Lacoste

Lacoste Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Lacoste Directeur Général José-Luis Durán

José-Luis Durán

Pros
  • Employees get free clothing allowance twice per years(in 12 reviews)

• Lacoste has a great discount and takes care of their employees(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management right now is very unsteady with lots of change over(in 12 reviews)

• Prior to that, there was no room for career growth, and raises were 3% or under (if you're lucky)(in 5 reviews)

It was good while it lasted...

Rather Not Say (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat Product, great staff, HR actually listens to complaints. It is also a great brand to start with if you want to begin a career in "Luxury Retail". Great discount as well.

ConsUpper Management sucks. (Well I know my regional manager does). She micromanages wayyy too much. She has also drove 3 store managers away from my store. She even made the first one cry through email. She is definitely a cyber bully, but will come to your store and smile in your face. Those who have been with the company for a while gossip with her and plot on how to get rid of the people that they do not care for. (I have seen it with my own eyes.) My regional manager is also a racist. She said some out of line comments to me about the customers that really made me uncomfortable. She sets a bad atmosphere for the store. She upsets the store managers, and it trickles down. The first two store managers I worked with did a good job of hiding it. This was when I was the happiest. As soon as she began visiting the store more often, and communicating with people in the store directly, the fun and friendly work environment was no more. There is literally no one who enjoys their job anymore. I did consider myself a very loyal employee, but ever since I have seen some things that I do not like, I am ready to leave. I am hoping to find another position in the very near future.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally take time to evaluate the goals and objectives of your top managers (store managers, regional managers.) Some of the accusations that keep coming up are true. We would not be making this up otherwise!

Excellent workplace

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat workplace, friendly environment, good pay, and easy work

Consnot very flexible with hours

Good Company, Just not for me

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Woodbridge, VA

Pros70% off discount once you work for a month, but you have a limit of how much you can purchase within a couple of months. Free polo's once you are hired. But it is considered Company property within the 3 months, after that it's yours!

ConsHad to meet sales goal in order to get hours. Since the company isn't as popular as it use to be, we don't have much clients coming in and out, which meant NO HOURS! Always last minute schedule changes from management, cutting back hours. However, Management has their favorite associates and they will get the hours before anyone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementTRULY care about your staff and not just the brand. All of the good workers left because Management was unorganized

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsYou get a 40 percent discount

ConsI had to do everything. Fold clothes, ring the customer up, go back in the stock, and clean the store.

Fatntastic team environment!

ProsWorld wide brand recognition with amazing heritage. True team atmosphere where success is celebrated. Great benefits, discount and wardrobe. Ability to grow is abundunt especially if you can relocate. Work/life balance.

ConsIt is important to be self driven and to own your business; if this not who you are it will be a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused on Brand Platform and Core Values; it's great for the team.

No work/life balance, nothing is streamlined, training for management is hit or miss.

ProsThe discount is good, if you like the product. Also the store teams are relatively small, which makes it easier to foster good relationships with fellow associates and members of management.

ConsNo additional payroll hours are given to support any operation/back of house tasks. If you are on salary, expect to work well over 40 hours a week just to complete everything that needs to be done or be scolded when things aren't completed.

Time off - seems like EVERY other weekend is black out, which means you may not request time off. Fathers Day weekend, 4th of July, a random week in September, yep! Expect to be working. I realize this is not uncommon in retail, but it is excessive here at Lacoste. Also, the schedule is only made a week in advance for the store. The store manager gets first "dibs" on time off and will not allow other management to be off on the same time period. There have been instances where people's vacations have been booked and flights paid for, but you are still on the schedule for that time period.

Training is inconsistent. Some managers may be fully trained, some may not. There is a very thorough training list/packet that corporate has put together that must be signed and sent back in when completed, but it's really at the store managers discretion to whether it gets done or not.

Hours are supposed to be given to associates on the basis of whoever is most productive on the selling floor. Not the case in my particular store. Schedule is done entirely on availability with no concern to who is needed the most at a particular time.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline all of your systems and check in with team members periodically to ensure that you have a positive culture/work environment.

Lacoste = where your retail career goes goes to die.

Managing Director (Current Employee)

ProsOnly benefit for working for this company is the discount if you like the product.

ConsMany changes need to take place in order for this brand to become desirable for both consumers and employees.

1) Field management needs to be completely removed and replaced. Many field managers were promoted out of desperation due to loss of old CEO/employee turnover. The majority of district/area managers were not properly trained or prepared for their positions. Lack of job knowledge, basic communication skills, direction/follow-up etc are a few skills unknown to most of these individuals. Field managers are not confident in their positions, rule out of fear, don't communicate pertinent information in a timely manner and constantly review cameras to ensure employees are doing what they say they are.

