LabAnswer Reviews

Mark Everding

A dose of reality.

Current Employee - Informatics Consultant I in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Informatics Consultant I in Orlando, FL

I have been working at LabAnswer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After reading other reviews, I felt it necessary (as a happy employee at LabAnswer) to shed a positive light on some things written that I just flat out disagree with, so to offer a fair weigh in on the company. To start off, introductory salary tends to be a common complaint. Those who join our team (like myself) with prior work experience typically accept the salary with an understanding of the true value LabAnswer offers through the CoE's associate training program. The fact that LabAnswer hires candidates from diverse backgrounds, pays them for training, finds them work, and gives them a leg up in promoting their personal brands is simply unheard of for experienced job/career hunters. If they didn't do this, most people who left negative reviews would have likely never been hired. Another common complaint is that of work hours. Realistically, anyone who aspires to build a personal brand in any type of consulting should be willing, or rather compelled, to devote the time it takes to be a great consultant. To teach this concept to recent grads, means to tell them it's reasonable to devote 50 hours or so to their work, inclusive of the extra time that should be spent on professional development. This isn't a requirement, but that extra time devoted to development is what sets one associate apart from another at review time, and honestly, that personal dedication is what exemplifies the types of people who keep me motivated in my job here. Not only is the CoE an environment of collaborative training, but the actions of management demonstrate that they are willing to learn as well, which to me speaks volumes of their integrity. I've honestly never had a job where this was the case, and for the reason that NOBODY here is above an opportunity for improvement, I know that my feedback is valuable even when it isn't overtly solicited, and I'm unafraid of being completely honest with my management. Unlike some of our recruits though, I've had several other jobs, so I also understand how some may be quick to seek greener pastures and lack context to see any pros about the experiences they had at LabAnswer. I'll leave you with this: IF you seek an opportunity to build a career, you desire job stability AND growth, you put in the work to get ahead, you have a genuine interest and affinity for learning new things, you care to make a difference in the world, you have opinions and feel comfortable professionally expressing them, and/or you lead by example, you will likely have a hard time finding a better opportunity than that which LabAnswer offers. Furthermore, chances are that if you are this type of person, you'll be hired and you'll really enjoy working here, as I do. If these are things you have no interest in, go work for the man at a 9-5 - it probably would have never worked out between us in the long-run anyway...

Cons

What would the pros be without cons? Take these with a grain of salt, as you should every other review you read...ever. Potential career growth != money in your hand today. The starting salary is less than ideal, but I willingly took the (temporary) pay cut. Consultant work, regardless of any industry, is tasking. Building a career with LabAnswer is not a cake-walk, and cannot be done in 40 hours or less per week. As the company grows (and last I checked, growth is a great thing), it IS experiencing some growing pains. This is normal. The fact that they're adjusting and work to be transparent in their efforts is just a proposition of patience. Bottom line: your yield is directly proportional to your input. This job just isn't for some people.

Advice to Management

Be careful of over-promising associate opportunities to candidates. What you offer, in its own reality, is great enough to the right recruits. Beware hiring the blindly ambitious, work/life-inexperienced, face-melting computer/science recent grads. Some lack self-motivation, tend to be passive-aggressive, will be less likely to adopt and reflect corporate values, and will not hesitate to burn bridges when they move on in their careers. Continue calling what is, is. Every negative review on here is a learning experience, and regarding every opportunity as such is exactly what makes us work. "To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing." ~ Aristotle

Reality

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at LabAnswer (More than a year)

Pros

amazing work atmosphere Honest management Great work friends Lots of help provided to achieve your goals Management will try its best to accommodate you and try to make you feel comfortable

Cons

You will need to learn alot of stuff when you start (not necessarily bad but it might get hectic) The pay is low....like really low especially when you start It will take a long time to even be offered a promotion. Promotion doesn't necessarily means better money as much as alot more work

Advice to Management

Be honest when you are hiring people and don't give them the false hope that they will be promoted quickly

"Diversity?! What's that??"

Former Employee - Informatics Consultant in Orlando, FL

I worked at LabAnswer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Well reputable, well established, well performing informatics company in the industry

Cons

- The Orlando CoE is a JOKE. - The culture at LabAnswer has a subtle, yet disturbing undertone of prejudice to it. If you're non-white, you'll see quite a conspicuous glass ceiling. The company’s based out of Texas after all. Toward the end, I was confused over my hiring, considering I'm not of Anglo-Saxon descent. Was the purpose perhaps to “meet the quota”? Once you finally decide to face the ugly truth head on, and come to the realization that your colleagues are faring better than you, look no further than their [insert controversial criterion here] for the reason. You’ve been forewarned.

Advice to Management

Touting yourself as the biggest consulting firm in the world (!) does not necessarily make you desirable with all the not-so-petty problems.

