L'Occitane Reviews

Reset

Full-time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time

Pros

Direct managers, assitant managers, and district managers are great. Very supportive of associates. Great ideals on being positive and productive as a company.

Cons

Constant marketing and merchandising changeover. Wasteful of products and signage for a supposedly natural company. Upper management, at a corporate level, are unaware and horrible at following up. Corporate managers are very passive agressive towards each other. They have certain ideals that speak of prosperity, being positive, and supportive but upper management does not lead by example.

Advice to Management

Follow up with people in a store level. Support those who support you. If people are unhappy in a store level because of lack of follow up on promotions, your stores will fall apart. Do not work your employees like dogs. Pay them the amount the deserve for their quality of work. Do not make your part timers work as full timers, full timers as management, and management as corporate. Follow your company ideals and lead by example. Show how to be a leader rather than telling people how to Lead.

2. Fun, exciting part time job

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder in Madison, WI

Pros

Flexible hours, fun, clean work environment, great products

Cons

Pay is on the lower size

One of the most terribly disorganized establishments out there.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Monthly Gratis 40% Discount on non-sale items; 15% on sale items

Cons

The turnover rate in upper management is extremely concerning and affects the company as a whole, but the powers on high decide to blame associates at the store level. I've worked with the company for about two years and in my time there I've worked under four District Managers & Four Store Managers, of which two quit because they were either managed out by a newly appointed DM, or they were under incredible stress from unobtainable goals. Upper Management (District, Regional, Director) has unlikely expectations of their stores and intends to rule them by fear instead of promoting a team environment, which goes directly against their teaching of PROSPERITY. In addition to unrealistic goals, the fact that corporate keeps opening stores so close to one another puts these shops in direct competition for the same client base, yet each store is expected to achieve 200-500k per year. Due to such high turn over both the District & Store managers are ill equipped to run their districts and stores, respectively. New store managers are only given two weeks to learn the entire culture of L'Occitane by a manager who is busy running their own store, so the on-boarding process is very poor. This new SM in turn trains their own employees which inevitably leads to a cycle of misinformation and/or a lack of knowledge. A new District Manager will come in and initiate an entirely different business practice than their predecessor, which leads to slow change and minimal results. Since they are being tasked by their own bosses to strive for better results, they in turn feel pressured and project this stress on to the Store Managers. This effect trickles down to the associates and this attitude is neither productive, nor does it incentivize said associates to work harder.

Advice to Management

The question shouldn't be, "What are the stores doing wrong?" Ultimately, upper management needs to ask themselves, "Why is our turnover so high, and is it affecting our business?" Because as an associate who's seen the terror that is working for your stores, it really is. Please, clean out upper management in the appropriate areas that need it, specifically the directors that make all of the bad decisions and give the company a bad name. I'm convinced that L'Occitane doesn't even check Glassdoor, but I can assure you if they open up that Pandora's Box worth of information, they'll be surprised to see just how unhappy their associates, both current and formerly employed, have been throughout the years. Congratulations, L'Occitane, keep teaching that veiled PROSPERITY you cling on to so much.

5. From Seasonal to Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

L'Occitane was my first retail job. I had no idea what to expect, and while the company has grown and changed drastically over the 7+ years I've been a team member, so have I! Sometimes good, sometimes challenging but you learn from all experiences and grow from them. I have worked with many different teams over the years and I must say, I've been very lucky in that I've mostly worked with very motivated, empowering teams. The key is for every level of the team from upper management to seasonals to feel like they are an integral part of the team. Everyone is important. And I have worked with and helped build these teams. Not every work place is going to have amazing chemistry 100% of the time. But I look forward to going to work every day. It challenges me, pushes me out of my comfort zone, and I have grown professionally and personally. The benefits are amazing, they have great insurance for their full time associates. And gratis at the beginning of new campaigns really helps! The best way to sell product is to try it first!

Cons

Moving up in the company can be very difficult. From what I've seen, people really are dedicated to the brand and tend to stay for a long time, each waiting for a spot to open to move up. It's difficult to wait when you want to advance your career. It's great to see that people don't leave, but it's challenging waiting for that one coveted full-time position to open. Because the boutiques are small and personal, there are very few opportunities for full-time employment. To change the boutiques for a more commercial feel would betray the brand.

