LUSH North America
www.lushusa.com Vancouver, Canada 1000 to 5000 Employees

LUSH North America Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014
LUSH North America – Canada – “Store Photo”

LUSH North America CEO & President Mark Wolverton

Mark Wolverton

Pros:
  • "The company offers a 50% discount on products to employees"
    in 14 reviews
  • "discounts to the amazing products"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "The sales associates that are complaining about the floor leaders getting on you about everything"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Horrible upper management with "mean girl" control issues, no structure"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Never been happier, but still haven't been able to create a career.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGreat training, amazing ethics, comfortable work environment, dedicated staff and management who will listen and work with you to attain goals and targets.

ConsVery very little chance to move up within the company... Many of us have left to find salaried jobs because we simply can't afford the cost of living on 9 dollars an hour part time.

Mafia and mean girls

Shop Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFairly good pay for management
    Great opportunities for learning and development
    Traveling abroad for managers meetings
    Excellent healthcare benefits
    Good work life balance
    Company culture allowing tattoos and piercings

ConsDisorganized operational structure
    Outdated POS technology
    Poor pay scale for support management
    No formal review structure for store managers
    Rotating "supervisors" in what could be considered regional upper management (at LUSH this group of people is called the Retail Support Team)
    Constantly changing policy and procedure, coaching format and floor leading standards

All things considered, this company has some really great and exciting things happening. Campaigns are engaging and informative (for employee and customer), and the products are fantastic! If you're looking for a challenge and you are looking to learn how to truly run a business from the bottom up - look no further than LUSH.

Unfortunately, Retail support team definitely has a mean girls vibe, often times communicating in cryptic and unprofessional ways about colleagues and other store managers. It's a shame that career advancement becomes so political when it should really be about who can do the job the best. Store managers are aware of that there is a "blacklist" (employees who are written off by LUSH and might never be promoted) and the "chosen few" (employees who by some grace became someone's favorite and surprise, magically get promoted). It's frustrating to feel like manager meetings are fashion shows and popularity contests (seriously, "you can't sit with us" happens here). But I think to some degree this happens at every job, although it seems to be worse here.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on store manager careerpathing (formal reviews would be a great place to start). Try to eliminate the friction between RST and store manager groups by rolling out consistent tools and programs (more operational structure, everyone using the same documents and logs). There should only be one interpretation of the correct way to do something, not different interpretations depending on who you get your visit from. RST visits should be supportive, not disruptive to your team or customer experience.

Great company!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsSo much fun!! The company honestly cares about you! They give great training and wonderful advantages.

ConsPushy sales! Make you confront every customer even if they don't want the help

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun to grow with when you are young

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsTONS of travel, opportunites for growth, play with products all day long, great discount!

ConsDifficult sales targets if you are in a new store. Little to no work/life balance- I gave my LIFE to this company for a while. Mediocre/inconsistent pay across the board for all of the work they expect you to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementRST should not be a club of mean girls...Why can't we all just get along?

Interesting place to work

Sales Ambassador (Former Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

ProsLearned a lot about charity, values, and the products themselves. Met tons of great people such as customers, coworkers within the store, and even some people higher up in the company. There's also room to grow within the company as well.

ConsThe worst thing about working here was pretty much getting trained to force people into buying things. Although they try to cover it up as selling "really well" and all of that, at the end of the day I was told to stick to customers the moment they come into the store and force them into buying things they don't really need.

Best job I've ever had! I love it so much.

Senior Sales Ambassador (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

Pros-Amazing, AMAZING staff, we're like a family and all very close
    -the discount
    -staff boxes (free products)
    -great environment
    -Feel appreciated
    -Great development skills and training every shift

Cons-Poor communication from upper level management
    -Not really a HR department

Advice to Senior Management-Be more direct with your lower employees and shops, you tend to tell us things after questions are asked instead of before it happens.

for the most part, a fun and positive job environment

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

Pros- the employees you work with, you become close friends and family with each other. i left lush in 2012 and still keep in touch with all my old co-workers.
    - the DISCOUNT. 50% off of everything and you get some free items every now and then!
    - the attire. you have to wear black/white, but you can get creative with it. plus, body piercings and tattoos are totally cool
    - you learn a lot about the products which gets pretty useful outside of work too. now, i know how to take care of my body and health and help give my friends/family advice.
    - great job if you're a student or if it's your first retail job

Consi worked a two different stores because i moved from one city to another. i really liked the store and work environment at LUSH georgetown. i learned a lot, had fun with both my managers and the other sales associates. it was an amazing and encouraging support system. however, when i moved to a new city and transferred to a new LUSH, i felt constantly micromanaged, talked down to and was told my selling strategy and methods were never good enough. it would've been nice to have a more consistent management environment from one store to the next. luckily, the sales associates made it a much more enjoyable place!

i feel as with any job, you kinda have to brown nose to management. so, if you're willing do that, you'll have a much better experience. you're working with mostly women, so, be social, relatable and you'll fit in.

when you're a part-time employee, your schedule constantly changes and you don't even know your schedule til the week before. this made it hard to plan trips with friends and family. if you're a full-time employee, your schedule is more solid. which, makes sense, you gotta give priority to those who will be there more often.

when managers from corporate come to your store, it can get weird. they would test us on our knowledge and selling skills, so, you show them what you've learned. however, everything you learned from your store still isn't good enough to them. i'm all about constructive criticism, but these people would just basically make you feel like you have to throw everything you learned out the window. so, training felt somewhat inconsistent.

Advice to Senior Managementmore consistency with training and managing across all stores, please.

