LCO

Good intern experience

Former Employee - Public Relations Intern in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Public Relations Intern in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at LCO as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

good people to work with, experienced professionals

Cons

unpaid internship, busy work for interns

Intern Factory. Unpaid interns doing all administrative work

I worked at LCO as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Something to put on your resume.
    -Nice Building

Cons

- No pay & you pay for parking...so you lose money working here.
    - If you don't pay for parking you have to leave the office every hour and find a different place to park on the street.
    - Long Hours
    - No appreciation//no room to grow
    - Surrounded by unhappy employees
    - Michael Levine very disrespectful
    -Michael Levine has huge ego ( sculpture of his head in the office, makes you photoshop pictures of him in your free time, makes you follow him around carrying his briefcase, and makes you watch a documentary about him before your interview)
    -When I was there they used minimal technology and still were using file folders instead of computer folders.
    -They post new ads on craigslist weekly looking for MORE interns. Literally an intern factory.

Stop being a intern factory! When I was there 80% of the employees at the office were interns.

Very rude owner

I worked at LCO as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people that work in there.

Cons

The owner of the company is very rude, disrespectful and insulting. I understand that I will encounter people like this in life however, there is a line that someone can cross before it's out of control. IT'S out of control... which probably explains the low amount of people who work there. Interns (That do stay) outnumber the employees.

I don't know how to tell someone to change there attitude.

LCO gave me my second chance! I owe a lot to the new owner and company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at LCO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The environment is creative, safe, and positive.
    The current team they've built is strong, hardworking, and changing the company into the best it can be.
    After adding more people to the team, responsibilities are laid out and the organization of the company is at an all time high.
    The offices are clean, team members are patient, and the new owner believes in making the company strive to achieve the ultimate success everyday.
    The energy of the office is very important to the new owner as well. Therefore the environment is young, lively, and a place that is conducive to doing good work. Current team members find friendships and trust in one another!

Cons

Long hours. Leadership Council works hard and long, all the time. PR is a round the clock industry and the publicists and additional staff don't take that lightly. The old saying goes..."Working at LCO is no hobby"

Weekly staff meetings that include the entire company so we can continue to stay on the same page!

I've truly learned so much about the field/industry.

Current Employee - Intern in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at LCO as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

One of my favorite aspects of working here at LCO was the fact that I and the other interns, (with whom I actually built very close personal bonds with) had the opportunity to work under each department. This allowed me to get a great understanding and feel of the positions at first hand. I was able to experience each department for myself to ultimately figure out what areas I was most interested in, as well as my strengths, weaknesses, likes and dislikes. I really got to know myself in the work field more than ever, and I am overly grateful and appreciative for that. Another positive aspect about working here was the positive relationships I built, not only with the other interns, but with the management as well. They really cared to take me under their wing and teach me everything they knew, from basics to the real thing. I have so much respect for each and every single one of them and would not hesitate to use them as references for my future. Last but definitely not least, the lunch breaks are awesome! The location is incredible - center of Beverly Hills, and the 1 hour break, yes 1 hour, is perfect. Allows me to go to a great restaurant and come back just in time! Overall, it is a great job to really experience the industry and meet great people with WONDERFUL connections!

Cons

Some things that I personally feel were an issue were the long hours without pay. Sometimes it can be unmotivating, but you just have to remember that you are building your resume and NETWORKING. At the end of the day, it can only benefit you. Last, if you truly have a dislike for an office environment (aka working on a computer) then stop reading and go on to the next.

Maybe have the tv turned on more often/light music in the background! (if majority votes yes!)

I love working here!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at LCO full-time

Pros

The company has gone through an enormous amount of growth over the last 7 months. There is entirely new management that has taken over and brought in a handful of talented, well-respected publicists that have been working in the entertainment industry for over a decade. Every employee respects one another and goes out of their way to help each other out. LCO is the perfect balance of hard-working and dedicated employees who enjoy each other's company and maintain a positive energy throughout the work day. The intern program has seen a lot of positive changes as well. Interns work in every department within the office, giving them the chance to learn about PR, new business, and project management. If you are looking to get your foot in the door and learn more about the industry, this is a great place to start! You get hands on experience writing pitches, press releases, talking to the media, coordinating events, etc. As the company continues to expand, interns have had more opportunity to obtain full-time employment with the company. I started off as an intern and was offered a position. Three of my colleagues were interns at LCO before they were hired as well.

