La Petite Academy Reviews

112 reviews filtered by
2.5
La Petite Academy CEO Barbara J. Beck
Barbara J. Beck

Pros
  • Benefits for full-time employees (in 5 reviews)

• Career growth potential, working with dedicated people who truly care about children and educating them, making a difference in children's lives (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • very low pay for the amount of experience (in 8 reviews)

• pay is on the low side of any scale for any state, benefits are ok after the first year of full time work (in 7 reviews)

1. Great If You Don't Need To Support Yourself Or Others

Current Employee - Teacher in Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Port Saint Lucie, FL

I have been working at La Petite Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family environment, child care discount

Cons

Extremely low pay, management is very unorganized, center cares more about money than the children and you have to explain to the parents why things are the way they are

Advice to Management

Raise the pay of your workers and they might be a little more enthusiastic about coming to work. When you could better support yourself being a fry cook at McDonald's than being a teacher, there's a bit of a gap in motivation. Also, I would suggest that management treat their employees with a little more respect; telling us that "we all use the bathrooms so we are all going to clean them" and then making it so you don't have to clean them does not count as respect.

I felt like they tried to use me as much as they could and pay me the least amount possible.

I worked at La Petite Academy

Pros

Kids are fun! The establishments are pretty nice.

Cons

I was technically part-time, but I was working full time hours without the benefits.

Assistant Teacher

I worked at La Petite Academy part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule and weekends off.

Cons

Can't get sick for the first year i got sick once and had a doctors excuse, still got a written warning. Also they make you do alot of work for minimum wage.They also have favoritism with teachers some teachers will get away with alot of stuff. but the new teachers cant mess up once.

Advice to Management

Every teacher should be treated the same no favoritism.

5. Ashamed to put this on my resume

Current Employee - Lead Teacher-School Age in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher-School Age in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at La Petite Academy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Monday - Friday Only; some Holidays off
    Where I work the Director and Assistant Director are fair, and all other Staff are pleasant.

Cons

The buildings are in sad disrepair, and are too small for the amounts of children. Nightly cleaning crews only come three days a week and are incompetent, leading to gross rooms and furniture. The only time allotted for Staff to clean and prepare for lessons is nap time, which generally is when the children are most active. Nap Time allows for higher children-teacher ratios, so it is not uncommon to have 30+ three-year-old children "sleeping" to one teacher. Since Staff cannot leave children unattended, should a child have a bout with diarrhoea or vomiting, or just wet themselves, Staff have to deal with this while in ratio with the other children alone, even if the child's spare clothes are located elsewhere. The management I work with are kind and fair, but basically have to keep the establishment together with duct tape as they are not provided the resources to keep staff motivated, or repair faulty plumbing, etc. The facilities breed disease and less-than-sanitary practices, not because the Staff are lazy, but because the charts are impossible to follow with only one teacher in a room with a maximum State-allowed ratio. In my building, the School Age children do not have a bathroom or a sink. Those children must leave the room to use the facilities and are expected to share toilets with children who are still learning proper toilet etiquette (don't pee on the seat, etc). The toilets are constantly backed-up due to children throwing entire toilet paper rolls in and attempting to flush. Why? Because Teachers cannot monitor them due to the design of the building and the shortage of staff. The staff are expected to come to work sick, even with flu-like symptoms or gastro-intestinal issues as ratios must be maintained at any cost. Many of the Staff have their own children enrolled, and are all but forced to bring those children while ill as they must be at work. I have enjoyed 50% of my time at La Petite suffering from this virus, or that bacteria. The microbes are the only happy life-forms at La Petite! Forcing ill Staff to work so they aren't "written up" causes illness to spread no matter how many times to wash your hands... we aren't asked to remove our clothes and wash them after every sneeze or cough; thus the threat is never eliminated.

