LRN

Be The First To
Add Photos

LRN Chairman and CEO Dov L. Seidman

Dov L. Seidman

Pros
  • comfortable work timings, work from home option, decent office space (in 5 reviews)

• Excellent work-life balance and culture (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Preach flatness but there is still the feeling of top down decision making (in 8 reviews)

• There cannot be a self-governing culture if there is fear and there is (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights
29 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great colleagues, great mission, but be careful not to say the wrong thing

Developer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsAmazing to work with so many intelligent and good people. London, LA and NY locations are all in great areas. Working towards a goal of inspiring ethical performance - who doesn't want to steer people towards ethical actions? And you are working on the best eLearning courses in the business.

ConsPrivate company with a mercurial owner who is too easy to anger and too unreasonable when angry.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is the sole owner and he is honestly trying to do good in the world. He needs to take a step back and understand that shaming people is only going to shrink his company's value, not grow it. He needs to let his colleagues help him achieve what he wants to achieve instead of dismissing them and yelling at them. Despite this, he has a good heart and wants to change the world, but his anger is his Achilles heel and it's already cost him tens of millions as the company has shrunk by over half its size since I left it, a period in which its competitors have all grown exponentially.

Hypocrisy at it's best!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat people to work with who are away from the CEO
    The list of Pros stops here.

ConsLong Hours
    CEO holds unlimited expectations from employees
    Dictatorship environment
    Revolving door at every position

Advice to Senior ManagementStop this "flat" nonsense and get back to reality!
    Hierarchy is trickled down from the CEO onto everyone else.

Beware - this company is full of hypocrisy

NONE (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe people you work with are great - LRN manages to attract some of the best talent based on its promise of doing good in the world. However, that's where the positive end.

ConsIt's ironic that LRN preaches ethical corporate culture and actually makes its money off it, yet the internal culture and 'people' policies are the worst of any company I've worked at. The 'flat' structure leads to chaos, disorder, and shuts down any possibility of progress and career development.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge the hypocrisy. And then start to fix it. Get the CEO into a 'figurehead' role and out of the day-to-day management of the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Designer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosleadership, flexible work schedule, easy going environment

Conshigh turnover rate, leadership could have been better

A Philosophy that the world needs

Leader (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsLRN is a company that is really trying to help companies become more successful and sustainable. They do this through a focus on culture and behavior, but blend that with a real focus on education and knowledge of legal and compliance issues. Inside the company, its a flat organization with lots of freedom for employees to get involved in lots of interesting work. Comfortable office space, flexible hours and work styles, and really great people across the company make it a very enjoyable place to work. The work is intellectually challenging and very rewarding. By and large the people that work there are very smart, very experienced, diverse and very welcoming.

ConsThe company has pursued "flat" and "self-governance" radically but has not yet addressed some of the issues created by a lack of hierarchy, specifically around decision making. Get that right and the company will really hum.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove to make decisions more quickly.

Unlimited opportunities to innovate, collaborate and learn while pursuing a meaningful mission

Business Development Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- The mission and philosophy
    - Smart and engaged colleagues
    - Trust
    - A truly global firm
    - Diversity
    - Support from senior leadership
    - Flexibility
    - Transparency

ConsRoles/functions are not always clear
    No formal orientation process
    With a flat organizational structure it is harder to have clear career advancement path

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop career advancement programs
    To better organize and describe roles and duties

If not for the CEO

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsCompany wants to be different than your everyday Compliance shop. Wants to be the best. High End. Different. All about the CEOs amazing insight and expertise. Wants to really impact people and performance of firms.

ConsThe CEO is just nuts and not capable of leading the firm. Due to him investors, staff, top management, have left for several years now. Whats left of the firm is a shell to support the CEO's last effforts to becomes a ceo celebrity. Whats left of the staff are people who will agree to the CEO's every last whim.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. You took from the business to go after your own personal success and as a result you went from first in the space to laughed at and not noticed.

I feel truly fortunate that I get to come to work at LRN everyday.

Solutions (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe work I do is stimulating and important. We're trying to do things that have never been done well before and they can have a profound impact on the world we live in.

The company is ambitious and playing at the highest levels. I have opportunity to connect with movers and shakers around the globe.

Most days I learn something new. What we do is inherently complex. It requires we think broadly about the world and how it works, and continue to learn new things. We operate across a broad spectrum of ideas, activities and relationships. We need to understand the connect points.

I'm growing professionally. There are no boxes at LRN. Influence evolves out of your behavior. Each day I have opportunities both to practice my leadership skills and take on new responsibilities. Where I see problems, I feel empowered to make suggestions, collaborate with colleagues and get them fixed.

My colleagues are kind, supportive and decent people. They're committed to living in a moral and ethical world. They have diverse backgrounds and experiences. They want each other and the company to succeed.

The office space is amazing, the snacks generous and the coffee plentiful.

ConsThe company is evolving. It's shifting its business model and operating structure. It's making changes in its talent. There are some growing pains as it works through the process. You have to come to the table ready to contribute, willing to experiment and wanting to be part of building something exceptional.

There are easier ways to make more money. As a mission driven organization, compensation is below market.

Standards can be quite high. You have to have character and thick skin, and be willing to take criticism as an opportunity for growth. And, you need the self-confidence to throw yourself into the conversation.

I enjoyed and was pushed out and it was the right time to go.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWell today I cant think of any - but back in time one could make quite a large amount of money being a part of an E Learning firm that focused on a niche market - E&C.
    Benefits are better than at competitive firms. These guys still match the 401k!
    The office location is nice

ConsOK so here's what happened - the company was fairly large and in charge at one time aprox 2007 BD (Before Dov). The firm had a robust mgnt team and was really well built out - global - good people at all locations, Solid LMS And good courses. But CEO decided the firm should be about his goals, his books and his mission and so anyone who viewed the company as a product company was gone. In one year 60 people were let go nicely and then over the next couple years another 100 or so left on their own. People were pushed out either by reduction in comp or just pushed out by their manager. Anyone who just wanted to have a job and work hard was let go...Instead of product meetings we had meetings about the CEOs book. Instead of being judged at all on performance it was now all based upon supporting the CEO - tweet his name...facebook links to is book etc. And that trend continues today - those that work at the firm today support the CEO, his book, and his mission and really don't understand anything about helping Ethics and Compliance professionals lead companies. Because this firm isn't about its customers or products...just about its CEO and his book.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Not looking so great for LRN...

Business Development Executive (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey own GreenOrder and GreenOrder still has a few amazing folks trying to do amazing work. Advisory services to top CEOs who want to be ahead in environmental innovation. Also, the chaotic/unstructured environment could potentially generate opportunities for self-starters to try to develop and implement their own initiatives, grow their responsibilities, etc. However, as soon as you start developing passion for one thing, its likely to get shut down later on given a very skewed vision that sr. leadership might have of how the world works and how LRN fits in.

ConsLeadership just does not get it. They have tried to dissolve the GO brand after acquiring it (people are told not to use it internally, and talk about themselves as LRN Advisory services) when the most valuable thing they acquired was the brand, people, and relationships. GO people are leaving unfortunately, and a great culture and community is being dissolved and mashed up with the LRN culture which is simply less genuine, authentic, or inspiring.

LRN also does not have its house in order. Unclear how new business is being developed or how they are innovating their product as technology evolves (e..g, mobile & tablet education). Leadership does not get it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the board, not to management: Change quickly. Loose the dogma. Remove Dov, do not confuse founders with managers/leaders. The cultish How/Frameworks/Forced Readings is killing innovation and morale. Sell GreenOrder and let them recover their traditional culture, or let them hold on to what they have before everyone is out. Also, drink your own kool-aid if you want people to follow you.

Worked for LRN? Contribute to the Community!