La Madeleine

Updated Jun 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jean-Roch Vachon

la Madeleine is a restaurant where being clean, friendly and positive is valued.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe more of yourself that you invest in the company, the more you will enjoy the job. There is room for growth and certainly opportunities for challenge. You WILL stand out and be noticed if you have the self discipline to stay motivated regardless of those with whom you work.

ConsOften the criticism of peers and superiors outpaces the number of times praise is received. I have received pay increases steadily for five years and I view those raises as non-verbal praise. However, the "well done!" comes far too infrequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle and upper management is quite adept at communicating with fair and honest criticism and feedback. However, it would serve them well to give verbal praise more often.

McDonald's on the Seine

Line Worker : Bakery (Current Employee) Arlington, TX

ProsGot a free entree every day. Could take home a loaf of bread a day.
    Generally treated well by the public. Quiet workplace.

ConsNot all co-workers know how to behave in a quasi-upscale environment. You don't yell, you don't play grab-ass, you don't talk street hustla smack. Mgmnt really should quash that.

Regardless of appearances, most of the baking in done centrally and trucked to the stores. The stuff that IS cooked in the stores is basically thawed and popped in a convection oven.

The cons of working at LM are largely those of working food service in general: working weekends and holidays, closing one night and opening the next morning, flakey co-workers.

After Patrick sold the company (to El Chico?) it kinda lost its soul. :-(

Advice to Senior ManagementIf mgmnt is going to play the "that's not how it's done in France" card it would be neat if they, you know, had ever been there. I have more time in French bakeries and bistros than any LM manager I've met to date.

But here's the big thing: LM gets away with the prices it charges because of the PERCEPTION of an upscale environment and food. Anything that detracts from this perception will cause customers to realize they just spent a non-trivial amount of cash on fluff.

You MUST keep the coffee, caesar salad, and bread up to snuff. Everything else can come and go.

opportunity for advancement, not for creativity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Plano, TX

Prosworking in the Texas DFW area there is a lot of interaction with corporate, and surely if you manage to market yourself well there is opportunity for upwards mobility

Conscorporate is more or less without much creative vision; conservative without much out-of-the-box thinking

Advice to Senior Managementopen the company hierarchy up for advice from the part-time workers to the C-level

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good job for college/high school

Busser (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe management is very lenient when it comes to your education. Anytime I had something acedemic come up, they were very happy to help me out.

ConsThe compensation is a bit too low for the work that you actually do at the restaurant. As with all restaurant work, the people who came in late drive you crazy as the management allowed anyone in.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep in constant communication with the workers, overall just keep morale up, add comments but don't be so negative at times.

Monotonous

Host (Current Employee)

ProsI do not find many pros besides the people I work with are generally nice. Customers are ok, the managers sometimes will bring pizza.

ConsYou will go home smelling like soup and other various food items. Work becomes monotonous quickly and raises are not often. It is not a place to stay and work for a while.

Simple job, people were always fair and management nice

Cashier (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsFair wage for the work put in.

ConsCompany has gotten really weird about how much they are limiting to employees. Getting stingy

Average Food Service Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful bakery selection and great tasting food.

ConsFast-paced multi-tasking, Little growth and raise opportunity

ok job

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Pros2 day's off, great customers

Cons60 plus hours...hard to get a vacation

Advice to Senior Managementa good job..but not a career

Despite the "Stepford Wives" mentality of the management, it is about what I expected.

Associate (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe quality of the food is high. There is seldom a dull moment, and the fast pace makes the time fly by.

ConsI find it bizarre that for a shift of anything less than 8 hours I can assume I will not get even a 5-minute break.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more respect to the employees.

Busboy

Busboy (Former Employee) Frisco, TX

ProsFree food, decent pay for a first-time job. You get to experience the nice environment of a small french bistro.

ConsThe work was pretty much physical so be prepared to work. You have to deal with customers, restock the back, and clean the front all at the same time.

Worked for La Madeleine? Contribute to the Community!