LRP Publications

2.5

Kenneth Kahn

A Good Place to Work

I have been working at LRP Publications full-time

Pros

Professional and casual work environment - nice people. Excellent work like balance. Solid and stable company. Interesting to see all the negative reviews here - every company has it's challenges. Who do you know that works for the perfect company? The sad part is these reviews come from disgruntled sales people who sold themselves to the company on the fact that they had drive, determination and a solid work ethic. They expected orders to fall into their laps and were unwilling to put in the time and effort to create business. You can't make money on 30 calls a day and you can't get better when you don't care. Successful people here keep their heads down and don't care about being in the social groups and planning what's for lunch every day. They are here to work and make money for their families.

Cons

Not enough of any one thing to mention - again every company has it's challenges.

Stay the course and you'll find good people who care and want to make money. They are out there just few and far between.

UNREALISTIC QUOTA! HIGH STRESS! LOW PAY!

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Horsham, PA

I worked at LRP Publications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Casual attire. Flexible hours. Supportive mid to senior level sales colleagues who will understand you when you realize how poorly the department is run. Many sales reps come with undergraduate and graduate degrees with years of business, sales and life experience. Very little turnover in every other department but telesales. The Magazine department has sales but you never see turnover. They are happy and content in their position. Every other department in the Horsham, PA office seems to be managed with efficiency and a positive culture. If you choose this company make sure the department is not telesales in the Education and Federal Department.

Cons

For those considering the telesales/inside sales position with this company in Florida or Pennsylvania in Education or Federal sales please know that these negative reviews are not from disgruntled employees. They are from disappointed and disillusioned employees who were lied to in the interview process and sold a bill of goods. No one is looking for the perfect company. We are smart enough to know that perfect does not exist. It is interesting that it has been stated we were hired based on what we sold the company: "drive, determination, and a solid work ethic." Yet, we chose this company over other offers on what you "sold" us; a potential for a high income and good living for our families. If we are not what we say we are on paper and in 2 interviews then maybe your hiring team has failed you. Perhaps it is good and ethical companies that are few and far between. Turn over is great because the department insists on unreachable goals that only a small percentage achieve on a monthly basis due to disproportionately splitting the territory in Education sales. The Federal government has a cycle of spending that is not taken into consideration. So the sales people suffer with a commission plan that continues to drop each quarter. In Education sales you will have the same quota as the TWO reps in Pennsylvania with the most territory and the top 500 districts including your districts. We understand that hard work yields great reward. But at LRP you will soon learn that hard work yields little return and they play to their two favorites in Education sales in the Horsham, PA office. Once hired is when you see that the commission structure comprises pages of legalese that will continue to lower your commission percentage until the vast majority make 4%. It will be one of the most complicated commission structures you will ever read that will cater to the wallet of the owner. The kicker is he makes his money on the renewals of your sales. You will not see a dime. And if that is not greed enough; 96% of your initial sales in most cases will go to him. Management has the best jobs due to lack of accountability. Their teams continue to turn over without the root of the problem ever being addressed or fixed. And REALLY are we being judged for good camaraderie with our fellow colleagues when we dine together on our unpaid lunch hour?

DO SOMETHING. Stop being on the internet or phones looking at dogs to rescue. We walk by your cubicles and see you online and your cell phone, The joke is the lowest paid people (sales) with the high quota and turn over has the least respect while the managers, trainers and sales administrative people shop online, look at rescue dogs, and spend their day talking about the latest television shows and the "drama" of their lives. I

Terrible Sales Department

I worked at LRP Publications

Pros

Casual attire. Decent salary. Somewhat flexible hours. Friendly colleagues

Cons

Largest turn over I have ever seen in a so called respectable company. They offer a 40,000 base and tell you you can make 6 figures. Two people in Education Sales make that kind of money because they have the largest territories. Everyone else in that department have been fired. Federal Sales once had a sales rep making good money but also had the largest territory. When their territory was realigned they retired. The one and only person ever to retire. And after 18 years of service and hundreds of thousands in new and repeat business they gave her 18 roses and cupcakes! Ha! You will be fired within a year, quit or on a PIP repeatedly due to unrealistic sales goals. The owner will make his money on the renewals of your sales and does not care if he throws 40K at you only to fire you within a year. He will make his money on the residuals from your sales for the next 20 plus years. You will not be supported by your managers. They want to keep their cushy jobs. They sit in their cubes, stare at their computers, surf the internet or their smart phones. We in sales have witnessed it. Managers before them were fired for speaking their mind to the Sales Director or quit because of the culture and condition of this company. The insurance deductible is $2400. You have to bring your own K-cup for coffee or buy it from them. Be grateful for a $50 contest. You may not see that gift card for months! Outdated phones, computers, and company database. You will go backwards stepping back in time and will not advance your skills. RUN unless you want to live in a company at least a decade behind.

Care about your team. Acknowledge the BS. Care more about your team then yourself. The manager in FL is clueless about managing a sales team. The Education manager in PA just nods and smiles. Fed sales manager you are on your swan song and cares only for yourself

Absolutely the worst job I've ever had. Do not apply here or believe any positive reviews.They were asked to submit them

I worked at LRP Publications

Pros

The only pro to working here is that you get paid and offered a lousy medical plan.

Cons

NO job stability. Everyone is paranoid about getting fired and walks around like they're in a coma.Your computer, if you have internet access, is monitored. Management is done by non-skilled personnel. No room for advancement. A very menial job.The owner and his family don't care about staff or appreciate hard work and dedication. Not proud to say I was employed there.

