La Clinica de La Raza

www.laclinica.org

La Clinica de La Raza Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2014

Jane Garcia

Noble mission, bad for career advancement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get a sense of satisfaction knowing you are helping the community through your work.

ConsThe location in Oakland is dangerous and traffic rules (letting pedestrians the right of way for example) not always apply.

Moving up in the agency is based on cliques. If you don't like to play politics at work, you should not expect raises or advancing in your career based on merit alone.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the agency a meritocracy and give employees frequent evaluations too. This way laziness and indifference towards work can be avoided as well.

Train front-desk staff to be more professional on the phone and in person when dealing with patients.

Lots of good people, good work, and employee training. Mixed experience depending on where you work

ProsFlexibility in terms of multiple departments and locations if you have the kind of job needed around the organization. Lots of training opportunities, especially for the managers. Some departments have a strong family or community feeling. I think many managers try hard to do the right thing. Commitment to the community, employee wellness program, pretty good benefits, some buildings nice to work in.

ConsNon profit pay scale. Can be super gossipy depending on the department. Management seems to have a hard time firing people who should be fired. Not always an emotionally healthy place too work. It depends a lot on your manager and how mature your co-workers are.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet us know what's going on more often. Hold managers accountable to support staff. Get rid of people who aren't helping our patients or are being respectful to patients or co-workers. Provide more employee training, vacation time and extended sick leave.

Great Benefits, Yet awful disrespectful people

Human Service Specialist (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsThey will hire family members, which is considerate and family oriented

ConsDemoralization, no appearance of leadership, very poor use of politics , not enough work balance, supervisors abuse authority and are not held responsible for there dishonesty, which in turn will cause an employee to spiral out of control.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease consider valuing the accomplishments and utilizing a persons ability to get the job done. Hold every employee responsible for their actions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Very Racist Experience

Medical Assistant (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsLa Clinica is one of the higher paying "safety net" clinics. It is one of the few places where you can still get a 40 hour work-week with benefits. You also get to enjoy weekends, and holidays, since the clinic is closed on those days.

ConsLa Clinica is a great place to work, but only of you are Mexican. They rarely hire other Latinos, and if you are dark-skinned, you will have a hard time even getting through security to report to work. The security guard harassed me every day, as I was the only African American who worked in the entire clinic. I witnessed many occasions where African American patients were condescended to, and bad-mouthed by staff. The patients also had many racist comments, such as "you are very pretty, to be black". I also had to constantly defend myself and explain "WHY is spoke Spanish".

Good company. Great people. Meaningful work."

ProsDedicated employees. Mission driven. Grassroots. Administrative employees are able to flex their positions to fit their strengths. Dedicated to improving the skills of managers and supervisors. Seeks to hire from the communities it serves. Fair wages, especially for a nonprofit. The CEO is warm and approachable, as are most of the executives.

ConsNeeds to focus on bringing together executives, doctors, frontline workers, tech and facilities employees to reduced perceived preferential treatment and give all employees a company-wide perspective that is communicated not just from the top down, but from the ground up. But that is the case in most companies. The only reason I think it is more important to focus on it at LC is because of the history and mission of the organization.
    Needs to hire more diversely from the communities it serves. Sometimes gives potential newcomers the impression that it only serves Spanish speakers.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer cross language classes where English speakers, Spanish speakers, and speakers of Asian languages are teaching each other. Encourage participation of employees at all levels of the organization. Start a two-way mentoring program for new employees, particularly ones from populations which are under-respresented in the organization.

Steer clear from La Clinica de La Raza

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pleasant Hill, CA

ProsNone really, I'd say the insurance, but they take sooo much of your check I'm not sure it's even worth it.

Cons(Medical Department) Almost everything is a con, from the staff to the management. If you can help it, steer clear of this place. Most employee's are desperately looking for jobs elsewhere.

Where can I start, fair labor practices for beginners, you will almost never be able to take your break at this place, the employees are represented by a union who apart from taking their dues of your check will not do anything for the employees. You will never, ever, ever get a raise unless you are a dental staff.

Secondly, the employees are about 95-98 % women. Who are very catty and at each others throat all the time. In other words there is Drama! The other set back is that with having predominately female staff, is that there is always someone pregnant which means they are always short staffed. They hire temps, but the hiring process is extremely slow and the HR department has very few competent staff that the person is almost back from maternity leave by the time the temp starts working.

Also, don't ever expect to be recognized for your hard work. You will have days where you don't even have time to go to the restroom during your AM or PM shifts and you will never be recognized for it, on the contrary, they will ask you to work harder and do more.

There is absolutely no room for growth unless you are related to someone high up in the agency or know someone in a management position. Therefore there are a lot and I mean a lot of incompetent people in high ranks. This organization does not value hard work or an education for that matter.

If you think this company may be worth it to help the disadvantaged people you are wrong, They are money hungry sharks who only care about the people with medi-cal or other insurances, this makes the agency money. So, what does this mean, management does everything in their power to see insured patients while putting other patients on the back burner. The only people who do care about the patients are the doctors/NPs/physician assistants etc. and even then they are forced to see so many patients that the doctors themselves area unable to provide the quality service they desire.

I can go on and on with my rant, but I'm sure you all get the idea.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is for Jane Garcia. You are the one with the control to make a change with this organization and stop what has become of La Clinica, it is shameful. First of all, I advise you start requiring education for the management positions, just because someone has worked at La Clinica for 10 years does not make them competent or qualified enough to be in management positions. Also, having reviews done for people in management positions like a 360 review would benefit. Also, this hiring of peoples children, comadres, etc for positions for which they do not qualify for needs to stop! People need to have the proper qualifications before being hired for this position, that is the only way to improve the hell that La Clinica has become.

satisfatory

CMA (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

Prosbeing able to help the community, by making a difference in their health. wonderful pt and families

Consunfortunally the hard working employee never gets recognize, some of the best promotions go to the ones the barely know how the clinics run. experience means almost nothing to managment.

Advice to Senior Managementplease come at least once a month to the different sites to talk and hear to the employees the work in the different departments from janitorial to supervisor

Needs a big change

Dental Assistant (Former Employee) Pleasant Hill, CA

ProsHelping the community, co-worker camaraderie, friendships with co-workers and patients, a good place to gain experience.

ConsUpper management never gives recognition or praise for good, hard work, they only make you work harder. They intimidate staff into waiving their raises and voting to change union contract, because they know the majority of staff were not born and raised in the US do not know their worker's rights, and will not go on strike. Favoritism is also an issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your hardworking, loyal employees with more respect. Give them smiles and "thank you's". Give them fair wages, they've earned it, they work hard and you know it. Take pride in your organization by making changes so others do not look down upon it.

Great place to work

Physician (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsWonderful supportive, easy to work with staff, great patients

ConsLack of benefits and lower than average salary for the Bay Area

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish you could increase the benefits for all but especially for ancillary staff with special needs it really helps them to help us.

Worked for La Clinica de La Raza? Contribute to the Community!