Labatt Food Service Reviews in San Antonio, TX

Updated June 16, 2014

3.3

Blair Labatt

29 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

All the benefits of a firmly-established company, with the mindset of a start-up

Current Employee - Computer Programmer  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Computer Programmer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company has embraced technology at all levels and makes a very concentrated effort to seek out the latest technologies and practices. There is a very real culture of professionalism and constant learning, and the company invests heavily in helping developers evolve and hone their craft (internal/external training, r&d projects, books, etc). Hard work is definitely noticed, recognized and rewarded. Great work-life balance, I've never had to worry about having to leave early or making an appointment, and management is really understanding when it comes to tending to family matters.

Cons

Paid holidays and vacation days are on the low side of the IT industry standard, but on-par with food distribution industry. The IT department is relatively small so there is no clear path to a traditional management position, which may or may not be an issue since, again, you are definitely compensated for the work you put in.

I feel sometimes that developers don't get enough face time with senior management. Most communication with senior management happens via project leads or business leads, which I understand is for reasons of efficiency. However, I think there needs to be a better process for empowering up-and-coming developers to play a more active leadership role.

Labatt is a company that I have enjoyed working more at than any other company

Current Employee - Senior Buyer  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Buyer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

1. Family atomosphere and aknowlegement for those who do a good job.
    2. Great pay and benefits.
    3. Something you do hear a lot and it is very true even in negative reviews, great Co-workers who are bright, intelligent and fun to work with.
    4. Very upstart work environment, when you have your position, you are the one who decides how best to accomplish your work. Very little micromanagement in the Labatt structure. That is great for a person who is very self motivated.
    5. Great Mentorship program that will team you will people who will be vested in your success.

I have been at Labatt for over 20 years, It was my 4th job out of college and I was 29 when I started coming from a very similar industry. I have seen the company grow 10 fold since I have been here from 133 million to over 1 billion. I work with so many wonderful co-workers both men and women who started around the same time I did and very many talented young people who have been here anywhere from 1 to 5 years plus. Labatt is no more political than any other companies that I worked for in the past. I would say they are less in a fair comparison to other companies I have worked at to include HEB and Cargill. Certainly the amount of Women in our senior management is very strong proof of that. I challenge you to find a more diversified work force in our industry than Labatt.

I personally have had a very positive experience working for Labatt. I have been part of a great company who has had stellar growth in a very competitive industry, where people care about one of the most important resources around, other people. .

Cons

1. Company is not filled with management structure. If you need a lot of guidance and supervision, may not be your kind of place to work. .
    2. Paid time off is very similar to Retail Grocery, so if you requre a lot of PTO, this may not be an industry of your liking.

Expand mentorship program to all departments in the company,

Corporate Review - Political, no career growth

Current Employee - Corporate Trainer  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Corporate Trainer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time for more than a year

Pros

Slow paced, ability to work as much or little as desired. Mostly younger, fresh out of college workforce.

Cons

Political environment, company more interested in personal relationships than quality of work.
    Very little direction, extremely slow pace.

Focus on the quality of work, not the immature need to be liked. Take ownership and do not fear making final decisions. Provide direction and follow up with your teams. Show appreciation for true star players and cut the stagnant unproductive associates.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just keep going...pass this up!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Labatt Food Service full-time

Pros

None.....nope, not one. O' there is one, if you are pregnant, you get 3 weeks paid time off. . . .makes me want to have babies and work there. I would be pregnant all the time!

Cons

Limit the friends that you make around the office, knowing others in the company is going to be a problem, and you may get called out on it. Although there are several great people who come from different backgrounds. I met some very awesome people there. Discussing problems with people in other departments was a no-no. Instead of trying to help out and fix problems management will just ignore advice and pretend it was not happening, Yes, this is a lifestyle change, especially when you have management telling you what you can and cannot do on your personal time off. That is going over-board! What I do with my time after an 8 hour shift is completely up to me.

none.. they don't care, and if you go to HR about a problem, I'm sure they will tell you the same thing they told me.....THAT PERSON HAS BEEN HERE LONGER THAN YOU, YOU WILL LEAVE WELL BEFORE THEY WILL!....... This is very comforting....hahhaha!!! Management needs to stay there.

