www.laborready.com

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014
2.7

Steve Cooper

Pros
  • I was able to help temporary employees find work and sometimes full time positions (in 5 reviews)

• For many workers, assignments give workers an opportunity to try different kinds of work and as a means to obtaining full time employment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Expects people to rearrange their schedules for a two hour assignment 40 minutes away that only pays minimum wage (in 10 reviews)

• Need to sharpen it to the company/goal and conduct real world training to the branch Managers (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Branch Manager

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Labor Ready full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had an opportunity to assist some talented, yet misdirected, temporary employees use their talents to find full time work. Personally learned the type of manager I want to be.

Cons

Endless hours, constant changes in management, receiving calls from temps at crazy hours because the call center thought it was appropriate to give out my cell phone number

Corporate needs to find a sales strategy and stick with it, at least for 6 months to a year so they can really evaluate if it is a failure or success before changing the strategy again.

Acknowledge that there is a difference in selling labor city to city. The way you sell in New England is completely different than the Midwest.

Beware

Former Employee - Mechanic Shop Driver in Manville, NJ
    Former Employee - Mechanic Shop Driver in Manville, NJ

I worked at Labor Ready full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will get paid daily, But at or slightly above minimum wage.

Cons

Pay rate does not match work involved. And jobs have very slim chance of becoming permanent. Steady temporary work force is there objective.

Good opportunity to add to your resume

I have been working at Labor Ready full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to give people opportunities to get permanent jobs and change their lives.

Cons

Passionate is one of their core values however, caring too much is sometimes is not a good thing.

Give better more clear direction, follow the core values

I have been working at Labor Ready as a contractor

Pros

opportunity for those who are not employed to make extra income

Cons

its not a full time position or stable

keep doing what youre doing

Lots of hard work

Current Employee - Laborer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Laborer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Labor Ready as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You get paid the same day you work and sometimes you don't like on the weekends.

Cons

Management isn't always honest and they keep you in the dark.

keep your word

drugs r us

I have been working at Labor Ready

Pros

possibility of getting hired by customer

Cons

having to work with people who are stoned or drunk before during and after work
    they only care about money- we brake our backs and they are charging 20+/- an hour for us, we get 9
    office is completely inept.

there are some skilled/good laborers there find them and pay them more.

Putting people to grueling work at minimum wage

Former Employee - Temporary Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Temporary Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Labor Ready full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They do provide daily pay to people desperate enough to work for low wages. There is a degree of flexibility which allows for people with other responsibilities to pick and choose when they can work. Some of the work is in retail, stocking shelves for companies like Walmart. For many workers, assignments give workers an opportunity to try different kinds of work and as a means to obtaining full time employment.

Cons

Labor Ready's own records show that 10,000 workers (nearly 1.6% of its claimed 600,000 employees) are injured on the job every year. The AFL-CIO in a 2002 reported that Labor Ready works are injured at three times the U.S. average national rate. Various labor unions have accused Labor Ready of deceptive practices and of mistreating their employees.

Labor Ready has come under fire for misclassifying workers (for example, as clerical rather than construction) which has resulted in the company paying less money (and in some states nothing at all) into state workers compensation funds than would otherwise be required. It has been alleged that this conduct is systematic and intentional. I myself have seen workers on construction sites operating equipment (lifts, bobcats) while they are classified as construction clean up. Skilled workers are supposed to be compensated at prevailing wage , while the construction clean up workers only receive minimum ( or near minimum) wage. I have also seen this happen on retail remodeling work sites
    I have witnessed age and race discrimination when choosing from amongst similarly situated workers. (Labor Ready claims that they make assignment on a 'best fit.' basis) although this many times leaves older or less well dressed workers with no work: no pay.

Consider making policy changes which discipline managers who operate unfairly or mistreat workers. I suggest that the high employee injury rate occurs when employees invariably are assigned to do jobs that they are untrained and unsuited for.

Day work day pay

I worked at Labor Ready

Pros

dont have to work everyday

Cons

Hard work for little to no pay :(

It was great.

Current Employee - First Cook in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - First Cook in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Labor Ready as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

You get to cook at various food establishments throughout the city.

Cons

Not enough work to pay the bills.

Treat your workers fairly.

For those who have no where else to go

Current Employee - Temporary Labourer in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Temporary Labourer in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Labor Ready part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You have a reason to travel around your region to work. You will meet many persons from different walks of life. The pay is good. There are plenty of opportunities for those who need to get started with some verifiable work.

Cons

Your physical strength will be tested, if you do not have any specialty skills (office, machine operation, etc). As an employee for this temp agency I have learned the meaning of hard intensive labor. The company will play favoritism for those who have been there the longest. Meaning your first week could be on an off work week. Also much like most other temp agencies, you will be spending at least two hours of your morning sitting in a waiting room awaiting work.

Providing some verbal motivation for employees to advance their careers.

Labor Ready Photos

Working for Labor Ready means that you have many different kinds of jobs available.
We work with customers in a variety of industries.
One of our branch managers on a job site.

+ Add Photo