Ladbrokes

Ladbrokes CEO Richard Glynn
Richard Glynn

Good Company To Work For

I have been working at Ladbrokes

Pros

Fun work environment, work-life balance

Cons

None I can think about

Ban single manning!!

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Ladbrokes full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lovely work colleagues and some lovely customers a good day was a good day but the bad were truly depressing!.

Cons

Single manning affects how well customer service is delivered its a horrible feeling when someone who normally would have got there bet on misses out when you are busy on your own and couldn't get there bets on and they end up winning!.
    Dreadful shift patterns mine were fine but others looked horrific but nobody dares to complain.
    Was once a wonderful company to work for say 5-6 years ago.

It all falls down to the CEO a truly terrible decision to make him who he is you cannot blame anyone else really they only follow what he is ordering and the people who suffer the most are those at the bottom.

Worst ever work experience

Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Ladbrokes

Pros

None, there is nothing good about this company.

Cons

bullying, unfair company, rude, un-flexible, not friendly, the worst ever work experience you could have. Don't work here!

respect employees, be honest, don't be unfair, listen people, more ethics, control, manage properly, organise, sustainability, governance, learn, culture, so many things for management to learn...

Ladbrokes review

Current Employee - CSM in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - CSM in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Ladbrokes part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sit about all day and do nothing

Cons

bad company
    don't help with AYTHING

tend to your staff more

Went downhill very quickly

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager

I have been working at Ladbrokes

Pros

If you enjoy watching sport, then great. Great in-shop team, customers become friends too. Can meet some great people.

Cons

Single manning is awful, as a young woman, working alone in the morning and especially until 10 at night, i feel very unsafe and often just feel like an easy target for would be robbers. They train people up to CSM as soon as possible just so they have more staff to single man, (whether you are good at the job or not). They change polices, focuses far too often, usually contradicting themselves. A very unconsistent company, very hard to keep up with procedures and offers, and if you do not do any of it correctly, then ecpect a strict telling off, or disciplinary action. Also, usually have far too many policies to follow at the same time, very unrealistic goals, would be hard to do with at least 3 members of staff, let alone just one. Also, they have no concern about OTC customers anymore, they are far too concerned with knowing all the spending habits of their machine customers. And be prepared to be sent to any shop they feel like on any given day, sometimes with less than an hour notice. Used to be a great place to work 5/6 years ago, but big bosses have gotten far too greedy with their cash cow FOBTs.

Treat your staff with respect, come on to the shop floor and try to implement all the offers and procedures that are expected whilst working alone.

No care for staff

Former Employee - CSM in Stockton-on-Tees, England (UK)
    Former Employee - CSM in Stockton-on-Tees, England (UK)

I worked at Ladbrokes

Pros

Non - a good company to work for in 2006 when I joined but gradually every 'perk' to the job was pulled to increase profits

Cons

No care for staff welfare or safety.

Hell on earth

Former Employee - Deputy Manager in Coventry, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Deputy Manager in Coventry, England (UK)

I worked at Ladbrokes full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nothing positive the job was horrible most of the time.

Cons

Lone working. No breaks. 15 hour shifts. Rubbish management. Safety issues.

Value and protect your staff not treat them like dirt!

could be better

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Ladbrokes full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the people you meet and work with directly everyday are mostly nice and the pay if you're a manager is decent enough

Cons

long hours during the summer, not many perks, not much support or empathy from management

appreciate your staff more

Completely and utterly shambolic. Unbelievable.

Current Employee - CSM in Brighton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - CSM in Brighton, England (UK)

I have been working at Ladbrokes full-time

Pros

The best and only good things? Staff. Generally your co-workers will be the only good thing about your day. Some of your closest friendships can come from this experience, or relationship as you both understand and sympathise with each other and can bond, and have a laugh about it. Other good things, is after a year there are benefits as full sick pay, maternity, paternity, 5 weeks paid holiday. (Which you have to pick more than a year in advance however. The rate of pay is good on the face of it, however the expectations vs the rate of pay, it becomes abysmal.

Cons

What isn't a con with this company? They mentally and physically rape you. The training is substandard at best. They put you in a shop straight away and expect the person whose having to run a shop already to teach them. It's an awkward learning experience, however you'll put it past you and carry on because it's more than Minimum wage, and you feel like you're learning, a bit.
    They want you to run shops after a month, you'll feel like it's because they value you and that they think you're amazing at your job.so they are fast tracking you - unfortunately not.
    They do not have a clear message of what they want you to provide as a service, they move the goal posts so often (I'm talking weekly), you take a week off holiday and boom you're in a disciplinary by 11.
    The hours, 8am til 10pm, you'll be contracted for 35 hours but expected to work 45 and don't be fooled, they won't ask. You'll be based in a shop, but you can be sent anywhere within a 25mile radius, and you think ah they won't send me that far, but they will if they have to and you can't say no. On a plus side, they will pay travel, but not the added four hours you're now spending travelling.
    Sickness, you feel safe as there is a 3 in 6 sick rule, 3 sicknesses in 6 months, it doesn't matter about how long, a day or 6 months, it still has the same severity when it comes to punishment. It also doesn't matter if you're signed off, that doesn't come into consideration as I was told "just because you're signed off doesn't mean you're not Unwell enough to work", so if like me you spend two weeks in a hospital bed signed off, you are well enough to work.
    You will work for the company three years, and actually love it, you will make excuses for the way the treat you, and continue do of they ask. All companies have flaws, however they have no respect for your or the customers. In the last month alone 8 people have been suspended and made to feel like they need to quit, or to be fired. Over, honestly nothing. You may think of me as bitter, but I'm not it's just ridiculous. 8 people, no one stole, no one caused damage, no one argued with a customer, no one fixed a bet, or served an underage customer. It was things like Facebook statuses saying you're sad you shop was closing, but apparently it's slander. Honestly "really sad to see my shop shut, four years on its still a place loved by me and fellow staff, but you can't fix something that is just not working". Beware.

Stop the man hunt.
    Consider adequate training, and proper retraining regularly.
    Think about your staff not money.

I enjoyed my time there.

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at Ladbrokes full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good if you like sport, horse racing, dogs etc. Flexible with hours - when I was at university and work experience, they were happy to work my hours around dates/times.

Cons

As a customer service manager (CSM) I had to single-man the shop daily between 8.30-10am and 8-9.30pm, which as a young woman I didn't feel safe at times - especially in winter! I certainly didn't get paid enough for the amount of responsibility I had.

Listen to the shop staff. They're the ones that deal with customers daily. Sometimes ideas that supervisors or marketplace managers have are unachievable and unrealistic, although it might look good on paper.