L'Oréal

Updated February 9, 2015
3.1

L'Oréal Président-Directeur Général Jean-Paul Agon
Jean-Paul Agon

Pros
  • Very fast-paced environment, you will NEVER find yourself bored, or not know what to do next (in 15 reviews)

• A lot of responsibility early on (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Intern may experience some pressure and difficulties to manage work-life balance (in 51 reviews)

• Too many useless and time-wasting tasks - long hours - snob managers (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

29 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Exceptional environment to develop your skills and meet your potential

I have been working at L'Oréal full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Responsibility; from your first week there shall be a considerable amount of responsibility handed to you, allowing an individual to make a significant difference within the business from an early stage
    -Atmosphere; the work atmosphere in the office is warm and lively, everyone in the office are very approachable and more than happy to help
    -Challenges; if you want to take on a new and exciting challenge, teams are very open to giving you project opportunities that shall help you develop in the direction you are interested in
    -never the same; every day is different in the office, when you walk into the office, you can predict about 30% of your day, the rest is often new and exciting challenges that will ensure you are never bored

Cons

-Long hours; you will often have to work long hours. This can be a positive or a negative, as if you enjoy your job then there are always new and orginal tasks to be done. However, if you are not accustomed to longer hours, then I can imagine it being an inconvenience.

-Provide more training courses to interns.

Management Trainee - An exciting and inspring place to begin your career.

Current Employee - Management Trainee (Graduate) in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management Trainee (Graduate) in London, England (UK)

I have been working at L'Oréal full-time (less than a year)

Pros

1.) Responsibiliy - whether it be doing analysis for crucial meetings, or managing my own projects, the level of discretion given to even junior levels is impressive. I have found myself creating assets for pivotal internal/external meetings, and also managing several of my own projects.

2.) Work-environment - as long as you are willing to work hard, it is a very rewarding environment to work. It is very much work hard / play hard and this has helped anchor my lifestyle to being energetic. The people are extremely friendly and welcoming. An environement that really is design to make new employees thrive.

3.) Career progression - The fast moving environment transcends to career movement, which means that your career can be boosted very quickly. It also provides many opportunities to begin your career abroad or in a development role.

4.) Variety - There are so many different roles/jobs/people/benefits that it isn't possible to get bored. I have been working for over half a year, and I haven't looked at the clock once!

Cons

1.) I wouldn't call it a con but you must be willing to work hard - it is not an einvorment that is friendly to people who aren't willing to put in their fair share.

Bo-ring

Former Employee - Assistant Marketing Controller in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Marketing Controller in London, England (UK)

I worked at L'Oréal

Pros

The free/discounted products, the working hours, the canteen, the summer working hours, some of the social events

Cons

Applicable to the finance department: Very top-down driven, hard to get involved in stuff outside your tasks, you cannot change the way things are done

Listen to employees

Very French

I have been working at L'Oréal

Pros

People, intensity, progression, complexity, challenge

Cons

Work life balance, pay, transparency, bureaucracy

Great place to work. Improving a lot.

Former Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)

I worked at L'Oréal (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced, passionate people, entrepreneurial. Not bureaucratic.

Great products and brands. Great product allocation.

Flexible hours (new program) allows you to manage work/Life balance.

Lot of responsibility early on.

I have seen a massive amount of positive change in the last two years. New UK MD very approachable and making lots of changes and improving the organization and culture.

New CMO organisation can help changes in marketing.

Cons

Meetings culture. Disorganised meetings.

Repetitive reports. Poor IT systems.

Pressure, but senior management improving on this.

Visits from international French senior managers unproductive and at times a waste of time.

Too many interns. Need more headcount.

Pay improved but is only OK.

Keep improving the culture and management systems but invest more in people (more people, better pay).

Jan 26, 2015Employer Branding Manager

First of all, thank you! Your feedback show us that we're on the right track and investing time and money in the right areas to continuously improve ourselves. We recognize that we are not a ... More

You'll either love it or hate it.

Current Employee - Senior Digital Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Digital Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at L'Oréal full-time

Pros

Very few processes, very talented people, agile working scheme

Cons

Very few processes, bad work life balance, unrealistic demands from senior management

We say we are consumer centric but much of what we do currently is not. People are too focused on their own career progression by delivering one or two great projects and not focused enough on doing a good job overall. People are often promoted too quickly and so there is often a skills gap at senior management level.

Great fun, insightful and exciting

Former Employee - Supply Chain Summer Intern in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Summer Intern in London, England (UK)

I worked at L'Oréal full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working at L'Oreal can be really enjoyable. The people are generally really outgoing and fun. You can get exposure to life at a top firm with a diverse range of products and processes. The staff shop is also a real bonus!

Cons

The culture can be somewhat chaotic and unstructured which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but takes time to get used to and learn what's going on (not really any sufficient training materials). The pay is also not great for interns (especially given the cost of living in London!).

Jan 27, 2015Employer Branding Manager

We're happy to hear your feedback and that your internship with us was such an enjoyable experience. We hear time and time again from employees around the world that its the people who work here ... More

False hopes and promises

Current Employee - Graduate
    Current Employee - Graduate

I have been working at L'Oréal

Pros

good company culture, however this is dependent on your team

Cons

graduate programme is a sham with no clear reasoning as to what departments you are placed within. don't bother wasting your time applying for the graduate scheme here like i did! definitely would have taken up the other offers i had at the time. HR are unreasonable and unskilled - appalling.

stop focusing on the 'favourites' and actually take care of your employees. you may be able to keep someone on for longer than 2 years this way!

Logistics internship

Former Intern - Logistics in London, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Logistics in London, England (UK)

I worked at L'Oréal as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere around the place and there's lots of scope to move around the various brands. Also cafe upstairs, lots of discounted products and young staff.

Cons

Salaries were lower than typical for technically minded staff, long hours expected at certain times of the month and can be perception of second class citizen compared to marketing etc.

Fast-track careers, very dynamic, but decisions are often short-term with little Global vision

I have been working at L'Oréal

Pros

Fantastic people, really fun and brilliant, great socialising. Good people get rewarded and fast-tracked. Glamorous job, people will always want to talk about it. Opportunities for international careers.

Cons

Can be chaotic. Atmosphere in the countries is very good but leadership can be very French and emotional. Blaming people rather than helping with answers.

Jan 26, 2015Employer Branding Manager

Thanks for your review - We're especially thrilled that you appreciate your amazing, talented coworkers -- we try our best to recruit the top talent around the world to meet our business objectives ... More