La Madeleine

Add Photos

Jean-Roch Vachon

Monotonous

Host (Current Employee)

ProsI do not find many pros besides the people I work with are generally nice. Customers are ok, the managers sometimes will bring pizza.

ConsYou will go home smelling like soup and other various food items. Work becomes monotonous quickly and raises are not often. It is not a place to stay and work for a while.

Pastry associate

Pastry Associate (Former Employee)

ProsNone other than a 50% discount

ConsBefore hiring you they tell you that you will recieve great training and tell you what the hours are which work great with your schedule... once they hire you they put you with people who dont want to train you and dont care if you succeed and the hours are different than what was said. They lie to get you on than do nothing to keep you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive proper training

My worst job so far

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Flower Mound, TX

ProsDecent pay, the customers weren't bad, the head manager was the sweetest manager I ever had, the work wasnt terrible, they were not under staffed

Consassistant managers ignored employee input on anything, employees harassed me on a daily basis, equipment constantly broke, food made me sick every time I ate it, dishes were never clean and the cups always had lipstick stains on them, pastry case and dish washing station both had mold and were never cleaned

Advice to Senior Managementwhen several employees say they've seen mold around the restaurant your response should not be "nope youre wrong" and do nothing to even investigate, also when you see harassment happening its unprofessional to sit back and even join in

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Depressing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe only positive here was the food. Discounts are 50% but you would usually spend at least an hour worth of work pay on a dinner here, even with the discount. Catering Regional Sale Manager was very insightful and helpful.

ConsWorse General Manager ever
    Will cut your hours and at the last moment
    Will get in trouble for lack of sales on rainy, snowy days smh
    Accountable for events that are out of your control
    LOW salary for a lot of work
    I was told to walk $600 of catering food to an event in a snow storm with a push cart and was not given any tip even though there is a manadatory delivery fee that Catering specialists never see. Many will not even tip because of this mandatory fee.
     General Managers will lie and throw you under the bus for ridiculous reasons. My manager knew cashiers were keeping surveys and giving fake reviews and allowed it so that the store can look better.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour general managers will set the tone of the store. If you are constantly seeing people quit and unhappy, it is probably the managers they have to deal with and the low salary that they are receiving.

One of the worst jobs

Line Worker : Bakery (Former Employee)
    Round Rock, TX

Pros$8.50 per hour. Good looking Bakery

ConsBad employees, discrimination, filthy, over-worked, understaffed, ill-prepared, potential health hazard, bad scheduling, VERY bad training, re-used past date food

Advice to Senior ManagementALWAYS schedule bussers when busiest ! Get the employees more involved, train them better so they ALL know what to do ! Arguing with staff is unacceptable. Discrimination uncalled for. Couldn't do it as a part time job, won't make a career out of it ! Make working here a place that feels like home and not just a paycheck !

The plantation

Prospay comes on time but its not enough to survive

Conshorrible pay, you can not pay your bills with this plus they only give you about 30-33 hrs a week. management just cares about how much the store made that day, they will cut your hours so they can save money, be rude, get into arguments. The busboy at my location told our GM he was getting burned by the washing chemicals and she told him there was nothing she could do. He asked her repeatedly to get him some gloves, she said no and he ended up buying his own on his 8/hr budget. She knew he was a recent immigrant by himself and she gave no cares.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare

Operating under constant stress and intimidation.

I T at Corporate HQ (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsOutside of the I.T. department the company knows how to have fun. All hands meetings and holiday events have a lot of generous gifts and fun give-a-ways done at various offsite locations. Lots of catering and employees bringing in baked goods, there always seems to be good food around. Employee discount at cafes is a nice perk.

ConsWithin the network group of the I.T. department: a very rigid top-down hierarchical corporate structure that is heavily compartmentalized, little room for advancement, no empowerment to make decisions or ability to collaborate with peers, and no respectful questioning of decisions that are made in private by micro-managing bosses with absent scruples and hair trigger tempers who operate under the philosophy of Procrustean Rule.

I.T. Management openly bullies and speaks ill of sub-ordinates and it is not uncommon for managers to publicly dress down an employee in front of peers (personally witnessed multiple times). This is a very do what you are told, don't question me or be fired type of place.

This is a hostile work environment where the ends always justify the means. Human Resources appears to strictly be there to protect the company; employees have little to no means of legitimate recourse from unjust treatment. Keep your dignity and stay far away from this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company vision, mission, and culture that the executive team says they want is disconnected from the actual reality of what is in practice by middle and lower management. Which begs the question, what are the true values of the company?

The network management team must be replaced by true and competent leaders that can successfully implement projects without major disruptions to daily operations of the cafes and are able to treat staff with dignity and respect.

Not a career type of job

Service Assistant (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsSome guests are actually really nice! One could level with them and talk as if you've known each other forever. You'll know who the best workers are immediately. Able to be an asset immediately. The hard work guarantees more hours.

ConsYou'll also have a lot of mean guests. Some expect special treatment and that's fine, it's the ones that want more than that are what could run your day, as they usually travel in packs. You'll also know that most of the employees are lazy and would rather be on their phones or joking around. A lot of unprofessional attitudes toward the guests. Asking for a raise is blasphemous. Managers undermine each other and discipline is inconsistent. Your advancement relies on butt kissing, noy merits.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you would like to keep good help, treat good help well and take care of them.

A waste of time!

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Tysons Corner, VA

ProsThe pay was enough to give it a chance.

ConsFilthy! Discrimination! Told by upper management some managers were hired because they needed bodies. Working conditions. Bug and rodent infestations. Need I say more. Nobody cared about associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementVisit your stores and stay for awhile, see the big picture, not just dollars.

Simple job, people were always fair and management nice

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsFair wage for the work put in.

ConsCompany has gotten really weird about how much they are limiting to employees. Getting stingy

Worked for La Madeleine? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at La Madeleine reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for La Madeleine CEO Jean-Roch Vachon. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by La Madeleine employees.