Ladbrokes

Updated September 6, 2014
2.5

Ladbrokes CEO Richard Glynn
Richard Glynn

I enjoyed my time there.

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager  in  Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at Ladbrokes full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good if you like sport, horse racing, dogs etc. Flexible with hours - when I was at university and work experience, they were happy to work my hours around dates/times.

Cons

As a customer service manager (CSM) I had to single-man the shop daily between 8.30-10am and 8-9.30pm, which as a young woman I didn't feel safe at times - especially in winter! I certainly didn't get paid enough for the amount of responsibility I had.

Listen to the shop staff. They're the ones that deal with customers daily. Sometimes ideas that supervisors or marketplace managers have are unachievable and unrealistic, although it might look good on paper.

Good to work for

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager  in  Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at Ladbrokes part-time for more than a year

Pros

easy job, nice customers most of the time, flexible hours if you have a good shop team, good training pack

Cons

Lone working of a night is not safe for staff who are mostly women, not good pay

It is an institution, but needs moving with the times

Former Employee - Customer Support  in  Gibraltar (Gibraltar)
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Gibraltar (Gibraltar)

I worked at Ladbrokes full-time for more than a year

Pros

No day is ever the same, lots of variety and interest.
    An ideal company if you are passionate about sports and/or casino, poker and bingo.

Large churn of staff meaning there is room for movement and promotion.

It's a highly recognised company in the public eye.

Cons

Are known for not paying high salaries. As there is a large turnover of staff, then the supervisory levels are filled with inexperienced in product knowledge.

Supervisors lack the very necessary skills in employee management as well as customer management. Thus, there is too little in terms of employee feedback in term of positivity. The supervisors feel that the only method of demonstrating their own superiority is to devalue the frontline staff.

Management are frightened of losing their jobs, they follow a strict and unofficial "cover yourself" policy which regrettably does not include common sense.
    There is little or no management of customers as the supervisors have little product knowledge and are unable to educate and resolve customer issues.

Stop the easy kop out of offering "goodwill gestures" to make issues disappear. This only creates a bad precedent and pushes the issue onto some of your agents at a later date.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

On the rebound

I worked at Ladbrokes

Pros

Lots of great people to work with

Cons

Tough to deal with inferior technology

invest in you staff!

Avoid this company like the plague

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager  in  Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at Ladbrokes full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are none this company is the worst to work for possibly in the entire of the United Kingdom Disgusting

Cons

I was on the verge of suicide and was taken to a disciplinary for being late into work a few times during this period. When I told my line manager how bad I had become was told it wasn't the company's problem and he also suggested I was lying. Also expected to work alone in the evenings and mornings, paid disgustingly low wages for doing it and threatened constantly with disciplinary action for the tiniest of mistakes. Staff go sick because Ladbrokes don't listen to their views, customers who assault staff or smash machines are immune from punishment if they spend enough money and the market place managers know nothing more than I do about the game and are given powers to verbally bully their staff

I don't think there is any advice I can give. Ladbrokes are going to be the first bookmakers to go bust simply because so much damage has been done by a clueless and greedy chief exec and by the appalling treatment of the staff that actually make them the money. However if there was some advice I would say start thinking why staff are leaving and to stop treating us like idiots but as I say I think the damage to this company is irreversible.

Tough times

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Ladbrokes as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great job for sports fans

Cons

Tough times for Ladbrokes as they suffer from new online competition

Short term corporate profit maximization to the detriment of customers and employees - welcome to UKPLC

Former Employee - Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Ladbrokes full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good for those interested in sport, promotion opportunities for those who's face fits. Relatively good training. Excellent for people who don't like spending time with their families ;)

Cons

A nasty industry. Low pay, anti social hours and poor performance regarding other employee conditions such as contract hours, personal growth. Awful social responsibility.

Reward staff with a living wage and meaningful bonuses, decent hours and respect. Stop thinking short term.

Rewarding

Former Employee - Cashier  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Cashier in London, England (UK)

I worked at Ladbrokes full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good team spirit. Nice colleagues.

Cons

Asked to go above and beyond for no reward

Unfair to promise bonuses that are not forthcoming

There is still light at the end of the tunnel but it's fading....

Current Employee - Area Manager
    Current Employee - Area Manager

I have been working at Ladbrokes full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are a lot of good people and good managers within the business. A lot of people still carry the enthusiasm to see Ladbrokes turn into a really good company.

Cons

Too many layers of management, inefficient structure. Lack of trust leading to micromanagement of tasks. Removal of shop managers has lead to a everyone equal no-one accountable culture in shops. Ageist employment policy (no duty managers over 24) has lead to very young immature shop teams with little life experience. I have concerns over the safety of staff single manning in an evening.

De-layer and get the shops closer to the decision makers. Remove ageist recruitment policies. Stop single scheduling in the evenings - if a shop doesn't do enough business to cover the £33.05 for a cashier then close it. Trust your Management to manage, micromanagement is slowing progress down and adding to the cost line. Give MPM's and shops email addresses to improve communication.

Awful!

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager  in  Luton, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Luton, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Ladbrokes full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice customers
    Lower level staff and nice and friendly

Cons

Awful customers

Awful area managers

I was the victim of an armed robbery and received no support, after i had a gun pointed in my face my area manager expected me to return to work the next day! even though i left the police station at 2am!

They expect you to work 14 hour shifts alone with no lunch break

They will harass you on days off with constant calling to see if you can cover people who have gone sick

Staff go sick all the time because they are fed up with being treated awfully.

They would not allow me to come back after i had time off to recover from an armed robbery, the reason for this is older staff members know their rights and will complain, new staff will be paid less and less likely to kick up a fuss

The rota is always changing last minute so impossible to plan things outside of work

While i was pregnant i was very sick and treated awfully, infact, one manager said to me "you are taking advantage of your pregnancy, we do not have to pay u if u are pregnant and sick" - this is wrong and made me feel awful

while pregnant i was forced to move shops because my male manager found it "uncomfortable"

No point, all they care about is hitting targets, they dont care about responsible gambling, i once reported a customer who had a gambling problem and i was told to turn a blind eye because he spent lots of money!

Worked for Ladbrokes? Contribute to the Community!