LSUHSC Reviews

Updated August 11, 2014
Updated August 11, 2014

CEO

Exhilarating and them very disappointing due to lack of communication

Former Employee - Clinical Instructor Department of Psychiatry  in  New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Clinical Instructor Department of Psychiatry in New Orleans, LA

I worked at LSUHSC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I started working immediately in the aftermath of Katrina and found the job very exhilarating. I managed a grant program working in the schools throughout the metropolitan area doing assessments of children impacted by the storm. Later I was assigned to work collaboratively with the state and participated in the writing of several grants. Initially I felt the communication and camaraderie was exceptional and I was considered to be one of the hardest workers taking on any extra duties needed to get the job done. I worked collaboratively with many consultants whom I am still in connection with. They always felt I was exceptional in my organizational, clinical and program management skills and openly expressed they're satisfaction frequently

Cons

The culture of the department initially appeared to be one of welcoming and support. Every evaluation I received was rated as exceptional. Although as time went by I began noticing I was being excluded from meetings and conversations but, was never reprimanded for anything by my supervisor or the Department Chair. I unexpectedly received a letter informing me that my contract was not being renewed with the explanation being that there was no funding. At that time I was in the middle or working on a grant that would provide that funding.

The office culture is one of superior support until you don't agree with upper management. Nothing is ever said about it but, you are slowly being excluded and given fewer and fewer responsibilities and then was unexpectedly terminated without having ever had a discussion regarding whatever dissatisfaction I caused. The management duo very poorly communicates what they are unhappy about and slowly pushes you out. To be fair it is imperative that ongoing lines of communication be maintained with faculty making them aware of any issues that are going on.

Good entry level

Current Employee - Research Associate II  in  New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at LSUHSC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Benefits and Healthcare

Cons

No raises for certain staff. Better salaries for high levels and PhD/MDs

Stable employment with great benefits

Current Employee - Coordinator of Academic Area  in  New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Coordinator of Academic Area in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at LSUHSC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working in the medical and educational industries allows for employment stability. The benefits offered are great in comparison to other large corporations. We are given the holidays off and the paid leave program allows for personal and sick time without infringing on your pay.

Cons

The starting salaries are low for most qualified applicants. The hiring process can take some time.

The red tape can be exhausting and time consuming. Although necessary at times, there has to be a more efficient way to handle certain business forums.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Professional environment overall, but lack of support from State "powers that be".

Former Employee - Project Coordinator  in  New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in New Orleans, LA

I worked at LSUHSC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Professional work environment, meaningful healthcare/education mission that impacts citizens of the state and nation; good employee benefits; large group of quality employees in workplace

Cons

State budget constraints and lack of consistent salary increases were difficult; lack of clearly communicated mission and vision from senior management; schools operated fairly independently with little sense of one LSUHSC

Better communicate the mission and vision from the top down; Brand really suffers and needs help - local community constantly confuses the health sciences center and former charity hospital.

Challenging, productive

I worked at LSUHSC

Pros

I enjoyed working in a hospital and educational environment.

Cons

Have employees that are very apathetic towards their jobs. Just do not care.

Too many chiefs who do NOT listen

Former Employee - Support Analyst  in  New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Support Analyst in New Orleans, LA

I worked at LSUHSC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Had been a civil service job. Friendly employees. Good recovery from Katrina in 2005, although the landmark hospital, Charity, never reopened

Cons

No longer civil service, has been privatized. Management did not listen to underlings. They always "knew better" or did not need the feedback or information. Change was very slow.

Listen to your employees. They are the ones on the battlefront, which is often ignored, especially in planning stages.

Great Benefits, Enjoyable atmosphere

Current Employee - Research Associate II  in  New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at LSUHSC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits can not be beat. The atmosphere is enjoyable. Great job to balance family and work.

Cons

Appears to be a lot of down time between case studies. Not enough of a challenging role. There is not any growth within the position.

Unusual

I have been working at LSUHSC

Pros

Distance, location, reputation, knowledge, parking

Cons

Learning curve, expectations, training, support, assistantance

See cons.

I learned a lot but there is not room for advancement unless you kiss up to the managers.

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator  in  Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Shreveport, LA

I worked at LSUHSC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, and you get all the holidays off

Cons

We havent gotten a raise for the past 3 years and not getting one no time soon

teaching assistant

I worked at LSUHSC

Pros

very confortable workplace, low pace, great pay, work life balance

Cons

There is no much room to personal growth. It is not the place if you are high driven and want to learn more.

Worked for LSUHSC? Contribute to the Community!