La Madeleine

Updated December 27, 2014
Updated December 27, 2014
2.1

Jean-Roch Vachon

Do not enjoy working or serving here.

Current Employee - Cashier in Pearland, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Pearland, TX

I have been working at La Madeleine part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoy my co workers very much a very nice and chill group. Some people are more dependable to help you while working and some will trail off to leave you to do everything. I also enjoy the 50% discount for the food because that is the price i would rate the food.

Cons

The new set up is not really working well for the customers. I work in Pearland and everyone complains to me about how they do not like the new set up. when they order it takes while for their food to come out not because we are working slow but because we do not have enough staff in the kitchen. also when people oder a long order there waiting time is way longer because we do not bring the food out when it is ready but when ALL the food is ready to be sent out which can result to food being cold. (p.s. we do not have heating lamps idk why). The new system also is a cafe style where the customers get their own drinks, and utensils. I am a cashier but i do other jobs in the restaurant as well. Many times when i drop off peoples food they did not get their silverware and ask me where is the silverware. i tell them nicely that it is over there but i tell them i will get it for them so i am not rude and just make them get it but i do not enjoy being expected to get something that i am not entitled to get. Now the food is majority of the time fresh because we sell the food quickly. we do run out of food quite often which frustrates customers and that is managements fault for not having ingredients at a popular restaurant. The food in my opinion is not amazing and thats just because of the people who made the menu. I also think the food is overpriced for its taste that is why i enjoy paying half price for it. Overall I do not like working here because I work my butt off to give great customer service because that is how i am but our restaurant in pearland has been constantly getting bad reviews and i think it is management and the system in general. I also work very hard in my job and actually mastered other jobs to keep the restaurant running smoothly like, togo, expo, cashier, and runner. As a cashier in this restaurant you are basically expected to know how to do all of the jobs but you get the same pay. I personally think i put up with to much from the managers and customers even though i know i am doing my job and putting all my effort as well. I will not enjoy working here because i can not brag about the restaurant in general to the customers, poor food, over priced, and bad system set up. if you can not brag about the restaurant you work at then you will get bad reviews which employees do not want at all because they get punished for it. I would love to work at a olive garden or fancy restaurant because i actually enjoy the food and customer service. so in reality if i worked there i would be more motivated into working harder to uphold the expectation i would expect and give it to my customers.

I would say really investigate employees before you hire because there are some employees that should not be working there they only drag down the other employees and the restaurant. order food and supplies ahead of time, all the time !!!!!! running out of food and supplies is an easy fix but a huge inconvenience to the customers. Correct behavior of employees who really need to be corrected not the whole staff because we are not children and that method does not fix anything only hinders the whole staff. Have employee meetings and talk about what we need to work on specifically as a group and listen to requests and advice from staff as well. post paper signs about what needs to be fixed is not efficient.

Experience was meh.

Former Employee - Busser/Cashier in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Busser/Cashier in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at La Madeleine part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Most of the people I worked with were nice
    -It closed early at night
    -i'm not seeing a lot of pros, uh-oh

Cons

-I was hired to be a 'busser'. Turns out I was really a glorified janitor.
    -If you finished your tasks early, they found more mundane/useless tasks rather than letting you go home. There was no incentive to work fast.
    -The managers were very bad at making decisions. Just about any decent college student could and would have done better than these imbeciles. They seem to hire/promote to managers based on time working at the restaurant rather than based on the actual fit for the position. I and legitimately half the normal people working there could have done better. Much better.

Heads up to upper management, the store managers totally stole a lot of food.

Working for this company was just about the worst experience of my entire life.

Former Employee - Pastry Chef in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Pastry Chef in Arlington, TX

I worked at La Madeleine

Pros

There was no pros to me.

Cons

It's was physically impossible to do tasks correctly in the amount of time given and you were threatened to be fired for being to slow doing them correctly.

There needs to be at least three pastry chefs working at once to get the job done in the amount of time given correctly.

It's not a bad place for young people.

I worked at La Madeleine full-time (more than an year)

Pros

50% discount on meals
    Depending on your coworkers and managers it can be fun.
    Lots of different areas you can work in.
    Can work up to becoming a store manager.

Cons

Can be really boring during slow hours.
    Customers can be frustrating as with any food place
    Corportate and store managers will require certain monotonous tasks every night for closing.

Don't do it

Former Employee - Buss Boy in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Buss Boy in Alexandria, VA

I worked at La Madeleine part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people to work with.

Cons

No breaks
    Managers yell and cuss at you if you mess up.
    Late nights everyday
    Asked to work part time they gave a 45hr work week.
    Customers were super annoying to be around

Give you employees breaks and stop yelling and cussing.

Great brand

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at La Madeleine full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and team environment

Cons

Top down communication not always strong

Okay company.

I worked at La Madeleine part-time (less than an year)

Pros

50% off on products and food.

Cons

Low pay. Bad management

Horrible management

Former Employee - Bakery in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Bakery in Houston, TX

I worked at La Madeleine full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay, and working conditions (aside from verbal abuse)

Cons

They do not care about your physical needs. They WILL schedule you for four doubles in a row.

Care about your employees

La Madeleine is Complete Garbage

Former Employee - Cashier/Busser in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier/Busser in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at La Madeleine full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice co-workers, and decent pay.

Cons

prices and quality of food really sucks, most of the trainers are full of them selves and talk trash about you and others when your not around. Roaches were seen constantly by men and when i notified the managers they didn't do anything I kept seeing them esp. at night. Also a lot of BS and empty promises, I was told i was going to be given a raise and never got one (later found out that multiple people were promised raises and never received anything) and was also told i'd be cross trained and never was i got trained by asking the other employees and by doing it myself. Management likes to treat employees as if they're better than them, and that the employess are just a bunch of retards.

Open your eyes to whats going on in your stores and start treating your employees better. stop lying to them as well, if your not going to give them a raise or advance them don't tell them you will.

Great company with lot's of growth!

Current Employee - Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at La Madeleine full-time (less than an year)

Pros

New cafe openings offer plenty of room for advancement, good benefits, work life balance, and corporate is very supportive.

Cons

Plenty of room for advancement but that depends on the person.

The company is progressive and I like the direction it's headed. Keep taking care of people and the business!