LRP Publications

Updated Jan 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kenneth Kahn

This is a great place to work!

I have been working at LRP Publications full-time for more than a year

ProsI have been working at LRP for only a few years, but I am very happy with my decision to work here. The people are extremely nice and the office is in a great area with a park and shopping close by. The work is challenging, but the company has a good perspective on the work life balance and is very family friendly in that regard. Contrary to other places I have worked, the managers and upper management are very approachable. The company does some fun stuff too, like a hotdog & chili cookout and a tea social, etc. Nothing extravagant, but very fun and a nice break from the work day. Looking at the economy and what other employers are doing to their workforces by reducing hours or benefits, I am very happy with my decision to work for LRP!

ConsThe company is kind of departmentalized, so it can be tough to meet people in the other departments. I like the people in my department, so it's not too much of an issue. It would be nice to have a Christmas party for the whole company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. From what I know, the company is financially strong and has a broadly diversified product line, which is comforting to know! The employee events are great and the newsletter has been a step in the right direction.

Do not work here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at LRP Publications full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood hours and no weekends.

ConsBad Management. Nepotism runs all over the place. If you are on the inside you are fine. Managers belittle you for mistakes, yell at you and generally make you feel bad for honest mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind new Upper Managers who know how to care for employees and development.

Why did I take this job???

I have been working at LRP Publications full-time for more than a year

ProsThe attire is casual. Even the owner wears jeans and tennis shoes. Work hours are flexible. The Florida office is in a nice location.

ConsI truly regret taking this job/working here. I didn't look around enough before accepting their offer and now I'm stuck in a place where they created policies based on the lowest common denominator. Not for managing a large company, but as if it were a small insurance office of under 10 employees. The recent (glowing) reviews on here with 4 or more stars are from current employees forced to write positive reviews by their managers! Fortunately, LRP can't erase earlier (true) reviews that paint the real picture. Future Employee Beware: Pursue every other reasonable opportunity!

Relaxed work environment; room for growth; stable, growing company

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at LRP Publications full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRelaxed work environment & dress code; stable, growing company; ample amount of paid time off; good work schedule -- they encourage work/life balance and scheduling changes are always accomodated; great training provided.

Structure and stability of a big company, with the personal qualities of a small business; employees often have the opportunity to deal directly with upper managerment.

If you're looking to do the bare minimum to get by, this isn't the place for you. They value hard-working, ambitious employees, as seen by the impressive number of employees that have been with the organization for 10-20+ years.

Like others have said, there are a few family members that work in upper managment (it IS a family-owned business), but I have never encountered any issues with this.

ConsCamaraderie between employees, and especially between departments, is lacking (though it seems better within certain departments).

Advice to Senior ManagementThey could work on the company culture, and do more to increase employee interaction and camaraderie (via company-sponsored events).

LRPlease don't make me work there ever again!

Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at LRP Publications full-time

ProsYou rarely, if ever, work weekends. Hours are typically Monday through Friday, first shift. Pay is fair. Benefits are decent.

ConsBrown-nosing is rewarded, while hard work, talent and innovation are ignored. You are treated like a second-class citizen, unless you are a friend, relative or superb apple-polisher. Technology is outdated. There is no professional development or room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership at the very top is the cause of employee turnover. Check your egos at the door and show your employees some professional courtesy, let alone human decency. Respect is a two-way street.

Extremely happy to be here!

Horsham, PA

I have been working at LRP Publications full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPlenty of paid time off, casual dress, friendly people, good salary, company stability.

LRP is highly respected in its field. I speak to customers every day and they are thrilled with LRP's products. I love working for a company that understands its customers and continues to enhance its products. LRP is recognized as a leader in its market. The owner is a smart businessman who anticipates trends in both the economy and the market and makes decisions to keep LRP stable in a time when so many other companies are failing.

I came to work for LRP at a pretty basic level. With time, experience, coaching from my supervisor, and a strong work ethic, I was given opportunities for advancement and am now at a level that I may not have reached anywhere else.

My experience is that people who are willing to work and willing to learn will do well. The negative attitudes expressed in some of the other reviews will do nothing to help you succed in this company. However, hard work and a positive attitude can take you far. Every company has guidelines to be followed and I have found LRPs to be fair, with a good reason behind each "rule".