2) Teams in the store have no support from upper management/corporate office. Don't expect to pick up the phone and contact anyone in person like a human being. Expect all directives/responses to be sent via email. Mind you the majority of these emails will not be kind, teams in store have to pick up the slack from the corporate partners who don't do their designated jobs.

3) Merchandisers...what's that? Lacoste definitely doesn't know. Don't ever expect to have the product you need in order to "run your business" appropriately. You'll sit on at least 500 units of merchandise, you don't display on your sales floor because it's "old", doesn't fit the "flow" of your store or simply doesn't fit on your sales floor, until you get 1500+ units of transfers 2 weeks prior to inventory...because that makes sense right? The only merchandising to be done is through an archaic inventory system, that doesn't update until 9 months after a physical inventory, looking at each store in the company to see who has "enough" product for you to request a transfer from your DM/RM for. Poor product placement (i.e. jackets in hot doors, no short sleeve woven's in tourist destinations/hot doors etc) really limits the volume the stores can potentially produce. All shipment is received via UPS, if you are on the West coast expect to receive all new product weeks after the East coast stores get it. There is no consistent schedule to shipping and/or replenishment. Most of it will come on Thursday/Friday prior to a busy weekend, where there is no coverage to process it before/after business hours...which means product sits in boxes, unseen, untold and UNSOLD (unless you are salary and take initiative to get this product processed).

4) Time management/payroll. Across both store types outlet and boutique, the stores are expected to work on minimal hours. $250.00 SPH in a boutique environment doesn't necessarily support the sale standards the Brand Platform outlines. Minimal coverage = loss issues, lack of training, not adequate customer service standards at times. If you are salaried you are not necessarily "required" to work beyond your scheduled 8 hours, but if you need to stay "a little" later to do a floor change, window update, don't be surprised. No tasking is to be done during business hours, so as a store manager you will constantly be changing your schedule to complete your shipment received UPS (on no specific schedule) random visual updates, hair brain promotion ideas. Since all of these tasks must not be completed during business hours, you will begin taking away from your selling hours, limiting your floor coverage and negatively impacting your customer service/brand experience. It's a task in itself just trying to keep your teams motivated when working for a inconsistent, disorganized and dysfunctional company.

5) Outdated, SLOW, systems. To process a return/exchange you will need to waste 12-15 minutes of a client's time (who most likely is not thrilled in having to return to the store to process said return/exchange). It takes far too long to efficiently run reports, analyze business, expedite client transactions, process/receive shipment...these are all hours of my life I will not get back.

6) PAPERWORK, paperwork and more paperwork on the boutique end. Every Monday expect to spend 3 hours doing reports, regurgitating information that is clearly written on reports that all corporate and field managers receive. But of course, your DM can't do his/her job and analyze the business statistically (after all we are in the business where numbers talk) you must say the same things over and over again, and expect absolutely no action to take place in order to address concerns/needs.

7) Lack of loyalty. For a company who is ran by a very small team compared to most global brands, there is no loyalty/family atmosphere. You are simply another person to just get the job done. No one is appreciated, you are expected to pick up the slack from the last or next person. This company will never retain any talented retail professionals, because it is ran by a bunch of people who are from that. They rely on gossip, poorly written reviews and fear to make their world go round.

8) Lack of opportunity. If you're looking to get promoted or grow in any way as a professional, RUN FOR THE HILLS! Simple as that, there is no room for opportunity because there are no new stores, which means no need for new SM's, DM's, RM's etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs that saying goes, "People work for people." You can have amazing product, beautiful stores...but the people who represent this brand are awful, therefore no person of substance will ever stick around.

Was a great place to work a few years ago

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsQuick title promotions, very limited actual growth opportunity.
    Great teams, people make the company
    Clothing Allowance, pretty good health care

ConsTerrible work life balance

Good Company

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsNice relaxed environment to work

ConsNot much growth will happen

Best Retail Company for growth and opportunity

Managing Director (Current Employee)

ProsLacoste is a company that always promotes from within before seeking outside candidates. If you work for and deserve a promotion or opportunity, you will have the opportunity. Positive culture and feedback is listed to, very open minded management in the field, everyone is so passionate about what they do. It's a happy place to be in retail.

ConsEmployees in the field and corporate enjoy working for the brand so open positions available for growth are sometimes limited or slow to come by.

Worked for Lacoste? Contribute to the Community!