LUSH North America Reviews

Reset
3.2
LUSH North America CEO & President Mark Wolverton
Mark Wolverton

Pros
  • Employees receive a 50% discount on purchases which is amazing (in 17 reviews)

• discounts to the amazing products (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is basically invisible (in 14 reviews)

• i learned a lot, had fun with both my managers and the other sales associates (in 14 reviews)

Amazing company, needs to trickle down company beliefs into stores

I worked at LUSH North America full-time

Pros

50% discount
    fun work atmosphere
    room for growth
    promotes from within
    amazing product
    paid vacation time/sick time

Cons

company doesn't listen much to employee feedback
    Company beliefs and practices not always adopted by managers
    Lack of direction at times

Advice to Management

Make sure your employees are happy and well trained, there is nothing worse than a stressed out employee trying to sell soap

2. Lush is a great company

I have been working at LUSH North America

Pros

Great manager and team, campaigns that i care about and are important, respect from coworkers and a very positive atmosphere, a great (50%) discount, i smell great after work.
    REAALLY good about breaks, when I work 8 hours I get two 15's paid and a half hour off time, but they space them well and will even fix times if they aren't spaced well.
    My store usually makes bonus at the end of the month as well.

Cons

General retail stuff: customers can be snobby and annoying at times.
    I don't get many hours in the summer (Slow time)
    Some coworkers don't do all the right opening/closing stuff so the rest of us have to do them during store hours.

Advice to Management

Give us a little more time at night to do closing stuff and opening in the morning. it doesn't all get done and then we have to do them during store hours.

3. Great place to work

I have been working at LUSH North America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-It's easy to take on new roles and learn new responsibilities
    -Dress code is relaxed, and you are allowed to be an individual
    -Better pay than most mall retail stores and ability to bonus as a team
    -Awesome Employee Discount
    -since you bonus as a team, no bad feelings happen between employees in regards to sales, we all help each other and "team sell"
    -lots of positive and constructive feedback on your performance so you always know how you're doing

Cons

-It can be hard to move into management if you are not hired as one, though not difficult to become a floor leader
    -Because this is a more relaxed environment, there can be "catiness" between individuals or cliques formed, and this largely goes unchecked

Advice to Management

For the most part, this company runs well. But there should be no room for management and employees to be unprofessional to one another. Internal employees should be allowed to apply for manager positions without being MIT first if their background qualifies them.

5. Customer service

I worked at LUSH North America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great discount 50%. Training before store opening was informative and fun. Great for high school or college students.

Cons

Once the store finally opened, we were informed that most of us would be let go. And then our manager was riding us like crazy. There would 6 people working the floor, and it is a very small store. Worst of all is the pay, i got extra for having experience,.and that was at,$7.50. It was very stressful for no money and i felt like i was being eliminated anyway due to the favoritism.

Advice to Management

You coulf start by paying more than minimum wage, if you want an employee to be available, pay them enough so they do not need another job.

6. Good, part-time employment

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at LUSH North America (More than a year)

Pros

Very good salary and was treated with respect and fairness. I appreciated the positive atmosphere and supportive system.

Cons

There were a few very political oriented campaigns, so you should feel comfortable around that environment for employment.

Advice to Management

Speak to employees with kindness and respect. Do not talk down upon employees when coaching sales. Not every sale can be a $32.00 sale.

7. Key Holder

I worked at LUSH North America part-time

Pros

This brand offers the most extensive training in all aspects of business: from product knowledge to branding, client engagement and client/staff management

Products of course are absolutely cream of the crop + free product boxes before launch

Funky, open spirited environment with great opportunity to move up the company

Cons

Compensation -
    the amount of knowledge and energy that goes into every sale deserves top tier pay

Advice to Management

There's really so much follow up with the employees which is amazing, more companies should adopt this practice; however, praise only goes so far and then it's time to promote!
    Promote from within, gives raises where due

Fun for a while, but it's definitely not worth it beyond seasonal.

Former Employee - Senior Sales Ambassador
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Ambassador

I worked at LUSH North America (More than a year)

Pros

- Challenging and good for those who tend to get bored in a retail setting. If you like having personal goals to try and meet every shift, it makes it more stimulating.

- There are always new campaigns and activities to focus on, so you never feel too stuck doing the exact same thing over and over.

- There's opportunity for growth, but only within the shop. It's very difficult to promote beyond leaving your shop and going into the actual company. So expect to plateau once you become a floor leader or manager. If that's your goal, though, you should have an okay journey there.

- You get to try out and interact with all the products in the shop.

- Christmas time is the best time to work there. There are tons of new products and many other new coworkers to get to know and team up with.

