La-Z-Boy

Updated December 20, 2014
3.1

La-Z-Boy President, CEO, and Director Kurt L. Darrow
Kurt L. Darrow

Pros
  • Great product compared to the rest of the market (in 7 reviews)

• Good product with decent training on the product (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Part time employees not paid well enough for what they are expected to do overall (in 7 reviews)

• Sales managers make 50k a year plus and store managers make almost 100k depending on the store (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

La-Z-Boy - an Excellent employer

I have been working at La-Z-Boy full-time

Pros

La-Z-Boy is an excellent place to work. Good people throughout the organization. Strong heritage and tradition. Solid benefits package. Pay is about what's expected from the furniture industry. Brand recognition is second to none. Quality is solid.

Cons

La-Z-Boy life is what you make of it. No real cons overall.

Micro-managed

Current Employee - Manager in Dayton, TN
    Current Employee - Manager in Dayton, TN

I have been working at La-Z-Boy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Steady, reliable pay and benefits

Cons

Unpredictable hours and no information

It's not a national secret...tell the people what's going on.

La-Z-Boy is an excellent company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroe, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroe, MI

I have been working at La-Z-Boy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A very good culture and work environment

Cons

Departments are staffed very lean

Sales... Not design

Former Employee - Interior Designer
    Former Employee - Interior Designer

I worked at La-Z-Boy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Looks good on resume, you learn selling techniques, and you have great customers and coworkers. Mostly well made, American-made furniture.

Cons

Design assistants do very little design.it's really just a pt sales job for $10/hour. Many design assistants quit shortly after getting hired because they were lied to regarding job duties. I ended up staying because I needed the experience and my boss was flexible with my hours (I have young kids). Also I love their furniture (except their recliners). The management at the store level was ok, but Our area director would come and basically pull everyone aside and give passive aggressive insults on performance and talk about bad performance by other employees. When managers quit he was cited as a reason.Also it was frustrating working at a laz boy owned store because you can go to Nebraska Furniture Mart and other retailers and get the exact same product for half the cost, including custom orders.

Be honest about job duties. Be clear that it's just sales, not design. Hire area managers who manage by finding the positive not always pointing out the negative (no matter how well you ARE doing). Sales and design assistants are paid $10/hour. dont treat us like we're commissioned sales people by yelling at us that we could be selling more. If that's how you manage then chg it back to commissioned sales.

A culture where everyone is encouraged to give ideas to improve their work and it's significance.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at La-Z-Boy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The support and expectation to succeed is incredible. A work family that actually cares who you are and how you can help improve the company and its culture.

Cons

Working weekends, that's about it.

Being a servant leader is what wins here.

Broken Promises

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Merrillville, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Merrillville, IN

I worked at La-Z-Boy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have flexible hours and take people who have no prior experience in sales or in furniture buisness.

Cons

You do not make commission no matter how much you sell, unless you are management. Sales managers make 50k a year plus and store managers make almost 100k depending on the store. You start off making almost minimum wage, and if you are good they will work you up until you almost qualify for benefits. They promise management positions and hold out for years until they have no one else unless they find someone from outside the company to come in. District managers come in maybe once a week and all they really do is run numbers and look at stores condition. The store managers and district managers really do nothing in regards to helping employees improve their sales other than complain and blame. After the end of the year reviews are submitted your HR director will come in and go over them with your store manager but never ask the people who filled them out what they meant.

Pay people what they are worth and if you see someone who has a talent for selling grow them. Get them into management as soon as possible and actively engage them. Also HR managers and people hire up then district managers should try to get down and talk to their sales associates. They need to remember they are the face of the company, they are the ones who hear what the customers like and don't like, and ultimately they are the ones responsible for a stores succes

Revolving door of employees/managers

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at La-Z-Boy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Product
    Liked my co workers

Cons

Terrible Training, it consists of a couple of days of online courses/quizzes.

Commission Structure is one of the poorest I've ever seen. It's 5% commission on your product sales. Plus a small commission for extras. The top writers at my location only made around $50K per year. So unless you write over a million a year, don't expect to come anywhere close to six figures.

The training pay they "guarantee" in their ads is only minimum wage and they limit you to 35-40 hours per week for the first two months. So unless you can live off minimum wage for two months I wouldn't recommend this place.

You won't see a decent paycheck til your 3rd or 4th month, you get paid on what you deliver. So if you sell a lot of special order stuff, it takes 3-4 months (sometimes longer) for it to arrive and get delivered to the customer. So it takes a while to get your pipeline built up.

Managers encourage lying to customers to sell the "guardian" fabric/leather protection. Encouraging us to tell customers it comes with it and if they decline the treatment we have to special order the chair without it and it'll take them 8-12 weeks to get it.

All in all, I wouldn't recommend this place if you're the primary earner for your family. It's an okay place for retired older sales people, or people who have a spouse who makes a lot and they just want this job for supplemental income. There are much better furniture places who have both better training available, and better pay structure.

Invest a little more money in training, make sure management is more competent.

Not a solid internship experience

Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Monroe, MI
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Monroe, MI

I worked at La-Z-Boy as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, relaxed environment, perfect work/life balance

Cons

too silo. decisions take forever to be made

focus on all workers, stop employing favoritism.

Great company, poor employee disciplinary procedures

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Tampa, FL

I worked at La-Z-Boy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was a full time job, and when there was foot traffic; met great people from different lifestyles.

Cons

Low volume store and low consumer traffic.

They should read the employ handbook on how to handle complaint and problem solving procedures. After, less than two months on the job I was terminated for making one lousy judgement call after a minor argument with my coworker. One girl who clearly has a problem making it to work and taking naps throughout the day and falling asleep at meetings, gets one week suspension and gets to keep her job. I guess if your daughter is the managers boss you can get away with stuff like that. I read the employee handbook completely and understood page 1 thru 24, the section titled: DISCIPLINARY PROCEDURES: In the event it becomes necessary to discipline an employee, one of the following types of discipline MAY occur: Verbal warning, written warning, final written warning and termination. I also read the section titled: CONFLICTS OF INTEREST: Maybe someone should read that section.

Office Employee

I worked at La-Z-Boy full-time

Pros

Great Staff! Co-workers made coming to work enjoyable. It was nice to work with a group of people who really cared about their work and each other. The benefits were good. The company is very family oriented and does a good job with supporting working parents.

Cons

Challenging to create a career path. Be prepared to hit the ground running and look for opportunities to create your own career opportunities.