If you are a manager in any of the departments, get some training on proper management skills.
    Upper management, treat employees with respect and give positive feedback rather than constantly putting everyone down and treating them like 2nd class citizens.

Worst sales position I have ever had

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Horsham, PA

I worked at LRP Publications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No weekends, decent base salary

Cons

Anyone taking a sales job at this company will be let go within a year. Impossible goals that no one makes. Rep turn over is constant and although they may tell you that they don't "turn and burn" reps, they absolutely do. Almost all of the management are empty suits who do not care about anyone but themselves. 14 reps have been let go in one year out of the Horsham office.

Think about the people you are hiring and restructure your goals. If no one hits them you are either hiring all the wrong people or your expectations are unreasonable.

This was the WORST sales job I have ever had

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Horsham, PA

I worked at LRP Publications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

your fellow employees who are under management are good people to work with. The products are good but it's over 80% residual sales you get no credit/money for

Cons

Compensation is terrible, they tell you in your interview about the one successful sales employee and make it seem like everyone can achieve these numbers; while in truth, they are unobtainable or reachable. Your base salary is about what you make in the first year (if you make it that long). Benefits are not good at all, you are essentially paying deductibles the whole year. Management is AWFUL, and when I mean AWFUL, I mean AWFUL. They do nothing to help you succeed, they sit at their desk and shop for golf clubs all day. The training is non-existent, they throw you in a room for initial training and have you read some documents. No dedicated trainers for the new hires, while the managers try and assist but they really do nothing. Back to the managers; The managers care so much about their own job that their puppets and do not stand up or help their respected "teams". It's pretty sad, the products are decent but it's a revolving door, sales people are essentially marketers keeping the product in the consumers ears. Although each sales person would never mention anything to their managers in fear of their positions, they almost all feel the same way. The moment you stand up for yourself and try to better yourself, you're as good as toast (I SAW MANY WALK OUT THE DOOR). Trust me when I say, this is a dead end job! While interviewing ask about residuals (none) and also ask about any opportunity for advancement (none). Ask if any one person has ever been promoted from the sales team and they will either lie or tell you the truth, NO! I hope this helps you and your future, I should've listened to the previous reviews before I took the position. Best of luck in your future endeavors, trust me when I say that it can not get much worse than this.

Do something, stop telling people what to do and SHOW them. Stop acting like you can't do anything to help the team and SHOW that you care and at least try. Stop sitting at your desks browsing the internet while the rest of us are busting our butts, and take some time to look into what each team member is doing. Let's be honest, if you have no idea what deals are in the pipeline and what is going on, what are you doing every day? Just because your miserable, don't make everyone else. I hope they take a good look at what managers are doing in the future and put some of the responsibility/accountability on their shoulders for once. Why is it they can sit at their desks all day and twiddle their thumbs working on miscellaneous unproductive contests. Make them work for once!

This is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at LRP Publications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been working at LRP for only a few years, but I am very happy with my decision to work here. The people are extremely nice and the office is in a great area with a park and shopping close by. The work is challenging, but the company has a good perspective on the work life balance and is very family friendly in that regard. Contrary to other places I have worked, the managers and upper management are very approachable. The company does some fun stuff too, like a hotdog & chili cookout and a tea social, etc. Nothing extravagant, but very fun and a nice break from the work day. Looking at the economy and what other employers are doing to their workforces by reducing hours or benefits, I am very happy with my decision to work for LRP!

Cons

The company is kind of departmentalized, so it can be tough to meet people in the other departments. I like the people in my department, so it's not too much of an issue. It would be nice to have a Christmas party for the whole company.

Keep doing what you are doing. From what I know, the company is financially strong and has a broadly diversified product line, which is comforting to know! The employee events are great and the newsletter has been a step in the right direction.

Do not work here

I worked at LRP Publications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good hours and no weekends.

Cons

Bad Management. Nepotism runs all over the place. If you are on the inside you are fine. Managers belittle you for mistakes, yell at you and generally make you feel bad for honest mistakes.

Find new Upper Managers who know how to care for employees and development.

Why did I take this job???

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at LRP Publications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The attire is casual. Even the owner wears jeans and tennis shoes. Work hours are flexible. The Florida office is in a nice location.

Cons

I truly regret taking this job/working here. I didn't look around enough before accepting their offer and now I'm stuck in a place where they created policies based on the lowest common denominator. Not for managing a large company, but as if it were a small insurance office of under 10 employees. The recent (glowing) reviews on here with 4 or more stars are from current employees forced to write positive reviews by their managers! Fortunately, LRP can't erase earlier (true) reviews that paint the real picture. Future Employee Beware: Pursue every other reasonable opportunity!

Relaxed work environment; room for growth; stable, growing company

Current Employee - Manager in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at LRP Publications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed work environment & dress code; stable, growing company; ample amount of paid time off; good work schedule -- they encourage work/life balance and scheduling changes are always accomodated; great training provided.

Structure and stability of a big company, with the personal qualities of a small business; employees often have the opportunity to deal directly with upper managerment.

If you're looking to do the bare minimum to get by, this isn't the place for you. They value hard-working, ambitious employees, as seen by the impressive number of employees that have been with the organization for 10-20+ years.

Like others have said, there are a few family members that work in upper managment (it IS a family-owned business), but I have never encountered any issues with this.

Cons

Camaraderie between employees, and especially between departments, is lacking (though it seems better within certain departments).

They could work on the company culture, and do more to increase employee interaction and camaraderie (via company-sponsored events).