LAMPS PLUS

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dennis Swanson

Great experience for over 20 years

Operations Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Orange, CA

ProsWonderful experience working here for a span over 24 years. Was very close with all of our customers, employees and top management.

ConsOur store was closed down.

Good entry level job/company.

Dispatcher (Former Employee)
    North Hollywood, CA

ProsSchedule flexibility, Decent coworkers, Good company to develop communication skills. Good company to build basic time management skills, customer service skills, technical skills relating to residential lighting. Stable job.

ConsLow to medium compensation, co-workers have basic education, sometimes high stress, no growth. Upper management doesn't really care about keeping good employees by raising pay above maximum raise allowance.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to focus on training staff better, need more cooperation between departments.

Happy with my job, but not the benefits

ProsFriendly work environment, generally not high pressure, good work/life balance, employees are generally treated with respect regardless of job title

ConsBad 401K, bad health benefits, bad vacation benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove your benefits - they are terrible

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No Room for movement

Sales (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsWork from home. Flexible scheduling.

ConsInternet division is a dead end job with no room for movement, commission %'s different between sales reps who do the exact same job. They expect you to answer and help the many customer service calls that come in, but yet they do not compensate you for those type of calls which is a good majority of the calls you get per day. Inconsistent work schedule that will really mess with your internal clock. You can start in the morning one day, next day afternoon, next day evening hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecommendation is have some type of compensation for the many customer service calls during the hours the customer dept is closed. Not having equal commission compensation between sales reps brings low morale

Nice place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFamily owned, place. They do a lot for their employees. Lots of fun and games to engage employees. Lots of locations but feels like a small company.

ConsInfastructure needs updating, but they are working on it. Some of the locations need some facelifting, but they are working on that also.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep up the infastructure improvements.

Reliable, secure job without many options to move up

Display Merchandiser (Current Employee)

ProsI used to work at a large retailer with hundreds of employees, so working in a store with 2 people in management, 5 or 6 salespeople, 2 stock guys and another display merchandiser has been a welcome change. It feels more like a family working together and we have a good time. It's usually a relaxed atmosphere, where we can talk and joke while we work without worrying about a boss yelling at us to get back to work, yet there's always plenty to keep us busy.

I feel like I'm a valued and necessary part of the team, like if I suddenly disappeared they'd be frantically trying to replace me just to keep things running. It's a stable job, even if it is monotonous and unchanging. I don't have to worry about downsizing because they can't eliminate the position, they'd have to close the whole store.

It has been a comfortable, stable job for the past several years as my life has gone through some major transitions. The schedule has always been the same, which is also nice, Monday-Friday.

ConsWe all work as a team, helping each other out, which is good... but it too often turns into doing other people's jobs because they didn't schedule enough people that day and it's suddenly busy. I often have to drop what I'm doing to go answer the phone or carry something out to a car, even when I'm trying to catch up on my own work, just because there's no one else to do it. I want to help out, but I also have a lot of my own work that they want done asap, and I can't work over 40 hours. A lot of daily/weekly tasks are assigned by corporate office people who have no clue how much work there is to do in the store already.

The stock room is so small we can't keep enough product in stock and regularly have to sell the display models (many of them the only one in stock on purpose for lack of space), which we then have to put out again when restocked (then they often return it and we have two out of the box). I keep redoing the same exact work over and over. We also get a lot of "Internet returns" and don't have room for everything in the displays.

There were no raises for 3 years due to the "bad economy" and then when I got a raise it was 25 cents/hour. Minimum wage is catching up to my pay rate and the only way I can earn more is by moving to sales, which I'm not interested in. I have a lot of experience and responsibility now, but they pay me like a new hire. It's steady work that's going nowhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to remember how valuable all the store employees are, not just management and sales. Raises that don't even keep up with cost-of-living or inflation make it difficult to want to stay and we shouldn't have to change departments to earn more. After 6 years I don't even make $1/hour more than when I started.

talented internet marketing team and comfortable working environment

Chatsworth, CA

ProsEveryone in the internet marketing is talented. We all get along and try to help out each other. We learn from our team members with a common goal of exceeding our sales goals with our marketing budget given. Very result driven. Willing to explore new ideas. Great place to learn.

ConsInsurance co-pay could be better. Need more office space to accommodate the growth of the web business.

Advice to Senior ManagementInsurance co-pay could be better.

Not a Place for Advancement

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsEasy job. Sell to customers and make your goals and make your goals. If you don't have ambition to move up then starting in sales is a great place for you.

ConsThey're very bad about promoting people. They expect everyone to clean, do stock work, assemble merchandise, etc. Even though it cuts into your sales and you're on commission. If you're a stronger sales person they let you bet by without doing a lot. They promote stealing from each other by pushing you to make goals and when people steal they look the other way as long as the person doing it is on their top performer.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more fair. Promote from within. Recognize tenure. Make sure your managers stand up for what's right and not what's easiest.

Great Place to work

Senior Web Developer (Former Employee)
    Chatsworth, CA

ProsGreat Place to work at

Consnot so great benefits if you have a family

Advice to Senior Managementget better benefits

Hard work, more technical than expected, a lot asked of you on top of sales requirements

Sales Manager (Former Employee)
    Tukwila, WA

ProsFun designing lighting plans, helping people

ConsBeing a sales associate is not your only duty, they tack on a LOT more responsibilities that make it hard to focus on sales

Advice to Senior ManagementLet sales people be sales people

Worked for LAMPS PLUS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LAMPS PLUS reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for LAMPS PLUS CEO Dennis Swanson. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by LAMPS PLUS employees.