Advice to Management

I think a lot of us wish they could meet/get to know the corporate team better. Put faces to the people they converse with regularly.

6. They are an ok company to work for

Former Employee - Sales in Manchester, CT
    Former Employee - Sales in Manchester, CT

Pros

Decent pay, good values, gratis now and then

Cons

Too sales focused not enough marketing

Advice to Management

Try to retain your employee s

"Good ol boy network"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

product is great and comes from France

Cons

Lots of favoritism you get visits from someone who had the worst results in the company telling you how to deliver sales and they aren't even your boss

Advice to Management

Stop promoting your friends

8. SALES DIRECTOR

Former Employee - Sales Director in France, ID
    Former Employee - Sales Director in France, ID

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good brand, potential, good structure, management ok, salaries ok,

Cons

Independency needs to be improved

Advice to Management

trust your eployees

Sales associate for about 2.5 years.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder

Pros

Great product, that's about it. Trainings in SF were very effective. Enjoyed giving facials and hand massages to customers, so they could feel a little pampered.

Cons

I will always look back at my experience with this company as the worst I've ever had. Very unprofessional manager, who got away with everything by sucking up to the area or district manager. If you weren't her pet, then it sucked to be you. Not sure if she's still with the company, but I'm still in awe of how she was able to manage a store, when she was back stabbing and manipulating to her sales associates, with high turn over. No interaction with the stores from corporate. No possibility of promotion, though you were always told maybe. Practically ran one of the stores, as a sales associate, along with training a new manager from a near by store. Used and not appreciated for hard work repeatedly. You were to be alone in the store for hours, with no breaks as well.

Advice to Management

Hiring the right management. Actually promoting employees who are dedicated and knowledgeable about the company and product. Not leaving associates alone for hours. Corporate interacting with stores, so they involved with the successes of the company and reaching goals at the store level.

It's heyday is well passed!

I worked at L'Occitane full-time

Pros

Good discount and sometimes free products. Nice people in stores with a lot of passion. Good quality products. Good stories.

Cons

Inconsistent and non-existent career path opportunities. Total lack of interest in retaining top talent. Unreachable goals which lead to lack of bonus. Low salaries. Complete disconnect at the top.

Enter at Your Own Risk

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in New York, NY

Pros

Gratis and excellent products. Training is ok. It used to be better when you had an actual class. I wonder if it became too expensive because now it's just watch a video and written information. It's still ok though because trainers seem to be available for questions.

Cons

Challenges employees face: zero support from upper management, lip service only, they require employees to give give give and all you get back is gratis when you'd rather have ACTION. Managers are often required to manage 2 stores but only some get more pay for it. If upper management doesn't like the manager then the whole staff pays for it. They hire inexperienced managers and assistant managers and expect them to work out but part-time staff end up managing and coaching these "managers". District Managers only seem to focus on large and flagship stores then wonder why things fall apart. They also expect you to work in subpar conditions like lack of heat in winter. Every winter they act like this is something new. Give Us a Break or at least look into the situation. Ask about the turn over rate if your applying for a job. If management were as good as the products this could be A Great Pace to Work but they just don't seem to realize the people selling the product are to be valued. I'm beginning to wonder if this really stems from Ronald Geiger, the owner. This company is all talk no action. Employees working alone in stores from morning until closing. Not Safe and not healthy. Managers send the schedules to district managers and they just let it happen. If you're a product at L'occitane you're golden - if you're an employee - tough luck. It's taken years to write this - finally lost hope. Very sad.

Advice to Management

Dear Management, Both Davids - Thank you very much for the gratis. Amazing and very nice. But I'd give that up for more of your involvement at the store level. Please read the above feedback. Heat doesn't seem like too much ask for. Please don't have managers manage more than one store. There is a reason you probably haven't made these people district managers. IF you must do it then perhaps choose a manager from a store close by like Third/Madison/86 or Columbus/Broadway/Time Warner or Bleecker/Soho/Meatpacking and for the sake of each stores staff consider the time of year this is being done. L'Occitane can be great but we're losing something. When employees are under valued and moral is low, how much selling will happen? Energy may be free, the mood ladder may be a good reminder, cartoon cheerleader emails may be humorous but talk is cheap. I tried to address these things in a less public manner and directly but it falls on deaf ears. Want to sell more? Help Us Help You.

RSS Feed </> Embed