Cons

- Management is, more often than not, micromanaging and unprofessional. Several LUSH shops are run by pretentious hipsters that play favorites to the extreme and get off on nagging their struggling employees that need help. I've been both hated and loved at my time there, and both sides have a lot of pressure, but different types. I've interacted with several managers, and the atmosphere is very "Mean Girls". There is a definite management attitude culture within the company.

- YOU WILL HAVE TO TOUCH/SCRUB/MASSAGE PEOPLE'S FACES AND FEET WITHOUT SANITATION. LUSH skirts around having a spa treatment licence by calling them "skin/foot care demos". No matter how qualified you are, management requires you to offer it to every single customer. When the customer says yes, you HAVE to do it or you will lose hours. There are no benefits whatsoever for doing this task. Every single LUSH employee in my shops hated this requirement. It's disgusting and awkward, especially to some poor, minimally trained teenager that has no idea how to give a proper facial. They'll give you a once-over quick train on the technique that they made up, but even the technique that LUSH does is unpleasant and messy.

- You do not get paid commission for sales that YOU do. They will argue that bonusing every month is your reward (IF you can get there), but that is not the same. Think of it like this; imagine living in an apartment complex where the water bill is calculated by the entire building's sum of water use. You only take minimal water, while your neighbors next door take twenty baths a day, making your water bill so high that you are paying beyond your own water usage and paying for other's water too because the total bill is divided evenly at the end of the month. Bonusing works the same way. If you have a lot of successful sales and your coworkers can't sell jack, they also ride the benefit of YOUR sales. For how much pressure management puts into you to be as die-hard for high sales as possible, that's not fair for the slackers to get all the same benefits for riding on your coattail. Basically, they will TELL you that LUSH is a team-effort in selling, but train you and give you the expectations of someone with a commission-sales agenda.

- You will be micromanaged extremely hard to squeeze every penny out of your customer. Most of the time, you will be punished and scolded if you were unable to convince a customer to get at least three products with a total average of about 30-something dollars spent. The high majority of LUSH customers are young girls who just want a bath bomb and can only afford one item (especially since these products are pretty expensive). Regardless of the customer's budget, you will be punished. This is where the common complaint comes from of LUSH employees being too pushy and crazy to get you to buy everything. Behind every psycho LUSH employee, there's a dragon manager breathing down their neck and ready to make their shift miserable if they can't get you to get at least three or more items.

- If you do well, they will take advantage of you. You will be given a "specialty role" with absolutely no benefits. This means you have more work to do, EVEN HOMEWORK, without pay. Whether you are a trainer, Charity Pot leader, or eco-focused leader, you will have to do more projects and more work with no extra payment. Bare in mind, you're probably only making about ten dollars per hour with only about 15 hours per week. Do you really want to spend even more time on a job that doesn't respect you enough to pay you more for doing more work than your coworker who has no specialty role?

Advice to Management

I understand your sales-focused agenda and your main job is to make the shop meet it's financial goals every day, but most of you are making your employees miserable with the constant pushing and nitpicking. This makes them nervous and harder to approach customers feeling relaxed. When your employee isn't feeling confident, it's much harder for them to sell, which makes them come off as too aggressive to the customer, making them uncomfortable and want to leave without buying anything. The most successful sales ambassadors were conditioned to be focused, confident, and relaxed. Don't make them nervous by nitpicking every single interaction they have. It'll just scare them and make them do poorly and eventually hate you.

ADVICE TO POTENTIAL EMPLOYEES: just do seasonal (Christmas time is WAY better than summer). You get to have fun for a while and get to try some products, but get the heck out of there when your season is over. You'll get pulled into many more unpaid responsibilities and deal with the pressure from management to meet unrealistic post-holiday sales goals.

LUSH is a temporary fun job that looks good on a resume. Just bare in mind that most shops have unprofessional management and way too many expectations for what little pay it is.

9. This place is so wonderful!

Current Employee - Sales Ambassador in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Ambassador in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at LUSH North America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Tulsa store really connects like a family unit. We all are there for work, but try to make the best of it and relate to each other. We learn together, grow together, and watch each other grow in the company.

Cons

Sometimes small dramas can break out, but we don't do that around here so you handle it yourself.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

10. Simply Amazing

Current Employee - Sales Ambassador in Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Ambassador in Paramus, NJ

I have been working at LUSH North America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lush showed me to be more environmentally friendly. It was great to learn about the world while also learning about sales.

Cons

Lush likes to ethically source everything. So if your missing a product because of a source, be ready to get an upset customer. It's not such a big deal to be honest.

11. I want to work here again!

I worked at LUSH North America part-time

Pros

The discount, the products, the fun atmosphere. Great coworkers, many of whom I am still FB friends with. Great company ethics too.

Cons

None! Really, none. Aside from my own health issues making things difficult there really was no downside to this job.

Advice to Management

Hire me again! Alright, just kidding but definitely keep on keeping on, and see if we can't get some more spas open stateside. ;)

RSS Feed </> Embed