 'pay raise' and career aspirations ignored. All of these observations, revelations?? FACT!!

If you are unlucky enough to be amongst the Black Sheep for any lame reason whatsoever, this company can scrape away one's confidence until they are a shell of their former selves. It is draining.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's too late for advice. Why bother....

Really cool company and great people..

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGreat products, people and benefits, the company and I'm happy with my co workers and benefits. Love the products and gratis also ... I also really love shower oil! Must have!!!

ConsReading these reviews! ..... I'm so Glad these negative people have moved on. It's so sad to read how nasty some people are. Loccitane has been good to me and helped me through loads of different issues I have faced. I have nothing but positive to say.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery approachable and open to feedback. Refreshing compared to my last job. Thanks also for my personal days!!!!!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You'll need REHAB from working here....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you are lucky, you will find an inner-support group network for job-survival purposes.

ConsFrom reading ALL those pain-filled reviews before this one (shared within the past 10+ weeks), just about everything posted are a deplorable CON, 10 times multiplied. This is a demoralizing environment. The store employees are severely burnt.

While corporate are busily shifting around existent employees into other positions of 'power' and/or 'influence' and being so self-congratulatory, they are taking no notice of the crumbling structure of what was once groups of mighty store teams. D.M.'s should go check in the mirror and get a good look at "What's Wrong with this Picture??"

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is NOTHING worth advising management about - they hate advice. Instead of nurturing, they callously wreck their own. Since they choose to remain motionless & not implement improvements, they are building themselves a home-made time bomb. And the store managers and associates are some of the first lambs led to slaughter.

~~~~> Advice for the unsuspecting newcomers who are still learning your way around: Beware. Know your rights. Otherwise Upper Management will take liberties and take away from you what has already been robbed of many, past and present:

- your health
    - a decent wage
    - a fit place to work

To those colleagues who have managed to bail out of this company: I raise my beer to you. Don't forget about those left behind!

Zero work-life balance with a hypocritical company

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsCompany attracts quality people (just can't retain them).
    40% discount

ConsManagers are just glorified sales associates, with absolutely zero authority. Can't interview/hire/promote or give raises without DM/corporate approval. DMs insist on interviewing all part time associates, and even some seasonals. Micro-managing from DMs are corporate is unreal.

Required to sell two $100 face creams a day, regardless of store traffic/sales volume. Yes, lower volume stores ($300k) are held to the same goal as million dollar stores. Required to show the $106 Divine cream to every customer who sets foot in the store, regardless of their actual interests which just leads to awkward interactions with customers who then perceive that you work on commission.

Company preaches prosperity and simplicity, but has dozens of metrics to meet on a daily basis: 2 Divines, 30% skincare, fragrance, conversion, increased ATV and tickets. All associates are held accountable to meeting these metrics and often have to explain slow days to nasty emails from corporate demanding an explanation.

Store goals are completely inconsistent, some are goaled up 5% to last year while others are goaled up 20%. When you hit your monthly goals and earn bonus they just increase your store's goals to make it more difficult to bonus (even if you're out performing all other stores). When some stores are performing at higher volume sales trends they increase the goals, but then don't increase your bonus or available labor hours accordingly.

Business decisions that make zero sense: spend hundreds of thousands of dollars renovating low volume stores that haven't shown sales increase in years, but eliminate the Learning and Development team. Imagine the jobs that could have been created/retained if that money had been invested in associate education instead of giving under-performing stores an unnecessary facelift.

Absolutely no work-life balance despite company claims. Most stores operate with only 3 or four associates and stretch them to five days a week at just 4-5 hour shifts, which makes switching a shift or taking a legit sick day nearly impossible due to lack of employees available to cover extra shifts.

Horrible training. No management on boarding training, instead you get a few days working in another store and are expected to learn as you go. Training on products is non-existent. Part time associates are expected to be able to open and close by themselves after just 4 days of training.

Annual "bonuses" aka merit increases are insulting, and generally just a 2% increase. And they find numerous ways to score you down so that you don't qualify for an increase. Proof? The manager with the highest review score in the whole U.S. scored just a 3.5 out of 5. That's how little they think of their whole management team??

Advice to Senior ManagementThey don't listen (they write everything off as excuses)...but practice what you preach. Employees in the stores feel over-worked and unheard. Be receptive to the heartfelt feedback your employees have been trying to give you.

Think twice before submitting your resumé

ProsRelatively tidy stores. Store soundtrack that doesn't sound like a funeral dirge.

ConsWhen target numbers are not met due to a bad season or no-fault regardless of all efforts, it's the store teams that suffer and are unfairly 'punished' by having the following taken away from them:

- number of allotted hours to stay afloat
    - stability, safety, and structure
    - the possibility of becoming Full-time with benefits (if you are a part-timer already putting in more than 32 hours consistently)

Result from the above mentioned, are a bare-bones crew running a store that will wear them to the core! Just 1 Associate, no manager around to resolve situations, and 5-8 customers in a store all at once with ZERO back up, and worse, registers that freeze. The pressure placed on the one sales person in closing shift is outrageous, especially if the day began slow, and the final hours are dependent to drag in that last 1k needed to make goal. There is no safety guarantee! Many of these associates are young women trying to work a closing shift alone, often late, often minding not only a store, the products, but also their defenseless selves.

Also, for Part-Timers, they are relatively screwed of hours, sending many scrambling around to scratch up shifts. Many Part-Timers need their jobs to pay for school, cover living expenses, and save for rainy days -- and this company makes it nearly impossible to plan your life. On top of that, so many are not trained properly on policies, how to deal with problem customers and registers, trouble-shooting, and compliancy rules. Mistakes are made, and frustrations accumulate. So many have quit, it's become a game of "Who's Next and How Soon".

Full-timers and managers are already stretched to the point of apathy. With the ever mounting pressure and constant changes, it all becomes just a big stress-pile, and a huge joke to come to work - breaking points are reached. The next game should be titled 'How Soon before Collapse' for this company!

Advice to Senior ManagementAs several reviews have said, Corporate Management does not care about the store employees. Advice falls on deaf ears!

A French Company Destroyed By British Men!

Anonymous (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe origin and products are of course endearing and inspiring. The past of this once great brand remains in the quality of the products.

ConsThe title says it all. Our US staff is headed by incompetent leaders that rather than develop or hire people here installed the most insidious group of underlings from the UK. This boys club functions by gossiping and character assassination while patting eachother on the back. Under current leadership there have been ... Drum roll please... a list of awkward unprofitable store openings in weird markets. The stores are hemoraging staff old and new alike because the pressure of these underperforming stores is put on the salespeople. Our annual sales goals have been consistently increased by a rate of 20% leaving team morale lower than the 1% percent annual pay raises we've been getting for the last 2 years. Reviews and hours are constantly tampered with. We have virtually no part time staff and full timers have to work max 32 hours over the span of 5 days per week. Employees are miserable and tired of working alone with the doors open and fake cameras in a work environment so hostile it makes a military gulag look like a Disney movie. If you accept an offer from this company beware that right now they just need bodies in the stores. That does not mean you won't eventually be on someone's blacklist for your personal aesthetics, your opinions and feelings, or just because. It is impossible to comp your own numbers due to unrealistic sales goals. Bad people are in power here.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice at this point would be silly. All of the people who once loved this brand are gone, leaving or looking to leave. This list includes VPs down to part time sales staff. You should have worked with people here as they either loved the brand or could be trained to fulfill your arbitrary requirements. L'Occitane used to be a career destination point for many of us and now it's just another stop on the train many of us would rather forget. Hopefully Reinhold will read this and take out the trash.

A balloon, a cookie and a terrible job

ProsProducts
    People at store level are nice
    Medical coverage for full time

ConsInability to do anything that will ever make upper management happy
    Bullying and favoritism- I have witnessed many good employees bullied and treated horribly for no good reason
    Vicious emails if the day is not made
    Micromanagement daily
    Inability to use sick or personal or vacation time without being scolded
    Treated like you are a child
    Write ups and verbal warnings for trivial things
    No work life balance
    Disorganized
    Not an open-door policy, you are on your own if you have a problem

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people as you want to be treated.

Everything failed

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGood people to work with

ConsUpper management failed. Very limited communication within the company, super micro management , a manager doesn't act like a management role is more like just a store keeper, has not right and no power to control everything. everything happens in the store have to be waited for the approval from DM/AM who is never pick up the phone either reply the email. Back room is super small and tiny and they expected you could maintain it super clean and well organized which is a missing impossible.
    Everything about the company is unorganized and unstructured. Inventory control also terrible and warehouse always ship out ton of garbage that what we so call environment friendly but actually it is not! super wasting money on stupid package like boxes or tissues

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease hired someone professional as least have a relative background on management. And better communication within the company is very important at least you have to understand how much effort that front line employees made. Please stop saying any empty words and keep sending out any useless email and do more real job that show you are working. We don't need people to stuck up we need people do real job!

They preach teamwork and unity and it couldn't be further from the truth.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOther people held hostage by an economy that is difficult to find make means in another company at the moment. Some of these people at mid to lower lever are some of the finest.

ConsAbusive leaders.
    Almost military like approach without military intelligence.
    Ridiculously long work days.
    Hostile workplace.
    Unrealistic expectations.
    Inhumane treatment of anyone who does not fit the"profile" or someone who doesn't have history with other across the pond.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that the company is not long of this earth. The people who have been put in positions of leadership in this country from other countries have destroyed the integrity and vision of a beautiful brand.
    NYC-NJ

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for L'Occitane? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at L'Occitane reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for L'Occitane CEO Reinold Geiger. All 129 reviews posted anonymously by L'Occitane employees.