LabCorp

Updated January 7, 2015
3.1

LabCorp Chairman & CEO Dave King
Dave King

Pros
  • Quality co-workers, leads and supervisors, good benefits for full-time (in 26 reviews)

• Great benefits with plenty of overtime opportunities (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management needs to put process in place to make it easier for project managers (in 18 reviews)

• Work/Life balance causes waning relationships due to the fact that I work 2pm-1am (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

32 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Technologist

Former Employee - Technologist in Burlington, NC
    Former Employee - Technologist in Burlington, NC

I worked at LabCorp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good for experience in the long run, a good job to get out of college or if you are just starting your career. Not as strict as other labs.

Cons

Pay is not very competitive, but good for little experience

process engineer

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Burlington, NC
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Burlington, NC

I have been working at LabCorp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Challenging Projects, Great management methodologies, flexible schedules when vacations are needed. I enjoy the relationship with my coworkers very much.

Cons

Salaries are little bit on the low side.

ITs ok

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Burlington, NC
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Burlington, NC

I have been working at LabCorp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

IT can be a great place to work if oyu are in a good department and have good supervisor and management. The hours are good and they work with you if you have appointment or getting kids to and from school.

Cons

The cons are the pay. They do not pay as well as most think and nothing compared to surrounding cities. in addition, it is hard for some to move up. IT is not based on experience or education but more who you know.

It's a Job

Current Employee - Technologist in Burlington, NC
    Current Employee - Technologist in Burlington, NC

I have been working at LabCorp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My Schedule is really flexible and benefits are a plus!

Cons

Pay and morale super low. Well the morale is low because the pay is low. It's really just a mediocre dead end job. Not much room for growth just laterally.

How do you promote a person but not give them a raise? From trainee to tech to sr tech there is not a pay increase just the yearly 2 percent. So I suggest you either give the people a raise or just don't promote them at all, because people have false expectations and once you get a promotion with out the extra pay incentive it's discouraging and kind of rude!

Easy to get foot in the door, slow to move up (DNA Technologist) Burlington, NC

Former Employee - DNA Technologist in Burlington, NC
    Former Employee - DNA Technologist in Burlington, NC

I worked at LabCorp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Entry level positions were fairly easy to obtain, requiring little to no experience. Benefits were decent (insurance, stock purchase plan, etc.). For entry level folks, you usually work with a lot of young people so the environment can be enjoyable, if that's your thing. Jobs are relatively stable and safe. Work is not terribly stressful. Environment to gain the essential "experience" then move on.

Cons

Shift work - all entry level lab jobs were 2nd (3:30-midnight) or 3rd (6:30P-3A), so be prepared for all the pitfalls of that. Pay was pretty meager, even after 10% shift adjustment. Time off was minimal but grew with years worked, and sick and vacation time were all lumped together. Work is VERY repetitive (basically "assembly line" laboratory work with no variance), and often depends on how well or quickly the previous shift did their jobs. As with any company that employs young people, the environment can often resemble high school. As a motivated person it was frustrating to put my all into my work each day and watch others half-*ss it with no repurcussions.

As far as career growth, there were very few opportunities to move ahead. It was a big deal to get a 1st shift position (even considering the pay cut) and there was a wait list for these. Most management was 1st shift and all had been there for ages (many longer than the new hires had been alive!), so the only opportunities to move into management were on 2nd or 3rd shift. Impression was that getting a 1st shift management position (the height of most long-time employees' ambitions) was more based on how close you were with the upper management in the building than on qualifications, and these openings were very rare in my time there.

Overall, it was clear that talented people left for the most part because talent and drive were not rewarded. In hindsight, this makes sense as the work could be done by most anyone once trained, so in the end there was no point in trying to stand out in a "factory" laboraty.

Find ways to keep more talented employees by incentivizing them to stay. Provide a more visible growth ladder to entry level hires.

Work elsewhere

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Burlington, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Burlington, NC

I worked at LabCorp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Steady paycheck, benefits, decent pay, good training model

Cons

No employee appreciation, out of touch management, very strict attendance policy, you work a lot of holidays (Christmas Eve included), not a lot of room for growth

Make employees feel that they are appreciated! That is the #1 reason I left. I wasn't allowed to participate in the one thing you do for your employees "Lab Week" because I was chained to my desk. I had to ask to go to the bathroom like a 5 year old. You treat Christmas Eve like any other work day when most companies give you the whole week off. I understand you work on a hospital schedule, but a thank you would have been nice.

Not the best job

Current Employee - His in Burlington, NC
    Current Employee - His in Burlington, NC

I have been working at LabCorp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friends I have made there

Cons

No one is treated the same

Treat everyone the sane and with respect. You get better work results that way

Good position; terrible mgmt

Current Employee - Project Analyst in Burlington, NC
    Current Employee - Project Analyst in Burlington, NC

I have been working at LabCorp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Job is great and secure. Analysis is fulfilling. I feel I contribute greatly to the company with the work I perform. Those in mgmt who know what they're doing are actually really good ppl to work for. They possess leadership skills that others should follow.

Cons

People move up not by their skills but by who they know and their connections. There are lots of unqualified and incompetent people who I have no earthly idea how they even landed a job into the company. My only conclusion is it's who they know not what they know. With this setback I'm left working alongside some very unprofessional people who lack education and skills and knowledge who therefore finagle their way around until they deceive some unsuspecting manager who has no clue how to do their own job to begin with into hiring them into the department. Before I know it I'm surrounded by waves of idiots who are hired to do the same level job I do yet have no idea what they're doing. And we get paid the same. That's the most insulting part. Pay isn't up to par either. And annual raises are below par.

When pandimonium hits don't panic. More importantly don't react! Plan instead! Mgmt in the billing department react more than they plan. This leads to an unnecessary sense of panic and fear among your employees. Don't hire people just because you know them but hire people who are actually competent and possess enough intelligence to take initiative and get the job done right the first time. Perhaps if you hired people with higher education you would yield better quality results. Of course this would also mean paying better. At least you would get better output than the huge messes created in the billing department.

Virology Department

I have been working at LabCorp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for overtime, small department so its easier to get your time off approved compared to bigger departments

Cons

Pay is not competitive, no room to move up within the department, have to work lots of overtime during flu season and work weekends during the year so baylors can have days off, lots of drama between coworkers

Great place to learn skills for the future

Current Employee - Laboratory Technologist in Burlington, NC

I have been working at LabCorp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

LabCorp gives plenty of time off. Starting off you receive 3 1/2 weeks of time off. They have excellent training to start your job off right.

Cons

It is very difficult to get into leadership positions. There are very few and it take quite a bit of time. The health benefits and pay could also be better for the work that we do.

Please consider giving your employees better compensation for the work they put in. Employees do not receive wages that reflect the skill, expertise, and work ethic that one must have in order perform on the job.

LabCorp Photos