LSI

Updated Jun 21, 2014

LSI President and CEO of Avago Technologies Hock E. Tan

Hock E. Tan

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

LSI Corporation, before it was acquired by Avago Technologies in May 2014, was a great company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

ProsLSI offered good benefits. LSI has very talented employees; the most talented of all the companies I've worked with. Employees are willing to work with you. Despite its size, LSI was able to adjust to changes in the market and industry to stay competitive. Middle management is very accessible.

ConsSome groups lack organization and structure, which I think reduces their productivity. There is little communication between groups which causes some things to fall through the cracks. The "Cons" listed above were even more evident after the Avago acquisition. Avago business units seem to have little communication, let along coordination, between each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication and coordination between business units.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Exciting work with great people, but lacking upper management and leadership

ASIC Verification Engineer (Current Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

ProsFriendly co-workers and good work/family balance. Several senior engineers available for support and resource for knowledge. Benefits are pretty good.

ConsUpper management lacks leadership, vision, and direction. Constant changes in org, and pretty much everything else. Decisions made with little or no information.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to low level managers, they know more than upper managers.

Sleepy. Do not work for a remote office!

Principal Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

ProsMust say my fellow engineers and managers were nice.

ConsNo direction at all. You must be a self starter, and i would encourage you to work in Milpitas before going to any remote office.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime for new blood! Some of you have been there over 30 years.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working on bleeding edge technology with great engineers

ASIC Engineer (Current Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

Pros1. Experienced, yet down to earth engineers.
    2. Great atmosphere to learn.
    3. Good work life balance.

Cons1. Confused management.
    2. Wavering top level decisions.
    3. No innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Great place to work and learn from the experts in the storage industry.

ASIC Verification Engineer (Current Employee)

Pros1. Friendly colleagues.
    2. Opportunities to learn from experts.
    3. Work-life balance.

Cons1. Location is not great
    2. Training, employee encouragement
    3. Perks

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Anonymous

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

ProsLSI has strong leadership in storage technology.
    The work your involved will be leading the industry, and your co workers are very technical savvy.
    They promote that you expand your breadth into different areas.
    They have very good training program.
    Vacation is three weeks starting, then four weeks after five years. I believe the pay is consistent with its peers, and pay raises and reviews have occurred just about every year I been here.
    There is onsite cafeteria and gym+showers at my location.

ConsThere is a pending purchase of the company, so there is some uncertainly.
    Some managers are not technical savvy, and rely heavily on leads.
    Layoffs happen all the time, so you can't go into cruise control.
    The yearly reviews seemed to be scripted.
    You have to walk on water to get promoted past staff engineer.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed innovative thinking outside the box to come up with product which will grow company into expanding segment which is not already saturated.

Very good experience

Market Analyst (Current Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

ProsVery good work culture, good work life balance. Very friendly atmosphere. People are willing to take time out to answer questions if any. Overall a very good experience

Consthings are sometimes not as structured as you would think and needs a lot of initiation and development of methods to add structure to the organization.

Amazing Technical workforce!

Colorado Springs, CO

ProsA great company to work for someone looking to grow in a very technical focused career, Fellow employees are experts in the industry. Management supports, if not encourages, moving into different roles with the business unit. I believe compensation is on par with the industry.

ConsThere could be more better on-site benefits and improved infrastructure, since it kind of sucks (though there has been few updates recently). Performance appraisal is an eye wash and really needs a overall corporate wide.

Quality is an afterthought

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

ProsGood opportunity to work on many varied projects.

ConsDisconnect between management and engineering and between development and test. There are too many projects with too many engineers not having any dedicated focus. I would expect this from a small company or a startup, but not a medium company like LSI. Quality is an afterthought instead of a forethought (continuous integration, continuous deployment, developer driven unit testing, documented processes, and sane SCM are all alien to this company)

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more engineers and don't be afraid to end-of-life products. %80 of the lifetime of a product is in maintenance and debug, but you barely have enough engineers to work on current and new projects. When an employee wants to transfer to another group or division, let them know whether they will be considered and if not...what they need to work on. This is an internal transfer, not an outside hire. You should want to keep your employees and make them have diverse skills.

Good company to work for as a contractor, they pay sooo... good.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

ProsThe pay as a software engineer contractor was crazy!. I was clearing $2500.00 a week developing a bit of software for one of there raid controllers.

ConsDeadlines Deadlines Deadlines, they are extreme about deliverables here, so be prepaird to be under constant watch and presure.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease brush-up on your projected project completion times, because you way under shoot.

Worked for LSI? Contribute to the Community!

LSI Videos

LSI – Why Work for Us?

LSI is an Avago Technologies Company. Visit Careers at Avago for more information on our open positions. At Avago, our employee's passion is helping drive the communications revolution. Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LSI reviews and ratings in Colorado Springs, CO — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for LSI CEO Hock E. Tan . All 16 reviews posted anonymously by LSI employees.