Cons

PR never sleeps, so if you are not interested in working long hours and being constantly busy (writing, interacting with clients at all hours of the day, calling media, planning events) then this is not the company for you...no, PR is not for you.

Parking is also another downside. If you are an intern you have to park on the street next to the building and move your car every two hours. Personally, I liked taking a break every couple of hours and going outside with my friends to move our cars.

Intern

I worked at LCO as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

you get to work mostly, on your admin skills, and once you've proven yourself, you can transition into actually learning PR.

Cons

lots of egos, and papers being thrown at you...literally. so if you don't have tough skin...don't intern here.

Highly advise against the unpaid internships

I worked at LCO as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You get direct interaction with Michael on a weekly basis.
    Access to a ton of free stationery to write comp requests.
    You might get handed down a complimentary ticket to an event that Michael isn't able to attend.

Cons

You get direct interaction with Michael on a weekly basis.
    I regret to say I stuck out a 9 month internship here where my one and only weekly assignment was to get Michael comp tickets to events (even charity events!), review copies of books, CDs, products and stays at hotels and resorts.
    At every weekly meeting, he would hand over a pile of clippings of ads or reviews for say, a new bestselling book or publicity for an upcoming concert, play or event and request free access because he wrote a weekly column in a local entertainment newspaper. It was our group's job to divvy these up, go back home and find and start hounding the publisher, record company, venue or organization to get it for free. We'd receive responses maybe a third of the time and about 1 out of every 10 of these requests for free things were met.
    Most of these weekly meetings entailed verbally him criticizing you and your fellow interns inability to get free things. It was to the point of being incredibly disrespectful and insulting.
    The majority of employees in the office were young women, mostly unpaid interns.
    Most of my fellow interns did not stay very long and they were smart to figure out that this wasn't the way to start a career in PR.
    They advertise the PR internships very heavily on college campuses and job forums and have interviews on an ongoing basis, which is not a great sign.
    You are promised a certificate of completion, which I never received despite numerous follow ups.

LCO gives "internships" a bad name and really takes advantage of eager, young college students who do not know any better.

Anyone who knows PR knows this place is bad

Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at LCO as an intern

Pros

Great co-workers. (I'm typing this to fill the five words requirement for this text box. I honestly have no other bright spots to recall).

Cons

- An arrogant and ignorant boss. Think Ricky Gervais from the UK "The Office", but you're not in on any of the jokes. He's off-putting, bullying, and the only one who is laughing.
    - Expectations are way too high for someone who they won't even pay minimum wage.
    - Of the 20ish people in the office, 14 were interns. I understand giving people hands on experience, but they're really just abusing the system and it's a bit insulting. And don't hold your breath for that promotion 'cause it ain't coming.
    - Interviews every week for new interns. Most stay for a few weeks then get sick of the crap and leave. Wise choice.
    - If you want to leave the internship early, be it for job or personal reasons, you'll get a 'dishonorable discharge' where the boss threatens to email your references and tell them that they should reconsider defending you as you've failed him and his expectations. I'm not joking; this is in writing when you're 'hired'. Don't worry, though. This is just a bluff. I quit and my references never got a phone call or email from him. He didn't even know who I was. Even after I'd worked there for about six weeks, he'd introduce himself to me every time he saw me. He was just that out of touch with everything.

Summary: I ran into one of my old co-workers a few years after leaving my internship here. In the conversation, she was adamant that LCO PR is not what real PR is like. So save your time and be an intern elsewhere.

Maybe you should intern somewhere. You might learn a few things about PR and how to run a business.

A good place for a newbie to learn, but otherwise a revolving door

Former Employee - Account Executive in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at LCO

Pros

LCO, Levine Communications Office, is a good place for a recent-grad to make their entry into a career in public relations. They also have a good, hands-on internship program that emphasizes real-work experience (No errands and coffee-wrangling there).

Cons

LCO offers unusually low salaries coupled with the expectation that employees will work late nights and weekends. This might be partially why they have a revolving-door of account executives.