LAC Group

CEO

Great Experience

Former Employee - Reference Librarian in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Reference Librarian in Washington, DC

I worked at LAC Group as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

For someone looking to expand their skill sets and learn and use new technologies, a great place to be. The years at LAC built me up to be the Librarian and hold the professional position I do today. I owe them a lot. I worked three assignments during my time with LAC, always learning and developing along the way. Supportive manager and great HR support. Numerous professional development opportunities to be had if you're willing to invest the time and effort.

Cons

None come to mind right now.

Feedback/reviews can sometimes happen less frequently than could be useful.

worked as a contractor at federal agency for this company

I worked at LAC Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

small company. CEO very accessible. lots of growth opportunities.

Cons

compensation could be better; benefits could be better.

have more of a formal structure for growing your employees.

Almost turned me off contracting for life!

I worked at LAC Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people who run the offices are friendly. They try to make the experience pleasant, but they don't seem to have any influence over the unfortunate pay or benefits.

Cons

The company offers a bare minimum of benefits, and does not offer livable wages for their employees. I wasn't even provided information on health plans in writing. I was asked to select my plan over the phone after hearing verbal descriptions. Employees are forced to take paid vacation during mandatory closure days, and vacation time is scarce and precious! Neither pay or benefits was even close to competitive for the market.

Show respect for your employees by compensating them fairly for the market. If you don't offer competitive pay and benefits you will never retain quality talent.

Overall, I had a positive experience with LAC.

Former Employee - Librarian
    Former Employee - Librarian

I worked at LAC Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If your contract ends, LAC makes an effort to place you someplace else.
    They have a nice stipend for career training/continuing education.
    The company made many efforts to support the employees on the project including attendance at meetings and lunches with the staff where the president of the company attended.

Cons

The environment and to some extent the benefits are dependent on the contract that one works under. Because LAC was the sub-contractor for the project that I worked on, the environment was largely determined by the client and the main contractor.
    Because there were two contracting companies on the same project, communications as well as areas of authority could and did get confusing.

Wish I could get those years of my life back.

Former Employee - Library Technician
    Former Employee - Library Technician

I worked at LAC Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have positions available at the best libraries.

Cons

They will chew you up and spit you out. Signed on to do one job in a specific place? They'll send you somewhere else without mileage compensation. Having trouble with a hostile boss? HR will listen politely and then suggest you look elsewhere for employment. Been there too long? They'll push you out to replace you with new employees they can pay starting wages, even though the raises are a joke. Concerns about work safety? HR will come up with the most minimal solution, regardless of its effectiveness. It looks like they dealt with the problem, right?

Pay your employees what they are worth and treat them with respect, for starters.

Respectable organization providing competitive salary and benefits package.

Former Employee - Document Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Document Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at LAC Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits package, and professional development assistance. The resources were sufficient to attend 1 professional conference per year.

Cons

Limited job performance feedback and a somewhat indifferent attitude toward any career development or advancement. There were also no sick days or personal days, just one type of leave to use for everything. No relocation assistance.

Provide more job performance feedback and career development support.

Generally a good contractor to work for.

I have been working at LAC Group

Pros

Good access to manage. Somewhat flexible.

Cons

As a contractor, growth potential is limited.

A very good learning opportunity

Former Employee - Technical Library Work
    Former Employee - Technical Library Work

I worked at LAC Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great skill-building experience, good pay, most staff and management are friendly and helpful.

Cons

Offsite project management can be ineffective and paranoid - communication problems, a little too fast to presume the worst.

Give onsite employees more trust and latitude in how they communicate with clients and handle their production.

Bully boss, ineffectual management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at LAC Group as a contractor

Pros

The pay is good for the field. I worked with some interesting material and kind coworkers. Best used as a stepping stone to something better.

Cons

Paranoid project manager and intensely uncomfortable environment. Complaints from multiple staff members to management met with no assistance. Staff is treated as disposable. Numerous staff were let go with no clear reason, warning, notice, or severance pay.

Corporate management needs to keep a better eye on what is going on at offsite projects and listen to their contract employees. Stop keeping the bad eggs and letting the good ones go. It is doing your company's reputation no favors in the field.