Labatt Food Service Reviews

3.3
Blair Labatt

1. Conservative Family Value Company

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fairly transparent and ethical as far as sales jobs go. Intelligent colleagues, pretty women, dress code is basically a uniform.

Cons

Nepotism among executives. Young family members not ready for roles they are given. Technology can be out dated. You will get fired if they believe you are looking for a new job or looking to advance.

Advice to Management

Start family members at the bottom and have them work their way up. Support outside education and career growth.

2. Sales Rep

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance (work from home or on customers hours). Great VP of Sales.

Cons

Some work needed on the weekends. Small family company culture.

3. A great place to start!

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great place to start your career, especially if you are a recent college graduate. There are several experienced individuals who have years under their belt with Labatt. That is the upside for a new grad, you will have professional advice at your fingertips. A conservative company, with a strict daily routine. This is an 8-5 job, no more, no less. there is an old school policy and traditional way of doing things at Labatt, and it has proven to be successful.

Cons

Vacation policy is lacking and out dated, reviews and raises are minimal and management is somewhat biased.

Advice to Management

Consider revising new hire benefits to stay competitive with other companies in the same industry.

Leave after 2 years

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

•Good pay •Good experience •Smart coworkers •EXCELLENT networking opportunities •Company keeps growing •Very innovative! Develops it's own software

Cons

•Cult-like atmosphere – a blind devotion and love for the company is expected at the expense of anything not directly related to Labatt. •Executives trash-talk former employees in front of current whenever they leave. •Benefits besides pay are substandard (vacation and holidays are a joke) •Labatt would rather ask employees to flood the internet would positive reviews than try to fix their problems. Review their rating trends and check out some of the earlier reviews. They started out terrible before an influx of positive reviews rolled in. •A top executive has stated that “Democracy is governance by the poor,” claimed that an upper class is needed to step and guide the lower class, and has cited a famous communist manifesto as a major influence on the company’s philosophy. Employees are treated like children and executives want to control what they do outside of work. I have been personally pulled into an executive’s office and chewed out simply for eating lunch with a former employee. •If the company gets the feeling you might be looking for a job with another company, they will fire you without bothering to check for actual facts. They have lost lawsuits over this. •Employees who stay too long have a hard time finding jobs elsewhere. There is largely because much of Labatt’s software is outdated or proprietary (the company developed and owns it), meaning if you learn how to use it you are learning how to use software not used by other companies. •Has a bad reputation around San Antonio. Many non-Labatt professionals view Labatt management as a joke. Ask around.

Advice to Management

Answering this is pointless. Management doesn’t listen.

I am very happy with my career at Labatt.

Current Employee - Corporate Trainer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Great health insurance - Company promotes learning and is constantly seeking improvement - Large company with a small company feel - Friendly and supportive co-workers who believe in teamwork and not just individual success - Good work/life balance - Professional and respectful management with an open door policy. - Management does not micromanage - great for self-motivated employees who are constantly seeking to discover new skills. - Employees are given a variety of challenging and diverse projects immediately upon being hired. - The Training department does a little bit of everything, so you are given the opportunity to learn a lot about the different areas of the company and industry. - Fast pasted environment - Innovative and creative, allowing you to develop your ideas - The company truly cares about its customers and the communities in which they do business. - Opportunity to make an impact on a large number of people

Cons

Any cons that I might be able to think of would not outweigh the many good aspects the company offers. Overall, I have been quite happy with my career at Labatt. I truly value both the personal and professional growth they have provided me as well as the endless experiences.

You can find a better job

Former Employee - Loader in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Loader in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is okay Friday and Saturday nights off Filling this in for the twenty word minimum

Cons

You have to work very hard to make money If you get hurt good luck getting management to care Management doesn't care about employees only that they look good to their higher ups

Advice to Management

Quit

All the benefits of a firmly-established company, with the mindset of a start-up

Current Employee - Computer Programmer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Computer Programmer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company has embraced technology at all levels and makes a very concentrated effort to seek out the latest technologies and practices. There is a very real culture of professionalism and constant learning, and the company invests heavily in helping developers evolve and hone their craft (internal/external training, r&d projects, books, etc). Hard work is definitely noticed, recognized and rewarded. Great work-life balance, I've never had to worry about having to leave early or making an appointment, and management is really understanding when it comes to tending to family matters.