So disappointing

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsAmazing products, great charity program, wonderful training for the team and training materials. (For their initial training )

ConsInconsistent and unorganized! 1 hr person for all of North America.!! Was given direction to do something one week and the next week a different person would say "why did you do that?!?" This lead to the flow in my store changing constantly to accommodate instructions I was being given as a new manager. Then when someone finally came to my store for a visit that was supposed to occur two weeks after we opened (of corse this was serveral all month after ) they decided I wasn't a good fit for Lush. Just like that..no offer to help nada!

Advice to Senior ManagementNew managers have no support. My store was delayed and there was no help on how to keep my 40+ person staff occupied and enhance their training for the 3 months they were in limbo. I never felt I had a direct support person during that time as I had hired everyone but wasn't opened yet.

I worked as a sales associate at LUSH North America for a little less than a year

Sales Ambassador (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

Pros- Amazing 50% discount, one of the best ones I've seen
    - Fun environment to experiment in order to get a better grasp of the products you're to sell.
    - Able to put on your own music rather than have a pre-made CD that you have to painfully listen to for hours
    - Appearance doesn't matter as long as you've showered and don't look too tattered. LUSH won't discriminate anyone for having multiple tattoos, piercings or hair colors.
    - Good training program for the majority of their ingredients, and this job will really help gain respect when looking for other positions in the skincare industry. If you apply yourself diligently you will gain tons of ingredient knowledge, as well as getting hands on experience with demoing the products on your clients. This is the main reason why my review is a three star and not a two, because this one PRO assured me a position elsewhere.
    - Ambassadors will come to the store to help you out in terms of learning other tricks of the trade when it comes to demos/products. You are able to get a fresh perspective on helping your customers.
    - Their overall message is pretty awesome and I fully support it. Natural and Cruelty-free is A-OK

Cons- The pay is TERRIBLE. I'm not sure how they expect their associates to live off of $8-9/hour. Nearly impossible to get a raise regardless of how good your performance has been in the store. The manager will always find something for you to "work on" and that this exact reason is why you won't be getting a raise.
    - SO.MUCH.GOSSIP. The environment is fun to play around in but once the customers are gone the employees instantly start to talk badly towards other co-workers. It feels as if you're back in High School being judged by the popular clique. The manager also takes part in gossip, particularly nasty ones at that.
    - Being sick or needing time off is frowned up by EVERYONE you work with. I had a pretty bad sinus infection and I had to take a couple of weeks off, which sucked but I couldn't help it. When I returned I was almost interrogated by everyone there asking why and trying to see if I was actually sick. Again, felt like high school having to bring a Doctors Note for proof.
    - Management sucks for the most part. They see themselves as above the associates just because they are in a high position and this causes a rift amidst the employees. Instead of giving constructive criticism you're constantly being tested and are under fire for your sales technique, which devalues your appreciation of your manager. Although they can dish it out, they will NOT tolerate any constructive comments directed towards them. The only time the manager seemed to care at all about her image was when she realized her employees' reviews of her were horrible.
    - Upper management is basically invisible. I have never seen a District Manager come into our store, and we were a flagship. HR department is also completely under the radar. It seems like if you were to ever have a problem you're not able to actually address your concerns.
    - I understand that you have to ensure your customer that the primary ingredients in a product are going to benefit them immensely and I have no qualms about the transparency, but I feel that the company can get a bit too scripted when it comes to Demoing.

My sales for the most part were always pretty on point and it was because I treated my client like a human being who's interested in the immediate effect than the science behind what Rose Oil, Geranium Oil, and Ylang Ylang can do. I could've had an awesome sale, but I can be reprimanded for not providing THREE ingredients and THREE benefits for each product that I had shown..really? My customer left HAPPY, she BOUGHT the products, she enjoyed her experience, but I'm told I didn't do well because I didn't follow your recipe for "success?" More often than not when I used this "script" I was told by the customer that they didn't care, or they were left confused by the amount of information they were getting. Getting a relaxing facial treatment while being given information about the amazing properties of Queen of Hungary water is annoying, not revitalizing. Bring it up when you need it, but save the nomenclature for someone who needs assurance.
    - Their use of Parabens and Sulfates and their lack of explaining to customers why they use them is odd to me. These ingredients have been getting loads of negative feedback in the cosmetics world, so it's interesting that when asked why we use them, the typical LUSH employee will fail to come up with an answer. Had it not been for my own research on the subject I wouldn't have been able to explain why. I think training your employees on why we use ingredients that are being badmouthed would be massively helpful. I've had several unhappy customers return their products when they found out they had parabens and/or sulfates.
    - After I left and came back to load up on my usual stash, it seemed like I had returned to customer status for the manager. We didn't leave my employment on a bad note, so she and I were generally friendly to one another. But instead of treating me like someone who had worked there before, she tried to sell to me like a customer. Pulled out the same script and tried to tack on more products to my sale. Woman I WORKED HERE I know what you're doing..

My last complaint in this long list of complaints is the way they train their associates in terms of assertiveness. This method of selling has been viewed as borderline harassment by customers and I completely agree. When I come into a store I'm not fully sure if I want to purchase something, especially given the price of some of these products. Having three associates - who aren't being paid commission mind you - hound me about what I like about the product, why I like it, why I like LUSH, what's my favorite product, have I tried this with this, did I know about this essential oil...I INSTANTLY don't want to buy.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off your high horse. Treat your customers like actual people, not like dollar signs. I want to see more passion about working for the company and not about how your conversion looks at the end of the day.

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proslots of free stuff, also great bonuses available for the whole store. Also, the company will send you products to try out before it hits the shelves which is awesome.

Consexpensive products, low hourly pay, bad management

Worked for LUSH North America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LUSH North America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for LUSH North America CEO Mark Wolverton. All 120 reviews posted anonymously by LUSH North America employees.