L'Occitane

L'Occitane Reviews

Updated January 22, 2015
Updated January 22, 2015
2.4

L'Occitane Directeur Exécutif, Président du Conseil d'Administration et Président Directeur Général Reinold Geiger
Reinold Geiger

Pros
  • Great products with great ingredients that work (in 21 reviews)

• Generous employee discount enabled us to purchase products for personal use (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Snooty Upper Management (especially some of the women there sheesh) (in 20 reviews)

• Lack of work life balance - taking personal or sick time is frowned upon (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Love it!

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time

Pros

Great pay, part time. Allows me to attend college and do other things outside of work.

Cons

None. Cons are subjective. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Love it

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

Great pay great products great customers

Cons

Smelling all that stuff makes my head hurt

Nothing

Upper management have no clue how the daily business works.. Very disconnected from reality

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lovely customers. Hardworking and wonderful associates in store. Good employee discount. Great products. Love the true stories and the roots of the company.

Cons

Sales Associates do 90% of the work but get little or no recognition. After more than 3 years pay has only increases 95 cents even though sales goals are met and exceeded. DM hires " friends" from outside company rather than promote hardworking associates from within. DM has no idea how to answer common questions or how to ring up a customer. No recycling of product testers. They are thrown in trash.

All upper management should have to actually work in boutiques a certain amount of time each month to see and understand how them daily business actually runs and how to make real improvements rather then sit behind their computer threatening associates/store managers with unrealistic goals and negative emails.

Its a good job to start off with

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Boutique like environment is very nice.

Cons

Leadership is Overbearing and Annoying.

Great for individuals with an entreprenurial spirit and willing make their personal success their own responsibility. (As should be)

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time

Pros

-Amazing co-workers
    -Monthly gratis is very generous (better than many other cosmetic brands)
    -Programs available for growth
    -DM's are more active within the stores than other companies I have worked for (including visits with agendas for improvement, and helpful advice for merchandising)
    -Correspondence between stores in the district is like no other company I have worked for. Lots of encouragement.)

Cons

-Daily reports/memos are overwhelming at times, flooding inbox (and I'm a full-timer. Not sure how my manager feels)
    -Be more conciencious around holidays with tasks to be done so we can leave earlier and enjoy time with family and friends

Every company has areas of opportunity. Keep doing what you're doing. Those employees who want more pay for mediocre work always have the option to go elsewhere.

Lots of promises that were never fulfilled

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

-decent pay
    -gratis at the start of every campaign
    -awesome co-workers

Cons

-micro-managing from upper management
    -managers will promise you a lot of things, but can't deliver
    -no room for advancement (I was promised a full-time position for almost a year and was offered it 4 days after I gave my two-weeks notice)
    -company likes to tout itself as natural and eco-friendly, but pack a whole lot of chemicals in the products and are extremely wasteful. No recycling, everything has excess packaging (do you really need to wrap the box of your moisturizer in plastic?)
    -associates are pushed to sell Divine line of skincare (2 per day) even if it doesn't meet the customer's budget or skincare needs
    -associates are expected to do same amount of paperwork as manager, without the hours or the pay
    -computers and software are a joke. IT Department is extremely unhelpful

Re-evaluate your priorities. Update the look and feel of the stores and company. If you want to be relevant, you have to stop being stuck in the 70s and 80s. You're making yourselves obsolete!

Dismal like a soul-less shell....

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Just the free products.

Cons

Just the few 'Loves' for this company aren't detail enough to keep the crop of employees from jumping ship so fast that it would leave a person's head spinning to next century! From witnessing the past few months alone the dank-level quality of treatment the sales team gets just for trying to meet goal demands put in the form of a whiney, phoney email, to the excessive amount of work to put up the windows for each campaign - 2 people doing the work enough for roughly 6 -- with no Over Time Pay, no dinner offered for working until 10 or 11pm, no transportation or even expense compensation for that late ride home, or furthermore, THERAPY for the cycle of disrespect and abuse that's endless.

If you are a young woman thinking about applying, consider this: you will be working alone on many nights, or on any occasion should someone call out sick - leaving you vulnerable to trolls, shoplifters, refunds/exchanges from Hades, and no protection or support from management. You will be made to stay late, open ridiculously early for floor cleaning that proves ineffective (the floors still look like a stained mess) for no incentive whatsoever. You will be made to go hungry sometimes when you can't get a proper lunch brake coverage when short-staffed. With Christmas on full tilt, and a near impossible month goal to meet, you'll be worked to the brink of hating life.

Crystal Ball says this company is like the Titanic.

Great brand, horrible place to work.

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The often have events & products that support charitable organizations. Maternity leave is loner than what most companies offer. And of course, great products. With every launch they would provide all employees in the corporate office with something from the new launch.

Cons

Any problem you have will fall on deaf ears. They use unpaid interns to do the work of someone who should have real experience (and be paid!). It's was a very negative work environment when I was there. People were crying at work all the time. No work life balance at all. Disorganized team with complete disregard for each other's time.

Don't compare your employee's job to being raped in their review.

It's so funny to read these.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

The only pro after working for this pathetic brand is products, SOME of the people and knowing that once you've worked here it can only go up.

Cons

They are all the same. Probably haven't changed since I left. Europeans are generally cheap. I'm glad to be employed by a company that makes money and has deep pockets. Some Employees have this conception that you have to suffer needlessly to be in high end. What they fail to realize is this brand is not even that. Not by a long shot.

Reinhold Sell your company and fire those British guys. Everyone hates them.

If you like work for a company with favoritism this is for you!

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

All pros have been said, mainly co workers and product quality

Cons

If you would like to work for a company where the district manager send an email listing the 5 smartest/best employees around (a genius list) this is for you. Just make sure you work for less than you are worth, sell your life for this company and pretend to not feel working here is hellish to make the list.

Stop favoritism this isn't grade school

L'Occitane Photos

L'Occitane (Photo thanks to Flickr user Simon A, Some Rights Reserved)
L'Occitane (Photo thanks to Flickr user Beat Küng, Some Rights Reserved)
L'Occitane En Provence (Photo thanks to Flickr user Barney Bishop, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo