La Madeleine Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
41 reviews filtered by
2.1
Jean-Roch Vachon

1. Great company with lot's of growth!

Current Employee - Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at La Madeleine full-time (less than a year)

Pros

New cafe openings offer plenty of room for advancement, good benefits, work life balance, and corporate is very supportive.

Cons

Plenty of room for advancement but that depends on the person.

The company is progressive and I like the direction it's headed. Keep taking care of people and the business!

2. Great company and work atmosphere!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at La Madeleine full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Positive working environment where it feels your input matters. Good benefits to include medical, dental, vision and 401k. Seems to be promotional opportunities and room for growth within organization. Leadership is involved and has a passion for the concept. Understanding of work/life balance. Fantastic 50% discount!

Cons

Due to the rate the company is growing there are growing pains associated with getting processes streamlined and most efficient. I feel this will eventually work itself out.

3. Great brand

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at La Madeleine full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and team environment

Cons

Top down communication not always strong

5. Good place to grow as a young person getting into the workplace

Former Employee - Associate (Summer Job) in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Associate (Summer Job) in Katy, TX

I worked at La Madeleine part-time (less than a year)

Pros

My general manager, Tara Macias, cared about me as an employee; at the same time, though, she pushed me and my coworkers to constantly try to perform in the best, fastest, most efficient, and customer-focused way possible. Interesting people to work with - smart college kids who are going places make for interesting conversations; assistant manager from Ivory Coast brought French language to the workplace.

Good leadership opportunities by getting trained to do almost everything, and the longer you're there the more responsibility you are given.

I watched people advance from associate to manager during the time I was there, and I myself grew from simple line positions to managing the bakery over a short period of time as I got better at my job.

Cons

Sometimes felt like I had a hard time being proud of the food I was selling, because the prices were high, for the quality that the company offered, compared to other nearby places.

Occasionally an older coworker would behave inappropriately, coming on to other coworkers, but if it ever were to get serious I knew I could always simply talk to my manager.

"French" culture/atmosphere felt kind of fake and stilted when all the cooks were hispanic and only 1 manager was familiar with French culture.

I became more and more loyal to you when you gave positive feedback and criticism in a constructive way, so keep doing that.

There is a ton of paperwork to do at the beginning; perhaps consider saving paper and using an online service to have employees sign and read forms at home when onboarding.

6. la Madeleine is a restaurant where being clean, friendly and positive is valued.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at La Madeleine

Pros

The more of yourself that you invest in the company, the more you will enjoy the job. There is room for growth and certainly opportunities for challenge. You WILL stand out and be noticed if you have the self discipline to stay motivated regardless of those with whom you work.

Cons

Often the criticism of peers and superiors outpaces the number of times praise is received. I have received pay increases steadily for five years and I view those raises as non-verbal praise. However, the "well done!" comes far too infrequently.

Middle and upper management is quite adept at communicating with fair and honest criticism and feedback. However, it would serve them well to give verbal praise more often.

McDonald's on the Seine

Current Employee - Line Worker : Bakery in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Line Worker : Bakery in Arlington, TX

I have been working at La Madeleine

Pros

Got a free entree every day. Could take home a loaf of bread a day.
    Generally treated well by the public. Quiet workplace.

Cons

Not all co-workers know how to behave in a quasi-upscale environment. You don't yell, you don't play grab-ass, you don't talk street hustla smack. Mgmnt really should quash that.

Regardless of appearances, most of the baking in done centrally and trucked to the stores. The stuff that IS cooked in the stores is basically thawed and popped in a convection oven.

The cons of working at LM are largely those of working food service in general: working weekends and holidays, closing one night and opening the next morning, flakey co-workers.

After Patrick sold the company (to El Chico?) it kinda lost its soul. :-(

If mgmnt is going to play the "that's not how it's done in France" card it would be neat if they, you know, had ever been there. I have more time in French bakeries and bistros than any LM manager I've met to date.

But here's the big thing: LM gets away with the prices it charges because of the PERCEPTION of an upscale environment and food. Anything that detracts from this perception will cause customers to realize they just spent a non-trivial amount of cash on fluff.

You MUST keep the coffee, caesar salad, and bread up to snuff. Everything else can come and go.

8. opportunity for advancement, not for creativity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at La Madeleine

Pros

working in the Texas DFW area there is a lot of interaction with corporate, and surely if you manage to market yourself well there is opportunity for upwards mobility

Cons

corporate is more or less without much creative vision; conservative without much out-of-the-box thinking

open the company hierarchy up for advice from the part-time workers to the C-level

9. Good job for college/high school

Former Employee - Busser in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Busser in Houston, TX

I worked at La Madeleine

Pros

The management is very lenient when it comes to your education. Anytime I had something acedemic come up, they were very happy to help me out.

Cons

The compensation is a bit too low for the work that you actually do at the restaurant. As with all restaurant work, the people who came in late drive you crazy as the management allowed anyone in.

Keep in constant communication with the workers, overall just keep morale up, add comments but don't be so negative at times.

10. Fun place to work, with lots to learn!

Former Employee - Prep Cook in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Prep Cook in Houston, TX

I worked at La Madeleine full-time (less than a year)

Pros

50% discount on meals, end of night shifts managers would allow you to take home the pastry and bakery products, free sodas while you work, room to grow, and different places to work in the company.

Cons

Very slow after New Years, they drop your hours without any notice, they let you go home early after 30min to 1 hour later.

Keep open communication, don't hide from the employees, find ways to help increase productivity, and don't lie to the hard workers and don't be racist towards the non-Hispanic community.

11. Experience was meh.

Former Employee - Busser/Cashier in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Busser/Cashier in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at La Madeleine part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Most of the people I worked with were nice
    -It closed early at night
    -i'm not seeing a lot of pros, uh-oh

Cons

-I was hired to be a 'busser'. Turns out I was really a glorified janitor.
    -If you finished your tasks early, they found more mundane/useless tasks rather than letting you go home. There was no incentive to work fast.
    -The managers were very bad at making decisions. Just about any decent college student could and would have done better than these imbeciles. They seem to hire/promote to managers based on time working at the restaurant rather than based on the actual fit for the position. I and legitimately half the normal people working there could have done better. Much better.

Heads up to upper management, the store managers totally stole a lot of food.