LabAnswer

Updated December 12, 2014
Updated December 12, 2014
3.5

Mark Everding

Great company with a defined path to walk

Current Employee - Junior Infporamtics Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Infporamtics Consultant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at LabAnswer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with
    Great company values
    If you are willing to learn you will learn many aspects of laboratory informatics and project management

Cons

Low starting salary
    Depending on your project you may end up traveling a lot

Salary adjustment according to impact that each individual has in a project

A help-desk, not a professional services consulting firm (but that's okay).

Current Employee - Senior Informatics Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Informatics Consultant

I have been working at LabAnswer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty cool group of workers who are a great time. If placed on the right project you can learn a lot.

Cons

This company is going through a transformation. That isn't a bad thing in itself, there is just a cognitive dissonance when it comes to management understanding the company. The LabAnswer of old sought to be subject matter experts in their field, this served them well for a while but they don't seem to want to pay for the elite in the field. Now they prefer to grab discount bulk work rather than high quality less busy work.

The new direction of the company is more along the lines of a help desk. There is a massive push to move towards EAS (enterprise application support). This can be great as it supplies some rare skills at a very low cost to customers, but this isn't a great place to get stuck in. This field of work can be kept for years doing the same thing over and over, this is good for the company as it secures long term profits, but it dilutes the brand of the company. It prevents employees from being on the cutting edge of technology and industries in general.

Be fully aware, most people are not consultants. There is a difference between a consultant and a support desk or a contractor.

Be honest about the direction of the company. Pay to secure quality people and leaders.

Okay

I have been working at LabAnswer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cool field, nice coworkers. It's pretty reliable work in a growing field. Lots of things you can learn while being here.

Cons

Expectation of giving up your personal life completely to grow. You can easily stay where you are but expect 50+ hours a week to even have a chance at crawling up rhe ladder.

Chill out

Hyper focus on profit

Current Employee - Informatics Consultant

I have been working at LabAnswer

Pros

Great experience, great colleagues, engaged management.

Cons

Management makes a lot of empty promises, compensation dramatically lacks behind competitors, focus on profits over people.

Focus on organic growth rather than forced. Don't play games with quality people.

excellent culture and management

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at LabAnswer full-time (less than an year)

Pros

excellent management, great culture, customer focused, long term focused, good benefits, good pay, excellent career opportunities, growing, good people.

Cons

tough market, small company, high turnover of consultants, benefits OK, 401K vesting schedule is slow, no global presence, no offices in US

keep growing

Fake it til you make it

Former Employee - Informatics Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Informatics Consultant in Orlando, FL

I worked at LabAnswer full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The owner, president were there when the company was driven by integrity, and a drive to truly work for the client to make them happy so I believe that if the cleaned house especially with senior managers the company would be an amazing place to work again.

Cons

Senior manager are great sales people selling new associates on bad work ethics, mentoring, bonuses and teamwork as well as clients on invalid work. I have seen this first hand as well as SH in the workplace. I sent the harassment complaint to HR with no result so be careful.

No management advice since they would just blow it off and sell everyone on how much of a lie what is said is. I think the upper powers to be need to give a review on the orientation that is given and make management take a lie detector test.

Terrible

I worked at LabAnswer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly people, good area. You learn a few things.

Cons

Terrible turnover rate, pay, work-life balance. If you fall victim and work there, leave after a year. Your pay, benefits, and job will be much better after getting your foot into the industry. Management is dishonest about career path, pay, and the work you will be doing. They promise that you will work from home when you are a consultant but they never follow through, and they never want you to leave the central office. Lies, lies, and more lies.

Resign

Great Entry-Level Opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Informatics Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Informatics Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at LabAnswer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very engaged senior management. Friendly and helpful coworkers. Training and mentoring are a big part of position. Good benefits. Opportunity for advancement.

Cons

The company is performance based so you really need to work hard to excel, some people get frustrated when they don't want to go the extra mile.

LabAnswer is a great company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at LabAnswer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

LabAnswer is a dynamic company with opportunities to expand your skillset and become a great consultant. The support network within the company is incredible.

Cons

If you do not like to travel, this type of consulting work will not suit you.

keep your values, keep treating your employees as well as you do, keep your bi-annual employee meetings.

You get out what you put in.....

Current Employee - Principal Informatics Consultant
    Current Employee - Principal Informatics Consultant

I have been working at LabAnswer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have found that what I get out of the job is dependent on the effort I put into it, both in satisfaction and compensation. LabAnswer gives you the freedom to be independent, you can run things as you believe they need to be run for projects to be successful.

I have worked for 6+ companies and I find the comraderie at LabAnswer to be better than any other company I have worked at. There is always someone that has an answer and is willing to help, if you ask for it.

I have also found that my compensation is closely tied to the value I bring to the company. Getting a competitive salary is not just based on being an employee of the company, it requires me to show that I provide value to the company. This pushes me to keep my skills up to date.

Cons

Employees are spread out across the USA and the world. Therefore it can be a challenge to keep up relationships with colleagues. Project sites are spread out as well. Travel can be overwhelming at times, but I have found that if the customer sees that I am able to work remotely and get things done I do not have to travel as often.