LYRASIS

Updated Mar 24, 2014

Kate Nevins

Fair to positive

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsWork/Life balance, co-worker support, ability to speak up without worry of retaliation, benefits, tangible results of how we benefit our members/communities, everyone focused on one target- meet the members' needs, size and reserve$

ConsSlow to no action with under performing senior manager(s), change happens too slow, overall a tough market to compete in as a third party and even harder with bringing new services to market but definitely heading in the right direction

Advice to Senior ManagementMake communications to staff and staff concerns as important as meeting members' needs to ensure a motivated staff that proactively engages members with a positive attitude. Affect change from the top down and bottom up by enlisting support from the rank and fie for new initiatives. Good job on turning around a company that merged at such a pivotal time for networks/consortia/libraries

I like working at LYRASIS!

Staff (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsCollaborative work environment, opportunity for advancement, management team that values employee input, strong advocacy for libraries.

ConsLibrary industry is changing rapidly, lots of changes, adjustments in field.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinued opportunity for advancement, growth and collaborative environment where the staff input is valued.

Overall drudge and unsatisfying, not a place to stay if you can leave

(Former Employee)

ProsBenefits are good, life balance with plenty of time off. Of course there are some good people working there, but none stay because they are not inspired or challenged to do their best work.

ConsToo many to list, but the biggest Con is the executive leader, so called CEO, who lacks any strategic vision or courage to actually lead. When I started I was hopefull for the opportunity to contribute to a non profit, but quickly learned it is a very passive-aggressive org and she/CEO never stays with a single priority for long. The nitpicking and micro management is unbelievably bad, literally every decision has to be approved by CEO, this is because she does not trust employees enough to delegate to them for their expertise.
    CEO keeps the entire staff in constant reaction mode - always chasing the last thing she heard or read someoEd say was a good idea.
    It is truely a sad place and running it for years this has been a collessal waste of library and tax payer resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean sweep the exec staff and board and start over.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretend to care, but major CYA

Customer Service (Former Employee) Phila, PA

ProsSalaries and benefits comparable. Congenial atmosphere.

ConsSlow to move, bureaucratic, lack of creativity, nice to your face but its all fake.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who actually get things done!

I love working at LYRASIS.

(Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsI came from a background in small nonprofits. LYRASIS has been amazingly flexible and supportive of me as a new librarian. They encourage me to present at conferences and work around my schedule to allow me the time I need to cultivate opportunities.

I have never worked at a place as eager to assist me with the course of my career. Management are accessible, responsive, and above all helpful. There is the sense that all individual victories are victories for the company and vice versa.

Excellent benefits - even with reductions, we receive great medical and 4 weeks of vacation from day one. The smaller staff is committed, considerate, and friendly. There is an air of excitement and enthusiasm for the digital direction the company has taken. Recently, the organization has begun hiring for new positions.

ConsThere is some negative memory of the salad days of years past- much of the griping you see in other reviews is due to this. We no longer work with OCLC in the same way, and as a result, the company culture has changed. Those who were there for the boom days have lingering stress and resentment for the rightsizing that occurred following the end of that relationship.

I've been at a number of organizations that have experienced layoffs, and I would say that this reaction is nothing out of the ordinary. Overall morale is improving everyday.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

horrible environment with miserable coworkers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosif you are liked by management you don't have to worry about actually doing any work, you don't even have to show up, you can just dump it on your coworkers.

ConsThis place was like being in high-school, full of bullies, (including one who would actually "accidentally" run into me, hit me, and push me against walls). I had one coworker who used to cry at my desk when she made a mistakes, (rather than learning opportunities mistakes here are prized opportunities for coworkers to denigrate each other). Senior management spends their time eavesdropping, so of course middle management does the same. It's actually kind of funny to see them tiptoeing around and peering over cubicles and lurking near office doors, context is never an issue. They do this to contribute value as this is really the only thing they can do as they are oblivious to the work that the organization is doing. The only employees who are actually accomplishing anything are overworked and are all lower level.

Advice to Senior Managementstop referring to your staff as your "minions" and take at least a few minutes to learn what they are doing instead of trying to cause problems.

Like scrambling for deck chairs on the Titanic?

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsOpportunity to meet and network with a lot of professionals in the library science world.

ConsThe benefits others have raved about are gone as are most of the staff, including contract positions there are only about 50 employees left.. Middle management refuses to document processes and procedures, this allows them the ability to change them upon a whim, which wouldn't be so bad except they rarely remember to communicate changes to the staff. Additionally, middle management continually requests employees to lie regarding the status of orders and renewals to both vendors and members. Currently the organization aligns more closely with publishers than with members, members definitely are getting the short end.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease visibility and reestablish partnership with membership, this is really what supports the organization.

My experience has not been challenging, and unsatisfactory in terms of my skills, background and experience.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat benefits package includes 4 weeks vacation, extremely liberal 403(b) employee match, great medical/dental coverage.

ConsEnvironment tends to not be welcoming to outsiders (those not from library profession). Upper management tends to operate in a very "reactive" vs "proactive" manner. Experience, work ethic and proven skills don't seem to be taken into consideration regarding promotions, raises, etc.

I don't recommend Lyrasis

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsLyrasis is big compared to some other regional library nonprofits, which may have certain advantages. Some great people work there.

ConsManagement is insular and not open to other ways of seeing things. In general, the year 2010 is a bad time to work for a library nonprofit due to the economic downturn.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey couldn't hear it constructive criticism back last year, so I have no confidence that they'd hear it this year.

Great Place to Work

ProsThe Library industry is undergoing massive change and LYRASIS is in the forefront. Much more than just collecting a paycheck, LYRASIS allows its employees room to innovate better products and services for Members. Benefits are superior to those offered by my former employers.

ConsBecause the Company gives employees much leeway in conducting their jobs, occasionally, a less motivated employee can take advantage of the situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop management needs to keep pushing forward and keep adapting to the changing library environment.

Worked for LYRASIS? Contribute to the Community!