La Clinica de La Raza Reviews

1. satisfatory

Current Employee - CMA in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - CMA in Oakland, CA

I have been working at La Clinica de La Raza

Pros

being able to help the community, by making a difference in their health. wonderful pt and families

Cons

unfortunally the hard working employee never gets recognize, some of the best promotions go to the ones the barely know how the clinics run. experience means almost nothing to managment.

please come at least once a month to the different sites to talk and hear to the employees the work in the different departments from janitorial to supervisor

2. Lots of good people, good work, and employee training. Mixed experience depending on where you work

I have been working at La Clinica de La Raza

Pros

Flexibility in terms of multiple departments and locations if you have the kind of job needed around the organization. Lots of training opportunities, especially for the managers. Some departments have a strong family or community feeling. I think many managers try hard to do the right thing. Commitment to the community, employee wellness program, pretty good benefits, some buildings nice to work in.

Cons

Non profit pay scale. Can be super gossipy depending on the department. Management seems to have a hard time firing people who should be fired. Not always an emotionally healthy place too work. It depends a lot on your manager and how mature your co-workers are.

Let us know what's going on more often. Hold managers accountable to support staff. Get rid of people who aren't helping our patients or are being respectful to patients or co-workers. Provide more employee training, vacation time and extended sick leave.

Good company. Great people. Meaningful work."

I have been working at La Clinica de La Raza full-time

Pros

Dedicated employees. Mission driven. Grassroots. Administrative employees are able to flex their positions to fit their strengths. Dedicated to improving the skills of managers and supervisors. Seeks to hire from the communities it serves. Fair wages, especially for a nonprofit. The CEO is warm and approachable, as are most of the executives.

Cons

Needs to focus on bringing together executives, doctors, frontline workers, tech and facilities employees to reduced perceived preferential treatment and give all employees a company-wide perspective that is communicated not just from the top down, but from the ground up. But that is the case in most companies. The only reason I think it is more important to focus on it at LC is because of the history and mission of the organization.
    Needs to hire more diversely from the communities it serves. Sometimes gives potential newcomers the impression that it only serves Spanish speakers.

Offer cross language classes where English speakers, Spanish speakers, and speakers of Asian languages are teaching each other. Encourage participation of employees at all levels of the organization. Start a two-way mentoring program for new employees, particularly ones from populations which are under-respresented in the organization.

5. Great place to work

Former Employee - Physician in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Physician in Oakland, CA

I worked at La Clinica de La Raza

Pros

Wonderful supportive, easy to work with staff, great patients

Cons

Lack of benefits and lower than average salary for the Bay Area

I wish you could increase the benefits for all but especially for ancillary staff with special needs it really helps them to help us.

6. Work experience very dependent on work location and supervisor

I have been working at La Clinica de La Raza full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generally supportive, benefits thousands in the community, some truly superlative people work here, there is much potential for the organization overall

Cons

HR Department is lacking in many ways, lots of inefficiencies, lack of clear policies, disconnections between different service lines and different locations

Overhaul entire Human Resources Department, conduct a compensation analysis of all positions, develop organization-wide systems of communication, promote more staff with vision and insight

7. Supportive Staff

I have been working at La Clinica de La Raza

Pros

Staff are very supportive one one another. People work here to serve the community.

Cons

Salaries stay frozen. Upper management is disconnected from front-line staff. Focus on productivity and less on staff enjoyment/well-being.

8. Noble mission, bad for career advancement

I worked at La Clinica de La Raza

Pros

You get a sense of satisfaction knowing you are helping the community through your work.

Cons

The location in Oakland is dangerous and traffic rules (letting pedestrians the right of way for example) not always apply.

Moving up in the agency is based on cliques. If you don't like to play politics at work, you should not expect raises or advancing in your career based on merit alone.

Make the agency a meritocracy and give employees frequent evaluations too. This way laziness and indifference towards work can be avoided as well.

Train front-desk staff to be more professional on the phone and in person when dealing with patients.

9. Great Benefits, Yet awful disrespectful people

Current Employee - Human Service Specialist in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Human Service Specialist in Oakland, CA

I have been working at La Clinica de La Raza full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They will hire family members, which is considerate and family oriented

Cons

Demoralization, no appearance of leadership, very poor use of politics , not enough work balance, supervisors abuse authority and are not held responsible for there dishonesty, which in turn will cause an employee to spiral out of control.

Please consider valuing the accomplishments and utilizing a persons ability to get the job done. Hold every employee responsible for their actions.

10. what total crap

I have been working at La Clinica de La Raza

Pros

none. none. none. none. none.

Cons

everything about this place stinks

it's an oligarchy!!!! get some experienced managers

A Very Racist Experience

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Oakland, CA

I worked at La Clinica de La Raza part-time (more than a year)

Pros

La Clinica is one of the higher paying "safety net" clinics. It is one of the few places where you can still get a 40 hour work-week with benefits. You also get to enjoy weekends, and holidays, since the clinic is closed on those days.

Cons

La Clinica is a great place to work, but only of you are Mexican. They rarely hire other Latinos, and if you are dark-skinned, you will have a hard time even getting through security to report to work. The security guard harassed me every day, as I was the only African American who worked in the entire clinic. I witnessed many occasions where African American patients were condescended to, and bad-mouthed by staff. The patients also had many racist comments, such as "you are very pretty, to be black". I also had to constantly defend myself and explain "WHY is spoke Spanish".

La Clinica de La Raza Photos