Familiar Pitch

Former Employee - Informatics Consultant in Orlando, FL

I worked at LabAnswer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

LabAnswer is insulting readers’ intelligence by posing as members and posting rosy self-praising “reviews”. It’s the same pitch they use to sell the company to prospective employees actually. They’ve ratted themselves out further by writing oxymoronic complimentary cons (CON is the new PRO. Haha.) and Advice to Management. I’m not saying the last two “reviews” have necessarily and directly come from the employer. They may very well have put their favorites up to it. IN FACT, upon further review, I discovered that more suspicious posts exist on prior dates in a juvenile effort to neutralize criticism. I worked there long enough to tell you how it went down: Monday morning, the company, being registered on glassdoor via an employer account, sees a notification in Inbox alerting about the two unpleasant reviews from the weekend of August 14th, clicks on the links, reads them, panics………..and voila! The two stellar reviews go up one after another - conspicuous and impulsive yet cunning, as non-members can only view the most recent review. By the way, does defending the low pay but not addressing the bigotry accusation imply admission of guilt? It’s so controversial and serious that the company seems to have completely skipped over it. Readers have intelligence, sound judgement, and neutrality. Let’s leave it up to them to determine which pieces could be more accurately reflective of “doses of reality”. Better be psyched for LabAnswer’s comeback, coming right up disguised as another fantastic review. ;-)

Cons

Can't think of any cons. ;-)))

Meh

Current Employee - Senior Informatics Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Informatics Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at LabAnswer (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot to the industry and technology for Laboratory Management. You will learn all this information very quickly as well as being trained on a LIMS system (I was trained on LabWare). You will also gain knowledge in SQL or other database languages. So, if you do not have much background in IT or Computer Science then this is good place to learn.

Cons

Managers at LabAnswer consider 50+ hours to be good work-life balance while they are paying you a measly $40,000 for your first two years of work. Yes it is consultant work which really pays you hourly, but they want you to contribute 10 more hours to the company for free! And that seems to be the only way to gain a minimal promotion to $45,000. If you think that LabAnswer wants to promote internally then think again. I saw about 10 senior managers get hired and about half of them quit or get fired in the last year. In addition, if you have a Computer Science, do not apply!! It is a black hole of your talent.

Advice to Management

Pay more if you want the lower level employees to do more.

Informatics Associate

Current Employee - Informatics Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Informatics Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at LabAnswer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome company culture. An amazing approach to developing technical and professional skills. Fast-growing company with amazing opportunities and a variety of career paths.

Cons

I do not expect to find anything negative here. Salary is average at the entry level; however, considering the amount of experience you can get into the industry with it's not terrible.

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome culture as we grow. Keep fostering the technical and professional development in new associates. The Center of Excellence is something special.

Good Company To work for

Current Employee - Informatics Consultant
    Current Employee - Informatics Consultant

I have been working at LabAnswer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to chart your own path if you do a good job. Although they are growing they are still keeping true to taking care of their employees and clients. Bonuses are good and something you can mostly plan on

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities but the pay is good. Too much focus on profit. Clicky atmosphere

Advice to Management

Occasionally demonstrate that profit is not the most important focus. Try to demonstrate that there are career paths that more than a few people have experienced. Attempt to learn the names and a little about each employee.

Recently left the company because of pigeon holing

Former Employee - Outside Consultant in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Outside Consultant in Sugar Land, TX

Pros

Thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful peers I worked with. Most all are generous and willing to help one another out and band together when things get tough. Miss the camaraderie but had enough of the other BS. Payroll group is quick to pay out of pocket travel expenses.

Cons

Career path is not a career path, they put you in a position where you will make them the most profit. They talk career path up in your review but expect only you to do the work. They love to mention mentoring but if you are not a token one you get nothing. Bottom line their key concern is about the money and not your moving productively forward in your career.

Advice to Management

Listen to the message you send versus what you are actually doing. There is a definite click at the top and you all think you know what is right, especially the one heading the CoE and he is clueless. Some managers take recommendations from consultants and call them their own. Make time to truly listen and create teams. Saying you do this is smoke and mirrors because you bounce the consultants around like pieces on a game board, this creates no cohesiveness. What is the strategy? More bodies does not always mean better teams when you continuously break people up from contract to contract.

Worst company I have ever worked at

Former Employee - Informatics Consultant
    Former Employee - Informatics Consultant

Pros

Training videos are better than the vendors and the non management/supervisor people are nice and fun.

Cons

Management is lacking many qualities to make a truly good company. Instead it is a lot of smoke and mirrors for support and backing. Partners are buying into the smoke but I guess they are in a time in their life they just want the profits. Lots of out of pocket expenses.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be wiped clean and rebuilt especially at the COE in Orlando.

Great company with a defined path to walk

Current Employee - Junior Infporamtics Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Infporamtics Consultant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at LabAnswer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with Great company values If you are willing to learn you will learn many aspects of laboratory informatics and project management

Cons

Low starting salary Depending on your project you may end up traveling a lot

Advice to Management

Salary adjustment according to impact that each individual has in a project

RSS Feed </> Embed