LSU Health New Orleans Reviews

Reset
CEO

1. Very fair place to work

I have been working at LSU Health New Orleans

Pros

Everything about LSUHSC was a above average. The benefits are great and cost is low due to company size and being a state entity.

Cons

Very few cons as it comes down to which principal investigator you work for. Before deciding to accept a job in certain departments, make sure you determine how many of hours you are expected to work because some do require uncompensated work in a salary-based position. I suggest getting in writing and do accept verbal exchanges otherwise you would have no proof with Human Resources if you decide to file a complaint.

Advice to Management

None except there are some Department PIs who may not adhere to commonly accepted work practices.

2. Miserable Witches in H. R.!

Former Employee - Human Resources Analyst A in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Analyst A in New Orleans, LA

I worked at LSU Health New Orleans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting to help people become employed.

Cons

Very catty; the H.R. department is full of backstabbing, two faced liars. It's run by a bunch of women and a gew men who act like women. They are jealous hearted and hate to see two people being friends and getting along. It is a good thing that they are not in charge of the ACTUAL hiring and can only make suggestuons regarding the hire. The actual hiring is done by the individual department. The people in H.R. are the most miserable bunch of people I've ever encountered and they work hard at being messy. I hated my time with those bunch of "educated" losers.

Advice to Management

Review the number of complaints about the people working in H.R....you will never have good people working there if you have those losers in place. Fire everybody and start over.

3. state budget cuts will ruin your life

I have been working at LSU Health New Orleans full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice, friendly people. Opportunities for research, collaboration. Downtown-New Orleans area.

Cons

Beware: Since I have started working here, there have always been budget cut issues. Some years were worse than the others. We have not received any salary raise for 4+ years. Then, this January they gave a little raise, but immediately after that a state budget cut crisis followed. Unless you are a researcher with full funding from NIH, you are not safe here. Even the tenured faculty was scared that they may lose their jobs. Now everything is in control but I am sure another state budget cut crisis is on its way.

5. Exhilarating and them very disappointing due to lack of communication

Former Employee - Clinical Instructor Department of Psychiatry in New Orleans, LA

I worked at LSU Health New Orleans full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started working immediately in the aftermath of Katrina and found the job very exhilarating. I managed a grant program working in the schools throughout the metropolitan area doing assessments of children impacted by the storm. Later I was assigned to work collaboratively with the state and participated in the writing of several grants. Initially I felt the communication and camaraderie was exceptional and I was considered to be one of the hardest workers taking on any extra duties needed to get the job done. I worked collaboratively with many consultants whom I am still in connection with. They always felt I was exceptional in my organizational, clinical and program management skills and openly expressed they're satisfaction frequently

Cons

The culture of the department initially appeared to be one of welcoming and support. Every evaluation I received was rated as exceptional. Although as time went by I began noticing I was being excluded from meetings and conversations but, was never reprimanded for anything by my supervisor or the Department Chair. I unexpectedly received a letter informing me that my contract was not being renewed with the explanation being that there was no funding. At that time I was in the middle or working on a grant that would provide that funding.

Advice to Management

The office culture is one of superior support until you don't agree with upper management. Nothing is ever said about it but, you are slowly being excluded and given fewer and fewer responsibilities and then was unexpectedly terminated without having ever had a discussion regarding whatever dissatisfaction I caused. The management duo very poorly communicates what they are unhappy about and slowly pushes you out. To be fair it is imperative that ongoing lines of communication be maintained with faculty making them aware of any issues that are going on.

6. Good entry level

Current Employee - Research Associate II in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at LSU Health New Orleans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and Healthcare

Cons

No raises for certain staff. Better salaries for high levels and PhD/MDs

7. Stable employment with great benefits

Current Employee - Coordinator of Academic Area in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Coordinator of Academic Area in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at LSU Health New Orleans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working in the medical and educational industries allows for employment stability. The benefits offered are great in comparison to other large corporations. We are given the holidays off and the paid leave program allows for personal and sick time without infringing on your pay.

Cons

The starting salaries are low for most qualified applicants. The hiring process can take some time.

Advice to Management

The red tape can be exhausting and time consuming. Although necessary at times, there has to be a more efficient way to handle certain business forums.

8. Professional environment overall, but lack of support from State "powers that be".

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in New Orleans, LA

I worked at LSU Health New Orleans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Professional work environment, meaningful healthcare/education mission that impacts citizens of the state and nation; good employee benefits; large group of quality employees in workplace

Cons

State budget constraints and lack of consistent salary increases were difficult; lack of clearly communicated mission and vision from senior management; schools operated fairly independently with little sense of one LSUHSC

Advice to Management

Better communicate the mission and vision from the top down; Brand really suffers and needs help - local community constantly confuses the health sciences center and former charity hospital.

9. Challenging, productive

I worked at LSU Health New Orleans

Pros

I enjoyed working in a hospital and educational environment.

Cons

Have employees that are very apathetic towards their jobs. Just do not care.

10. Too many chiefs who do NOT listen

Former Employee - Support Analyst in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Support Analyst in New Orleans, LA

I worked at LSU Health New Orleans full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Had been a civil service job. Friendly employees. Good recovery from Katrina in 2005, although the landmark hospital, Charity, never reopened

Cons

No longer civil service, has been privatized. Management did not listen to underlings. They always "knew better" or did not need the feedback or information. Change was very slow.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They are the ones on the battlefront, which is often ignored, especially in planning stages.

11. Great Benefits, Enjoyable atmosphere

Current Employee - Research Associate II in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at LSU Health New Orleans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits can not be beat. The atmosphere is enjoyable. Great job to balance family and work.

Cons

Appears to be a lot of down time between case studies. Not enough of a challenging role. There is not any growth within the position.

RSS Feed </> Embed