LA Quinta

Updated February 25, 2015
3.3

LA Quinta President and CEO Wayne B. Goldberg
Wayne B. Goldberg

Pros
  • Fun and customer-focused corporate team and balanced family-oriented culture (in 4 reviews)

• General Manager and Owner that both are good people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Since the company is cloud based and most services are outsourced, there is little opportunity for advancement (in 6 reviews)

• Front desk expected to do everything after 4pm (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great intro to Hospitality

Former Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Casper, WY
    Former Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Casper, WY

I worked at LA Quinta part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great for entering and familiarizing yourself with hospitality. Being in a state with a major highway, we saw a lot of people and a wide variety at that. The one I worked at was a franchise, so I can truly only speak for the hotels in Wyoming and Colorado when I say the management was incredibly caring about my coworkers and I when we had family emergencies or school trips (High school and college alike). There was a bit of room within the hotel staff for growth, there weren't too many higher positions to move into, but my manager was willing to recommend transfers for anyone. Coworkers and GM were always in contact.

Cons

Again, not much room for growth and it takes a while before you're available for a raise of any sort. Some coworkers were incredibly difficult to work with, always depends on where you apply. You tend to see the worst in a lot of people and they always expect you to be able to work the magic when, like many other places, you can only do so much.

Compensation is likely something to work on as well as the work-life balance. I was working a lot for part-time and not given a chance to move into full time.

My experience working at La Quinta is learning the routine of the hotel industry.

Current Employee - Housekeeping in Jessup, MD
    Current Employee - Housekeeping in Jessup, MD

I have been working at LA Quinta

Pros

La Quinta is a business hotel. Most of out guest stay for longer periods of time. I love getting to know these guests and what they do while they are here in Maryland. I also love the breakfast that us employees get to utilize.

Cons

Because it is a smaller hotel, it is very hard to get promoted or more forth within the company. Also its part time and I have been wanting full time. I want to learn more to get more hours but have not been able to.

I would like to be trained on the front desk in case you have call outs or just need an extra helping hand.

La Quinta

I have been working at LA Quinta

Pros

A great company to work for that really values their employees. Culture is about having fun and working hard.

Cons

No cons-best hotel company I've ever worked for.

Front Desk Agent Review

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in San Antonio, TX

I worked at LA Quinta full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for a franchise location, so obviously each franchise is different. I really enjoyed working for my GM, so that kept me there for quite a while. Also, as a college student, I was able to do my homework and study on slow nights. Through this job, I was able to enhance my customer service skills on the telephone and in person. It depends on the ownership, but I was allowed a lot of freedom and responsibility, which I really enjoyed.

Cons

The ownership for my particular franchise was very unorganized. For very low pay, I was completely responsible for day to day operations. Although I gained a lot of experience, the compensation was far from justified. The owner also did not like to spend money on upgrades, making our jobs a little more difficult because things would break down and we would have to find ways to work around it. No paid vacations, no paid time off, and no holiday pay.

Global Sales Manager

I worked at LA Quinta

Pros

Work schedule flexibility and opportunity to learn as much about the hotel industry as you desire

Cons

There are not too many cons overall a positive place if you choose to make it positive

Average place to work

Current Employee - General Manager in La Quinta, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in La Quinta, CA

I have been working at LA Quinta

Pros

Autonomy. Nice people to work for.

Cons

Does not put money into property

Spend some money

Company in Transition

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager

I have been working at LA Quinta

Pros

Great pay
    Best resources in the industry
    Executive team lives the core values
    Really sharp managers and regionals

Cons

Unrealistic expenses controls
    Declining customer service scores each year as quality degrades in favor of the bottom line
    Short term decision making

Focus on quality and strengthening service levels -- less on short term gains. Balance results with potential for results. Show care for your employees by giving them the labor standards that allow for life-work balance and a quality stay.

Corporate office in Irving Texas has the best people you would ever want to meet!

I have been working at LA Quinta

Pros

It's a stepping stone to get the experience before moving up to another brand.

Cons

Working as a team means gossiping as a team on a daily basis.

Company was a fun place to work.

Former Employee - General Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at LA Quinta full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked for the company starting as a Front Desk Clerk and leaving as a General Manager. If you are willing to up and relocate to different cities and states there is much opportunity for professional growth. Company conferences were awesome. Upper level management very personable and make the effort to actually spend time meeting hotel level team members. Free night stays at all locations. Good benefits package and 401k.

Cons

Difficult to truly relax when not at hotel. Most locations only have 1 salaried manager whether the hotel has 75 rooms or 150 rooms. So, there is an increased chance you have to completed drop what you are doing if there is an emergency. Additionally, because you typically do not have an AGM, when you do go on vacation you have a ridiculous amount of administrative work to catch up on upon return. Customer review/survey module makes no sense the way it is structured. A guest can scale your site from 1-10 but the company states anything below a 7 is considered a 0 which affects your potential bonus. Company mostly only invests in the nicer hotels in regards to renovations and upgrades; does not seem to care much about the condition of the older "original grand-daddies" in the company because they are cash cows with less overhead.

Make realistic expectations based upon hotel location, trend and condition. Invest in all of your properties so there is consistency among the locations. It makes it difficult to achieve customer service/cleanliness (in regards to case goods in rooms and capex items) when a guest goes from a newer LQ Inns & Suites location to an older hotel. The older hotels suffer greatly in terms of some goals because of this.

Front Desk Clerk

Current Employee - Front Desk Service Representative in La Palma, CA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Service Representative in La Palma, CA

I have been working at LA Quinta part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Family-oriented environment with wonderful people. I worked here during my transition from high school to college. The co-workers really helped you feel at ease and looked out for one another.

Cons

Not luxury accommodations and so the benefit of staying at other La Qunita's around the United States did not wow anyone. The pay rate could be improved.