LG Mobile Phones

Jeff Hwang

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Life's NOT good at LG

I have been working at LG Mobile Phones

Pros

If you are a full time regular employee the benefits are pretty decent: Health, Dental, Gym, Phone reimbursement. They do provide free breakfast every Friday.

Cons

Everyone is overworked and stressed. They do not hire enough people to handle the workload. LG tends to hire temps for about a year at a time and use them until they either quit, or their term is up. This results in employees that don't know what they're doing, and dissatisfied employees at that.

I work in a department where half the employees are temps, and we know full well we will not be hired on. The workload is huge, exhausting, and management fails miserably at rewarding us for our hard work. Instead, we are micromanaged. My supervisor makes me outline daily what I've done, and how long each task took. Everything we do is logged, to the point that we spend 60% of our time logging what we did instead of actually doing our jobs.

I used to stay late daily, but stopped because it wasn't worth it. I've had two panic attacks and several migraines since starting at LG, and gained ten pounds from stress eating/drinking. My supervisor has caused me and my coworker both to break down crying in meetings. My coworker has been known to stay til 9pm and work on weekends, and doesn't even always put it on her timecard because management makes her feel guilty for not getting her work done in eight hours. This coworker will also be discarded once her one year term is up.

Another coworker, also a temp, was invited for an interview to become permanent in the company. HR then called him the day before the interview and cancelled it, saying he was no longer qualified because they decided he needed a degree, which he didn't have, to do the job he was already doing.

Based on what I've heard around the office, the only people that are happy here are the Koreans, because it is a Korea based company. The rest of us are forced to be excluded from conversations during company meals because they are speaking in Korean, and can't read half the emails sent.

I also have a supervisor who has repeatedly asked who I am dating the entire six months that I have been with the company. Not quite harassment, but uncomfortable nonetheless.

Overall, I'm very unhappy at LG and have requested that my temp agency move me... unfortunately by the time I get home after work I'm too exhausted and stressed to even think about trying to find a new job.

Hire more employees and examine your managers--exactly how useful are they?

Work is fun but it is not fair

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at LG Mobile Phones

Pros

Fun Work
    Nice People
    Good location
    Still good potential to grow

Cons

Not Fair
    No planning is required
    Salary is low

Please be clear about everything

If you are not Korean, advancement is limited

Former Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at LG Mobile Phones

Pros

Cool industry to work for
    Company discounts across all LG products
    Great location in sunny San Diego

Cons

Hard to maintain morale when the company is always 2 steps behind the competition. Especially when they had the research supporting innovative launches.

Stop resting on past successes and get ahead of the curve.

Great people, poor communication from upper management

I have been working at LG Mobile Phones

Pros

Health care benefits are free, so is dental plan.
    Free phones.
    Small company feel.
    Free breakfast on Fridays
    Location of office

Cons

R&D lab head of US is always nervous when upper management from Korea visits our site. It stresses us out that he is stressed.
    Increased work load with minimal staff size
    8am is the time you must be in the office.

Listen to your employees. Empower local employees and not rely on FSE as much. Need local employees to provide continuity.

It's a great place to work... as long as you leave your hopes and dreams out the door.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at LG Mobile Phones

Pros

Free breakfast on every Friday. Need to be an early bird, though. Employee discount on a lot of LG products, such as TVs and refrigerators, although you might find a better deal at Amazon if you consider tax and shipping. Occasional outdoor BBQ and picnics. Depending on what you do, you get to play with many "not yet released" LG phones.

Cons

No cubicle walls (for engineers only). There used to be, but someone upstairs thought getting rid of cubicle walls would allow easier communication among engineers. Zero privacy. A lot of important issues are discussed in the smoking area outside the building while smoking and drinking coffee, so if you don't smoke nor drink coffee, you can forget about being *in* the circle. Also if you don't play golf (the management takes golf dead seriously), kindly kiss all your career advancement goodbye. They ask you to show up at 8AM (it used to be 9), but that doesn't mean you can go home at 5PM. Even if you spend all your hours at your desk, no jeans except on Fridays. If you don't speak Korean, make sure you are white; they'll worship you even if you do a lousy job. This place forces you to come up with ideas that can be used in phones, but quantity matters a lot more than quality of the ideas. People brought from Korea are treated exceptionally well (the company pays for their houses, cars, maid services, and does taxes for them), but local recruits are bottom of the food chain. All the projects are done in Korea, so you'll always be an extra that nobody recognizes.

Bring interesting projects. Reward fairly. Don't penalize non-smokers, non-coffee-drinkers, and non-golfers. Bring back cubicle walls or, better yet, bring everyone in the rooms to the same playing ground.

Good benefits, bad work/life balance (depending on department)

Current Employee - Demand Planner in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Demand Planner in San Diego, CA

I have been working at LG Mobile Phones

Pros

- Good benefits
    - HR really proactive in engaging employees

Cons

- Bad work/life balance (depending on which dept you worked)
    - Unequal treatment of employees based on race (depending on which dept you worked)

Korean senior management (originating from Korea) groups needs to adjust to their American surroundings so as to avoid alienating other colleagues
    Be more innovative in business processes

Great People not so great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at LG Mobile Phones

Pros

The people who work for this company are very good it's just too bad that mid managers don't show appreciation to their team members.

Cons

Management does not reconize the employees efforts. HR does not help the team members they only do what makes them look good in the eyes of upper management. Too many programs that are tailored to make HR look good and not really help the employees. Upper management needs to listen to employees not just the supervisors/mid managers.

Work with team members not just supervisors. HR does not understand the needs of the employees. Take notice of what competition is doing and if you want to be #1 in America then listen to what your people are telling you not what Korea is tell you to do.

LG-Life's Gone

Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at LG Mobile Phones

Pros

Great Colleagues
    Good Perks (ie starbucks etc)
    You are trusted with a lot of responsibility
    You learn a lot from your experiences

Cons

No work life balance
    Communication is poor
    Most communication is done in Korean which makes your job much more difficult
    Too much work, very little play
    Many employees are burned out

The communication channel needs reflect the local language, especially upstream.
    Change the "work you to death" culture
    Incorporate work life balance goals or programs

In order to succeed or grow with the company, you have to be able to wear several hats.

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at LG Mobile Phones full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The team of people I worked with were great, making going to work each day fun and exciting. I was able to learn many new skills, become an expert in many areas that I am able to use throughout my career.

Cons

The biggest obstacle (s) are culture based if you do not speak the Korean language. Communication is key in our line of work, so you are at a disadvantage if you do not speak the language regardless of how experience or good you are at doing your job.

It is important to relay clear direction for the team so that everyone can focus on the same end goal. Communicating this at an early stage can help build a solid foundation with the team.

Product Manager

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at LG Mobile Phones full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Big stable company along with rare layoff

Cons

Too much of a work, less work and life balance

Do not be too dictative