LabAnswer

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark Everding

You get out what you put in.....

Principal Informatics Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsI have found that what I get out of the job is dependent on the effort I put into it, both in satisfaction and compensation. LabAnswer gives you the freedom to be independent, you can run things as you believe they need to be run for projects to be successful.

I have worked for 6+ companies and I find the comraderie at LabAnswer to be better than any other company I have worked at. There is always someone that has an answer and is willing to help, if you ask for it.

I have also found that my compensation is closely tied to the value I bring to the company. Getting a competitive salary is not just based on being an employee of the company, it requires me to show that I provide value to the company. This pushes me to keep my skills up to date.

ConsEmployees are spread out across the USA and the world. Therefore it can be a challenge to keep up relationships with colleagues. Project sites are spread out as well. Travel can be overwhelming at times, but I have found that if the customer sees that I am able to work remotely and get things done I do not have to travel as often.

Amazing team that makes a difference.

Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros"Family" of brilliant, dedicated, and creative people who care about their clients, work hard, and actually do make a difference by making it easier for others to bring the aid, cure, or convenience their own customers need.

Pay is competitive, bonuses are generous, benefits are very good.

ConsThere are very few genuine cons. Travel can be tiresome, but the fact that clients and locations change helps to soften the blow.

LabAnswer - A company like no other

Senior Informatics Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsI have been an employee at LabAnswer for a very long time and I can confidently say that the negative reviews on this site reek of self-entitlement and self-pity. LabAnswer is a company where you can rise through the ranks, but only if you are willing to put in the blood, sweat and tears. Length of employment, mediocrity and self-serving agendas are looked down upon and severely discouraged. The management believe in the philosophy of the company and strive to make it a wonderful work environment. It is a company that is facing growth and surely there are missteps, but nothing that the employee community can't help rally together and rectify.

Big Pros -
    Culture and the absolute buy in at all levels
    Family atmosphere - the management strives to create a personal relationship with each employee
    Employees - Smart, sharp, bright, upbeat - sincerely some of the best I have worked with
    Flexible hours - As long as needs are communicated ahead of time and client needs are not impacted, you are free to make your own hours. Treated like responsible adults
    Team Attitude - Everyone is willing to help. If there is a new problem, people will call in provide support off hours to ensure that you are successful
    Management - Share all financial and sales information on monthly calls. You are encouraged to reach out and ask questions

ConsWork Life Balance - Have to be mindful. If you don't watch yourself. It is easy to over-commit. Pace yourself
    Virtual teams - Would love to meet folks and spend more time one on one, but such is the life of a consultant

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep up the good work. The Culture of this company is what differentiates us from the competition. Grow from within (as far as possible) so that this important market differentiator can make us the best and the brightest.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast, Growing, Dynamic, Caring Company = Great Job!

ProsLabAnswer is exciting! It is fast growing and the company cares about its employees and the business in its growth. Most of the management team has grown with the company but the newest management team members seem to care as much about the strong culture as the "old timers". There is a passion for this cutting edge company and niche career choice that I haven't seen in a long time.

ConsThere are growing pains and sometimes it is felt in our processes. The best part about LabAnswer is the proactive manner in which these growing pains are being addressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to cultivate the LabAnswer culture and let it evolve to meet the needs of a larger company.

LabAnswer is a great place to work!

Associate Manager (Current Employee) Sugar Land, TX

ProsFantastic Values
    Fantastic People
    Room To Grow
    A Company That Cares about its People and Clients.....really!
    LabAnswer is more than talk they do what they say...and it is refreshing!

ConsThe company is growing fast....it may be hard to keep the culture and work life balance but I know LabAnswer will work through this with the team culture that is alive and well there.
    I am not sure this is a con really but it is something that could effect the company.
    I have great confidense that LabAnswer will work through those challenges

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!!!

The most stable, engaging, and rewarding career of my life.

Senior Informatics Consultant (Current Employee) Kalispell, MT

ProsI had long wanted a job that satisfied my desire to learn more, gave me a sense of fulfillment,and was fiscally rewarding. If you are reading this, you probably already know that this is what I found with LabAnswer.
    What may not be as obvious, however, is that I found that I was working with people that quickly became like family to me. Not in the "annoying cousin you have to see on holidays", but in the opposite sense. The people you rely on when life throws you curve balls and all your assumptions about your future change. Management listens, they care, and they actively pursue the satisfaction of the employees as much as their clients.
    I wish i could convey how sincerely I type these words. It's been six years now, for me, and though I'm not management, I'm no less important for it. I doubt I would be able to find another company like this if I searched for another lifetime, and I have no intention of changing.

ConsThe work can be very challenging sometimes; perhaps more than what you could anticipate. That's the nature of this type of career, though, not the company itself.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep this culture alive, and it will continue to have a higher than 90% retention rate!

Cutting edge laboratory informatics, a company that puts into practice all that it preaches. Integrity plus...

ProsThis company truly functions as a team, with seasoned laboratory informatics professionals, available to support each other while working on the client site. I have been with LabAnswer just over 5 years and have never looked back. This is a company that values its employees and takes great care in helping to develop excellent career path opportunities. Ability to work from hone a plus, bonuses are consistently offered, and the company is growing at a positive rate.

ConsMost consultants travel 50% or more, but are well compensated by travel bonuses and frequent flyer points.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing - as the company grows, the positive culture MUST be maintained.

Very well thought out strategy and employee concerned approach

Principal Informatics Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsCustomer success focused, demands excellence but not perfection, non political (yeah), constantly looking to improve, highlights strengths, ethics and sound business judgement, fun culture that breeds team work

ConsConsulting and services environment requires stringent documentation of time, leadership is very busy, distributed working environment, occasional difficult customer, business is rapidly growing thus need to hire is constant

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up good work, have more lunch and learns, stay true to vision

Great job for someone with a Creative Entrepreneurial Spirit and drive to succeed

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsIt's a great environment for someone who really wants to learn and make a contribution to the success of the company. It’s a fast growing, small-to-medium size company but a very large presence in its field of specialty . If you’re performing well, your job is pretty secure. Things are always changing so you get to learn a lot about the latest technologies in the laboratory space. Training is extensive. It’s also a great place to find your niche career - unique in this job market!

ConsIf you are looking for a normal 9/5 job, this might not be the opportunity for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThings are moving so fast. Let’s take a moment to appreciate our success.

College grads, stay away!

Junior Informatics Associate (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsIf you are a college grad looking for work this place can seem appealing because you are most likely to work with people who are also college grads. This can facilitate the opportunity to make some new friends when moving to a new area.

Some good initial experience into the industry, good opportunity to network.

ConsThe disparity of reviews is very telling between individuals hired on as consultants and fresh college grads. As for all of you college grads you should notice there are a lot of 1 star reviews for the position you will be doing (Informatics associate), and for good reasons. The informatics associate position is very low pay, especially relative to the area you will live in. Prepare to be on a very tight budget. You have to jump through flaming hoops to get noticed and to even receive a decent wage. This is even more difficulty because you are also competing against your peers. Typically you have to threaten to work for someone else to get a pay raise. They continue to hire college grads in droves because they are able to bill them at a fairly high rate and keep your pay very low. You may also think that once you are promoted you will get a big pay raise. But after two years you will probably only receive 12-15%. Which for a STEM major is not competitive at all considering you start at $34k. They may also ask you to relocate to a higher cost area which will cut into your recent promotion. If you manage to get a promotion prepare to do a great deal of extra non-paid work. Management tries to keep you at the informatics position as long as possible because it is very profitable for them to do so.

The work you do can either be an excessive amount or very little. It seems to be bi-polar in workflow. One week you can probably catch up on twiddling your thumbs and then the next week you are putting in 50+ hours, and on certain projects you may or may not be compensated for it! For you computer science majors, you are not going to be able to stretch your curiosity or coding abilities very far. You will most likely be doing a slightly more complicated data entry job for several months. Then you will eventually be working as someone who answers support tickets.

You will be asked to be willing to travel up to 100%. But don't expect that in your time as an informatics associate. You will mostly likely travel once to get your client laptop or not at all. They also tell clients you are consultants but in the company you do not have that title. This is inherently dishonest to both parties.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a competitive wage.
    Actually be honest and have some integrity, otherwise they are just words on a wall.

Worked for LabAnswer? Contribute to the Community!