LYRASIS

Updated October 28, 2014
Updated October 28, 2014
3.3

Kate Nevins

Library associations can be fun

Former Employee - Senior IT Administrator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Administrator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at LYRASIS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Laid back, very quiet. They let me learn a lot about how libraries operate. I learned a lot about certain applications and made some good friends there. The general tone in my department was laid-back and intense. The work time was pretty flexible, and telecommuting was an option.

Cons

Non-Profit-level salaries. Quarterly meetings where they rained doom and gloom. I probably worked more hours than they really wanted me to, but they had misguessed the amount of hours of work required, so the team was always either doing not so much or feverishly working.

Set guidelines and refrain from criticising employees if they have done the best they can do.

Lots of great things happening here

I have been working at LYRASIS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A library organization that is staying on top of things. Lots of the staff work remotely and they accommodate family needs well. We have some new leadership in the organization due to retirements and it looks like we are continuing to grow. We are proud of our national recognition with foundations and library organizations, having staff connected to these agencies has been a great way for us to connect. Constantly trying to develop new ways to generate revenue is great since we are a non-profit and want to stay viable overtime.

Cons

Biggest negative is the home office in Mid Town Atlanta- dreary and hardly anyone working there anymore (due to remote hires) Staff are a bit cliquish with old work habits. "Change" is easier on the remote side of the organization.
    Communication across the organization is getting better, but still need to figure a better way to keep everyone in the loop to better help our members.

Review policies and enforce consistently with all staff in Atlanta and remotely. Advertise promotion opportunities, I do not hear about an opportunity until the person is announced in their new role!

Not a good experience-lack of direction and business experience

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at LYRASIS full-time

Pros

Nice people, relaxed environment, family friendly

Cons

Selling internally the need to change

be more open to new ideas and external changes in the environment

Fair to positive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at LYRASIS full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance, co-worker support, ability to speak up without worry of retaliation, benefits, tangible results of how we benefit our members/communities, everyone focused on one target- meet the members' needs, size and reserve$

Cons

Slow to no action with under performing senior manager(s), change happens too slow, overall a tough market to compete in as a third party and even harder with bringing new services to market but definitely heading in the right direction

Make communications to staff and staff concerns as important as meeting members' needs to ensure a motivated staff that proactively engages members with a positive attitude. Affect change from the top down and bottom up by enlisting support from the rank and fie for new initiatives. Good job on turning around a company that merged at such a pivotal time for networks/consortia/libraries

I like working at LYRASIS!

Current Employee - Staff in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Staff in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at LYRASIS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative work environment, opportunity for advancement, management team that values employee input, strong advocacy for libraries.

Cons

Library industry is changing rapidly, lots of changes, adjustments in field.

Continued opportunity for advancement, growth and collaborative environment where the staff input is valued.

Overall drudge and unsatisfying, not a place to stay if you can leave

I worked at LYRASIS full-time

Pros

Benefits are good, life balance with plenty of time off. Of course there are some good people working there, but none stay because they are not inspired or challenged to do their best work.

Cons

Too many to list, but the biggest Con is the executive leader, so called CEO, who lacks any strategic vision or courage to actually lead. When I started I was hopefull for the opportunity to contribute to a non profit, but quickly learned it is a very passive-aggressive org and she/CEO never stays with a single priority for long. The nitpicking and micro management is unbelievably bad, literally every decision has to be approved by CEO, this is because she does not trust employees enough to delegate to them for their expertise.
    CEO keeps the entire staff in constant reaction mode - always chasing the last thing she heard or read someoEd say was a good idea.
    It is truely a sad place and running it for years this has been a collessal waste of library and tax payer resources.

Clean sweep the exec staff and board and start over.

I love working at LYRASIS.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at LYRASIS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I came from a background in small nonprofits. LYRASIS has been amazingly flexible and supportive of me as a new librarian. They encourage me to present at conferences and work around my schedule to allow me the time I need to cultivate opportunities.

I have never worked at a place as eager to assist me with the course of my career. Management are accessible, responsive, and above all helpful. There is the sense that all individual victories are victories for the company and vice versa.

Excellent benefits - even with reductions, we receive great medical and 4 weeks of vacation from day one. The smaller staff is committed, considerate, and friendly. There is an air of excitement and enthusiasm for the digital direction the company has taken. Recently, the organization has begun hiring for new positions.

Cons

There is some negative memory of the salad days of years past- much of the griping you see in other reviews is due to this. We no longer work with OCLC in the same way, and as a result, the company culture has changed. Those who were there for the boom days have lingering stress and resentment for the rightsizing that occurred following the end of that relationship.

I've been at a number of organizations that have experienced layoffs, and I would say that this reaction is nothing out of the ordinary. Overall morale is improving everyday.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Pretend to care, but major CYA

Former Employee - Customer Service in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Phila, PA

I worked at LYRASIS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Salaries and benefits comparable. Congenial atmosphere.

Cons

Slow to move, bureaucratic, lack of creativity, nice to your face but its all fake.

Hire people who actually get things done!

My experience has not been challenging, and unsatisfactory in terms of my skills, background and experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at LYRASIS

Pros

Great benefits package includes 4 weeks vacation, extremely liberal 403(b) employee match, great medical/dental coverage.

Cons

Environment tends to not be welcoming to outsiders (those not from library profession). Upper management tends to operate in a very "reactive" vs "proactive" manner. Experience, work ethic and proven skills don't seem to be taken into consideration regarding promotions, raises, etc.

I don't recommend Lyrasis

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at LYRASIS

Pros

Lyrasis is big compared to some other regional library nonprofits, which may have certain advantages. Some great people work there.

Cons

Management is insular and not open to other ways of seeing things. In general, the year 2010 is a bad time to work for a library nonprofit due to the economic downturn.

They couldn't hear it constructive criticism back last year, so I have no confidence that they'd hear it this year.