LA Quinta

Updated January 23, 2015
3.3

LA Quinta President and CEO Wayne B. Goldberg
Wayne B. Goldberg

Pros
  • Fun and customer-focused corporate team and balanced family-oriented culture (in 4 reviews)

• General Manager and Owner that both are good people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Since the company is cloud based and most services are outsourced, there is little opportunity for advancement (in 6 reviews)

• Front desk expected to do everything after 4pm (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

La Quinta

I have been working at LA Quinta

Pros

A great company to work for that really values their employees. Culture is about having fun and working hard.

Cons

No cons-best hotel company I've ever worked for.

Front Desk Agent Review

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in San Antonio, TX

I worked at LA Quinta full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for a franchise location, so obviously each franchise is different. I really enjoyed working for my GM, so that kept me there for quite a while. Also, as a college student, I was able to do my homework and study on slow nights. Through this job, I was able to enhance my customer service skills on the telephone and in person. It depends on the ownership, but I was allowed a lot of freedom and responsibility, which I really enjoyed.

Cons

The ownership for my particular franchise was very unorganized. For very low pay, I was completely responsible for day to day operations. Although I gained a lot of experience, the compensation was far from justified. The owner also did not like to spend money on upgrades, making our jobs a little more difficult because things would break down and we would have to find ways to work around it. No paid vacations, no paid time off, and no holiday pay.

Global Sales Manager

I worked at LA Quinta

Pros

Work schedule flexibility and opportunity to learn as much about the hotel industry as you desire

Cons

There are not too many cons overall a positive place if you choose to make it positive

Company in Transition

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager

I have been working at LA Quinta

Pros

Great pay
    Best resources in the industry
    Executive team lives the core values
    Really sharp managers and regionals

Cons

Unrealistic expenses controls
    Declining customer service scores each year as quality degrades in favor of the bottom line
    Short term decision making

Focus on quality and strengthening service levels -- less on short term gains. Balance results with potential for results. Show care for your employees by giving them the labor standards that allow for life-work balance and a quality stay.

Corporate office in Irving Texas has the best people you would ever want to meet!

I have been working at LA Quinta

Pros

It's a stepping stone to get the experience before moving up to another brand.

Cons

Working as a team means gossiping as a team on a daily basis.

Front Desk Clerk

Current Employee - Front Desk Service Representative in La Palma, CA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Service Representative in La Palma, CA

I have been working at LA Quinta part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Family-oriented environment with wonderful people. I worked here during my transition from high school to college. The co-workers really helped you feel at ease and looked out for one another.

Cons

Not luxury accommodations and so the benefit of staying at other La Qunita's around the United States did not wow anyone. The pay rate could be improved.

Company was a fun place to work.

Former Employee - General Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at LA Quinta full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked for the company starting as a Front Desk Clerk and leaving as a General Manager. If you are willing to up and relocate to different cities and states there is much opportunity for professional growth. Company conferences were awesome. Upper level management very personable and make the effort to actually spend time meeting hotel level team members. Free night stays at all locations. Good benefits package and 401k.

Cons

Difficult to truly relax when not at hotel. Most locations only have 1 salaried manager whether the hotel has 75 rooms or 150 rooms. So, there is an increased chance you have to completed drop what you are doing if there is an emergency. Additionally, because you typically do not have an AGM, when you do go on vacation you have a ridiculous amount of administrative work to catch up on upon return. Customer review/survey module makes no sense the way it is structured. A guest can scale your site from 1-10 but the company states anything below a 7 is considered a 0 which affects your potential bonus. Company mostly only invests in the nicer hotels in regards to renovations and upgrades; does not seem to care much about the condition of the older "original grand-daddies" in the company because they are cash cows with less overhead.

Make realistic expectations based upon hotel location, trend and condition. Invest in all of your properties so there is consistency among the locations. It makes it difficult to achieve customer service/cleanliness (in regards to case goods in rooms and capex items) when a guest goes from a newer LQ Inns & Suites location to an older hotel. The older hotels suffer greatly in terms of some goals because of this.

I found the corporate office to be one of the best places I've ever worked.

Former Employee - Corporate IT in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Corporate IT in Irving, TX

I worked at LA Quinta full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The leadership of the company is very easy to access and they actually listen to your suggestions/comments. When talking work /life balance, they actually practice what they preach. I was in a position where I would have to sometimes take time off at a moments notice and never had a problem working things out with management.

Cons

The biggest challenge I found is that there is too much that is not yet automated which caused many hours of extra work to meet some deadlines. Since the company is cloud based and most services are outsourced, there is little opportunity for advancement. They recently did an IPO which I think was not in the best interest of the employees. Now that they are public, many of the motivational activities they did will slowly go the way of the dinosaur. I have seen this before when a private or small company changes to where they have outside stakeholders (shareholders) who are more interested in profit than employee attitude.

Now that you are a 'big' company with shareholders to worry about, please do not do as most companies do and lose the small company attitude that I saw with the employees. Also, during your reorganization, instead of bringing in outsiders to management position, reward the employees you have that have earned those positions thru their hard work and dedication.

Front desk

I worked at LA Quinta

Pros

Was a very good customer service experience. I definitely have more patience for all customer service employees after having this job. Especially anything to do with computers.

Cons

It was not a very safe environment. The front desk had things stolen all the time, and as a receptionist, I had to deal with homeless people, and a few other scary situations throughout the time working there.
    They also didn't keep the hotel up, so it often had many problems and multiple complaints from the guests which got old very quickly.
    There was also very little room to grow in this company. Only two upper level jobs within the hotel.

Awful

Current Employee - Front Desk Service Representative in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Service Representative in Hayward, CA

I have been working at LA Quinta full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free water and cookies. Location next to a Starbucks

Cons

Understaffed, no proper training at all

Train new employees correctly for at least a month