LMI Reviews

Reset
2.9
LMI President, CEO, and Trustee Nelson M. Ford
Nelson M. Ford

Pros
  • Work-Life balance is wonderful - for now (in 13 reviews)

• The pay is good for an intern position (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Other cost cutting measures include (in 6 reviews)

• 5K in 2008 - current CEO got 165K in 2011 (last year the 990 is available), and growth in executive salaries have far exceeded the rest of the company (in 4 reviews)

Excellent Company

I worked at LMI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The environment is friendly and family like. The people who work there are very smart. Great for entry level people as well as those retiring from the military or government.

Cons

Salaries are a little lower, but the benefits outweigh that.

Sheet Metal

Former Employee - Machinist in Ballwin, MO
    Former Employee - Machinist in Ballwin, MO

I worked at LMI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nice people to work with

Cons

terrible pay. very bad raises even if you are a high performer. poor management. No respect to its employees.

Rent Bill Management Team Lead

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at LMI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging work, government affiliated, large team

Cons

Promotions based on who you know not exprience(s), micromanaging, no professional development available

Advice to Management

Listen to your people, mentor younger managers

5. Lots of change

I have been working at LMI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work with a very driven team that helps solve difficult problems for our customers. Although our benefits have changed recently, they are still very good.

Cons

LMI has moved to a cubicle workspace and offices are glass walled, this does not provide any privacy. Communication in change can use improvement.

Great company

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at LMI full-time

Pros

LMI was a great place to discover my passion. I was able to move up within the company and grow professionally. They have excellent benefits and wonderful people.

Cons

Proposal season is a bit stressful but we all get to work when we win the contract.

Advice to Management

Be on the look out for up and coming talent.

No Confidence Vote for Sr Mgmt

Current Employee - Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at LMI full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Years ago LMI had a distinct corporate culture that came from its founding as a Defense think tank. Leadership from retired generals and admirals fostered this. The culture survived up to recent years with the leadership of General Bill Tuttle and Admiral Pilling. As a result there was an esprit de corps and collegial atmosphere that supported collaborative endeavors and professionalism in the pursuit of providing the absolute best advice to Government.

Cons

In any forum, like this, there will be a few malcontents. But when 4 out of 5 give the CEO and Sr. Management a vote of no confidence (as of July 2015) – there is a serious leadership problem. Our competitors’ CEOs receive rating approvals of 80% to 90%. At LMI it is 20%, and everyone knows it would be even lower except for the departments whose mission it is to promote LMI (HR, Communications). In 2009 LMI received a new CEO, and the loss of the earlier positive culture began. The CEO is a cost cutting manager – not a leader in the mold of LMI former CEOs. Money, not professionalism, became the driving metric. It’s now every man and women seeking bonuses at the expense of others and of teamwork. Compensation, even to the most productive staff, was cut with the explanation of needing to remain cost-competitive, but the CEO gets million dollar bonuses! Senior management looks to maximize their personal compensation with short-term “successes” that jeopardize the long-term health of the company. “Grey hairs” were told the future is not with them. LMI moved into a new building the looks good on the surface, but follows the model of open space work areas that numerous studies reported in the WSJ and Wash Post have shown lower productivity, increase stress, and increase staff dissatisfaction. There is a real “brain drain” and the long-term future is very much in doubt.

Advice to Management

“In the world of business, bad news often surfaces serially: You see a cockroach in your kitchen; as the days go by, you meet his relatives.” Warren Buffett

8. Pretty good, not perfect.

I worked at LMI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My bosses were great about making sure I was trained and enjoying my job.

Cons

My peers were not great. Very much a sense of this is MY job. No real sense of working with team players. Admins had all been there forEVER and when you're the new kid on the block AND they all are worried about their tenure... Oh well.

Long time PL- Concerned about recent changes

Current Employee - Project Leader in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Project Leader in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at LMI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

LMI has very bright amazing staff who are the best in their fields (especially within our Logistics practices). There is a strong focus on analytic support behind the recommendations and client support we provide. The firm historically has provided good benefits and a strong focus on its core consulting services (though this has changed over time).

Cons

There has been a shift in focus over the last 2-3 years away from core consulting services. The administrative/Overhead functions within LMI appear to be driving our transformation and have implemented systems and controls that are reducing efficiency. This is a company of analysts and many have done the math to see that admin positions are increasing faster than our consulting positions or growth rate. Additionally , the cost per admin position is increasing with the new management positions being created. This as well as a new building will put extra pressure on the direct staff to cover these costs.

Advice to Management

I understand the need to formalize and implement new procedures and supporting systems as a company matures, but please take a hard look at the additional administrative/indirect costs that are being applied to our core consulting business. Are we as efficient as we could be?

10. Security Assistant

Former Employee - Information Security Analyst in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Information Security Analyst in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at LMI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent place to work with a lot of resources at your disposal

Cons

No complaints after working for the company

11. Great place to work

Pros

Quality of life and compensation

Cons

There are some minor issues, but overall it is a great place to work.

RSS Feed </> Embed