La-Z-Boy

Be The First To
Add Photos

La-Z-Boy President, CEO, and Director Kurt L. Darrow

Kurt L. Darrow

Pros:
  • "Great furniture that makes it very easy to sell"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Good product with decent training on the product"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Part time employees not paid well enough for what they are expected to do overall"
    in 6 reviews
  • "All the work is done by sales managers and associates while manager are rewarded for performance"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Nice business behind times technology wise

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
Toledo, OH

I have been working at La-Z-Boy full-time for more than a year

ProsNice environment not high pressure sales

ConsComputers, office procedures way behind times. Trying to run business off of 80's hardware doesn't work causes lots of paperwork issues

Advice to Senior ManagementBring your technology to match your image

Store Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at La-Z-Boy

ProsGreat product and great associate discount. Made in the USA.

ConsUpper management offers very liitle support when store managers really need it
They offer more support to non-management.

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieve in your managers and encourage their feedback instead of relying on unsubstantiated hear-say.

You can do better than this.

I have been working at La-Z-Boy

ProsEasy work. Very little pressure and upper management is so terrified of lawsuits, I've never seen anyone get reprimanded for not doing their job. In fact, they're usually promoted for simply being buds with the boss.

ConsPay structure is very misleading for "salary" employees. My hourly associates get almost minimum wage with no commission. Hard to motivate others to meet goals with no compensation to offer. Performance and pay is judged on KPIs you can't control. No support from corporate office.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop expanding and learn how to do the small things right before you overreach your boundaries and tank the retail division. Take constructive criticism like professionals and do some research for a change.

Typical for a metrics based company, rather than a merit recognition based compensation.

I have been working at La-Z-Boy

ProsGreat product and Brooke Shields

ConsClueless people in top paying positions by default

Advice to Senior Management0

Not a place for seasoned experienced Sales Peopleā€¦.

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at La-Z-Boy full-time for more than a year

ProsPay is decent, Good brand to sell, working with some nice long term repeat La-z-boy customers can make the day fun.

ConsLack of sales training - no support, if you are a skilled and trained closer this place will drive you crazy. This is like working at McDonalds and telling people you sell hamburgers.. I have never seen more professional order takers in my life.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach people how to sell, listen - listen - listen - listen to the experienced people you hire, they may have some great things to bring to table that can drive revenue and increase the bottom line.

Good Resume Builder

Customer Service Representative I (Current Employee)
Monroe, MI

I have been working at La-Z-Boy full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat discounts on the product and friendly coworkers. The company is still growing so there is room for new ideas to change and improve the organization.

ConsMgmt consistently makes changes without consulting the people who actually do the job, and then refuse to take constructive criticism because they want to see how their plans fare rather than avoiding problems in the first place. No real room to move up in the company. Seems like a blame game is played a lot and often policies are created that are not posted anywhere for reference.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk for and be willing to try the worker's advice!

Overall a Joke of a company that has no culture, structure, or internal support for there employees

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at La-Z-Boy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNot sure I can say I like much of anything. Mis leading company. 50 hrs plus and on days off your held accountable for the staffs performance. Corp not realistic in there expectations and have no clear goal. and the goals they have are not accurate or realistic. They have no clue how to run a big box business. Lack support from management and there is no recognition. They only notice when things are bad and hole staff accountable but never reward the improvements. A gain is a gain.

ConsDemanding work load for the retail store teams. Company expects staff to be merchandisers, furniture handlers, painters, maintanance people, cleaning crew, sales cultured, HR reps, inventory auditors, and insist that everything is micro managed from the corp level. Oh and in the down time sell furniture at the utmost quality. Without being sweaty and covered in paint after moving the showroom around. Unrealistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont attempt to concider this a career. Your just bonified sales people with authority.

Great Product! - Awful Store Management

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
O'Fallon, IL

I worked at La-Z-Boy part-time for less than a year

ProsI was a part-time associate for my store for about 4 and a half months. In that time my manager was very good about giving me the time off I required to pursue other hobbies while still working 25-30 hours a week. Flexible Scheduling

ConsSchedules would get written on friday (and sometimes saturday!). It would be a 1 week schedule (sun-saturday) and we would never get it until the friday before your sunday shift or the saturday before your sunday shift. Made it extremely hard to plan anything and frustrating. The manager at my specific branch was just all around awful. She has been in the business for yeas upon years and has not changed with the times and takes no responsibility for her store over-all. If something happens it is always someone elses fault.

Part-Timers are non-commissioned. Full-timers (sales-managers, store-managers, designers) make commissions and bonuses based off of what the part-timers write. Because of the scheduling problems I would drive 50 miles one way for a 3 hour shift, when it was not necessary for me to be there due to store traffic.,

Advice to Senior ManagementFind new leaders who will grow with the company and not create a stagnant working environment. Moral will never be high if you have a store manager who plays the blame game and does not appreciate the hard work everyone is putting in (part-time OR full-time).

I feel too much was expected from you for such little pay.

Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Fairfax, VA

I worked at La-Z-Boy part-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible schedule--People already sold on brand name--

ConsLow hourly pay rate-- Had to clean all areas of store, including bathrooms--Very little training for those that needed it--- Mystery shopped all the time--Too much expected from you for such a low hourly wage--

Advice to Senior ManagementHire cleaning people and pay your salespeople commission. You would get more professional people that way with lower turnover.

Overall average experience

Warehouse Worker (Former Employee)
Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at La-Z-Boy full-time for more than a year

ProsEasy work. Basically just running around fetching furniture and putting it in rows and unboxing.

ConsWork can get monotonous and boring. Also certain supervisors don't do a good job of allocating employees and time. Corporate comes in from time to time and tries to change everything but it never lasts. Also warehouse manager refuses to turn on air conditioner in the summer and heaters in the winter to save money.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllocate resources more effectively

Worked for La-Z-Boy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at La-Z-Boy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for La-Z-Boy CEO Kurt L. Darrow. All 79 reviews posted anonymously by La-Z-Boy employees.