LA Fitness Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014
2.2

Louis Welch

Pros
  • Free gym membership, free workout advice from coworkers (in 129 reviews)

• Best reason to work at la fitness is the free gym membership and the people you meet (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • Working front desk they do accept a lot from you it's just a gym & I'm working minimum wage (in 27 reviews)

• Pay is WAY to low for all the responsibilities the front desk staff has (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

La fitness was a fun place to work with unrealistic sales goals.

Former Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at LA Fitness full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best reason to work at la fitness is the free gym membership and the people you meet.

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals, unprofessional management

Be honest

Great company, great members.

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Manassas, VA

I have been working at LA Fitness part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get to meet some cool members.
    Free membership.
    Awesome job!

Cons

nothing, I loved working there.

Good place to work on membership side

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at LA Fitness

Pros

Competition..teaches you to earn your money...possibilities are endless

Cons

High pressure, not completely consistent

Good TEMPORARY JOB- they want careers, don't fall for it

Current Employee - Personal Training Counselor in Playa Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Training Counselor in Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at LA Fitness full-time (less than an year)

Pros

its a fun environment to work in if you like being at the gym. Most of your co workers will be fairly young and similar to you which makes getting through the day a lot easier

Cons

There is little to zero job flexibility. Tryign to get any sort of time off is the biggest pain. You don't get any commission until you make 10,000 in a pay period for the company. After you make $10,001 you only get $1 of commission then start over next period

Make schedules more flexible. Allow counselors to set their own schedule to ac retain degree

I was apart of the operations staff.

Current Employee - Front Desk Operations in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at LA Fitness part-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. I had a set schedule.
    2. Very laid back.
    3. Free membership.

Cons

1. My operations manager made it unbearable to work there.
    2. My operations manager ALWAYS showed up late and clocked in for hours that she didn't work.
    3. My operations manager was very unprofessional.
    4. You stay at minimum wage. No raises.

Keep tabs on the operations managers clock-ins. Also try and take into consideration that employees should be able to get raises if they perform well at their job and if they have been there for over a year.

Sales pitch of an interview

Former Employee - Assistant FItness Manager in Grand Prairie, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant FItness Manager in Grand Prairie, TX

I worked at LA Fitness full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Potential for growth, meet lots of people, possibility to make money, must be goal oriented and not mind a younger boss

Cons

Hours, unpaid training during what was supposed to be a lunch break, had people randomly switch out during training, no free time

former trainer

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Chicago, IL

I worked at LA Fitness part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Setting your own hours. Personalize your training schedule for clients

Cons

horrible pay, lack of regular hours, its more about selling training packages than actually training clients. management seemed to fire and bring in a new personal training director every month.

Operations staff

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Beaverton, OR

I worked at LA Fitness full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-As management, benefits and vacation were offered
    -Free membership
    -Pay scale included hourly plus commission pay out, instead of one or the other
    -Company offered positive values and high job retention on the operations side
    -M-F schedule provided fair work-life balance
    -Great members for the most part

Cons

-No 401k or investment opportunities
    -Ops Managers are paid only a few dollars above minimum wage, no raises unless you make a promotion (because of the commission structure)
    -Upward mobility is given based on favoritism, not merit of actual performance
    -Employees were encouraged to not work overtime, but if OT was required it was looked down upon
    -No written warnings when it came to disciplining staff, and little to no follow through when disciplinary action was required.
    -The stress level is extremely high on the customer service aspect, as well as demand of actual job functions.
    -Benefits, paid vacation only offered to Operations Management, no other full time staff has an opportunity in the ops department.
    -Front desk hours and support is based on production and overall success of the club. This is not taken into consideration with busier clubs, versus slower clubs. All goals and expectations are set exactly the same for each club. Added support is unlikely when asked of corporate level management and scrutinized if production is not being met as a result.
    -Clubs are ran with 3 managers, with unequal job requirements per department. Operations managers are expected to run 3 sub departments (kids club, janitorial, and front desk operations, including facilities), while the "general manager" (who shouldn't even be classified as such based on actual lack of power given to the position) runs only sales, and the personal training director only runs pt sales and trainers.

I suggest that the "heads of state" be re-examined and job duties be more equally distributed. Over the 4 years that I worked as an OM, I was promised many times that I would have advancement opportunities, with very little follow through. I blame this partially because there is such a high expectation put on production versus customer service and there were many times I felt obligated to abandon core company values to meet those needs as to not lose my job.
     I also suggest that you seriously review the district management structure and inquire as to the real reasons for turnover. Once my district was re-distributed to someone who I felt was entirely incapable and altogether unpleasant to work with, I no longer enjoyed and felt valued by this company.
    A better employee relationship system (other than monetary benefit with commission structure) should be offered to full time-non management employees on the operations side. This includes benefits and vacation pay. I feel that if better employee relations were practiced, there would be less unhappiness and a considerably less amount of turn over.

Hard Work

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist
    Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist

I have been working at LA Fitness as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good experience, have to be creative, have to be dedicated

Cons

company is not always about customers, numbers are what is important to them. Not a great customer service system. Bad hours. High turn over.

Make this company more about customer service and less about selling millions of memberships.

It was not the most enjoyable company to work for

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at LA Fitness full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule as a trainer
    DOn't have to sell training

Cons

Trainers make very little
    Training Directors sell training and make all the commission
    No benefits

Actually care about your employees not just the "numbers"