Lafarge North America

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Not yet rated.

Lafarge North America President & CEO John Stull

John Stull

Pros
  • The benefits are excellent, the salary range was great and they believe in work/life balance and continual learning, both on and off the job(in 3 reviews)

• Great people, nice benefits, good opportunities for growth(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • This results in dissention among the North American company and distrust/resentment of the French leadership(in 3 reviews)

• Salaries slightly lower than other industries(in 3 reviews)

Selling core aggregate and concrete assets across North America will continue.

Safety Manager (Former Employee)

ProsLafarge used to be a great company to work for. Great compensation with bonus plan with many talented employees. Growth potential and advancement opportunites were numerious.

ConsLafarge in the United States is only a shell of what it used to be. The Company sold many assets the past few years to pay for it's burdensome debt from a middle east purchase of several billion dollars. It was a strategic move that failed and the United States and Canadian operations are paying for it by being sold.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts too late. You missed the opportunity to retain leadership in the United States and Canada. Selling off all your business will only continue to destroy value in North America. Senior Management in France made a terrible error in judgement and now is committed to see it through even though it is not in the interest of its shareholders.

lots of work for not much pay

Project Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

Prosgood working eviroment and people

Consover worked, low paying, no time off

Good company to work for

Financial Accountant (Current Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsReally good benefits that include medical, dental, vision, 401k, life, disability, reimbursements for gym memberships and awesome maternity leave policy! Most management is capable and attentive and they really focus on developing their employees to advance. Low turn-over and great employee morale. Flex-time and ability to work from home.

ConsBusiness structure and environment CONSTANTLY and QUICKLY changes so if you're not used to working in a fast paced, constantly evolving environment, this would not be the company for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith all the constant changes, communicate plans better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Empty

Process Engineer (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

Prostheir knowledge in the field

Constry every thing cheap and half done, with issues later on

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at long term plans and life time cost of projects

Great place to make money when the economy was good.

Utilityman (Former Employee) Waukegan, IL

ProsBeing in a union, we had great wages, plenty of overtime, business was good.

ConsWhen business stopped, lay-offs were by seniority and the hard workers were the first ones to go. Upper management had no clue how we ran the plant.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should dig deeper on how our plant worked instead of assuming.

A lot of people at the top getting very little done to weather the economic turmoil

Director (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsMany talented people in the ranks and middle-management. Very committed, long term employees in Operations. Company takes care of its own.

ConsCrony-ism. Leaders that fail are not replaced. Poor decision making or slow decision making has been costly. Company is no longer able to make critical investments in facilities and technology. Low-morale and lack of confidence in the future of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany needs new ideas from talented leadership outside of the company.

Great benifits, Great people

CUSTOMER VALUE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) Reston, VA

Pros-Great Benifits
    -Yearly Bonus structure
    -Pension
    - Great location
    -Great people

Cons-Not many opportunities to move up
    -Weak management
    -micro management

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Not so good experience as expected

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsWork-life benefits, social events, networking with other departments on a regular basis.

ConsSenior management highly demanding and stressing employees in all departments. No communication with staff, no goal setting, and strategy alignment within departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet goals and create strategy, clear evaluation criteria and expectations.

Employee centered company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsThey are really focused on making the employees happy. They try to empower all employees and managers to control their own area of responsibility.

ConsIn trying to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one. Too much read tape in trying to get things done.

Advice to Senior Managementstream line the decision making process, git rid of all the committees and teams and allow the subject matter experts to do their jobs.

Limiited career opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsLafarge offer one of best overall compensation package for employees; it has some intelligent people to work with most of time.

ConsIn corporate offices, there are ver limited career advance opportunity in certain position for minorities. It has a high pressure work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management will need to think of ways to retain some of the best people there in corporate office so they don't lose talent.

Worked for Lafarge North America? Contribute to the Community!