L'Oréal Canada

L'Oréal Canada President Javier San Juan

Javier San Juan

Marketing experts in 2 years

Marketing Strategist (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsVery autonomous, and self learning job.
    good responsabilities and comfortable budget for

Consvery demanding job; long hours

Advice to Senior Managementkeep on guys doing good job

terrible

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Ontario, CA

Prosnew products, ever changing, sponsors events

Constoo much stress, too demanding, no appreciation for staff, no organization, very poorly run, have a huge turn over rate, run by men, very few females in upper management in all of LOreal, not just Canada, gets environmental awards & yet fills landfills with discarded, unused signage by the ton, should spend more on operational side rather than marketing, cut back on the millions for celebrity endorsements, profitable & yet cuts staff, so concerned with beating P&G that they have lost sight of their own business, in a sad state & declining rapidly

I have never seen a company with so many different employees going on burnout leave, ever!

Logistics (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros1) good learning opportunity.
    2) it's a well known company so it does look good on your resume, but no better or worse than any other well known company.
    3) everyone is so overworked and bitter that, ironically, it makes for good conversation and lots of good laughs with the people that you work with.

Cons1) 0 work-life balance (meaning you will be expected to work evenings, weekends, holidays, etc...)
    2) HR policy is as follows: a) hire new grads, b) pay them low salaries and work them 60 hour/week, c) they'll stick around anyway because they want the experience and they fell for the "OMG I work at L'Oreal how cool", d) once they've burned out or found normal paying or normal hour jobs elsewhere they'll leave, e) replace them with the next new grad, f) repeat. Different story with management though, I hear they invest in their managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWow, where do I begin....
    a) Hire more people! Maybe than your turnover rate won't be astronomically high! You're loosing money retraining new hires all the time anyway!
    b) Pay new grads a decent salary, I know they're easily replaceable, but they're also the backbone of your organization, so invest in your non-management employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good company to work for, challenging tasks

Demand Planner (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

Prosdiverse environement, dealing with many departments, entrepreneurship is encouraged

Consno overtime, work content is a job and a half.

Great learning experience, no work life balance.

Coordination Planner (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsIf you are motivated, smart and creative you will move up fast within the company learning very quickly and gaining responsibility just as quickly. Great place to begin you career. Keep in mind it is probably the largest group of over achievers under one roof you will ever meet.

ConsNo transparency between management and lower levels and work life balance is non-existent if you want to move up the corporate ladder quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to retain your top talent encourage work life balance and walk the walk. Don't ask for the sky all the time as you will burn your employees as they are the most dynamic and talented teams I have ever worked with.

Great opportunities for career advancement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAutonomy, responsibility, great pay, great colleagues

ConsBureaucratic, long hours, lots of presentations, tons of pressure

I really enjoyed my 5 years at L'Oreal. I learned so much and the company is a big part of who I am today

Supply Chain (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsAutonomy, Opportunities to lead teams and projects, Responsibilities

ConsHeavy workload, stressful environment, high probability of burnout

Account Manager

Key Account Manager (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsVery positive experience, felt like I was treated with respect.

ConsHad a very busy workload, could have worked 24 hours - more my expectations of myself

Advice to Senior ManagementMore attention to recognizing employees

Energetic work environment in the beginning with increasingly stagnant opportunities.

Demand Planner (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsWorked with a great team and had a very good learning experience. Good environment if you want to try many different jobs on the same level.

ConsVery political work environment. Human resources guidelines are unclear at best and only seem to improve when you say you'll be leaving. Not a lot of room to grow. Low salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more open and honest communication about future possibilities.

Above all else, a school to learn and grow

Pros-You gain great responsibility as soon as you start
    -Salary is above average
    -You develop great leadership skills
    -Have a lot of room to grow

Cons-HR can be very picky require a lot from you
    -Depending on your team, there is a lot of competition
    -The international office has a lot of power that can squash your creativity at times

Advice to Senior Management-give the opportunity that employees deserve. If they show constant interest in growing.

Worked for L'Oréal Canada? Contribute to the Community!