LabCorp

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015

LabCorp Chairman & CEO Dave King
Dave King

Pros
  • Quality co-workers, leads and supervisors, good benefits for full-time (in 26 reviews)

• Great benefits with plenty of overtime opportunities (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management needs to put process in place to make it easier for project managers (in 18 reviews)

• Work/Life balance causes waning relationships due to the fact that I work 2pm-1am (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place for gaining experience, not so great for upward mobility.

Current Employee - Specimen Accessioner
    Current Employee - Specimen Accessioner

I have been working at LabCorp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fairly easy to get hired here, growing company so good job stability.

Cons

Since it's a growing company workload has GREATLY increased without any other compensation for the new workload, longer work hours than advertised, very little information is passed down to employees unless a mistake is made.

There has been an increase in upper management communicating with workers but along with the workload increase for accessioners, there should be new schedule policies as well. Everyone who is an employee should have an operation email address for better communication of memos and SOP updates.

patient service technician

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Bay Saint Louis, MS
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Bay Saint Louis, MS

I worked at LabCorp

Pros

public communication with helping individuals with terminal illiness

Cons

getting patients in and out in a timely manner

helping an individual with maintaining life is a blessing whether it is my or a co-worker

Learned a lot

Former Employee - Clinical Lab Technician
    Former Employee - Clinical Lab Technician

I worked at LabCorp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Can choose work schedule, flexibility around what days to work and/or hours

Cons

personal growth limited, no bonuses

An industry leader, but beware...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

I worked at LabCorp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

LabCorp can be all things to all people in the clinical lab industry. Fairly good benefits, good compensation package and reasonable performance expectations. Management quality varies by region; many are managers because they excelled in sales and wisely moved into operations. Not all of them should be managers because they are not team builders.

Cons

Beware third quarter each year, especially in sales. Regional middle management review their annual budget projections during this period. If there is some doubt the region will not make budget by year end, they look for places to cut overhead. If your sales are average or worse, or if your base salary is near the top of range for your position, you may be laid off without warning. This is timed so that the work you've booked for the year is essentially finished (October), thus your productivity is not missed thru the current budget year. Get copies of your review and an attorney if you're over 50 and have good reviews. Demand pro-rated commissions/bonus' through your termination date.

Counsel sales employees how important it is to consider career movement within the organization in addition to sales productivity. A moving target is harder to find than a sitting duck.

I've Been Labcorp going on 4 years this June.

Current Employee - P S T SPECIALIST
    Current Employee - P S T SPECIALIST

I have been working at LabCorp

Pros

Best job & company I've ever worked for!!

Cons

A lot of times it's hard to get coverage when needing off due to shortage of "floaters".

Hire more PRN,s to cover for full time workers to use our PBS time as needed.

Excellent Sales Team

Current Employee - Key Account Executive in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Key Account Executive in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at LabCorp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Labcorp offers a great work environment. It is the best clinical reference laboratory in the world, and I am proud to work at a company that invest heavily in science and the latest technology. Employees are valued and respected.

Cons

The training for the sales team could be more extensive regarding information technology. Most of the I.T. issues that I've come across when dealing with customers have been learned on the go. I wish I knew more about interfaces so I could be a more valuable resource to the client.

Keep up the good work. Thank you for encouraging me to persist in my efforts to correct problems. I have always felt as though I had a respected opinion.

Technologist

Former Employee - Technologist in Burlington, NC
    Former Employee - Technologist in Burlington, NC

I worked at LabCorp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good for experience in the long run, a good job to get out of college or if you are just starting your career. Not as strict as other labs.

Cons

Pay is not very competitive, but good for little experience

All About The Benjamins, Not the Employees

Current Employee - PST & Accessioner in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - PST & Accessioner in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at LabCorp

Pros

Great job for those who love multi-tasking and independence. Quarterly bonuses for cash revenue collected. Pay is almost double of that of local hospital phlebotomists.

Cons

You only get phone calls or visits from Management when they need to reprimand you. You get talked to like a dog by patients at times yet are to kiss hind end. Management itself is clueless how to use the Phlebotomy/Accessioning equipment/programs. My team lead didn't even know how to delete a drop off. I had to show HER?! I'm in a rented space and forced to share lobby with physicians and their patients. No HIPAA in place for patients signing in on the desk in a public waiting room. No working refrigerator or microwave to use for my 30 minute lunch, had to buy my own. Forget about showing your patriotism or love for holidays as you're not allowed to wear anything but solid scrubs for fear of "offending" a non-believer. Forget about calling in sick as they don't have enough floats to work for you. If you do have a true emergency it still counts against your review.

Why is a site with a single PST who sees over 500 patients a month in a crumbling, moldy building that hasn't been remodeled since it was built over 30 years ago? I make you enough revenue to have a free standing lab or at minimum a partition and private entrance into the building. You expect me to come to work happy to work my hind end off when I get a 1.5% annual raise and you in turn raise my insurance at least 3%? On top of that you only offer insurance plans who cover 80% of my cost? And HELLO, not everyone in the United States has a credit/debit card! Stop punishing your employees for what we have no control over! For God's sake make sure the floats actually know what they are doing. I am so sick of their 'I won't be here tomorrow, so let's half way do things' attitude.

Good work / life balance.

I have been working at LabCorp full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have a flexible working schedule

Cons

There is at times poor communication between departments.

The advice I was given was to "play the game."

Current Employee - Key Account Executive in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Key Account Executive in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at LabCorp

Pros

No supervision if you like to sit at home all day.

Cons

No real metrics and they cheat you out of bonuses by way of charge backs for errors that you did not make. If a line worker breaks a tube, it comes out of your pocket.

Tie efforts to outcomes and pay on UNITS SOLD.

LabCorp Photos