LMI

Updated November 24, 2014
3.2

LMI President, CEO, and Trustee Nelson M. Ford
Nelson M. Ford

Pros
  • Great work-life balance, telework and office hours that do not normally go over 40 a week (in 13 reviews)

• The pay is good for an intern position (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • His aggressive cost cutting approach has reduced the benefits greatly and it will not stop (in 6 reviews)

• The current CEO has made the company more top heavy with management and reduced employee benefits (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

LMI has done a great job preparing for the move and positioning itself as a competitive company.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at LMI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As always ... great people who work together as a team. Shared objectives. Shared culture. Loyalty to each other. I can't begin to estimate what it's worth to know that I can count on my co-workders no matter what I ask of them. Reward us as teams and we'll work as teams.

Cons

This "we're all in it for ourselves" libertarian philosophy is not the LMI culture. In this organization, we take care of each other and are happy to share the rewards. Our front office really needs to understand that we're willing to share those rewards disproportionately with management, but we need you to understand that we are not motivated and managed by libertarian principles. Speak to us as people who work and are rewarded for our service to the public good and you'll touch our hearts.

Your message today, about bonuses, CIS performance, and employee contribution, was a GREAT communication. Keep it up, sir -- we can right this ship together.

Quality staff, interesting work, weak leadership

Current Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at LMI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Wide variety of interesting client interactions; competent and intelligent staff; collegial work environment.

Cons

The corporate culture has changed for the worse in recent years. Previously LMI prided itself on being different than other consulting firms, but now it has lost its identity and is trying to be like everyone else in the beltway. Less concern for employees and increasing emphasis on cutting costs and improving the bottom line. Minimal opportunity for advancement and growth. Experienced employees are devalued and the company is moving towards a younger, less experienced, and cheaper work force. Company management is lacking visionary leadership.

Don't lose sight of what made LMI a great place to work. We should not try to be like BAH, Deloitte, and Leidos. Cheaper is not always better. You get what you pay for.

LMI (accepting risk) has evolved since its conception to deliver more real management of government.

Current Employee - Program Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at LMI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

LMI really is an honest broker in its consulting, staffed with people who possess incredible expertise, and a real willingness to tackle the hard work of government (and change). Collegial, but progressive atmosphere.

Cons

The company has grown very organically, which while a very good thing, somewhat stymies a reasonably healthy appetite for cross business unit collaboration and entering new markets.

It's difficult to capture the flavor and impact of the 500+ high quality projects delivered, but a very necessary and worthwhile endeavor for all before moving on to the challenges of the next fiscal year.

Great co-workers

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at LMI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are many positives to working here - great co-workers, a sense of purpose, ability to tele-work or flex hours when necessary. The echelon of management above me is top notch - intelligent, doesn't micro-manage, supportive. The C-Suite is another matter. The work is challenging and new contracts bring new opportunities. Company has been very successful throughout it's history to include last five years - weathered the economic downturn well.
    Salary is adequate, benefits used to be great, are now average. Company's retirement contribution was recently cut, but is still better than many of my peers. Tuition reimbursement was recently cut, but is still better than many other similar companies.
    Personnel turnover has increased in the last six months, but leaders in my division are making changes to respond to the concerns of early career professionals and senior consultants.

Cons

Senior management has an ideology that everyone is motivated by money, and growth of the company is the only important business metric. While salaries have stagnated, and benefits have been cut, the senior leadership has seen their salaries and bonuses skyrocket. And while the number of staff has grown incrementally, the number of Vice Presidents and new titles for senior managers has more than doubled in five years. Bonuses in the company used to be a small year end "thank you", distributed across the board. The previous CEO got about $5K in 2008 - current CEO got 165K in 2011 (last year the 990 is available), and growth in executive salaries have far exceeded the rest of the company. Furthermore, senior management now focuses on company growth targets rather than excellent service to the client or how to synchronize the growing pains when support systems in a small company are no longer adequate for a medium sized company. The CEO is convinced he is the smartest person in any room he enters.

Managers read numbers, leaders read people. Whether it is true or not, the perception is that senior managers care mostly about their own bottom line, and not the welfare of the employees.

The company has changed

I worked at LMI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people working there are great.
    The opportunities are there if you're in the right area.

Cons

Top heavy management structure.
    Fairness and equity issues are widely dependent on who you work for.
    Work-life issues can be out of balance.

Reduce top heavy structure.
    Better monitor existing fairness issues.

great, great place to work

I have been working at LMI

Pros

very kind and friendly coworkers, beautiful building, very accessible

Cons

none that i can think of, maybe the traffic coming to work, depending on where you're coming from

Overall, great first work experience for students.

Current Employee - Co-op Analyst in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Co-op Analyst in McLean, VA

I have been working at LMI as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

If you find yourself in a group with lots of work to do, this is going to be a very productive co-op experience. The projects are interesting and you have opportunities to actually apply some of what you've learned in school. There's a good amount of responsibility given to undergrad students, granted that you do quality work to prove yourself capable. Also, the pay is higher than average co-ops.

