LA Fitness

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Martin Long

Pros
  • Free gym membership, building relationships with members (so you can be offered another job in the future)(in 95 reviews)

• The biggest pro is that you get a free gym membership(in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours to work that usually range from 9am-9/10pm at night and usually Monday-Saturday(in 17 reviews)

• Sales guys are too overbearing, around minimum wage, hours aren't the same every week(in 14 reviews)

Lacking Tools to Take Advantage of Opportunities

Membership Sales Counselor (Former Employee) Monroeville, PA

ProsThe sales team usually worked together to achieve monthly goals, and rules were established so that leads were never intentionally stolen. If you put up good numbers, you were acknowledged and I observed at least a handful of promotions in response to good performance.

ConsIt was difficult to generate leads and market the club under current restrictions. We couldn't reciprocate marketing with other businesses. Additionally, it would be helpful to give all counselors business email addresses and internet access to keep in better contact with leads.

One of the best

Assistant Training Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe management helps in everything you need, it's a great career opportunity

ConsThey couldn't obtain a good work visa

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Management Team is great there! Opened and anytime ready to listen!

Great company

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsReally good company to start sales career.
    Learn the basics and also a lot of tools to learn from

ConsThe pay is not that good if your not selling enough memberships.
    Commission or draw.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have not spent too much time here, but I have noticed a lot.

Front Desk Operations (Current Employee)

ProsFree membership, don't have to dress up, friendly environment, flexible scheduling

ConsZERO training, cold call customers, ONLY focused on making commissions and sales and updating peoples credit cards. The focus is not on good customer service, customers do not get greeted because of constant calling of people.

Advice to Senior ManagementName tags should be considered along with training.

started great and became a nightmare. 3-4 years ago the CEO took over the personal training and has ran it into the grou

Personal Training Director (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosfree membership and cool people

Conshours, lack of pay, constant change in pay, rules and regs, upper mgmt. is never on same page

Advice to Senior Managementhave some humanity. if a person is sick, they are sick. if a person wants to go on vaction, them let them. why work 6 days week....more people would want to work there if hours and more free time were available

Great job if you want a free gym membership, but corporate does not care about its emloyees.

Front Desk Operations (Former Employee)

Pros-Gym Membership
    -Management can be friendly, but corporate is not.

Cons-No raises
    -No full time
    -Little upward mobility

They want Robots not People

Product Manager (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsIf you need a job and are junior in your experience, this is a great training ground to work. Junior skilled people who can follow orders and can only think in the box are a perfect fit here.

ConsIf you are a strong contributor, highly intelligent and experienced and have great, innovative ideas - this is not the place to work. They want automatons that can follow orders. Think The Marines in a workplace. Also most of the managers or ill-trained and ill-experienced at managing people and it's a big HR mess.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in better touch with your employees, trust your management (those that are good) and get your heads out of where the sun don't shine. You don't know it all. Hiring good people that surround you is how you can look good.

Good for trainers new to the industry

Personal Trainer (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsFree gym membership and flexibility of schedule

ConsLow pay and client commitment(Only got paid when client showed up)

Advice to Senior ManagementActually know what you're doing. Most managers aren't even certified trainer but they sell personal training.

No clue how they made it as big as they have

Personal Training Director (Former Employee)

Prosfree membership, opportunity to meet a ton of people, fast track management

ConsToo much fast track management (which they often promote people before they are ready to handle a larger role), multiple conference calls that waste 2-3 hrs a day yet they complain about "maximizing time", typical corporate sales pitch, Personal Training prices are very out of control, Hire unqualified trainers quite frequently, zero customer service skills, will move you from club to club to help avoid you getting "too comfortable" (they do this to avoid people becoming too friendly with members so they dont offer discounts, free services...to members the employees get to know well, NO FACIAL HAIR even if well kept (they seriously think theyre the NY Yankees of fitness clubs), little to no leadership from the top on down, all hype and no show (management would always tell this is going to happen or that is gonna change here and nothing ever did as long as the club is profitable)...I could clearly go on and on for days

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're not going to listen why waste my time

Former General Manager at LA Fitness (multiple locations)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you are single, need a job to get you by and want to meet people. As a sales person, you will also learn great sales skills which you can take with you else where.

ConsYou are a number. Most of the locations are a revolving door. Only few people can make it long term and you will have no work life balance. As you move up the ladder you will work more and more hours (I used to work 70+ hours) and had no life outside of work.
    Also, the sales goals were very arbitrary. You are at the mercy of your Super Regional VP to set your club goals which was usually a guess on their part until they figured out the market.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to change the culture where there is balance between hitting the numbers and allowing your Sales Managers, General Managers and District Managers to have a life outside of LAF

Worked for LA Fitness? Contribute to the Community!