L'Occitane

L'Occitane Reviews

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
2.4

L'Occitane Directeur Exécutif, Président du Conseil d'Administration et Président Directeur Général Reinold Geiger
Reinold Geiger

Pros
  • Great products with great ingredients that work (in 21 reviews)

• Generous employee discount enabled us to purchase products for personal use (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Snooty Upper Management (especially some of the women there sheesh) (in 20 reviews)

• Lack of work life balance - taking personal or sick time is frowned upon (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

If you like work for a company with favoritism this is for you!

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

All pros have been said, mainly co workers and product quality

Cons

If you would like to work for a company where the district manager send an email listing the 5 smartest/best employees around (a genius list) this is for you. Just make sure you work for less than you are worth, sell your life for this company and pretend to not feel working here is hellish to make the list.

Stop favoritism this isn't grade school

Inconsistent and unsettling.

Current Employee - Boutique Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Boutique Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great products with great ingredients that work. Company cares about the environment and the impact it has on it.

Cons

So disorganized! They blame everyone for their mistakes. No matter how hard you work, you will not get promoted unless you have a friend in senior management. They take no accountability for anything but demands accountability from boutique employee's. If you give a realistic view of the business and it's shortcomings you are then "excuse driven". This company may care about the environment but cares nothing about it's employee's. Reviews are very negative. Feedback from senior management is very negative. I imagine this was once a great company to work for. Not so much these days.

This company's leadership should revisit the core values and apply them. Respect and integrity do not exist in L'Occitane.

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get paid. Small gratis once a month.

Cons

Please read above where I had applied that information within the title description. Thank you. Thank you very much, etc, etc, etc.

Yep.

Out of touch company - corporate vs retail

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good products. Salary was OK.

Cons

I hate to be negative (karma and all) but....

The corporate seemed to be WAY OUT OF TOUCH with the stores. Would never send enough product (sometimes not at all) for campaigns. Always too many corrections (based on previous retail) and discount codes never worked for campaigns.

Payroll gets dropped every work period so you have to make constant adjustments. Always looking to save money so what do they do? Spend astronomical amounts of money on events but none on the employees.

Review system is set so no one can ever get outstanding. We were even told that no one should ever get high marks (even if they deserved them.)

Bonus structure is fairly unobtainable unless you work in a high traffic area. Smaller stores will never get it.

Also, one word "Divine" and I don't mean that in a complimentary way. Too much emphasis was placed on selling this product when there were other products that were totally ignored (Angelica). Every time a customer came in we had to demo the Divine line - even if it wasn't suitable for the client. For example:

Sales "Bonjour welcome to L'Occitane. So what brings you in today?"
    Client "A bar of soap"
    Sales "Great! But let me show you this $107.00 bottle of face cream (slight ad-lib here)"
    Client "All I want is soap"
    Sales "No but you MUST try the divine - its fabulous!!"
    Client "No. I just want soap"
    Sales "This demo will only take just a second!"
    Client "No."

I hated harassing the clients like this. And again, other skin care was totally ignored even though it was a better match and by the time you are throwing divine down their throat - they didn't want to even look at anything else.

Also, too many "one time products". And the next time a client came in we would have to tell them, sorry - that was an LTD.

Work with the stores. Have your stuff ready. Stop making corrections and get it right the first time.

Think about the client and less about the money you can milk out of them on expensive products they don't need.

Recognize employees as opposed to ignoring them.

Get a better POS system. Client wait time sometimes caused them to leave the store.

Such an amazing work environment.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Mission Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Mission Viejo, CA

I worked at L'Occitane as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff
    interactions with guests
    easy products to get to learn and love

Cons

long work hours
    work on holidays
    training was a smooth transition

Grateful to have left this madness

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good camaraderie with coworkers. They are the 'sisters-(and some brothers)-in-suffering'.
    Decent products.
    Aside from the above 2, cannot think of much else.

Cons

The cons that have already been posted are so repetitive, so pathetic that it has been an entertaining read. Definitely confirms one thing: since having left this company long while back, that nothing has changed for the better. The current employees ought to band together and form an outside counseling group to console one other while looking for better opportunities. So many have quit, the teams from 6 months ago are now unrecognizable, and that includes corporate.

With the holidays approaching, Management better do more than cheap words wrapped in tawdry emails to 'boost' their teams. Put yourself into their shoes and really see what it's like to toil just to keep doors and business going. Quit with the clown costumes, the inane, robotic scripts and phony attitudes - all you've managed to do is breed a political cesspool where sister pits against sister.

As for any potential Seasonals who are even thinking of applying.....better read through before signing your life away.

Great company, poor management

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Monthly gratis is great you always get to try the newest things before they come out. Hours are great they worked around my schedule.

Cons

Poor management. When people need let go upper management is lazy and doesn't document things the way the should. They don't allow anytime for quarterly staff meetings.

Give more authority to your store managers.

A Pig Wearing a Lipstick is still a Pig

Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at L'Occitane (more than a year)

Pros

The products are about the only thing admirable about this company. They are effective and worth the price. They sell themselves.

Cons

L'Occitane is entirely controlled by its Marketing Department which deigns to open new stores rather than advertise via proven mass marketing techniques leaving store staff member to held accountable for anything from unsuccessful campaigns to extreme weather events.
    Upper management is petty, disconnected, elitist and highly retaliatory. As managers we are instructed to torture rather than fire associates and lower their annual reviews scores so annual increases impossible all to save a buck. It has been said that under current leadership we have never been more successful. Yet are annual Sales conference is cancelled due to budget concerns. Successful? right...
    In addition to hour tampering and action plans the average employee has to know and is held responsible for Everything... everything. Oh And we get transferred every 6 months without fail just she it's time to cash in on all the hounding I mean clientelling. Oh by the way that's not even a word.

Advice is silly give at this point. But here are some ideas for our morning coffees.. Drum roll please is dumb. Champaign and cookies are illegal. And energy is not free, especially toxic energy you spew at the stores. Work life balance doesn't exist.

not fun aymore

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

love the employess, and the gratis

Cons

hate upper management, hate the way we get treated

Inconsistent

Current Employee - PTSA
    Current Employee - PTSA

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

pleasant work environment, decent pay, great discount, you don't have to lie about what you're selling

Cons

inconsistent merchandising, corporate body seems determined to prevent stores from getting bonuses, compounding top-down micromanagement at times, false enthusiasm at the corporate level

communication between departments in corporate - it's obvious that it doesn't happen

L'Occitane Photos

L'Occitane (Photo thanks to Flickr user Simon A, Some Rights Reserved)
L'Occitane (Photo thanks to Flickr user Beat Küng, Some Rights Reserved)
L'Occitane En Provence (Photo thanks to Flickr user Barney Bishop, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo