L & J Bay Area Holdings

Great Part Time Job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at L & J Bay Area Holdings

Pros

I have been working at L&J for a year now and I am so grateful for this job. The pay is great (base pay of $13.50/hour) and you get opportunities for bonuses when you get surveys also. You get to play games when you get surveys as well. You have the flexibility to make your own schedule every week, so it really is a great job for college students that are involved in a lot of different activities. The shifts are about 4 hours long, and you get a 15 minute break in the middle, where they also give you food, coffee, and candy as well. The managers do whatever they can to keep you motivated throughout the shift because the job is a challenge.

Cons

I have noticed that many people end up not staying at the job because they are surprised when it is actual work. You have to show up everyday positive, confident and outgoing attitude or else you won't get surveys. I only really get people yelling at me on the phone about once a week. If you are nice and positive towards them, they will be nice in return. It is a difficult job, but if you are a person that can speak confidently then the pros definitely outweigh cons. If you reach out to management and ask for help when you are struggling, they are more than willing to help.

It really helps when we are active throughout the shift, it helps wake people. Maybe coming up with other activities to do while we are on calls would be beneficial.

Great P/T Job

Current Employee - L&J Holdings in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - L&J Holdings in Tampa, FL

I have been working at L & J Bay Area Holdings part-time (less than an year)

Pros

>Base salary is $13.50/hr (enough said)
    >Shifts are ONLY 4-4.5 hours long (I've heard people complain about that being too long...stop it)
    >You get daily and weekly bonuses with mini games to lighten the mood
    >If you meet or go above your weekly average your pay increases up to $15-$17/hr (seriously)
    >You make your own schedule every week, so you're in control...not your job
    >Paid 10 min break (most jobs don't even give you a break for working only 4 hours)
    >Snacks and drinks are provided daily during breaks (on Friday's we sometimes get Einstein's Bagels or better)
    >Close to the USF campus
    >Music is played throughout the shift so you don't go crazy from the room full of voices all repeating the same thing
    >Attire is business casual (however casual attire is being more honest)
    >If you aren't producing surveys, options are ALWAYS suggested to help you (change name, change tone, change wording...to an extent...of the script given, work a different shift...day/night)
    >Basically if you're nice to others, the managers and other employees are nice to you
    >Compared to other P/T jobs no other pays THIS much, offers multiple ways to earn bonuses, provides free food, AND allows you to create your own schedule. I can definitely bypass the rude people on the phone for these opportunities :)

Cons

>Boring...reading the same script hundreds of times during a shift gets repetitive
    >I wish there was a way to update our files so that we don't call a person that died 10+ years ago or hasn't worked with that business for 20+ years. I can understand if it was within the year but double digit years is ridiculous.
    >Being part time, no benefits are offered or room for growth. You're either on the phone or a manager. It makes sense, but is disappointing.
    >I wish we had swivel chairs for the people who can't sit still lol
    >One thing that bothers me about this position and is the reason for applying for other full time jobs is that you could say the script WORD for WORD, sound pleasant, and just be perfect....and you can still walk out with 0 or 1 survey. Sometimes you find someone who completes the whole survey...then doesn't make enough money (automatic delete) or sometimes the person REALLY wants to get more information...but is currently driving or on another call (automatic redial). On the other side you could walk out with 5 surveys....every day is different. I would like a job that I can do what I'm supposed to and the results will always show. Sounds cheesey but oh well :) like I said before you can definitely bypass the rude people on the phone for these opportunities if you're looking for a good P/T job :) Trust me, life in general is much harder then this job.

>I would advise to management...if you've decided to fire an employee I would suggest not waiting until they drive and arrive to work ready to begin the shift to only tell them, "Hey by the way you can go home." Maybe a phone call prior to the shift, or fire the person at the end of their last shift (since the manager knows when that is and you don't)

Great part-time job

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Temple Terrace, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Temple Terrace, FL

I worked at L & J Bay Area Holdings part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved working at L&J! I worked there while in college, but have since graduated and found a full time job. It was by far the best and easiest job I had while in school. I am so grateful I had the opportunity to work around my school schedule while making a decent paycheck. Pros would be flexible scheduling (they actually let you make your own schedule), good pay and bonuses, and paid breaks.