Cons

The flipside is if you're assigned to a group that has smaller and smaller contracts, there probably won't be too many interesting projects headed your way. Advice is to network with people outside of the group to see if taking a part in other projects is feasible. Also, there aren't too many recent grads so that's also something to keep in mind in terms of company culture and office dynamic.

Who are we?

Current Employee - Research Fellow in McLean, VA

I have been working at LMI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It was a great company once. Employees and officers used to be mission focused. There was only one goal: providing superior client service.

Cons

Things started going downhill gradually in 2009 when the current CEO took charge. He convinced us there was an immediate need for benefit cuts (elimination of $500 Flexible Spending Account contribution; switch to a cheaper medical insurance provider with staff experiencing severe decline in service quality; removal of holiday on Friday after Thanksgiving even when funding goals were met or exceeded; removal of backup daycare service with Bright Horizons Child Care; re-characterization of sick leave).

Two more benefit changes that will be effective January 2015:

1. All employees except management will lose their private offices. This is not a big deal for employees at other companies. However for LMI staff this was a generous offering that made us feel appreciated.

2. In September 2014 a reduction of 5% in retirement contributions was announced. This brings LMI's contribution down from 12% to 7%. That is still quite good compared to industry norms. This needs to be viewed holistically: LMI's base salary was lower compared to our competitors'. However LMI more than made it up with all the generous benefits listed above. When those benefits are also reduced employee satisfaction becomes a problem.

It is admirable that employees are still willing to strongly support LMI despite the recently announced benefit cutbacks. There is only one problem: sacrifice is only expected from the rank-and-file. Officer compensation has skyrocketed since the current CEO took charge in 2009.

Where is the proof? As a not-for-profit, the IRS requires LMI to submit Form 990 that breaks out major expense categories. One of these categories is officer compensation. All this is public information.

Glassdoor doesn't allow links to be provided in reviews. LMI's 990 forms can be viewed at Foundationcenter dot org as PDF documents. The following are the page numbers for each of the FYs: Page 26 for FY09; page 27 for FY10; page 27 for FY11.

There was a shocking increase in FY10: officer bonuses went up by over 2,000% (that is not a typo). Compensation decreased slightly in FY11 for them.

This is a terrible message from management to the employees. Nobody is advocating socialism but shared sacrifice would be much appreciated. Especially for a not-or-profit, officer compensation seems astronomical. As comparison, MITRE's CEO (admittedly an FFRDC) made over $1 million in FY11. However their funding level was over $1 billion. LMIs funding in FY11 was $207 million and the CEO made $636,000.

So while staff have been lulled into believing their bonuses have increased by approximately 3-4% over the years, it has come at the price of heavy benefit cuts and steep increase in executive compensation. How is that for a fair trade?

None. I don't think they care.

If any uncomfortable issues are raised you may not be considered a "team player". We don't want that, do we now? Even if we've been here for 20 years!

Leadership? Belt tightening and management bonuses

I have been working at LMI full-time

Pros

History of good management - staff relationships. Financial strength from 4 or 5 years of continued growth of corporate revenues and bookings.

Cons

Senior management made an across the board reduction of corporate contribution to retirement of 5% as a cost cutting, belt tightening move. Meanwhile the CEO receives a million dollar bonus! No shared sacrifice at LMI!

The Board needs to reexamine its incentive program for management before the CEO ruins the company!

Management benefits - Staff suffers

I have been working at LMI full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance. Talented staff (unfortunately the best seem to be headed out). Competitive compensation, though the once great benefits package has been cut back dramatically. Private offices will soon be replaced with "open work space" and cubicles (any surprise that talented staff are looking at their options).

Cons

Senior management are making short-term cost cutting decisions that maximize their compensation without considering the long-term implications to the health of the firm. Among the junior staff, the smarter and more ambitious talent is leaving. I've never seen morale so low or staff rumblings so vocal. Staff were hit with an across-the-board compensation cut of 5%, without regard to merit or performance. Managers are getting big bonuses to keep the company operating but finding it increasingly difficult to attract and retain the experienced staff that built LMI's reputation. Meanwhile company officers, in this not-for-profit firm, are seeing their compensation sky-rocket to over $1,000,000. Not hard to see who is profiting.

Senior managers should be leaders, inspiring your people and sharing their sacrifice. LMI managers need some lessons in leadership - the type taught to lieutenants in the military! Year after year the CEO asks staff to accept paltry salary increases (1%, 2%) in the name of "belt tightening", while senior managers receive 10%, 20% or higher annual increases, plus annual bonuses topping $1,000,000 -- One Million Dollars! The Board needs to reconsider the incentives given to Senior Management before they do more harm to a once great organization