La Petite Academy Reviews

Reset
2.4
La Petite Academy CEO Barbara J. Beck
Barbara J. Beck

Pros
  • Benefits for full-time employees (in 5 reviews)

• Career growth potential, working with dedicated people who truly care about children and educating them, making a difference in children's lives (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad training, low pay, them are a corporation interested only in making money (in 8 reviews)

• Full time is considered as 36 hrs (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Daycare Infant Teacher in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Daycare Infant Teacher in San Antonio, TX

I worked at La Petite Academy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Helpful and supportive staff and environment
    -lots of professional development and training opportunities
    -paid for CPR/AED/First aid certification
    -great pay and lots of opportunities to work extra hours
    -great benefits
    -company is great about providing new toys and supplies even before items are requested.

Cons

No Cons. I loved working there, and would still be working there if I hadn't moved.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing because you are doing a great job.

2. teacher

I have been working at La Petite Academy

Pros

Awesome, fun, staff is helpful

Cons

None at this moment in time.

Advice to Management

None

3. ok job

I worked at La Petite Academy part-time

Pros

Bonding with the children and watching them grow

Cons

Management except for a few of them

Advice to Management

Keep school staffed to meet ratio requirements

5. Daycare

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Cedar Park, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Cedar Park, TX

I worked at La Petite Academy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was great getting to work with children.

Cons

They don't practice what they preach very well. They really need to tighten up their system for following rules and regulations. To include enforcing it on all employees.

6. Too much

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Tampa, FL

I worked at La Petite Academy

Pros

The job is rewarding. If you love children, you will enjoy the job

Cons

It is absolutely too much work for what they pay. The entry pay id 8.50 unless you have a degree. Then they give you an extra dollar. The parents can be rude, and it feels like you're pulled in every direction to get the facility closed at the end of the night. The schedule was not consistent either.

Advice to Management

It's hard work to care for that many children. Pay your employees better.

7. Team Lead

Former Employee - Team Lead/Teacher
    Former Employee - Team Lead/Teacher

I worked at La Petite Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No weekends, being a role model for children, building skills for a teaching career, great friendships made with staff, closing time at 6 pm.

Cons

Given long breaks so that no overtime was paid. Inconsistent schedule, even when they promise you certain hours, low pay.

Advice to Management

Keep your schedules consistent! Teachers are aware that sometimes people call out sick or we are short staffed, but changing our schedules whenever you please without asking is unacceptable.

8. preschool teacher

I worked at La Petite Academy

Pros

off on weekends, they are open until 6.30 pm.

Cons

the time when i was working it was unorganized.

Assistant Teacher

Former Employee - Librarian Teacher Aide in Santa Fe, NM
    Former Employee - Librarian Teacher Aide in Santa Fe, NM

I worked at La Petite Academy part-time

Pros

I have my C.D.A Certificate, I worked with the Daycare at the Santa Fe Community college during the time that I was attending college. I enjoyed and have always loved working with children.

Cons

I enjoyed working for the short time that I worked there. At the time I felt that more attention should be given to the children.

Advice to Management

To check to see if the employees are all doing their jobs. Making sure that each child is being cared for.

high staff turnover and not enough focus on kids

Former Employee - Lead Teacher - Toddler Classroom in Chesterton, IN
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher - Toddler Classroom in Chesterton, IN

I worked at La Petite Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You develop a strong connection to the families and the children. You get your CPR/First Aid training renewed in one night, a 3 hour session, paid for by the school. You develop strong relationships with your fellow teachers.

Cons

Lack of respect from management. Pay is not equivalent to experience and education, even though they'll tell you it is. Raises are rare. Hours are sporadic and inconsistent. Substitutes when a teacher is sick are inconsistent. Teacher turnover is high. Teachers are forced to stay when sick, whether vomiting or while having pinkeye. Requesting to be sent home on time, rather than staying an hour or 2 over because no one steps in to send you home, is like pulling teeth, even when it's rare. Pay is not enough to support yourself alone, and, in my case, my manager's response to my need for a 2nd job was for me to get a loan. The kids are not the number one priority, your money is. Getting the necessary supplies for your classroom was nearly impossible, and I spent more time and personal money on my classroom than I ever should have. Rules and guidelines changed all the time and were inconsistently enforced, so it was difficult to know what was expected of us as employees. Many teachers I worked with have either found better employment elsewhere or are continuously looking, which I believe speaks highly for satisfaction levels. There was no assistance when needed, and the solutions for difficult behaviors (biting, in the toddler classroom, where I was a teacher) were brush-off answers (ie. "Move the child up. He's bored." But child continues behavior because behavior wasn't actually addressed). Also, management provided employee "fun" days and then changed rules and tried to take them away, when employees were following the theme appropriately. No room for movement, either. They would rather hire in from outside than give the promotion to someone within the company who is more qualified. Benefits really aren't that great either; insurance is United Healthcare and signing up for insurance is confusing. You only get a discount on childcare if you've been there 5 years as a teacher, and vacation pay is difficult to understand and takes a while to accrue. Also, when I asked to use my sick pay for the days I was out with pinkeye, I only received about 12 hours out of a full week. My sick hours are hours I earned and rarely used. There were 2 leads in some classrooms, as well, which does not work. There should either be a co-teacher team, or a lead and assistant, not 2 leads. I do not recommend La Petite as a place to work, not if you want to be respected and valued.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. The teachers are why your families are there, and when they leave, families leave. Pay rates should be fair and based on education and experience. They should also be enough that your employees are not struggling to get by.

11. Constant mess

Former Employee - Lead Infant Teacher in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Lead Infant Teacher in Springfield, MO

I worked at La Petite Academy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Doesn't expect much from the employees, regarding experience, professionalism, etc

Cons

High turn over, esp in management, corporate doesn't care about the problems of the schools; close one night, open the next, 12 hour days if someone calls in sick but you never get overtime; get sent home after 1hr if they screw up the schedule

Advice to Management

Treat your teachers with respect instead of like children (& respect the children more too!!)

RSS Feed </> Embed