Advice to Management

REMOVE the write-up for calling-in sick, and stop pressuring staff to work while ill. Instead, require a note for absences longer than two or three days. Find a way to better compensate your employees, and hire reliable cleaning companies. Find a way to have a separate building for School Age Children or Pre-K and School Age, so they aren't penned up like farm animals in a building waiting for their 30-minute allocated outdoor time. No indoor activity in a room the size of your average family-room can keep 30 children engaged without incident, especially after a full day of school. Tour Government-Funded day cares to see the difference; where ratios are 11:1 for the oldest children, and "choices" for children abound, so they can develop and not just wait for their parent to take them away. Also tour large private-sector daycares to see how employees should be compensated. Or take charge and be a "Teacher" without anyone knowing who you are, so you can understand what you subject us to, and assess the staff's desires. I am disappointed with this experience, as I am ashamed to say I work there, and actually have to guilt myself everyday to show up, as the first priority is the Children, not my Pride. I shouldn't have to feel that way about my employer.

A huge lack of Communication with low ability to provide Materials

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at La Petite Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most workers know team responsibility , parents are willing to give insight on their child's habits & abilities

Cons

Workers including management lack communication , wait time for materials blocks the learning activities for children, favoritism & high school environment most of the time

Advice to Management

Give us information needed such as children enrolled, when to expect materials asked, upcoming activities, etc.
    remove yourself from gossiping,
    treat every worker equally,
    follow rules and set positive examples
    give us more of an opportunity to advance

Love working with the kids, however there is little pay and little support for teachers.

Current Employee - School Age Teacher
    Current Employee - School Age Teacher

I have been working at La Petite Academy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the management at my center, friendly staff (most of them) and love working with the kids. Great starter career to get your foot in the door.

Cons

Not enough support when working with difficult children, teachers do not get paid nearly enough for what they do. Teachers also do not always get enough supplies that they need for the classrooms due to lack of money.

Advice to Management

pay raises and room for growth in the company.

OK place to start your career

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Aurora, CO

I have been working at La Petite Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Super place to start if just starting out in the business. If you have creativity in the classroom, this is the place to experiment

Cons

Pay is VERY low compared to other centers. Curriculum is OLD and outdated. Never any planning time. Management cannot lend valuable support. High turnover of staff. Never enough budget to get simple supplies. OLD buildings.

Advice to Management

We know there is a bottom line. Just be kinder to your staff! Give us some freebies to make us want to stay! Jeans day....free. Theme day for teacher....free. Being NICE.....free.

9. Great place to work if you love children

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Midwest City, OK
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Midwest City, OK

I worked at La Petite Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a fun and energetic place to work, day time hours, weekends and major holidays off.

Cons

Pay is horrible and not much room for advancement even with training and college education.

Advice to Management

Do not let every kid in your daycare just for the money. The bad/crazy children make the environment hectic for workers and other children as well.

Assistant Director

Former Employee - Assistant Director in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Director in Sterling, VA

I worked at La Petite Academy

Pros

Great District Manager. Good benefits

Cons

I worked at la petite academy for only one week. I couldn't stay because of the horrible circumstances. The director hired me as an assistant however when I got the position she announced that she needed me as an afternoon teacher. teachers are there all day and getting two or more hours lunch breaks.

Advice to Management

If you want your staff to make your families happy, you should make them happy first.

Unappreciated and unhappy

I worked at La Petite Academy

Pros

Working with children and dealing with parents directly, you get an opportunity to see how you make a large impact on their lives

Cons

Management are paperwork driven and bonus driven so never available to help with teaching or children.

- pay is low
    - scheduling is highly variable and inconvenient (12 hour shift with random 2 hour breaks)
    - childcare discounts but no rights as a parent
    - hypocritical director (told us to leave out personal lives at the door... But called out of work for issues with boyfriend and daughter, stormed through center if having a bad day, talked about staff
    - regional level managers play favorites
    - if they didn't like someone, they were set up or pushed out

Advice to Management

Was told that the company doesn't hire people with 2 or 4 year degrees. They do not respect (or really pay) people for their education. Staff will better themselves and move on or stay there and be unmotivated.

La Petite Academy Photos