This company has been around for more than 35 years and is still going strong. That says a lot and I am extremely happy to be a part of it!

ConsCamaraderie between employees and especially between departments is sometimes lacking, however some departments have made an effort to interact more. Great ideas for an improved work environment are often discussed, but sometimes pushed to the side - if for no other reason than everyone just gets busy. I think most employees would like to see more company-sponsored events and/or employee recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to make the decisions that keep LRP strong, but perhaps some decisions can be better explained to employees. When a change occurs, people sometimes have theories on the reasoning behind it. Anticipate the tendency to speculate and share as much as is reasonable in order to keep incorrect assumptions to a minimum.

Great opportunities with an ever-evolving company

I have been working at LRP Publications full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFlexible work schedule, paid time off, lots of opportunity for cross-training and development, casual dress

I have worked at LRP for almost ten years and work with people at all levels within the company. I heard about glassdoor.com from a peer and decided to check it out. I think a person’s attitude has a significant impact on how they view their job. Life is not about what happens to us, but how we respond to it. I have been given a lot of responsibilities while working at LRP, which I viewed as an opportunity for growth. I have worked hard, and my career has progressed as a result. While others complain about pay and feedback to their suggestions, I find it rewarding to work for a company that, despite the economy, has continued to grow its products to meet its customers’ needs while continuing to be profitable. The owner of the company has made decisions for his business that have enabled the company to continue to grow, expand its product lines, and remain an industry leader. I recognize the fact that many companies have had to stop pay increases, stop retirement plan contributions, drop health plans, stop hiring, and even reduce pay rates. I am thankful that I work for a company that has not had to do these things to remain successful in this economy and look forward to the opportunity to work hard and continue to grow in my career.

ConsThe company could benefit from more employee recognition activities and expanded use of social media outlets.

A great place to work if you are serious about your career and have intrinsic motivation!

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at LRP Publications full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI have been working at LRP Publications for many years in the Palm Beach Gardens office location. I can tell you that the negative reviews on this site in no way accurately reflect my experience working at LRP. LRP is a relatively small company that was established over 30 years ago and competes in a number of large media markets. It has broadly diversified products - everything from newsletters to magazines, conferences, on-line portals, on-line training and videos, etc. Most of the people that work here like working here because they have a fair degree of autonomy as the company is not filled with micro-managers. Because of that, you need to have a certain level of intrinsic motivation to do your job well and create opportunities for yourself if you want to excel here. You do need to perform - it is a job after all! I believe the negative reviews are from the type of people who couldn't handle autonomy and were looking for a lot of hand-holding and got themselves diverted by superfluous issues that exist in every office. Another pro about LRP is that it is not a bureaucracy. Most employees have access to and work with upper level managers, directors and even the owner himself. Most of the employees are friendly and many employees have worked at LRP for a long time.

ConsIt is a relatively flat organization so the opportunities for promotion can be limited in some jobs. Management can be conservative at times. Not many perks.

Advice to Senior ManagementLRP probably should pay more attention to social media sites like this to ensure that the company and its employees are accurately represented.

Don't recommend working here !

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at LRP Publications full-time for more than a year

ProsWork schedule - paid time off - pay was ok

ConsI completely agree with all the other poor reviews. Horrible work environment - they monitor everything, phone, email, Internet. Lots of rules and regulations that seemed to change often. Company owned by a lawyer. Building is quiet like a library, almost no interaction with other departments. Outdated computers and software so they are not able to keep up with competition. You must be in the "circle" to be safe. No room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better managers. Stop constantly canceling or rescheduling meetings. Need better training. Stop using generic training material printed off Internet using google. Leadership was lacking.

Where bad leaders lead badly

Writer, Editor (Former Employee)

I worked at LRP Publications full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay for the job

ConsBackstabbing by senior management is the rule, not the exception
Management by remote control, e-mails in all caps, and yelled phone calls
Browbeating of staff by distant management was common
Editors & managers (at HQ) lack understanding of issues field staff work on, and don't seem to care much
Business model for publications is bizarre. No one can afford to read it!

Worked for LRP Publications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LRP Publications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for LRP Publications CEO Kenneth Kahn. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by LRP Publications employees.