Cons

I can't really say too many bad things about it. It's boring, and sometimes you get rude people on the phone. You do have to get a certain number of surveys, which can be stressful, but the managers are pretty helpful and will coach you.

Come up with more ways to make the job fun and interesting. Before I left they were thinking about putting TVs in the office - definitely do that!

Would Not Recommend Unless Desperate

Former Employee - Cold Caller in Temple Terrace, FL
    Former Employee - Cold Caller in Temple Terrace, FL

I worked at L & J Bay Area Holdings part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's fun in the beginning when they are nice to you.
    Play fun games for prizes when you get surveys
    Good snack food to munch on during break
    Flexible schedule
    Hourly wages are nice, over $10

Cons

Only allowed one 15 minute break
    Constant pressure to meet quota
    Pressure you about losing your job when you don't make required number of surveys
    You make hundreds of calls during a shift to people who don't want to be called and they're rude
    Extremely discouraging environment if you don't make the required amount of surveys
    Each survey results in further contact of the participant, usually unwanted

I cannot give sufficient advice besides that this type of company should not exist.

Absolute crap.

Former Employee - Telecommunications in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Telecommunications in Tampa, FL

I worked at L & J Bay Area Holdings part-time (less than an year)

Pros

None. Lol any promises made in the beginning to entice you are lies.

Cons

First off they're listed google address is a business down the street, as well as their listed telephone number and I can assure you that any positive reviews on here were written by the shady supervisors. They try to mask what the job really is with juvenile games, prizes, and monopoly money. Your REAL job is to aggravate the ever loving crap out of people everyday to obtain very personal information that is no business' business. Half of the time your connected to a wrong number or the poor family of a person that's been deceased for over ten years. L&J clearly does not respect the "Do Not Call" list and their employees are on the receiving end of several THREATS and complaints DAILY. You have to stick to a script so when asked basic questions such as your purpose for the call you are NOT ALLOWED to explain the reasoning UNLESS it's the person listed in the prompted script, which even then you can ONLY tell them what the script says. Overall this business is shady and they will screw you over on your last check. I didn't obtain enough surveys on a daily basis, so not only were my hours cut to 12 hours a week "to make a better average" I was docked to below starting salary on my final check, which was LESS THAN HALF of what they are SUPPOSED to pay you BEFORE BONUSES. Oh, and you can only pick up your check at THEIR CONVENIENCE. Management is EXTREMELY RUDE when you call about any inquiries related to picking up your hard earned money. I can't even fit all of the company's disappointments and faults in this box. So long story short, don't waste your time here. You have a better chance of getting by, by asking "Do you want fries with that?" than answering calls using a SCRIPTED NAME (YOU CAN'T EVEN USE YOUR REAL NAME). Just ask Tina or Lisa.
    Sincerely,
    Every girl that's ever worked there.

Give up and shut down this horrible lie of a business.

Not so good.

Former Employee - Telemarketer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Telemarketer in Tampa, FL

I worked at L & J Bay Area Holdings part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is reasonably high at $10/hr.

Cons

Very results oriented but there's not much you can do to improve results. If you have a bad week or two, getting bad people on the phone, they will can you.

Lighten up on the strict results deadlines.

Great opportunity for students

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at L & J Bay Area Holdings part-time (less than an year)

Pros

A student really can't ask for much more out of a job. The pay outranks any retail or food job around. The scheduling is very flexible. I actually get to make my own schedule, working as little or as much as I want. The work itself is also very straightforward and simple. We even get free snacks at work.

Cons

The work itself can be boring, but our supervisors do a pretty good job of making it fun and trying to motivate us.

It was mind numbing and physically draining.

I worked at L & J Bay Area Holdings

Pros

They paid a decent salary with good incentives to work harder but it was rarely worth all the work you had to put in.

Cons

Calling people on the phone every day for hours is exhausting. People are jerks and can't fathom why a struggling student would take such a job. Everyone's trying to make money, thats all.