Labatt Food Service

Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Delivery Driver  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time for more than a year

Pros

Premium benefits, great and improved pay, friendly management, great bonuses and incentive, one of the easier jobs in foodservice, great loads.

What sets Labatt apart from a lot of companies is the ground-up training available to completely inexperienced individuals willing to begin a career as a professional driver.

They've recently added automatic transmissions to some of the fleet for the new wave of drivers who don't know how to drive a standard transmission.

New years of service bonus. You receive $1000 dollars a year for each year of service up to $10,000. This is dispersed among your weekly paychecks. You are also offered a 10% daily bonus on your daily pay for accuracy and damage control.

Cons

Training is laborious for already experienced drivers, although in today's competitive market, they are getting you on the road quicker.

Vacation is sub-standard. One week after one year of service, I believe 2 weeks after 3 years, and you pick up another week after 8 years.

You must apply in person and take a pallet test which is a labor intensive test used to weed out lazy people. Every warehouse person and driver has passed it.

Continue to update many of your antiquated policies. You are on the right track.

All the benefits of a firmly-established company, with the mindset of a start-up

Current Employee - Computer Programmer  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Computer Programmer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company has embraced technology at all levels and makes a very concentrated effort to seek out the latest technologies and practices. There is a very real culture of professionalism and constant learning, and the company invests heavily in helping developers evolve and hone their craft (internal/external training, r&d projects, books, etc). Hard work is definitely noticed, recognized and rewarded. Great work-life balance, I've never had to worry about having to leave early or making an appointment, and management is really understanding when it comes to tending to family matters.

Cons

Paid holidays and vacation days are on the low side of the IT industry standard, but on-par with food distribution industry. The IT department is relatively small so there is no clear path to a traditional management position, which may or may not be an issue since, again, you are definitely compensated for the work you put in.

I feel sometimes that developers don't get enough face time with senior management. Most communication with senior management happens via project leads or business leads, which I understand is for reasons of efficiency. However, I think there needs to be a better process for empowering up-and-coming developers to play a more active leadership role.

Stable Company with Great People

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Coworkers - I work with fantastic people! Some of my colleagues are also now some of my closest friends.

Pay - I don't know what anyone else gets paid (nor is it any of my business), but I get paid very well, especially compared to the average San Antonio income.

Benefits - Insurance coverage is better than most.

Size - Small enough that you know most people in the company, and they know you. You feel like someone, not just a number, especially when the General Manager or President passes you in the hall and greets you by name.

Security/Stability - This company isn't going anywhere. So there is a strong sense of job security.

Constant Challenge - You might think that Food Service sounds pretty simple or maybe even dull. You'd be wrong! Food Service has a sprinkling of so many different business and technical aspects (e.g., sales, purchasing, marketing, IT, operations, etc.), and making sure that all those moving parts are coordinated effectively and working efficiently is quite a challenge. You’re challenged to the extent you prove that you can be. In other words, if your work and attitude indicate you've reached your potential, then don’t expect to be given more responsibilities and new challenges.

Quality work is rewarded.

When applying for college and trying to understand the true difference between a very selective school and a more “accessible” school, I was reminded that a school is what the students make it. If you get a bunch of high-achieving scholars together in a classroom, you’re experience during a year of Philosophy will be quite different than if you were in a room full of average students. The same is true for a company. A company is what its leaders and employees make it. Labatt strives to hire top candidates in every area of the business. And for the most part, it succeeds.

Cons

There is not as much vacation time as is offered at other companies. It's rarely an issue for me, though, as my husband is in a similar situation. And frankly sometimes time away is stressful. Labatt isn't full of entire departments of people doing the exact same job. So if you're out, your work piles up (there's that job security again).

Hard work does not always equal reward. This is a follow up to one of the Pros. Someone can put in lots of hours and work very hard, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are doing a good job. So simply "putting in the time" doesn't mean you'll be promoted or given a raise. You have to work smart. "Work smarter, not harder."

Brutal Honesty – If you need improvement somewhere, you’ll be told so usually without any sugar-coating. It can be a difficult pill to swallow for anyone who is sensitive or is not very self-aware. It’s kind of a tough love situation. Some people thrive from it, some people don’t. I've always done well under leadership like that, though. It gives me the motivation to prove them wrong. Besides if a manager or executive is taking time out of his/her day to go over areas you can improve, you can usually take it as a compliment. It means they think you are capable of more.

It’s not necessarily specific to Labatt as it’s true of any company, but your experience can be largely influenced by your manager or direct report. I am lucky enough to have a manager who is confident enough in my abilities to let me work pretty independently, who recognizes when I need more of a challenge, who doesn't micro-manage, and who is fair and consistent. But there are others who range from micro-managing their employees to practically not managing them at all. It can make for a frustrating work life for those managers' employees as well as employees who witness that style (e.g., seeing one employee get away with having an awful attitude because the manager doesn't manage them while another employee may get a dirty look for leaving a little early). In my opinion, though, you are in charge of your own fate and life at the company. If you have great work ethic and do outstanding work, then it doesn't matter who your manager is. You will be noticed.

