LIN Media

www.linmedia.com

LIN Media Reviews

Updated Jun 6, 2014
LIN Media – Austin – “Local Show”

Vincent L. Sadusky

An okay place to work

Account Manager (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsGreat Management team, good benefits, good work life balance

ConsCompensation, way to many tasks that take away from sales time

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-Think the compensation plan

Be careful of management here

Account Executive (Current Employee) Honolulu, HI

ProsBenefits are decent, 401k company
    match, ideal location, free parking

ConsNot the number #1 news brand, a lot
    of employees have left within the last year, bad company culture, to much corporate influence, Not the best leadership team. GM disconnected to most departments with obvious favoritism with certain departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate should look into recent employee departures, change the bad culture and correct bad moral within local company KHON2

They lied to our faces and laughed about it

Office (Former Employee)

ProsIf the company doesn't have designs to get rid of your department they're not a bad company to work for but if they plan to eliminate your department, the company is very cold and callous.

ConsWhen they bought our company, LIN Media reps came in and lied to all our faces. They promised nothing would change and then within a few months they unceremoniously got rid of several departments and left the other workers wondering from day to day if the hatchet was going to fall on them next.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Typical media outlet slow to adapt, but beholden to shareholders and profits.

Creative Services (Former Employee)

ProsThey own several large media outlets. With that you can get good experience in the business. They are often looking for new talent, and for someone young this can be a path into the industry, if trial by fire. They are one of the big players in media, and merging with General Media means a certain level of stability in a troubled market.

ConsRisk averse in decisions about modern media. They tend to be quite disconnected from their staff. General thoughts among most workers are that they are anti-union, and generally anti-worker, while continually pushing out good talent in order to save money for the bottom line.

Sales staff tends to fare better, IF they can perform.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at the way other successful companies treat their staff, and as such get great productivity out of them (SAS, Adobe, Wegmens, REI, etc.). Also, be more bold in facing the future of interactive media and socionomics. While traditional broadcasting still pulls in revenue, you already know that web based media outpaces it, and has much more upside. Be bold and embrace this, and ask your workers to partner with you to do so.

Watch out for this company KHON2

Account Executive (Current Employee) Honolulu, HI

ProsGreat people, sales reps are talented, benefits are decent. Number 2 station in market.

ConsManagement team does not work well together. Station is lead by bad leader. Leader does not understand day to day responsibilities to be successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a whole new management team in Hawaii.

Run

Sales (Current Employee) Green Bay, WI

ProsGreat benefits that is really it. Most of the people are friendly but they will stab you in your back at first chance

ConsI worked here for several years and what I saw is astonishing. They are ripping people off and lying to their face about what results they are getting. They fired a kid who left a 60k job to come work here. They refused to train him or give him access to his accounts but it was his fault and they let him go then denied him unemployment. You get no results from advertising with WLUK fox 11 or cw14 they are just scamming you and taking your money. Their programming is horrible and I think the results are a lie as well. It is full commissioned job with only 3 months of base pay that barely covers your expenses if you want to sell television advertising work for a real tv station. The only thing they have is football and unless you can shell out $2500 per commercial you will not be seen.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over yourself

Typical Corporate outfit run by one per-centers.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits are good. They have a generous yearly reward program for outstanding employees. You'll have good perks...if you are a manager. If you work for a good manager, your job can be very enjoyable.

ConsYou have to participate in the yearly Wellness Program in order to keep your health premiums down. If you don't work for a good manager, expect your complaints to be ignored. HR is VERY shady. They do a lot of downsizing and hubbing. It's TV so don't expect high pay if you are a foot soldier. The industry is more about loving what you do than loving how much you make.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees. They can always sense if you genuinely care about them. Empty speeches don't inspire people. ACTIONS inspire people. Bad actions inspire people to leave. If you meet with an employee, ask them questions. Don't talk the whole time!

Competitive Sales environment with opportunity for growth

Account Executive (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGreat work environment and people.

ConsLong hours needed to get the job done and not a lot of flexibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement must remember that creativity and innovation is necessary for future growth

The Absolute Worst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Savannah, GA

ProsVacation and sick days, SOME good people to work with

ConsRecently acquired station- hubbing departments made for confusion, morale was always very low, GM always out of town and looked down on others, corporate seemed very unorganized and not prepared to handle the new stations, news staff was put down by corporate on several occasions

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire.

So far so good!

Reporter (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsNice people, seems like a lot of room for growth, they often hire within, seem to be good stock options.

ConsSo far I haven't seen evidence of very high salaries. I think in this business you really need to love what you do.

Worked for LIN Media? Contribute to the Community!