LKQ

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
2.6

Robert L. Wagman

Pros
  • Opportunity for growth through online training (in 3 reviews)

• good pay if you have a good route and bust your back, health benefits are good weekends off (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is out of touch and don't even know what is going on (in 5 reviews)

• No raises without threats and/or tantrums after ridiculous amounts of time being delayed and lied to (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

We are MacGyver

Current Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at LKQ full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

LKQ is an exciting company. I've been here for just 4 years and am amazed every day with how much it has changed in that period of time. To keep up with the evolution of the business we are given an opportunity to speak up and find ways to make things better. I have never heard an idea discounted without consideration and the result is that ingenuity is rewarded because it has the opportunity to prove its value. The compensation is fair and the work experience is absolutely priceless.

Cons

I have a hard time coming up with "cons" that don't make me feel like a bit of a whiner. If I've ever had a concern with anything I have communicated it clearly and rationally and it's been resolved. I don't work with anyone unreasonable and believe that upper management here genuinely wants all of us to succeed because they know that a rising tide lifts all ships.

Continue to share your vision and keep your doors open. Trust that you've assembled the right team and we will continue to work hard to be worthy of that trust.

Fantastic company to work for!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at LKQ

Pros

Great benefits and competitive pay! Good work environment and friendly employees as well as superiors.

Cons

From the self service point of view it's the weather that's hard for some to deal with.

LKQ the real story

Current Employee - Mgr in Nash, TN
    Current Employee - Mgr in Nash, TN

I have been working at LKQ full-time (less than a year)

Pros

After leaving LKQ for greener grass, I have returned to the company in a leadership role. I would like to set the record straight about the company. LKQ is a solid, employee driven company. They take good care of the employees contrary to some of the disgruntled comments I have read on this site. Upper leadership is clear and directive. Benefits are on par with other comparably sized companies.

If you have drive, commitment, work ethic, and be part of a winning team then LKQ is a great place to be. If you want to work your way up the ladder in your chosen field and pay your dues to EARN this, then LKQ is a great place to be. If you want to complain, do the bare minimum to just get by, wait for someone to tell you to act when you see problems, then perhaps you should consider looking elsewhere along with many of the negative posts on this site.

Cons

I work in the Corporate Support Center, and quite honestly I have no CONS. If I had had CONS, then I would have not returned to work for the company. I can not speak for the yards, warehouses, etc. but I can say the company is fair and has an open door policy. So if you are unhappy, then run your valid concerns up the management chain and don't bring your team down by sitting idle and complaining.

MBWA. Visit your sites, reach out to people. Make yourself available to everyone down to the night watchman. Solicit for feedback and follow up on their concerns. When employees feel they are being heard and have a voice, most will put more heart and dedication into their work, and we will all benefit from it.

Its just ok, but not a career choice.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

I have been working at LKQ full-time

Pros

I now have benefits as opposed to previous employment where I didn't.

Cons

Have had a lot of empty promises made, being to loose faith in the company and management.

My advice would be to consider who you are hiring as management closer, my manager cant even do something as simple as use excel or copy and paste on a laptop, and definitely cannot gain control of employees, some employees take advantage of this and leave others carrying their dead weight. It makes for a crappy work situation.

Poor Management

I worked at LKQ full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Not a whole lot. Promise you the world in the interview. Ever changing work hours with little warning. Very unrealistic goals of workforce.

Cons

Poor management. Lack of experience at HR level. Upper management refuses to look at what causes internal problems.

Organized Chaos

Former Employee - Corporate Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Corporate Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at LKQ full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Continuous company growth through acquisitions, wonderful personalities in all levels of the company, no fear of layoffs on the corporate side, and a constant opportunity for cross-training and learning new skills.

Cons

New skills were learned on an as-needed basis, simply because you were within earshot of the task to be done. HR and Executives never showed compassion toward the 16,000 employees.

Stop being the be-all, end-all. You'll never get anything done if you continue to play judge in every little dispute in middle management. Stop being so money hungry and make sure corporate policies are followed by the new locations before you go out and buy more Mom-and-Pop salvage yards.

Terrible company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at LKQ

Pros

You can get parts for your vehicle at a discount

Cons

Employees are treated very poorly, over work good employees to pick up the slack of the lesser, instead of hiring better employees, shady managers, terrible pay, ridiculously high turnover rate on employees, zero appreciation shown for hard work

Show gratitude to employees going above and beyond, don't promote because they're friends, promote because they actually know the job and you may get good results for a change

Ok if you are single without a family

I have been working at LKQ

Pros

Starting pay is underwhelming but they promise a raise within 6 months

Cons

Inconsistent training and management direction.
    You will not get promised raises or promotions.
    If you are a woman and happen to get pregnant while working here expect to be harassed and degraded on a daily basis. You will not be treated the same as a male employee regardless of training or experience and will be harassed about and written up for every doctors appointment you have to go to.

Have consistency in training and the way employees are treated regardless of sex or family situation and do what you say you will

Whole company ran like a garage sale.

I have been working at LKQ

Pros

My checks don't bounce. I get paid on time.

Cons

Management is completely out of touch with reality and how to treat people. There is a class system where a few elite as they are called employees can basically do what they want because all they have to do is show up and wait for the phone to ring. Management makes sweeping policy changes without consulting the employees they effect and you never know when you may send a 5000.00 engine that magically vanishes an route.

Hire managers that know how to manage people. Don't make policy changes because a few people won't follow existing policy, fire the people who won't listen. Give more time off to employees. The PTO policy is a joke. Don't send parts that are obviously broken or wrong. Pay your employees a decent wage since upper management makes 6 figures.

Tense Work Environment

Former Employee - Staff Accountant
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant

I worked at LKQ full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits and Compenstion for Salaried Employee

Cons

Low team morale, poor management