Hopelessly uncaring and outdated culture

Current Employee - Middle Management  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Middle Management in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service part-time for more than a year

Pros

You can get a job right out of college, but it might negatively taint your view of the "real" working world for the rest of your career. They hire college grads because they assume they are young, green, gullible, eager to work for free, and do whatever they want them to do. While hiring mostly new graduates, they have to discriminate against people with experience.

Cons

This company's management structure is hopelessly outdated and unconcerned with their employees welfare. You have to bow-down to your superiors in blind faith because they want to control every aspect of your life. If you don't adhere to the culture, you will be destroyed or tortured until you leave in disgrace. You will be a shining example to others who remain... conform or be destroyed. This megalomaniac mentality starts at the very top of the company and flows down through every office and position.

From the day you begin interviewing with this company, it is painfully clear they do not know what they are doing. If you have any previous work experience prior to interviewing with them, they will probe you about the companies you've worked for, but not so much you. They want to know how other companies are managed and operated because Labatt does not know how to run their company. Their interview process can take up to two weeks and is chocked full of invasive, irrelevant, and rude interrogatories. You will also have to answer a long series of psychological profiling questions which appear to be a junior high student's attempt at "head" games.

Leave while you can because you can't reason with the owner(s). They will never change!

Memoirs of a Labatt Programmer

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I believe everyone's entitled to their opinion, so here's mine. And please don't be alarmed or angered, but it's a positive review.

I've been with Labatt for almost six years now as a software developer. I've seen many changes and growth in this department over the years that have left me very optimistic about the future of this company. In this time we've matured greatly not just in our software development process, but also in our structure. I think we have a great mentor/mentee process for new hires. And in fact, I just recently had the pleasure of working with a new hire on developing a completely new system from the ground up, and I feel it was a very rewarding experience for both of us. Management greatly encourages employees to be creative, to push the boundaries, to seek out and make use of the latest and greatest technology. And obviously will put their money where their mouth is and pay for books, training, hardware/software, etc. And I've never had any issue whatsoever, from day one, with going into my manager's office and talking openly about anything that was on my mind. And you know what, I've always felt that they sincerely care about me and want to help me.

We're still learning, we're still growing, we're not the IT department we know we can be yet. But if you want to be in a place where you're not just producing cogs, where you can see a system through from start to finish that will have a direct impact on the bottom line, where people will listen to your ideas, where hard work and dedication are truly rewarded (and quite handsomely I might add), then give Labatt a try.

This has been my experience, and I'm happy to share it. If Labatt didn't work out for some people, I would just say "to each his own". But there are a lot of smart people here who are working hard to put Labatt on the IT map.

Cons

I think a lot of the negative reviews are coming from people who have had a negative experience in the analyst role. And I will agree that there has to be some more effort put into creating a little more structure and development for that position. In fairness though, we do have some seasoned analysts who seem quite happy.

Golly you guys are doing a swell job! <--- have at it comment section trolls! :)

Just over one year of employment with Labatt I am very satisfied and am looking forward to many more years.

Current Employee - Analyst  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Labatt Food Service full-time for more than a year

Pros

I really like the diverse opportunities and challenges given to me right from the start as an analyst. Coming in you have an immediate opportunity to work on significant projects that impact the company's bottom line as well as interact with top management. I have worked at other places and the level of impact a new employee can make is very unique here.

In addition, team members not only work together in small groups, but share a lot of after activities.

Cons

You need to be a self starter from the very beginning. You will get guidance and help, but don't expect any hand holding. It is a diverse place and there is a lot to learn very early.

Perhaps, empathize more with the new hire employees straight out of college. For some this is their first place of employment. and this can be a difficult adjustment.

Worked for Labatt Food Service? Contribute to the Community!