LEGO

Updated January 23, 2015
3.1

CEO
1 Rating

A very challenging and rewarding company to work for!!

I have been working at LEGO

Pros

Ability to work for a global company that values their employees. It is a fun and relaxed atmosphere but at the same time is ever changing and proposes new challenges everyday.

Cons

The inability to keep things simple!! I know that we have a very complex set up but it is coupled with very detailed and at times senseless templates or programs that are required.

Decent college job

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at LEGO part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, nice coworkers, relatively easy work during slow parts of the year. The company gives yearly bonuses based on store performance.

Cons

Can be extremely stressful, especially during holiday season. You're not allowed to request time off during the holidays. Leadership constantly changes (it changed every year I was there) and there's a high turnover rate among lower employees. A lot is asked of you, even though you don't work full-time and you're not given hours to complete tasks that take you away from the sales floor. Pay is low, and promoting only gets you so far.

Invest in stand-out employees and let managers go that don't understand what their job entails. Actually interview potential employees, rather than just hiring anyone who applies. Also look into upper management, like district managers, who don't regularly address store issues and provide their own requirements that contradicts company-wide policies.

Good Company

Former Employee - Brick Specialist in Lake Buena Vista, FL
    Former Employee - Brick Specialist in Lake Buena Vista, FL

I worked at LEGO

Pros

Get to make kids smile all day, work wasn't physically demanding. Supervisors are great and are really on top of the game.

Cons

Only got part time, and the pay wasn't enough to cover the cost of living.

I don't have any advice for the store I was working at. Those guys got it down to an art!

retail work

I have been working at LEGO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

employees are great, benefits are ok if full time

Cons

management sit in back office leave everyone else to do work while they claim the glory

really look at the work store manager does

Management uses crisis management to correct decision making mistakes at the expense of employees

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Chicago, IL

I have been working at LEGO part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule if you do your service calls all in the same week. Customers say the product is great even though expensive.

Cons

Many merchandisers have left the company in the last year due to 'crisis management decisions' to correct mistakes made by management. Some managers have been with the company for 30 years and should know if their 'budget' has gone awry. One manager had a photo of a brand new Corvette on their Facebook page right after they had made the decision to lay off the merchandising team for two months. New employees go 'through the motions' and do just enough to 'pass' their 'duties and responsibilities list.' Feedback from accounts serviced by LEGO merchandisers say the LEGO merchandising team is no longer 'best in class.'

Any advice to management will be ignored and deemed irrelevant.

Brick specialist

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at LEGO

Pros

-friendly
    -Good experience with kids, as well as a fast paced retail environment
    -You get to build display sets
    - I work with good people, and my manager is great
    - provides a really good employee discount

Cons

- pay could be better, for the retail quality that is expected
    - communication with corporate is good, but could be better
    - people leave their kids in the store unattended, not a company thing (and they've implemented new policies) but is still a con of the job

communication is key, think about things that work in actual stores to make them more efficient

Great retail experience

Former Employee - Brick Specialist in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Brick Specialist in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at LEGO part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work with great people, easy job

Cons

Standing all day, dealing with unpleasant customers

Love this company!

Former Employee - Brick Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Brick Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at LEGO part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, cool job, great discount, also yearly bonus (if store meets goals) and yearly holiday gift and party (which is rare for retail).

Cons

Almost impossible to move up without moving to another city. And no full time people (maybe at larger stores than mine)

Nothing, you treat employees very well (especially for retail). Thank you! I loved it there and miss it there. I would LOVE to be an ASM but can't move away from here, and this position is not opening any time soon.

Fun environment and fun customers

Former Employee - Brick Specialist in Lone Tree, CO
    Former Employee - Brick Specialist in Lone Tree, CO

I worked at LEGO full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to have fun while you work! All the special event are super fun to work and you get to meet some amazing people on the job.

Cons

You have to greet every customer with " Who is getting the Lego set today?" It gets really old, really fast. Plus the customers get annoyed with it as well.

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at LEGO part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Co-workers are wonderful and they look out for each other. Constant communication and support is what the merchandising team is all about.

Cons

Management and the Human Resource dept. pay no attention to numerous complaints regarding the same manager. Management may 'go through the motions' of 'listening' to you. but nothing will be done. It seems like the attitude toward the merchandising team is employees making $10.50 an hour and just packing out product.

Useless gesture leaving any advice for management. This has been going on for years. If a company doesn't conduct exit interviews for merchandisers who leave the company - enough said.