You have done a great job leading the company to where it is. But as times and culture continue to change, consider what/who should be in place to ensure the company continues to thrive.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Labatt is a company that I have enjoyed working more at than any other company

Current Employee - Senior Buyer  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Buyer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

1. Family atomosphere and aknowlegement for those who do a good job.
    2. Great pay and benefits.
    3. Something you do hear a lot and it is very true even in negative reviews, great Co-workers who are bright, intelligent and fun to work with.
    4. Very upstart work environment, when you have your position, you are the one who decides how best to accomplish your work. Very little micromanagement in the Labatt structure. That is great for a person who is very self motivated.
    5. Great Mentorship program that will team you will people who will be vested in your success.

I have been at Labatt for over 20 years, It was my 4th job out of college and I was 29 when I started coming from a very similar industry. I have seen the company grow 10 fold since I have been here from 133 million to over 1 billion. I work with so many wonderful co-workers both men and women who started around the same time I did and very many talented young people who have been here anywhere from 1 to 5 years plus. Labatt is no more political than any other companies that I worked for in the past. I would say they are less in a fair comparison to other companies I have worked at to include HEB and Cargill. Certainly the amount of Women in our senior management is very strong proof of that. I challenge you to find a more diversified work force in our industry than Labatt.

I personally have had a very positive experience working for Labatt. I have been part of a great company who has had stellar growth in a very competitive industry, where people care about one of the most important resources around, other people. .

Cons

1. Company is not filled with management structure. If you need a lot of guidance and supervision, may not be your kind of place to work. .
    2. Paid time off is very similar to Retail Grocery, so if you requre a lot of PTO, this may not be an industry of your liking.

Expand mentorship program to all departments in the company,

Dont you believe it!!!!!!!!

Former Employee - Former Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time for more than a year

Pros

Monday thru friday paid every week.

Cons

. A major pay raise would have helped me stay here. Instead of making their building bigger spending millions, you would think they would have invested in their employees. Considering these things, This is still a great place to work.

Please stop adding all these positive reviews that are simply untrue. Just take care of the most important things. .... The one's who are making your business successful. If you take care of them they will most definitely take care of you.

...you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Medical benefits: coverage is good and rates are reasonable for individual as well as family coverage.

Co-workers: As most people have pointed out, you will have some great co-workers. Don't expect most of them to be there a few years from now as they will have moved on to other companies.

Cons

Time off: The company has 5 paid holidays per year, and 0 days of vacation the first year. You get 5 days your second year, 10 days after five years, and you'll max out at 15 days if you stick around for long enough.
    Don't believe that this is the industry standard. Of you look at our competitors, you can see on their website that they have double the amount of holidays and start with 2 weeks of vacation. While it may have been industry standard 20 years ago, other companies have kept up with the times to be competitive.

Conservative culture: If you are super conservative, this may be the right company for you. If you like to wear whit button down shirts with ties every day, you might like it here. If you want to be told lunch is from 12-1 rather than being able to decide when to go to lunch, this is your place. I'm not sure what startup company the other reviewer worked at, but this company does not have that type of culture.

Minimal advancement opportunities: Good or bad, this company doesn't have layers of management. While that may help streamline some things, it gives most departments the inability to promote employees. You might have different levels or become 'Senior', but you'll be doing pretty much the same job 5 years from now as you are doing today. If you want a clearly defined career path, you won't find it here.

Please don't ask current employees to write reviews. They know that you know who is writing them, therefore they cannot necessarily write exactly what they think out of fear of being fired.

Instead, maybe it's time to really consider what the negative reviewers have said. Not all of us left on bad terms or hate the company. We have chosen to leave to be able to have more opportunities elsewhere.

In reality, giving us more holidays and vacation will not only make the company more competitive and attractive to the people you want to hire, it will go a long way with making employees happy.

Grocery Getter

Former Employee - Delivery Driver  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Dallas, TX

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Monday thru Friday
    Pay every week

Cons

Very hard work you must be in good physical shape.

Need to take time to consider drivers needs and concerns as well

Adverse to change and oppressively conservative culture.

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is decent but this can never makeup for the drawbacks of the company and its most senior management.

Cons

Very little room for advancement, slow paced work environment, little to no diversity or measures to support inclusiveness, resistant to change and proud of it.

Be willing to change and explore new ways of doing things. Show appreciation to your employees and reexamine the hiring process and benefits package. Vacation would be nice?

great pay for hard work

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time

Pros

Great pay and compensation for work

Cons

hours vary daily and with seasons

Corporate Review - Political, no career growth

Current Employee - Corporate Trainer  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Corporate Trainer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time for more than a year

Pros

Slow paced, ability to work as much or little as desired. Mostly younger, fresh out of college workforce.

Cons

Political environment, company more interested in personal relationships than quality of work.
    Very little direction, extremely slow pace.

Focus on the quality of work, not the immature need to be liked. Take ownership and do not fear making final decisions. Provide direction and follow up with your teams. Show appreciation for true star players and cut the stagnant unproductive associates.

Worked for Labatt Food Service? Contribute to the Community!