La Costa Resort

3.6

April Shute

Customer Service

I worked at La Costa Resort

Pros

Great benefits, fun people, nice environment, newly renovated, worked there before it was an Omni property, beautiful resort

Cons

far distance to walk from employee parking lot to resort, old resort though it's renovated (back of the house not renovated), old AC and pipes etc, cold in the winter morning

Need more opportunity for individual growth, didn't like to promote from within, would rather hire someone from the outside who already has experience, would be nice to renovate some of the back of the house

Snobby people, great money

Current Employee - Cocktail Server in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Cocktail Server in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at La Costa Resort part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to work 3 days and make enough money o pay my bills in the begining, but then they started overstaffing and I had to find another job. Beautiful resort.

Cons

Work holidays. Work 8-10 hour shifts with no break (but they expect you to clock out). Pool shifts are horrible in the sun all day. Edge bar and Diversions bar has black mold which gave me rashes. Managment is a joke. Guests are snobs and belittling.

Value your employees and hire servers with experience.

Management difficult to work with. Management did not value long time older employees.

Former Employee - Esthetician in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Esthetician in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at La Costa Resort part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice co workers.Good on the job training. Beautiful work enviornment

Cons

Poor leadership guests complain about service just to get free services and to get comped.Some of the guest tell lies just to get free services.

Listen to the employees. Dont take the guest side with complaints.Dont give free services to guests who complain. The guests complaint to get free services. K. S. L. was a very poor owner to work for.

One of the worst places to work

Former Employee - Server in La Costa, CA
    Former Employee - Server in La Costa, CA

I worked at La Costa Resort part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are union based and have benefits

Cons

The entire hotel looks nice from the outside but literally provides no accommodations to make the employees have a good work environment. Their management is only looking out for themselves and constantly are putting down employees and yelling at them. There are three restaurants at the resort and banquet services that all have to share the same equipment. I was constantly on scavenger hunt looking for silverware and then hiding them from fellow employees so that our restaurant would have enough supplies. They are always understaffed. This corporation is so cheap and will exploit all their workers so that they don't have to make a new hire. They also always try to keep your hours down just enough so that you can't receive any of their health benefits. Look them up on yelp. You'll see how unsatisfied the customers are as well. You don't want to work for these people

Try hiring management that have true leadership skills. You guys are giving La Costa Resort a very bad reputation and causing it to lose the glory of it's history.

Pretty disappointed

Former Employee - Steward in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Steward in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at La Costa Resort full-time (more than a year)

Pros

High-class, nice resort on the outside. Looks good on your resume as far as hotels and hospitality/service go. Can make more money here than working the same job at most other companies.

Cons

BS. Nice on the outside, sucky on the inside. that's what ALMOST EVERYONE says. They don't care about the employees, but they do try really hard to act like they do. It was disrespectful really. "this place is run by jews" (not literally jewish people) said my supervisor who had worked there for 25 years. Horrible management. Employees are incompetent

Be more honest and give less bs to the employees.

Feel Like You're on Vacation While at Work

I have been working at La Costa Resort full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Since Omni purchased in July 2013, the entire property as a whole has improved. Omni strongly believes in taking care of their employees, and treating them well.

Cons

If you are not upper management, pay is very low. Have not had a raise in the 3.5 years I have been here, but I have been told that will change within this year.

Take time to get to know your staff. Keep creating a positive environment for them to be in. When an employee is happy, it shows in their work.

Beautiful on the outside

Current Employee - Food/Beverage in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Food/Beverage in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at La Costa Resort part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It has a beautiful setting in Southern California and the golf courses and pools are fantastic.

Cons

Union run, management not caring about quality of service. Ownership not investing money where it is desperately needed. Horribly dirty and unkept in the back of the house.

Lose the union and do some housecleaning. Get a new elevator

Wonderful Vacation Like Job!

Current Employee - IT Manager in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at La Costa Resort full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Always a happy place to be like Disneyland without the rides. The people were wonderful, motivated, and very rewarding to give the best guest experience

Cons

A lot of hours when teh resort was at capacity and a lot of renovation going on at the time which created more work than need be. Pay was not as competitive as I would have hoped.

Fancy place, tough work

Current Employee - FB Manager in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - FB Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at La Costa Resort full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Big property with a lot of amenities

Cons

Company under staffs and over works managers

Feels like you're on vacation but you're at work!

Former Employee - Membership Sales Manager in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Membership Sales Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at La Costa Resort full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent place to work, super friendly co-workers, great perks.

Cons

Slow, outdated computers. Shabby behind the house areas.

Have a strategy for promoting from within and cross training in various areas.