LaFrance Reviews

2.3

George Barrar

Marketing and business development

I worked at LaFrance full-time

Pros

I spend 11 years at LaFrance and it was the best education in business that I could have asked for. The company promotes itself as "fair" - which seems simple enough, but I learned in my time there it is actually a huge challenge which they work towards every day. The almost entirely promote from within, which means even though it isn't a huge company - almost everyone gets the opportunity to grow and expand their experience.

Cons

LaFrance gets a bad rap on this site. Short term - promotions may seem slow and management decisions may seem overly bureaucratic. But I guarantee if you put your time in, you will leave with much more than you came with.

Increasing the flexibility of the work environment would do wonders for morale.

Lots of opportunity, appreciate hard workers

Former Employee - Team Leader in Concordville, PA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Concordville, PA

I worked at LaFrance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Casual dress, nice work environment, established policies, family owned, managed with the long term in mind, opportunities to grow and develop if you want them and work hard.

Cons

Lots of travel which may or may not be a good thing, hard to break through to an upper management position due to flat organization

Don't let slackers or poor performers stay. It's ok to fire someone for poor performance & who's bringing down moral

A nice laidback place to work, as long as you don't mind the below average pay.

Current Employee - IT Programmer in Concordville, PA
    Current Employee - IT Programmer in Concordville, PA

I have been working at LaFrance

Pros

Its a very laid back work environment. They generally accept projects to be completed whenever they are completed, with no real deadlines breathing down your neck. The company has a diverse group of employees, with the majority of entry level positions filled by recent college graduates. Somewhat flexible hours, it is not unusual for the CEO to call a half day when there is a special event going on on that day i.e. (major sports team playing during work hours).

Cons

Some of the managers hired are either very anal with their employees or are incompetent at their job.The pay is below average in all positions across the board.

Take a hard look at the under performing employees and managers, and replace them with someone that actually takes pride in their work.

Good place to start your career

I worked at LaFrance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Love the fact that they give you half days off before a holiday, this is unheard of and really makes for high morale! If the local sports teams were winning you may get off early to catch a game.

Cons

Most disappointing is CEO humiliating workers in company meetings. You have to have thick skin at this company and roll with it rather than take it personal. If you speak out of turn or do not answer the CEOs answer correctly he will make you sit under the table for instance, or leave the meeting. IMO this was not professional. I also didn't care for how much complaining coworkers did, I wish there was more of a team feel to the working environment.

Managers need drop the "do as I say not as I do" live by your example and your workers may get in a better team oriented mood!

Small family owned company with manufacturing plants in China

Former Employee - Engineering Manager
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager

I worked at LaFrance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Will promote from within and willing to create new positions to keep talent.

Cons

Small company small pay, can change bonus structures on the whim.

Create a better bonus and traveling pay structure, and stick to it.

Friendly and clueless

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at LaFrance

Pros

Friendly and decent management practices. Reasonable salary and benefits. Convenient location. Small enough to make understanding the operation and people possible.

Cons

Striking ignorance of best practices for information technology and sharing. Stolid immobility in the face of technological challenges and opportunities.

The first step in recovery is to understand the situation candidly. This is difficult for companies and substance abusers. The current management is remarkably self-satisfied, so this is a huge hurdle.

Lost in translation

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Concordville, PA
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Concordville, PA

I have been working at LaFrance

Pros

Work Environment
    Communication
    Small Company so approachable management

Cons

Always changing direction
    Hard to grasp job goals
    Favoritism
    No professional growth

Need a training process

path of least resistance

Current Employee - Account Manager in Concordville, PA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Concordville, PA

I have been working at LaFrance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

work-life balance. you can coast along if that's how you choose.

Cons

management clueless on real world. compensation below average

none, they won't listen anyways.

A Mediocre Experience

Current Employee - Project Manager in Concordville, PA

I have been working at LaFrance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Courtesy half-days right before a major holiday (Christmas, New Years, Easter, etc..)
    - Occasional free luncheons that bring some semblance of a community atmosphere
    - Some friendly employees here and there

Cons

- A very cold, stale work environment. Many empty cubes because of a huge lay-off in 2008.
    - Disgruntled employees who don't seem to take pride in their work or innovation. Not much collaboration.
    - An elementary view of how business works and the development and growth that should be taking place. Not very many people seem to know what they are doing
    - Passive-aggressive management style
    - China is difficult to work with because of quality issues, time difference, extensive paperwork
    - Using your imagination to appreciate the products sold. Sometimes its difficult to believe in the products.
    - Compensation is far below industry standard

Invest in a stronger ERP system. Have an outside consultant review the way this business is managed and systems operated. Hire more IT. Create a formal training program and solid HR policies.Celebrate employee achievements. Develop a mission statement and better identities for the company and each division.

Small private company in need of help

I have been working at LaFrance

Pros

LaFrance (LF) has a clean and casual work environment. When it is doing well, the company has numerous company sponsored events that promote a fun team environment. The majority of the company is 35 and under.

Cons

Micro management seems to be the encouraged style here, from top to bottom. Growth and opportunity for advancement is extremely small at LF. Salaries are only OK for college grads, but raises are hardly acknowledgeable. Manufacturing capabilities of the company are limited investment in improving them are slim. Retirement plans are dependent on the employee, as LF basically doesn't make any contributions outside of profit sharing. Paid vacations are limited (10 days/yr) to start, with minimal increase every year.

After the massive layoffs, LF is left with the most experienced employees and they continue to complete the workload that is only increasing. However, we have received minimal, if any, monetary reward. They haven't offered additional time off or other options to make up for this. We are treated like school children, where we HAVE to be in the office 8:30 to 5, and lunch from only 12 to 12:30 or 12:30 to 1. We are only allowed to flex once a month in the summers, and even that is frowned upon. Management needs to realize that if an employee works from home on occasion, it is not the end of the world. We send emails all day long to customers and to our team in China.