L'Occitane

L'Occitane Reviews

Updated January 22, 2015
Updated January 22, 2015
2.4

L'Occitane Directeur Exécutif, Président du Conseil d'Administration et Président Directeur Général Reinold Geiger
Reinold Geiger

Pros
  • Great products with great ingredients that work (in 21 reviews)

• Generous employee discount enabled us to purchase products for personal use (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Snooty Upper Management (especially some of the women there sheesh) (in 20 reviews)

• Lack of work life balance - taking personal or sick time is frowned upon (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

A French Company Destroyed By British Men!

Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at L'Occitane

Pros

The origin and products are of course endearing and inspiring. The past of this once great brand remains in the quality of the products.

Cons

The title says it all. Our US staff is headed by incompetent leaders that rather than develop or hire people here installed the most insidious group of underlings from the UK. This boys club functions by gossiping and character assassination while patting eachother on the back. Under current leadership there have been ... Drum roll please... a list of awkward unprofitable store openings in weird markets. The stores are hemoraging staff old and new alike because the pressure of these underperforming stores is put on the salespeople. Our annual sales goals have been consistently increased by a rate of 20% leaving team morale lower than the 1% percent annual pay raises we've been getting for the last 2 years. Reviews and hours are constantly tampered with. We have virtually no part time staff and full timers have to work max 32 hours over the span of 5 days per week. Employees are miserable and tired of working alone with the doors open and fake cameras in a work environment so hostile it makes a military gulag look like a Disney movie. If you accept an offer from this company beware that right now they just need bodies in the stores. That does not mean you won't eventually be on someone's blacklist for your personal aesthetics, your opinions and feelings, or just because. It is impossible to comp your own numbers due to unrealistic sales goals. Bad people are in power here.

Advice at this point would be silly. All of the people who once loved this brand are gone, leaving or looking to leave. This list includes VPs down to part time sales staff. You should have worked with people here as they either loved the brand or could be trained to fulfill your arbitrary requirements. L'Occitane used to be a career destination point for many of us and now it's just another stop on the train many of us would rather forget. Hopefully Reinhold will read this and take out the trash.

Great part time retail job

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time

Pros

Generous 40% off discount on high-quality products. The company makes each employee attend two training sessions at the corporate office in NYC to really understand everything about the products and how to sell them. With each new campaign (every month) you get one or two free, full size items from that campaign...which is awesome. I've learned a lot about skin care, which is nice because I've incorporated it into my own daily routine. They pay really well for a part time retail job. Plus, 95% of the time you get 8 hour shifts so you are guaranteed to get a decent amount of hours per week.

Cons

Every employee is treated as a key holder therefore everyone is treated and expected to do all the work managers and assistant managers do. My issue with this is that as a part time sales associate, I do the same amount of work/paperwork as managers/asst managers and don't make the amount of money they do. Company requires too much paperwork to be completed each opening and closing and even throughout the day. In my opinion, this should only be completed by management, but again each employee is required to do it. They are extremely strict about how you sell products. If you don't follow the "Always" with every single customer it can be an issue with your manager depending how relaxed they are.

Cut back on all the paperwork that needs to be completed every single day!

Beautiful products with a beautiful message.

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (more than an year)

Pros

L'Occitane was such a thoughtful brand with lovely meanings and stories behind their products. I really enjoyed sharing that with customers and they seemed to receive it really well. I loved how several products were "fair trade" and the company was very responsible in informing its patrons of how important that is. The management teams are very motivating and they push education over sales pitches! My assistant manager and store manager were spectacular.

Cons

The only thing I had a problem with was during visits when the regional educators were pushing us to sell, they couldn't sell a darn thing all day. I also didn't like offering strangers hand massages. It's very uncomfortable and although it sounds nice, it is VERY awkward.

Keep up education! As skincare grows throughout the brand, your associates need to know their stuff!

Backstabbing, gossip and lies.

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Westlake, OH
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Westlake, OH

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Products are wonderful, gratis are great. Store is very organized and clean.

Cons

Management is treating they employees very fairly, hiring others with criminal records, gossip are terrable, no communacation between co-workers. Wasteful spending, and cutting emloyyes hours, management never have schedule done on time, and only certain ' friends' get weekends off. This company almost destroyed my life, my reputation and no concern about it what so ever. To many friends of a friends of a friends.

Take care of your employees, help them, and a little backroung check will be a help, I was under a charge of a woman on probation of shop lifting.

Unprofessional and Unpleasant

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The hourly pay was decent.

Cons

This company is incredibly unprofessional when it comes to the workplace. I worked in a small boutique and I would have to open/close by myself. There were days where I was alone for hours. I felt unsafe because we only had fake cameras and no security.
    There is also unfair responsibility for employees depending on which store they work in. For example, at the small boutique where I was located as a part-time employee I was expected to open/close, clean, change windows, shipment, operational, and then sell. In a large or flagship store, a part-timer does not have all of those responsibilities. L'Occitane really needs to redesign how they organize their stores.
    The biggest disappointment was that after all I had given into the business as a part-timer in a small boutique, they decided to move me to a flagship store and cut my hours from 18-20 hours a week to 6 hours a week. I was incredibly upset because it was insulting and rude. Plus, no upper management even gave me a reason why they were moving me and cutting my hours. I also noticed that many other part timers were moved around and some got more hours then me. I found this to be extremely unfair treatment.
    Another problem with this company is that they do not educate their employees whatsoever on their rights. There are no safety, HR, or any sort of trainings except for product knowledge. They want their employees to feel powerless and instead play a political game to be kept on the DM's favorite list.
    Lastly, L'Occitane needs to learn that the people they hire is not be taken lightly. They hired people by posting an ad on craig's list for a job fair (you could only imagine the type of crowd that brought). I've worked with many unprofessional employees and under qualified managers. It's a shame because L'Occitane is now a place of gossip and cut throat competition between stores and it creates a horrible atmosphere and place to work.

