L'Occitane

L'Occitane Reviews

Updated March 1, 2015
Updated March 1, 2015
2.5

L'Occitane Directeur Exécutif, Président du Conseil d'Administration et Président Directeur Général Reinold Geiger
Reinold Geiger

Pros
  • Great products with great ingredients that work (in 21 reviews)

• Generous employee discount enabled us to purchase products for personal use (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Snooty Upper Management (especially some of the women there sheesh) (in 20 reviews)

• Lack of work life balance - taking personal or sick time is frowned upon (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Rather interesting experience....

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at L'Occitane

Pros

Work-Life balance, Sometimes free products, Contests with free products, Discount, My team were fun for the most part. DM was nice (albeit had a reputation amongst the store for being useless and constantly unavailable)

Cons

very poorly managed, terrible inventory control, horrible lack of communication from upper management

Don't just show up before a big store visit to do your job. If you are a DM then you should try and support the store as opposed to making yourself unavailable for calls or discussions or actual goal planning. If your own reports show a dip of 35% in traffic but all other KPIs are being excelling, then perhaps helping your stores plan would be far more beneficial.

pretty good considering it's retail....

I worked at L'Occitane

Pros

Good employee discount, Small environment, nice people and good co workers

Cons

Sometimes felt "out of place" or talked about

Enter at Your Own Risk

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in New York, NY

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

Gratis and excellent products. Training is ok. It used to be better when you had an actual class. I wonder if it became too expensive because now it's just watch a video and written information. It's still ok though because trainers seem to be available for questions.

Cons

Challenges employees face: zero support from upper management, lip service only, they require employees to give give give and all you get back is gratis when you'd rather have ACTION. Managers are often required to manage 2 stores but only some get more pay for it. If upper management doesn't like the manager then the whole staff pays for it. They hire inexperienced managers and assistant managers and expect them to work out but part-time staff end up managing and coaching these "managers". District Managers only seem to focus on large and flagship stores then wonder why things fall apart. They also expect you to work in subpar conditions like lack of heat in winter. Every winter they act like this is something new. Give Us a Break or at least look into the situation. Ask about the turn over rate if your applying for a job. If management were as good as the products this could be A Great Pace to Work but they just don't seem to realize the people selling the product are to be valued. I'm beginning to wonder if this really stems from Ronald Geiger, the owner. This company is all talk no action. Employees working alone in stores from morning until closing. Not Safe and not healthy. Managers send the schedules to district managers and they just let it happen. If you're a product at L'occitane you're golden - if you're an employee - tough luck. It's taken years to write this - finally lost hope. Very sad.

Dear Management,

Both Davids - Thank you very much for the gratis. Amazing and very nice. But I'd give that up for more of your involvement at the store level. Please read the above feedback. Heat doesn't seem like too much ask for. Please don't have managers manage more than one store. There is a reason you probably haven't made these people district managers. IF you must do it then perhaps choose a manager from a store close by like Third/Madison/86 or Columbus/Broadway/Time Warner or Bleecker/Soho/Meatpacking and for the sake of each stores staff consider the time of year this is being done. L'Occitane can be great but we're losing something. When employees are under valued and moral is low, how much selling will happen? Energy may be free, the mood ladder may be a good reminder, cartoon cheerleader emails may be humorous but talk is cheap. I tried to address these things in a less public manner and directly but it falls on deaf ears. Want to sell more? Help Us Help You.

Satisfactory.

I worked at L'Occitane

Pros

Good work environment; nice coworkers.

Cons

Getting my check was a little slow.

Great environment and products

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Manager set competitions, free products to try, full training, benefits after 3 months

Cons

Sometimes dealing with sobby customers

No work life balance whatsoever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

nice stores
    nice products
    nice coworkers
    you always have hope

Cons

1. operational hell - you are exhausted from too many operations.inventories, cycle counts, transfers, adjustments, merchandising, running around for event supplies, plus your basics...and this isnt quarterly or twice a year! it is weekly.monthly! you will get easily burned out . most companies have full staff and don't even do half those operations

2.no work life balance- on top of the exhaustion of operations and trying to make sales on top of that you are called on your day off, questioned about being sick for a day, emailed at home, as if you are not even off! I work for loccitane I don't own it !

3..wasteful. the MOST wasteful retailer I have seen in my life. NOT earth friendly at all. from the amount of packaging, tissue, little tags , and cutouts, bags for every campaign, boxes, and unused things that get thrown out. etc. to the windows that change every month. the windows have so many components completely thrown out every three weeks. metal pieces,giant hard framed posters etc. wow. walk past a loccitane after a window change. the sidewalk looks like a jungle. we must have a landfill of our own in every state. SO MUCH GARBAGE. yet we claim being natural?????
    go visit a green company and see what minimal is needed.

the company overall needs to be streamlined. too much operational focus. TOO many chiefs. you have everyone giving advice and directives and micromanaging managers UNTIL the store underperforms and THEN it is the managers fault .
    Nice set up
    My question to upper management is if you were to look at your employees in your district right now ask yourself:
    do i know them ?
    do i know why they work for me?
    what are their interests?
    how can I get them there?

NONE OF THAT IS HAPPENING.. hence you simply have only turnover . hence why 34% according to glassdoor would recommend this company to someone else. 34%? SCARY and thats for all positions

Beautiful Products, Ugly Company

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

Great Discount
    Very Very Very tiny gratis at the start of every campaign

Cons

Overbearing leadership
    You only exist to sell a single product line (Divine)
    No regard for what skin care is actually beneficial to the customer. Just sell Divine creams!
    Expectation to harass customers
    Out of touch and very 80s approach to sales. Modern shoppers generally want to be left alone and will ask for help if needed
    Constant Role Playing

Why don't you just eliminate all of the other skin care lines and just sell products in the Divine range? Also, please realize that modern consumers will generally prefer to be left alone and/or will ask for help when they need it. Stop encouraging associates to badger people. And a word of advice to associates:don't get too comfy with your coworkers. They will quit in 6 months or less.

Not a good place to work

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Not really much. The employee discount is ok, but the products are mediocre to use.

Cons

No work life balance. Taking a sick or personal day is frowned upon and you will receive texts at home harassing you to return and to even go get a doctors note when it is not warranted and even are asked to take a photo of it on your phone and email to the DM! Any product concerns take weeks to hear back from home office. There is basically zero training you are just dropped into the store. Preference is given to sales associates of Asian descent over more qualified sales associates just to attend to this customer base. Was told to only hire asians if I was to hire anyone else. Just and awful place with poor upper management who care very little about you.

Get to know your teams and train and develop them. Show support and not harass someone for being sick. Call the store once in a blue moon and check in!

Okay

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

Gratis
    Promoted if you work hard

Cons

Salary
    Hard Selling of Expensive Products
    Poor Training

Too much control

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Columbus, OH

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Product is special, truly the best way to enjoy the south of France without the flight to Paris and driving to Provence.

Cons

It's very true all of the observations offered here. Training crammed on you while selling at the same time.

Employees should be very low key because shopping for luxury items must be an enjoyable experience however the management has so many instructions and as they call them "always" stipulations for the staff that they feel pressured into an unnatural dialogue.

L'Occitane Photos

L'Occitane (Photo thanks to Flickr user Simon A, Some Rights Reserved)
L'Occitane (Photo thanks to Flickr user Beat Küng, Some Rights Reserved)
L'Occitane En Provence (Photo thanks to Flickr user Barney Bishop, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo