LRN

Be The First To
Add Photos

LRN Chairman and CEO Dov L. Seidman

Dov L. Seidman

Pros:
  • "Blackberry and laptop guys have great advantage of flexible timings and save their leaves as: work from home"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Excellent work-life balance and culture"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "The EC and CEO struggles with even basic operational decision-making"
    in 8 reviews
  • "There cannot be a self-governing culture if there is fear and there is"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great colleagues, great mission, but be careful not to say the wrong thing

Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at LRN full-time for more than a year

ProsAmazing to work with so many intelligent and good people. London, LA and NY locations are all in great areas. Working towards a goal of inspiring ethical performance - who doesn't want to steer people towards ethical actions? And you are working on the best eLearning courses in the business.

ConsPrivate company with a mercurial owner who is too easy to anger and too unreasonable when angry.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is the sole owner and he is honestly trying to do good in the world. He needs to take a step back and understand that shaming people is only going to shrink his company's value, not grow it. He needs to let his colleagues help him achieve what he wants to achieve instead of dismissing them and yelling at them. Despite this, he has a good heart and wants to change the world, but his anger is his Achilles heel and it's already cost him tens of millions as the company has shrunk by over half its size since I left it, a period in which its competitors have all grown exponentially.

Hypocrisy at it's best!

I worked at LRN full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people to work with who are away from the CEO
The list of Pros stops here.

ConsLong Hours
CEO holds unlimited expectations from employees
Dictatorship environment
Revolving door at every position

Advice to Senior ManagementStop this "flat" nonsense and get back to reality!
Hierarchy is trickled down from the CEO onto everyone else.

Designer

New York, NY

I worked at LRN as a contractor for more than a year

Prosleadership, flexible work schedule, easy going environment

Conshigh turnover rate, leadership could have been better

Smoke and mirrors.

I have been working at LRN full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice office location near Central Park

ConsUnless sanctioned by ceo/chairman, it doesn't happen. Some kids never grow out of that bully mode.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pressuring web site management to remove negative reviews and identify authors. Stop fabricating positive reviews when that fails.

Beware - this company is full of hypocrisy

None (Former Employee)

I worked at LRN full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people you work with are great - LRN manages to attract some of the best talent based on its promise of doing good in the world. However, that's where the positive end.

ConsIt's ironic that LRN preaches ethical corporate culture and actually makes its money off it, yet the internal culture and 'people' policies are the worst of any company I've worked at. The 'flat' structure leads to chaos, disorder, and shuts down any possibility of progress and career development.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge the hypocrisy. And then start to fix it. Get the CEO into a 'figurehead' role and out of the day-to-day management of the company.

CEO keeps this firm from moving forward

I worked at LRN full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany has a point of view which does well with some..and tends to make selling the solution easier
Was a market leader back in 2000's
Nice office locations and good technology
Nice colleagues

ConsThe ceo holds the company tight and has passed up a gazillion opportunities to grow the business. There is no focus at the firm other than promoting the CEO and his ideas and book. He really has sacrificed the business for his own ego. Colleagues play games and the ones that keep the CEO happy do well - others leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the ceo a figure head and not a leader.

A Philosophy that the world needs

Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at LRN full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLRN is a company that is really trying to help companies become more successful and sustainable. They do this through a focus on culture and behavior, but blend that with a real focus on education and knowledge of legal and compliance issues. Inside the company, its a flat organization with lots of freedom for employees to get involved in lots of interesting work. Comfortable office space, flexible hours and work styles, and really great people across the company make it a very enjoyable place to work. The work is intellectually challenging and very rewarding. By and large the people that work there are very smart, very experienced, diverse and very welcoming.

ConsThe company has pursued "flat" and "self-governance" radically but has not yet addressed some of the issues created by a lack of hierarchy, specifically around decision making. Get that right and the company will really hum.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove to make decisions more quickly.

You can't fool all the people all the time.

Senior Director (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at LRN full-time for less than a year

ProsNice offices, cool furniture, good location.

ConsMartinet, Nixonian CEO who is devoid of the values he touts.
Revolving door of staff, especially at the more senior levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hide behind your "journey" as the justification for your all too frequent mistakes, abusive treatment of employees, and cult like pursuit of your "enemies".

The philosophy that I can't get

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at LRN full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat people to work with in nice offices. I am glad that I don't have to work directly with CEO so I did have a good time there with a group of great employee.

ConsNo career development and payed with under market value even your responsibilities scaled up a lot. There is a high turn over rate and it is hard for the company to keep its employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverybody talks about mission in the company, but I do think the first thing is people, then the mission. Probably you can think of hiring Marissa Mayer to run the company if she wants to.

Galactic Empire w/ Darth Vader as CEO

I worked at LRN

ProsGlobal reach / exposure
Nice offices w/ great tech

ConsCEO addicted to genuflection by employees no matter what their level/background
Working here feels like you're doing something bad for the world; in the fiction, the Empire also had great ideas and novelty, as does LRN, like the Death Star.
More toxic than average corp environment

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany will do fine as long as people continue to appease. Financials seem OK.

Worked for LRN? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LRN reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for LRN CEO Dov L. Seidman. All 137 reviews posted anonymously by LRN employees.