Learn how to hire good people, keep them happy and retain them. Stop hiring incompetent managers.

Great founder and products, horrible management

I worked at L'Occitane

Pros

The salary, free products. Most of the staff is friendly and aim to please management. In lieu days for 6 day work weeks..

Cons

As a manager or associate you can be placed in any location with a days notice, you have no say. You will not get praise for doing a good job, only picked on for any faults. You cannot email upper management a question without getting a rude degrating response unless they don't respond at all, which often happens. All management know to ask one another and to never go to upper management unless you want to look like an idiot and be on the chopping block. The company doesn't have near enough employees so everyone is scrambling trying to borrow staff from one another's store. This makes employees confused and feel unappreciated.
    Communication in this company is a total mess. There are no conference calls and you get memos, emails, and other information coming at you in a thousand different ways. There are a hundred different codes and coupons and half the time the codes don't even work.
    There are also a ridiculous amount of focuses.. Things we are ment to track daily- sales, tickets, Atv, conversion, new clients, client sales, amount sold of campaign, amount sold of divine, skincare percentage, amount of rituals given, amount of a certain focus product sold, what samples we gave out, how a many ppl we have booked for a party, etc..

When your staff feels like you are on their side and want them to succeed, they will work harder and be happier.

Never wanna leave yet always wanna quit

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

The product is amazing. It is easy to sell because it works. I've often enjoyed the personal relationships I've made with coworkers.

Cons

The bonus structure is not ideal for associates. Manager turnover is high. There is a lack of clear marketing and promotion direction all the time. There is no positive reinforcement or expression of appreciation for sales associates' work. The company does not advertise; they expect sales associates to bring the customers into the store, which is problematic in that sales associates are merely part-time workers who get the bare minimum $10 an hour.

Be more positive and appreciate. Advertise; don't force this expectation on the sales associates.

Growth & Developement

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

L'Occitane was a great place to work. The product and training was exceptional and they prefer to promote from within allowing me to grow once a year for 4 years.

Cons

There is definitely a glass ceiling for income at the store level and the company doesn't pay their associates competitively based on the market. Low pay and little to no FT positions at the store level caused a ton of associate turn over. People loved to work their but the pay wasn't great and there was no security for associates making a Managers job more difficult.

Consider the staffing structure of stores for long-term stability by providing more FT positions or paying competitively based on the market.

Lousy Morale, Taking Others for Granted

I have been working at L'Occitane

Pros

Decent discount on decent products.

Cons

Read below from those who have submitted blunt, but eye-opening bad reviews, and must agree.

Everything that has been written by the previous "Thumbs Down" reviews have grains of truth scattered throughout. Lack of concern for safety, lack of appreciation for hard work and sacrifice for the sake of making sales goals, disrespect for need of personal time off, micromanagement and bullying are all painfully present for the store associates. 'Team Spirit/Prosperity' is preached enough - yet the very ones expecting this attitude, are the first to throw their own under the bus.

False promises, and flowery hyperbole are also other serious flaws, and the pay increases are horrid; witnesses have reported hours being tampered with, review scores altered to show under-performing scores for veteran employees who are experienced and have responsible reputations. Corporate is culprit where it comes to looking for every possible corner to cut in order to prevent proper pay raises from happening. 1% is about correct! HR and Payroll are notoriously unreachable.

If it weren't for the front lines CARING enough to keep business running at the stores, nobody in the corporate offices would have THEIR jobs! Switch places with the teams for even a few days just to see how harsh reality is served just to meet selfish demands.

And, the quality of some of the current new hires is low because the company pays a miser's wage. Seriously, they expect Wharton, Yale, Harvard and Stanford-type graduates to lead this company, yet brings in middle-school mentality to do so! It is no wonder morale continues to tank!

New graduates who are even considering applying - here's a strong piece of advice: do thorough research first. Otherwise, steer clear before you accept (if offered) only to re-think and regret 6 - 9 months down the line.

Don't apply... Looks aren't what they seem.

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great products are easy to sell. That's about it.

Cons

Totally hate working here! Ghetto as hell. Expected to be glamour but have to stand on the street and beg, literally. Management is terrible. All they do is gossip about their employees to eachother and never fire the bad eggs cause they cheap. Management asks you a question if they don't like your answer they will text upper management and then your days are numbers. Upper management is sneaky and big liars. They promise you will get what you want and you get the opposite everytime without fail. Can't trust anyone because everybodys lookin for hours or working with upper management to get info on people they don't like. Worst job ever!

Go back to highschool because you need to grow up!

L'Occitane Photos

L'Occitane (Photo thanks to Flickr user Simon A, Some Rights Reserved)
L'Occitane (Photo thanks to Flickr user Beat Küng, Some Rights Reserved)
L'Occitane En Provence (Photo thanks to Flickr user Barney Bishop, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo