Lacoste Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
2.6

Lacoste Directeur Général José-Luis Durán
José-Luis Durán

Pros
  • Employees get free clothing allowance twice per years (in 12 reviews)

• Lacoste has a great discount and takes care of their employees (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management right now is very unsteady with lots of change over (in 12 reviews)

• Prior to that, there was no room for career growth, and raises were 3% or under (if you're lucky) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great retail experience.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Lacoste part-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay at Lacoste is very competitive for retail. There is also a great atmosphere that is welcoming and conducive to a healthy work environment. The store and retail managers pay attention to each store and specific need to provide a high quality shopping environment for clients.

Cons

If you do not like working in retail, the retail components of Lacoste will seem like a downside.

Past Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Lacoste full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Chances for opportunity
    Company is very high spirited and positive

Cons

Disorganization
    Always changing promos with no consideration
    Upper management doesn't listen to complaints
    Never get the product needed for business

It was good while it lasted...

Current Employee - Rather Not Say  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Lacoste part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Product, great staff, HR actually listens to complaints. It is also a great brand to start with if you want to begin a career in "Luxury Retail". Great discount as well.

Cons

Upper Management sucks. (Well I know my regional manager does). She micromanages wayyy too much. She has also drove 3 store managers away from my store. She even made the first one cry through email. She is definitely a cyber bully, but will come to your store and smile in your face. Those who have been with the company for a while gossip with her and plot on how to get rid of the people that they do not care for. (I have seen it with my own eyes.) My regional manager is also a racist. She said some out of line comments to me about the customers that really made me uncomfortable. She sets a bad atmosphere for the store. She upsets the store managers, and it trickles down. The first two store managers I worked with did a good job of hiding it. This was when I was the happiest. As soon as she began visiting the store more often, and communicating with people in the store directly, the fun and friendly work environment was no more. There is literally no one who enjoys their job anymore. I did consider myself a very loyal employee, but ever since I have seen some things that I do not like, I am ready to leave. I am hoping to find another position in the very near future.

Really take time to evaluate the goals and objectives of your top managers (store managers, regional managers.) Some of the accusations that keep coming up are true. We would not be making this up otherwise!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No work/life balance, nothing is streamlined, training for management is hit or miss.

I have been working at Lacoste part-time for less than a year

Pros

The discount is good, if you like the product. Also the store teams are relatively small, which makes it easier to foster good relationships with fellow associates and members of management.

Cons

No additional payroll hours are given to support any operation/back of house tasks. If you are on salary, expect to work well over 40 hours a week just to complete everything that needs to be done or be scolded when things aren't completed.

Time off - seems like EVERY other weekend is black out, which means you may not request time off. Fathers Day weekend, 4th of July, a random week in September, yep! Expect to be working. I realize this is not uncommon in retail, but it is excessive here at Lacoste. Also, the schedule is only made a week in advance for the store. The store manager gets first "dibs" on time off and will not allow other management to be off on the same time period. There have been instances where people's vacations have been booked and flights paid for, but you are still on the schedule for that time period.

Training is inconsistent. Some managers may be fully trained, some may not. There is a very thorough training list/packet that corporate has put together that must be signed and sent back in when completed, but it's really at the store managers discretion to whether it gets done or not.

Hours are supposed to be given to associates on the basis of whoever is most productive on the selling floor. Not the case in my particular store. Schedule is done entirely on availability with no concern to who is needed the most at a particular time.

Streamline all of your systems and check in with team members periodically to ensure that you have a positive culture/work environment.

Excellent workplace

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Lacoste part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great workplace, friendly environment, good pay, and easy work

Cons

not very flexible with hours

Good Company, Just not for me

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Lacoste part-time for less than a year

Pros

70% off discount once you work for a month, but you have a limit of how much you can purchase within a couple of months. Free polo's once you are hired. But it is considered Company property within the 3 months, after that it's yours!

Cons

Had to meet sales goal in order to get hours. Since the company isn't as popular as it use to be, we don't have much clients coming in and out, which meant NO HOURS! Always last minute schedule changes from management, cutting back hours. However, Management has their favorite associates and they will get the hours before anyone else.

TRULY care about your staff and not just the brand. All of the good workers left because Management was unorganized

Great

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Lacoste part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get a 40 percent discount

Cons

I had to do everything. Fold clothes, ring the customer up, go back in the stock, and clean the store.

Paid well to be spread thin and worked hard!

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Lacoste full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Product, and company image, product often sells itself, easy to style and wear. Company will pay will, but work you hard.

Cons

Company has no structure, does not know how to promote, stand behind and back product. Sales change day to day, markdowns one weekend, % off the next... inconstancy makes for more work for employees, and confusion for customers. Little coverage, and no payroll hours for important tasks like stocking, or selling, or floor coverage, or office and management work... Training is awful, due to store to store inconstancies, and little training time!

More payroll hours! more coverage! You will be hounded on KPIs and conversion, with only two associates for a Sunday. How can we sell a product, much less prevent theft, and shrink if there is no hours and such high stress!

Fatntastic team environment!

I have been working at Lacoste full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

World wide brand recognition with amazing heritage. True team atmosphere where success is celebrated. Great benefits, discount and wardrobe. Ability to grow is abundunt especially if you can relocate. Work/life balance.

Cons

It is important to be self driven and to own your business; if this not who you are it will be a challenge.

Stay focused on Brand Platform and Core Values; it's great for the team.

Leaving Was The Best Thing I Ever Did

Former Employee - District Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - District Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Lacoste full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The brand. The clothing allowance. The time off policies (although, as of this summer, summer fridays have been all but nixed). Work/life balance.

Cons

Leadership. Office culture. Misguided focus. The unfortunate thing about working for Lacoste is that the intention to do good work is there, but any motivation to do so is lost in the constant brow-beating and blaming by corporate management. The skill set of some of the corporate leaders is iffy - they've gone long without a VP of Retail, and the second tier leadership on the retail side loves to hate and hates to love each other. The environment is just short of "Mean Girls", don't trust those who you think you're aligned with, because they're talking poorly about you and everyone else that isn't in the room. The relentless blame game thats fully realized when sales are poor, rather than a focused attempt to right the wrongs. Field management is heavily tasked with creating a culture of trust and leadership because one step up, corporate management is heavily flawed....too inexperienced or too fearful to stand for something. A big red flag is the Director level nepotism to people they directly manage - its a little strange for a Director to have his/her Manager(s) spend holidays with him/her, isn't it? Getting drunk and talking about other departmental leadership while on a team outing - totally inappropriate. Unprofessionalism at a corporate level trickles down - didn't we all learn this in Management 101?

HR is interesting. Some good solid people there, but on the whole, I'm not sure I ever felt my best interests were being considered as an employee. I heard lots of internal talk about "protecting the leaders from complaints", and I can only assume the worst was going on. Annual reviews were laughable at best - poorly written, and no year-to-year reference for growth and achievement - it was as if the authors just pounded out review after review without giving any personal consideration to each employee. Upon reviewing the documents, HR nor management could identify why a rating went from a 4 to a 5 or 4 to a 3 in a particular behavior measure in 12 months - the ratings were arbitrary to get you to a specific measured percentage raise. No thought was put into the reviews - it was just a work-backwards to get you to your predetermined X.X% raise. And this is coming from someone who consistently achieved great reviews! Upon leaving, I was offered title changes and promotions and more money, which didn't feel right given there were people that had been in the same role for years, who would have been stepped over just because I announced I was leaving. Prior to that, there was no room for career growth, and raises were 3% or under (if you're lucky).

Back to basics. Get your corporate management in stores more often (not just during Thanksgiving when NO ONE wants corporate people in stores, wandering around not knowing what to do), listen to the needs of the store teams. The store teams are trained well, but under supported with few hours during the week for 1-1 coaching, mentoring, etc. You have to spend money to make money - put more people in stores during critical times to ensure the right selling culture. You've done a lot of background work to give structure and function to the selling culture, now go support it. And finally drop Better Together - everyone knows its a joke.

Worked for Lacoste? Contribute to the Community!