LA Quinta Reviews

Updated September 26, 2014
3.1

LA Quinta President and CEO Wayne B. Goldberg
Wayne B. Goldberg

Pros
  • Fun and customer-focused corporate team and balanced family-oriented culture (in 3 reviews)

• There are some great people that work for this company (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Since the company is cloud based and most services are outsourced, there is little opportunity for advancement (in 6 reviews)

• Front desk expected to do everything after 4pm (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

I found the corporate office to be one of the best places I've ever worked.

Former Employee - Corporate IT in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Corporate IT in Irving, TX

I worked at LA Quinta full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The leadership of the company is very easy to access and they actually listen to your suggestions/comments. When talking work /life balance, they actually practice what they preach. I was in a position where I would have to sometimes take time off at a moments notice and never had a problem working things out with management.

Cons

The biggest challenge I found is that there is too much that is not yet automated which caused many hours of extra work to meet some deadlines. Since the company is cloud based and most services are outsourced, there is little opportunity for advancement. They recently did an IPO which I think was not in the best interest of the employees. Now that they are public, many of the motivational activities they did will slowly go the way of the dinosaur. I have seen this before when a private or small company changes to where they have outside stakeholders (shareholders) who are more interested in profit than employee attitude.

Now that you are a 'big' company with shareholders to worry about, please do not do as most companies do and lose the small company attitude that I saw with the employees. Also, during your reorganization, instead of bringing in outsiders to management position, reward the employees you have that have earned those positions thru their hard work and dedication.

Front desk

I worked at LA Quinta

Pros

Was a very good customer service experience. I definitely have more patience for all customer service employees after having this job. Especially anything to do with computers.

Cons

It was not a very safe environment. The front desk had things stolen all the time, and as a receptionist, I had to deal with homeless people, and a few other scary situations throughout the time working there.
    They also didn't keep the hotel up, so it often had many problems and multiple complaints from the guests which got old very quickly.
    There was also very little room to grow in this company. Only two upper level jobs within the hotel.

Awful

Current Employee - Front Desk Service Representative in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Service Representative in Hayward, CA

I have been working at LA Quinta full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free water and cookies. Location next to a Starbucks

Cons

Understaffed, no proper training at all

Train new employees correctly for at least a month

"Learn as you go" job

Current Employee - Front Desk Service Representative in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Front Desk Service Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at LA Quinta full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice co-workers, when you see them 5 mins during shift change.

Cons

GM doesn't care about anyone but himself. No work-life balance. Not flexible with schedules. Understaffed. Manager doesn't care that they clean the very minimum. Front desk expected to do everything after 4pm. No real training for front desk. You have to learn everything as you go and don't bother asking the manager because he just gets upset like you should already know everything after the first week.

Care more about your employees. Make sure you have adequate staff. Offer bonuses and incentives and pay increases. Make the employees feel valued. Put the money into the buildings. That's the biggest part that makes the customers return.

Great place to start.

Current Employee - Front Desk Service Representative in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Service Representative in Miami, FL

I have been working at LA Quinta

Pros

Great atmosphere, good for starting and gaining experience in hospitality, you learn many needed hotel procedures and software with ease.

Cons

May become stressfull at times, pay isnt all that great with no experience. When busy very difficult to take a break.

No advice to management.

Great property, bad management

Former Employee - Front Desk Service Representative in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Service Representative in San Jose, CA

I worked at LA Quinta full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The hotel was recently renovated and all the rooms are very nice. The room rates are high and the hotel sells out at least one night a week. The people I worked with were great, the general manager was great, and I generally enjoyed the job itself. I learned a lot about the hospitality industry, and I appreciated how much my co-workers taught me about various aspects of hotel management. That ALONE is the only thing I can say was beneficial for me.

Cons

The owners are horrible. They pay their employees minimum wage with no room for growth, while they pocket all the revenue. I worked at this company for over a year and was only offered a raise after I asked: .50 cents. Also in the one year that I worked there, they went through FIVE DIFFERENT GENERAL MANAGERS. That's a bad sign.
     They do not appreciate the employees, and the hard work they put in here. After getting the same job at a different hotel and getting offered almost double what I was making here, I realized how much I was taken for granted at this property. They also had employees on 24HR surveillance and would often pull up the feed from the homes, call us and reprimand us for not standing up straight or checking our cell phones. Clearly no trust there.

Also: SEVERELY understaffed - probably because no one wants to work at a place and make the same amount of money that fast food employees make. I often worked 8 hour shifts completely by myself. Going to the bathroom and leaving the desk completely unattended was always super fun. As a front desk agent, I also served as housekeeper, maintenance, and manager during several shifts... for minimum wage...

I wouldn't even suggest working at this company to my worst enemy. FUN FACT! They don't give their employees a lunch break. So you get to stand for 8 hours straight. Eat a big meal before your shift, I guess!

Show the employees that you actually value them. Turnover is bad, and you wonder why? Treat your employees well and maybe they'll actually stick around. The rooms are so nice, and the rates are so high. You can afford to pay the people that work so hard to sell your rooms while you sit at home watching recorded tapes of them to make sure they're doing their jobs correctly.

Great company, needs to invest more in their employees.

I worked at LA Quinta

Pros

The owners are very nice, kind, and give bonuses.

Cons

Late hours, no security for front desk agents.

Invest in your employees and provide your hotel with security both for the guests and the employees.

excellent learn a lot

Current Employee - Front Office Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Front Office Supervisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at LA Quinta full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

a lot of opportunity, to grow and advance my career

Cons

approving my skills to advance

had good experiences

La Quinta Employee

Current Employee - House Keeping in Saint George, UT
    Current Employee - House Keeping in Saint George, UT

I have been working at LA Quinta full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of different positions available. Nice people to work with and with working in a hotel, you get to meet a lot of different people.

Cons

Not a lot of advancement opportunities.

Very Poor Management! Stressful! RVP's are negative and rude hostile work environment!

I have been working at LA Quinta

Pros

The staff, guests, Manager at hotel level. Pride in doing your best.

Cons

Horrible restrictions on housekeepers
    Keep adding useless training programs they call "Belts" all employees think it a joke. Corp. Run hotels are horrible. RVP's are very negative I'm surprised upper Mgmt is still in place. I would star clear of La Quinta they preach core values but it's a lie at property level! Mgmt keeps cutting labor but keeps adding more work on all employees!

Replace RVP's and get rid of minutes per room policy . yes they actually yell if you go over your minutes. Get rid of BELTS program! It was created by males who think karate is cute! You pay close to minium wage and keep adding stupid programs every month! Very sad!