Cons

Paid holidays and vacation days are on the low side of the IT industry standard, but on-par with food distribution industry. The IT department is relatively small so there is no clear path to a traditional management position, which may or may not be an issue since, again, you are definitely compensated for the work you put in.

Advice to Management

I feel sometimes that developers don't get enough face time with senior management. Most communication with senior management happens via project leads or business leads, which I understand is for reasons of efficiency. However, I think there needs to be a better process for empowering up-and-coming developers to play a more active leadership role.

Labatt is a company that I have enjoyed working more at than any other company

Current Employee - Senior Buyer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Buyer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. Family atomosphere and aknowlegement for those who do a good job. 2. Great pay and benefits. 3. Something you do hear a lot and it is very true even in negative reviews, great Co-workers who are bright, intelligent and fun to work with. 4. Very upstart work environment, when you have your position, you are the one who decides how best to accomplish your work. Very little micromanagement in the Labatt structure. That is great for a person who is very self motivated. 5. Great Mentorship program that will team you will people who will be vested in your success. I have been at Labatt for over 20 years, It was my 4th job out of college and I was 29 when I started coming from a very similar industry. I have seen the company grow 10 fold since I have been here from 133 million to over 1 billion. I work with so many wonderful co-workers both men and women who started around the same time I did and very many talented young people who have been here anywhere from 1 to 5 years plus. Labatt is no more political than any other companies that I worked for in the past. I would say they are less in a fair comparison to other companies I have worked at to include HEB and Cargill. Certainly the amount of Women in our senior management is very strong proof of that. I challenge you to find a more diversified work force in our industry than Labatt. I personally have had a very positive experience working for Labatt. I have been part of a great company who has had stellar growth in a very competitive industry, where people care about one of the most important resources around, other people. .

Cons

1. Company is not filled with management structure. If you need a lot of guidance and supervision, may not be your kind of place to work. . 2. Paid time off is very similar to Retail Grocery, so if you requre a lot of PTO, this may not be an industry of your liking.

Advice to Management

Expand mentorship program to all departments in the company,

Corporate Review - Political, no career growth

Current Employee - Corporate Trainer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Slow paced, ability to work as much or little as desired. Mostly younger, fresh out of college workforce.

Cons

Political environment, company more interested in personal relationships than quality of work. Very little direction, extremely slow pace.

Advice to Management

Focus on the quality of work, not the immature need to be liked. Take ownership and do not fear making final decisions. Provide direction and follow up with your teams. Show appreciation for true star players and cut the stagnant unproductive associates.

Just keep going...pass this up!

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time

Pros

None.....nope, not one. O' there is one, if you are pregnant, you get 3 weeks paid time off. . . .makes me want to have babies and work there. I would be pregnant all the time!

Cons

Limit the friends that you make around the office, knowing others in the company is going to be a problem, and you may get called out on it. Although there are several great people who come from different backgrounds. I met some very awesome people there. Discussing problems with people in other departments was a no-no. Instead of trying to help out and fix problems management will just ignore advice and pretend it was not happening, Yes, this is a lifestyle change, especially when you have management telling you what you can and cannot do on your personal time off. That is going over-board! What I do with my time after an 8 hour shift is completely up to me.

Advice to Management

none.. they don't care, and if you go to HR about a problem, I'm sure they will tell you the same thing they told me.....THAT PERSON HAS BEEN HERE LONGER THAN YOU, YOU WILL LEAVE WELL BEFORE THEY WILL!....... This is very comforting....hahhaha!!! Management needs to stay there.

RSS Feed </> Embed