LOYAL3

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
4.3

Barry Schneider

A great place to learn as well as work with the coolest people in SF

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LOYAL3 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The technologies using here are definitely the most advanced among all companies. They really provide you the opportunity to show and prove your idea as well as adapt any new technology you like. No matter you are a new-grad or more senior engineer, you always find that you can learn new stuff and facing challenge everyday. People working here is super friendly and you almost feel like home. It is located in financial district with a gym at the corner which is really convenient for lots of people. It has a relatively flat organization structure and it is really equal opportunity. If you are an engineer, you can always ask any engineer, VP and even CTO to pair with you. Also they provide you pretty good dinner if you works late. Yoga class is provided in the office too.

Cons

Loyal3 is growing rapidly and team splitting, re-grouping and switching happens frequently. It is totally understandable. But if company can keep track of your preview performance after changing your team/manager, it will be great.

Better ask people's preference before you assign them to a new team. (It has been improving, I believe it won't be a problem in the future)

LOYAL3 Response

Dec 15, 2014VP, Operations

Thank you for the review. We pride ourselves on being a flat organization where executives are working alongside their team. Building an amazing company is up to all of us and it sounds like you ... More

Cool place to work, but not completely practical for the long-haul

I have been working at LOYAL3 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Awesome start-up like atmosphere
    - Family-oriented environment, super friendly
    - Plenty of stocked kitchens and communal space
    - Location in heart of Financial District

Cons

- Lowest salaries for comparable roles across industry
    - Higher-level management decisions tend to fall in the hands of only CEO
    - Lack of respect for business/finance components of business vs. tech/engineering
    - Employees working at 60-70% of total capacity - surplus of employees
    - No formal review process or increase of salary + bonus

LOYAL3 is a great place to work but without rewarding employees and compensating their achievements, a higher level of turnover pattern has begun to show. In order to retain talent and top performers, management should work hard on paying comparable salaries to other tech employers in the area.

LOYAL3 Response

Dec 12, 2014VP, Operations

Thank you for your review. We’re happy to hear that you enjoy the start-up atmosphere and friendly environment.

We strive to create compelling compensation packages including base, stock options
    ... More

Great firm, great people, a lot of learning and people who really care.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LOYAL3

Pros

Everyone is extremely nice and easily to become great friends with. The work is exciting and challenging at the same time. They really do put culture before everything. The company has a lot of potential.

Cons

A lot of contractors so you have a fair amount of turnover with who you are working with. The company wide monday morning meets can get kind of boring.

Early stages employment with L3

Former Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at LOYAL3 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great deal of personal consideration as a prospective employee ranging from new hire to CEO. L3 is a family, bar none.

Long hours pair with loyalty. Expect to join a family that communicates and knows/cares who you are on many levels.

Hal the espresso machine.

Cons

No sleeping units for those long nights... *humor

Keep up the good work. I feel blessed to have been a part of such a great company.

A smart, close-knit group of innovators in the financial technology space doing meaningful work.

I have been working at LOYAL3 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong culture of integrity, innovation and interdependence. Fun atmosphere, with a good (and healthy) mix of startup energy, growth challenges (which we adapt well to) and constant innovation. Colleagues that respect each other and know how to have fun, while working hard. A culture of learning. A culture of doing the right thing, while helping to bring investment access to millions of Americans.

Cons

This is a startup, so there are times when we show up early in the morning or stay late at night. But no one tells us to do that, we do it because we want to. Of course, that is something endemic to startups.

We appreciate the growing number of perks being given to us (organic fruits, cold-pressed juices, Dolores Park resting room with couch, etc.). I think small things like that mean a lot to us.

Nothing short of amazing...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LOYAL3 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Authentic "start-up" culture
    - Bright and intelligent staff
    - High growth and disruptive business model
    - Great employee compensation and benefits package
    - Beautiful office space(s)
    - Free snacks (coffee/tea, red bull, soda, juice, KIND bars, sun chips, Kashi bars, trail mix, etc...)
    - Casual dress code (my personal favorite)

Cons

- Open office layout, makes it hard to tune out and focus
    - If you're not a self starter, the lack of micromanagement can be difficult to handle
    - No more Blue Bottle coffee

Keep up the good work...

Great company to work with

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LOYAL3 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

cooperative and happy co-workers, work-life balance, peers willing to help and mentor others

Cons

Not enough office space, feel a bit cramped

Great culture, challenging learning environment with big rewards

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LOYAL3 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Out of all the places I've worked, the company culture at LOYAL3 is by far the best. As cliche as it sounds, I really do feel like I'm working with friends every day. Like any office culture, there are ebbs and flows but the ebbs are few. The technical expectations are challenging and encompass all aspects of the development lifecycle given that all engineers are encouraged to be proficient in full stack development. The engineers at LOYAL3 are some of the smartest people I’ve ever worked with. The challenge is there if you're willing to find it, own it and run with it.

Cons

If you come from a traditional engineering environment where your path is clearly laid out for you, integrating into LOYAL3 can be a bit jarring. Again, the challenge is there if you're willing to find it, own it and run with it. Success at LOYAL3 depends on how assertive you're willing to be.

Every employee has their own unique trajectory and set of skills they want to build.

Great Company Culture

Current Employee - Executive Assistant and Office Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant and Office Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LOYAL3 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's like working with family or your closest friends. Recruiting does an excellent job of picking quality people: bright, creative, fun, and energetic. Also we are a diverse mix that you don't usually have the opportunity to find in most companies. Engineering, finance and creative teams could all be working on the same project together.

Cons

There isn't a tremendous opportunity for growth. Actually it's confusing how advancement takes place. Advancement does happen, but management doesn't let you know how that opportunity could be yours, even if it's something you are clearly interested in doing.

Bring in someone on the executive level who can implement strategy for employee growth potential as well as employee retention.

Great coworkers and inexperienced upper management.

Current Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LOYAL3 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, good office location, decent work-life balance.
    Kitchen stocked with all kind of snacks, drinks and healthy breakfast ingredients.

Cons

Unpredictable promotions that often have no professional basis.
    Boring Monday morning meetings.
    Engineering on-boarding process is challenging, with no ownership.

Fill in the gap of strong leadership.
    Retain knowledgeable, hardworking people.