L'Occitane

L'Occitane Reviews

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
2.4

L'Occitane Directeur Exécutif, Président du Conseil d'Administration et Président Directeur Général Reinold Geiger
Reinold Geiger

Pros
  • Great products with great ingredients that work (in 21 reviews)

• Generous employee discount enabled us to purchase products for personal use (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Snooty Upper Management (especially some of the women there sheesh) (in 20 reviews)

• Lack of work life balance - taking personal or sick time is frowned upon (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Generally satisfied.

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

The pay at L'occitane is relatively high compared to other stores. Gratis and employee discount is also pretty generous. Small pretty boutiques makes it more relaxing.

Cons

Pressure on sales is too much. Lots of responsibilities and confusing marketing. Also not enough staffing.

Mediocre

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent starting hourly rate. I would say gratis but every piece I've received is a scent that doesn't wear well on me so I end up gifting it anyway.

Cons

Long days even as a part-timer. When they hired me they presented the company in a completely different light than what it really is. They said they don't cold call and clientele but that was a lie. They push you to make unattainable goals and when you actually do exceed expectations you don't hear a positive word about it. Management is moody and NEVER works weekends. I've worked as a skin lead for almost ten years and make as much money as the other associates who know nothing about skin care and haven't even worked in retail before. The business has so much potential but it's like they have no idea what they're doing. This job would be ideal for someone that's only looking for a very part time position.

Stop setting goals so high and pushing the wrong skin care on people. Let the product sell itself. Work weekends and nights!

A trip to Provence in your hometown

Former Employee - Full-Time Sales Associate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Full-Time Sales Associate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was an honor working for this company. Beautiful environment, Product Education like opening a good book. Entrancing in the spell that is cast.

Cons

Better communication from between company and associates other than e-mail that is to be monitored thru out the day.
    Constant barrage of "events" that are no longer special, or create excitement. Consumers are jaded by this.

The staff is human, as are the consumers and when you have someone who really loves the product and work nurture this and build from it.
    Unsettling manner in which customer challenges are handled.
    Have your teams back or they will not have yours.
    The customer is not always right. They are working out a frustration out on an individual who is powerless to defend themselves.
    In the pursuit for money in business one must draw the line as to where it is too much and becomes humiliation for the individual at any cost, so long as they are buying something.
    Tighten up on the disgusting returns. People should be ashamed but they never are. It is STEALING and the attitude is that "this is a big company can absorb it". That may be true but multiply that a thousand times and then you are not making money.

I thank you for the Miraculous Product Olivier. You brought LIVING SOUL to those of us who understand.

Dismal like a soul-less shell....

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Just the free products.

Cons

Just the few 'Loves' for this company aren't detail enough to keep the crop of employees from jumping ship so fast that it would leave a person's head spinning to next century! From witnessing the past few months alone the dank-level quality of treatment the sales team gets just for trying to meet goal demands put in the form of a whiney, phoney email, to the excessive amount of work to put up the windows for each campaign - 2 people doing the work enough for roughly 6 -- with no Over Time Pay, no dinner offered for working until 10 or 11pm, no transportation or even expense compensation for that late ride home, or furthermore, THERAPY for the cycle of disrespect and abuse that's endless.

If you are a young woman thinking about applying, consider this: you will be working alone on many nights, or on any occasion should someone call out sick - leaving you vulnerable to trolls, shoplifters, refunds/exchanges from Hades, and no protection or support from management. You will be made to stay late, open ridiculously early for floor cleaning that proves ineffective (the floors still look like a stained mess) for no incentive whatsoever. You will be made to go hungry sometimes when you can't get a proper lunch brake coverage when short-staffed. With Christmas on full tilt, and a near impossible month goal to meet, you'll be worked to the brink of hating life.

Crystal Ball says this company is like the Titanic.

Its a good job to start off with

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Boutique like environment is very nice.

Cons

Leadership is Overbearing and Annoying.

Relaxing, enjoyable, and respectable retail experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture at L'occitane is very enjoyable -- there is a strong sense of trust and respect that the managers try to implement and I appreciated this a lot as a PT Sales Associate. There is sometimes pressure to sell but it's team-wide and there is also a strong focus on building relationships with customers. The customers are often classy and polite, and easy to work with. I was working part-time during full-time university and my managers were always extremely accommodating and understanding with my hours. They are also very generous with employee discount and perks.

Cons

There was often a lack of communication with our District Manager as she was so incredibly busy -- hard to get in touch with her and get questions answered sometimes. Pay is good compared to standard retail but considering that this is a high-end company it could be better.

Invest more in your upper-level management, it is clear that they are being stretched out very thin and this leads to frustration with the store-level employees.

Love it!

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time

Pros

Great pay, part time. Allows me to attend college and do other things outside of work.

Cons

None. Cons are subjective. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Love it

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

Great pay great products great customers

Cons

Smelling all that stuff makes my head hurt

Nothing

Great brand, horrible place to work.

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The often have events & products that support charitable organizations. Maternity leave is loner than what most companies offer. And of course, great products. With every launch they would provide all employees in the corporate office with something from the new launch.

Cons

Any problem you have will fall on deaf ears. They use unpaid interns to do the work of someone who should have real experience (and be paid!). It's was a very negative work environment when I was there. People were crying at work all the time. No work life balance at all. Disorganized team with complete disregard for each other's time.

Don't compare your employee's job to being raped in their review.

Great for individuals with an entreprenurial spirit and willing make their personal success their own responsibility. (As should be)

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time

Pros

-Amazing co-workers
    -Monthly gratis is very generous (better than many other cosmetic brands)
    -Programs available for growth
    -DM's are more active within the stores than other companies I have worked for (including visits with agendas for improvement, and helpful advice for merchandising)
    -Correspondence between stores in the district is like no other company I have worked for. Lots of encouragement.)

Cons

-Daily reports/memos are overwhelming at times, flooding inbox (and I'm a full-timer. Not sure how my manager feels)
    -Be more conciencious around holidays with tasks to be done so we can leave earlier and enjoy time with family and friends

Every company has areas of opportunity. Keep doing what you're doing. Those employees who want more pay for mediocre work always have the option to go elsewhere.

L'Occitane Photos

L'Occitane (Photo thanks to Flickr user Simon A, Some Rights Reserved)
L'Occitane (Photo thanks to Flickr user Beat Küng, Some Rights Reserved)
L'Occitane En Provence (Photo thanks to Flickr user Barney Bishop, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo